Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Around the time of the first Wrestlemania and its follow-ups Albano was a face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

EugeneJ posted:

Liz was heel the last half of her career.

Paul Ellering managing The Road Warriors was mostly a face for his career.

And then he become Mr Dot Com and turned heel.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Gedo's doing a real good job of being a face manager for Okada right now.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

projecthalaxy posted:

Has there ever been a really amazing/legendary face manager? I was thinking of this and all the all-time great managers I can picture (Heyman, Heenan, Cornette, Blassie, and so on) almost always were heels, or were their best as heels. The biggest I can think of that I 100% identify as a face would be Miss Elizabeth. Wasn't Albano usually a heel?

Paul Bearer was just as good speaking for a face Undertaker as a heel. But the alignment tree of Taker/Kane/Bearer is so tangled, it's hard to think of any of them as more heel or face.

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
Serving up a hot buttered stabbing

projecthalaxy posted:

Has there ever been a really amazing/legendary face manager? I was thinking of this and all the all-time great managers I can picture (Heyman, Heenan, Cornette, Blassie, and so on) almost always were heels, or were their best as heels. The biggest I can think of that I 100% identify as a face would be Miss Elizabeth. Wasn't Albano usually a heel?

Watching Jimmy Hart as a face manager for Hogan's early WCW run was really weird. Doesn't really fit as I wouldn't call it amazing/legendary -- just weird.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Maxwell Lord posted:

Around the time of the first Wrestlemania and its follow-ups Albano was a face.

If i recall he was turned face after appearing in that Goonies music video, right?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I seem to vaguely recall Heyman cutting face promos for Sabu against Cactus Jack (?) at some point

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

What's the Kliq Denny's story again? I heard the gist on a podcast but I can't remember if the full story is on a Nash shoot or a Sean Waltman shoot.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Watching WCW Nitro with my wife, and she never heard of Stevie Ray from Harlem Heat. What happened to him. She said it's weird because when you have a famous sibling, they can usually drag their brother along with them. Did Stevie just get out of the business, or did WWE not have any interest?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

iirc he retired near WCW's end but also his singles career just kinda went nowhere because he was much, much less talented than Booker T

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Cardboard Box posted:

iirc he retired near WCW's end but also his singