Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011
Games journalism occasionally useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems
I know we just had a similar discussion, but :(

the developers of Full Bore posted:

Onlysol [developer] Aug 26 @ 12:55pm
The previous posters have summed up our rationale for going bundle so soon pretty well. Exposure was definitely a huge motivator. Agreed about this being the end of the gaming bubble, though. Full Bore's sales were way below even my pessimistic estimates, to the point that we haven't even recouped our (quite low) development costs yet.

chumplestiltskins [developer] Aug 26 @ 4:00pm
We're continuing to hustle for the game, but its mostly for funsies from here on out, barring some sudden and amazing exposure or sales spike.

I know that, the gaming market being what it is, I can't honestly recommend getting Full Bore at the full $15 price point, but if you like puzzle platforming games then do please consider wishlisting it for the next big sale or something. I honestly feel bad that I got it in the bundle, since I had already heard of and had my eye on it, and it's a really exceptional game and easily worth at least $5-7. I'll probably buy some copies to gift the next time there's a less ludicrous price drop.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Occultatio posted:

I know we just had a similar discussion, but :(

I know that, the gaming market being what it is, I can't honestly recommend getting Full Bore at the full $15 price point, but if you like puzzle platforming games then do please consider wishlisting it for the next big sale or something. I honestly feel bad that I got it in the bundle, since I had already heard of and had my eye on it, and it's a really exceptional game and easily worth at least $5-7. I'll probably buy some copies to gift the next time there's a less ludicrous price drop.

Supply and demand is crushing these people. With great games like FTL, Terraria, Hotline: Miami, Super Meat Boy, Minecraft, Limbo, Braid, Spelunky, and others crowding the indie market, who but the most dedicated gamer has the time and money for the lesser-known releases? They really have to be innovative to get our $$$.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

LLCoolJD posted:

Supply and demand is crushing these people. With great games like FTL, Terraria, Hotline: Miami, Super Meat Boy, Minecraft, Limbo, Braid, Spelunky, and others crowding the indie market, who but the most dedicated gamer has the time and money for the lesser-known releases?

There's also the utility factor to consider. Like, full AAA retail games can usually be found for £30-£40, but an indie game (even if it is a fun one) asking for £15+ has always seemed like a high requirement for what you get.

In looking at the overall history of the indie games, I kinda think the indie market's optimum price point is around the £7 mark and that if it gets positive reviews, it's more likely to sell a bucketload at that price rather than a "bubble bursting" trickle at £15.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

LLCoolJD posted:

Supply and demand is crushing these people. With great games like FTL, Terraria, Hotline: Miami, Super Meat Boy, Minecraft, Limbo, Braid, Spelunky, and others crowding the indie market, who but the most dedicated gamer has the time and money for the lesser-known releases? They really have to be innovative to get our $$$.

You mean another standard platformer isn't making anyone large amounts of money? Good gosh. But they had a pig and everything. :(

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Wow I'm pretty impressed with Steamos's driver support. I got some cheap 360 wireless adapater that I can't figure out how to make function on windows 7, but steamos detected it right away.

Hell it even detected my ps3 controller, and on pc that requires some weird 3rd party software.

Though playing on wifi has terrible lag so I need a long network cable. And I also have to switch the sound to hdmi output each startup. Besides that it's pretty great, just need a steam controller and I can finally invite some friends over to co-op some pc games.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Harminoff posted:

Wow I'm pretty impressed with Steamos's driver support. I got some cheap 360 wireless adapater that I can't figure out how to make function on windows 7, but steamos detected it right away.

Hell it even detected my ps3 controller, and on pc that requires some weird 3rd party software.

Though playing on wifi has terrible lag so I need a long network cable. And I also have to switch the sound to hdmi output each startup. Besides that it's pretty great, just need a steam controller and I can finally invite some friends over to co-op some pc games.

Is SteamOS still not supporting half of the graphics cards? I couldn't get mine to show anything but a blank screen on startup when I tried SteamOS a few months back.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

computer parts posted:

I approve of this because it means that lots of people get mad at internet caps.

Elder Scrolls Online: 80 GB hard drive space required :hfive:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Drifter posted:

You mean another standard platformer isn't making anyone large amounts of money? Good gosh. But they had a pig and everything. :(

full bore: the standard platformer without a jump button

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Drifter posted:

It's not a platformer :confused:

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

Harminoff posted:

Does it take input from it, too? Windows 8.1 detected my PS3 controller fine, but I had to get the XInput wrappers to get it working like a 360 controller.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Quest For Glory II posted:

It's that rarest of 2D indie games, the puzzle platformer

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

zonar posted:

Does it take input from it, too? Windows 8.1 detected my PS3 controller fine, but I had to get the XInput wrappers to get it working like a 360 controller.

Yes, didn't even have to configure it. Plug and play.

And about video, I'm just using a laptop with built in video but I did hear that the video drivers have gotten a lot better. My hdmi output resolution was broke and did take some editing of a text file to fix, but besides that is been great. Just wish streaming was a background service on the main PC.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

LLCoolJD posted:

Supply and demand is crushing these people.

Probably didn't help I haven't heard about the game until it was in the bundle!

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Quest For Glory II posted:

So, okay, it's primarily a puzzle game, but it's definitely also a platformer, inasmuch as the puzzles all revolve around managing your physical location, and the goal of many of them is to navigate your character from point A to point B.

But more importantly: so what? Why should the fact that it's in a currently popular genre have anything to do with this conversation? Every indie genre is glutted right now. My point is that, regardless of how many other games look similar on paper, this one is actually something special and worthy of more attention than most of them, and that it's sad it hasn't gotten it (and specifically hasn't even earned back its production costs).

Like, I understand why this is the current state of the industry and all, which is specifically why I'm bothering to give this one particular game some positive word-of-mouth. I don't get the snarky responses to that impulse.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Occultatio posted:

So, okay, it's primarily a puzzle game, but it's definitely also a platformer, inasmuch as the puzzles all revolve around managing your physical location, and the goal of many of them is to navigate your character from point A to point B.

But more importantly: so what? Why should the fact that it's in a currently popular genre have anything to do with this conversation? Every indie genre is glutted right now. My point is that, regardless of how many other games look similar on paper, this one is actually something special and worthy of more attention than most of them, and that it's sad it hasn't gotten it (and specifically hasn't even earned back its production costs).

Like, I understand why this is the current state of the industry and all, which is specifically why I'm bothering to give this one particular game some positive word-of-mouth. I don't get the snarky responses to that impulse.

Why is it good? What makes it better than the others?

Besides being 'exceptional' and 'good'?

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Occultatio posted:

Because posts like that where devs blame their lack of success on "the industry" are annoying and dumb. The industry is by far more open and reachable now, especially for small-time game makers, than it ever has been before. Just because you make a good game / song / book / plastic butt scratcher does not automatically entail worldwide fame and ten billion dollars. There's more to business success than that.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I tend to check the new releases every single day, and this is the first time I recall hearing of that game's existence. It's possible I may have pulled up the page and just saw nothing to catch my interest and quickly forgot about it, though. Usually if a game looks even remotely fun or unique I'll throw it on my wishlist for sale pickup. Although as reliable as Steam's list of games has been recently, it's possible it never even showed up on new releases. They've been pretty bad for a while now.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
I stopped checking new releases awhile ago, around when Steam Shots stopped. It's just not worth flipping over to the tab to see what new bunch of shovelware got piled onto steam from a dev's back catalog. If there's something I'm interested in, I usually have it wishlisted from the moment it has a steam page. I do miss out on stuff I've been looking forward to, though, like The Journey Down: Chapter 2.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Drifter posted:

It applies some of the game design of Fez without being up its own rear end

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

They can be very good.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Ddraig posted:

I'm going to dissent a bit and say dodging is probably more important than parry in MGR. Dodge allows to attack at the same time, has invincibility frames, and allows you to continue your combo. A lot of bosses become ridiculously easy if you learn how to dodge well. Sundowner in particular is a joke, as his explosive shield can be triggered with the dodge attack, and the damage completely ignored thanks to the invincibility frames. You can get a several hundred hit combo on him if you wish.

You don't get Red Sun's lyrics if you don't deal with that shield, so dodging is automatically a lesser mechanic.

Also the first DLC character is the greatest.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Scalding Coffee posted:

They can be very good.

Example: Escape Goat

But with steam releasing 5-10 games a day, most being crap, it's hard to sort out what is good. That and knowing that if you wait a while you can probably get it in either a bundle for 80% off or in a steam sale makes getting people to purchase indie games at full price next to impossible.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Scalding Coffee posted:

They can be very good.

That doesn't mean it's not a genre that's hard to stand out in. Even the positive reviews for the game make note of the fact that it seems like every other little 2d puzzle platformer. It sucks that you can't just put in the work to make a good game and be successful (and I mean that honestly), but that's how it is. This page of this thread is the first time I'm even hearing about it, and I generally follow kickstarter and indie gaming news.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

Drifter posted:

First, to quote myself from a few pages back:

Occultatio posted:

The map/hinting-what-you're-missing system is great, it lets you easily find the nicely discrete puzzles scattered throughout the large rooms, and the puzzles have had really, really great difficulty balance -- with almost every single one that hasn't been trivial, I've gone from feeling really stupid to feeling really smart. Basically they all have great "aha!" moments in their solutions, and unlike e.g. Toki Tori 2+ none of them have been so hard that I couldn't even figure out what I was trying to do or how to start.

Plus pretty much every aspect of the art design is solid -- the visuals aren't spectacular, and the soundtrack is funky if a little simplistic, but all their assets are used really, really well to build the sense of mystery and backstory.

But I can be more specific, if you want. I actually wrote a full, detailed review on Steam, but to directly address your question of what makes it better than other puzzle platformers (of which I have played a lot), I think the answer is simply that its puzzles are almost all, individually, elegant.

To unpack: the relatively small size of the puzzles means that they're never intimidating or overwhelming. Often, between the first 1-3 moves are either really obvious or actually, upon closer examination, set in stone, such that rather than being paralyzed by scale and options you are encouraged to start solving right away and build some mental momentum.

The puzzles also limit branching -- even when the initial complexity seems daunting (like, an entire room of diggable dirt, with six scattered boxes that you have to make sure line up properly when they hit the floor), once you actually start moving you generally discover that the path to the solution becomes clearer as you go, with only occasional points where you have to make an actual decision. The key, though, is that those critical branching points are hidden when you first look at the puzzle; it is only through working through it that you start to see the structure.

This leads to the phenomenon I described earlier: the puzzles make you feel stupid at first, like "I have no idea how to even attempt this" stupid, but are in fact just simple enough in their logical structure that they can be solved through minimal trial and error and careful thought. It's an incredibly rewarding and satisfying process, and one that very few puzzle games are able to capture with the same consistency that Full Bore does. For instance, Toki Tori 2+ (which is probably the most similar to this game "mechanically" of any I've played) veers way too far towards overwhelming the player, such that there were multiple puzzles I found, poked around at, tried some things, and still had no idea what I was even trying to accomplish or whether I was making forward progress.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

So it's been a little while since I grabbed a game through Steam, but now I noticed that I don't have to log into my PayPal anymore and Steam just automates the purchase. I really don't feel good about Steam storing my log in info somewhere. So now I wonder if that has become mandatory, or if I can go back to the manual login procedure?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
IndieGala has just launched their worst bundle yet:

Pay $1.99 or more to GET THIS BUNDLE before PRICE INCREASES!
WASTELAND ANGEL
POST APOCALYPTIC MAYHEM
GROTESQUE TACTICS:Evil Heroes
GROTESQUE TACTICS 2:Dungeons and Donuts
GREED:Black Border
ROBIN HOOD:The Legend of Sherwood
AVENCAST: Rise of the Mage
SPACE HACK
CRASH TIME 2
SPACE TRADER: Merchant Marine

Woof.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I have actually always had a morbid want to play the Grotesque Tactics game and Greed - I just have a thing for both TBS games and horrible ones I guess?

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

Lance Streetman posted:

I stopped checking new releases awhile ago, around when Steam Shots stopped. It's just not worth flipping over to the tab to see what new bunch of shovelware got piled onto steam from a dev's back catalog. If there's something I'm interested in, I usually have it wishlisted from the moment it has a steam page. I do miss out on stuff I've been looking forward to, though, like The Journey Down: Chapter 2.

Is SteamShots over with? Its been awhile since I've watched.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

SpicyMeatSandwich posted:

Is SteamShots over with? Its been awhile since I've watched.

Axe posts the odd video, but it's dead as a regular series. Wasn't popular enough to sustain.

Nilbog Resident
Dec 23, 2005

X Y v ^
I grabbed up Sleeping Dogs last sale because of how much everyone raved about it in the old thread, and I can't find a dedicated thread for it in the forum, so I thought I might ask this here.

I got the full version that came with all DLC/bonus packs. I started the main campaign with all of the packs turned off, and all was well. However, after the first mission, every single one of them activated and shot me up to near-max level in Police and Triad, gave me plenty of Face, $200k, a shitload of crazy vehicles, outfits, and I'm pretty sure there's a grenade launcher and an anime sword laying around my apartment. It took like 5 minutes of clicking to get through all of that poo poo.

Is there any way to make this, uh, not happen? I have no will to play the game if I'm basically starting it with what amounts to cheat codes. All of this stuff would be really cool if it were unlocked gradually and through gameplay, but coming at me like this it just instantly kills the fun and sense of progression for me.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Nilbog Resident posted:

I grabbed up Sleeping Dogs last sale because of how much everyone raved about it in the old thread, and I can't find a dedicated thread for it in the forum, so I thought I might ask this here.

I got the full version that came with all DLC/bonus packs. I started the main campaign with all of the packs turned off, and all was well. However, after the first mission, every single one of them activated and shot me up to near-max level in Police and Triad, gave me plenty of Face, $200k, a shitload of crazy vehicles, outfits, and I'm pretty sure there's a grenade launcher and an anime sword laying around my apartment. It took like 5 minutes of clicking to get through all of that poo poo.

Is there any way to make this, uh, not happen? I have no will to play the game if I'm basically starting it with what amounts to cheat codes. All of this stuff would be really cool if it were unlocked gradually and through gameplay, but coming at me like this it just instantly kills the fun and sense of progression for me.
You can disable DLC now through the Steam client. Just right click the game in your library and go into the downloadable content. You want to disable High Roller, the Top Dogs, and the Red Envelope DLCs.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Also the thread for it is right here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3489066

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Nilbog Resident posted:

Right click on the game -> downloadable content -> untick Top Dog Gold Pack, Red Envelope Pack, High Roller Pack, and Top Dog Silver Pack.

There's a few more you can toggle off if the bonus weapons/outfits really bug you, but I don't remember what unlocks what at this point.

e:mostly beaten

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 7, 2014

Nilbog Resident
Dec 23, 2005

X Y v ^
Thanks dudes. I was really going to be bummed, I don't think I could play through the game as it is.

I don't know how I missed the thread. I guess I should have scoured the forums a bit instead of just plugging in a search. :effort:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Harminoff posted:

Example: Escape Goat

But with steam releasing 5-10 games a day, most being crap, it's hard to sort out what is good. That and knowing that if you wait a while you can probably get it in either a bundle for 80% off or in a steam sale makes getting people to purchase indie games at full price next to impossible.

I wouldn't even say it's just bad poo poo. That's easy enough to ignore. So much good stuff is releasing every month now I have to pass up on lesser known indie games just to get the stuff that's been marketed better. Used to be you'd get two AAA games a month, then about 2-3 indies worth the price. Now it's 5-10 indies ( all around $10-$15 ) worth the price, and 2-3 AAA games. It makes stuff like Full Bore/Space Run fall through the cracks.

I'd say he's right that the indie bubble has popped, but I think it's mainly due to too many people going indie. You have to work so much harder now making sure your product gets recognized, because there is so much more competition.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

Axe posts the odd video, but it's dead as a regular series. Wasn't popular enough to sustain.

Not like it would've been able to keep its format now that Steam is making GBS threads shovelware all over the place, anyway.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I finally bought the missing Sleeping Dogs DLC. Wheels of Fury is pretty ok... they could have done more with it, but the car is cool at least. Like that it makes a dubstep womp womp when it's charged the EMP.

Year of the Snake is something else. Got my first patrol mission.. some dude grabbed a guy's poo poo and was running off. Does Shen give chase? Does he gently caress, he shoots the guy with a pump action shotty twice and the mission is done.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Rookersh posted:

I wouldn't even say it's just bad poo poo. That's easy enough to ignore. So much good stuff is releasing every month now I have to pass up on lesser known indie games just to get the stuff that's been marketed better. Used to be you'd get two AAA games a month, then about 2-3 indies worth the price. Now it's 5-10 indies ( all around $10-$15 ) worth the price, and 2-3 AAA games. It makes stuff like Full Bore/Space Run fall through the cracks.

I'd say he's right that the indie bubble has popped, but I think it's mainly due to too many people going indie. You have to work so much harder now making sure your product gets recognized, because there is so much more competition.

Yeah you are right. I think a lot of it has to do with the resources available to people now. Lots of game engines to choose from with endless amount of resources to learn how to use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Mokinokaro posted:

Should swap booze for tits and stick it on anything other than youtube. It would probably get a million hits a week.

• Locked thread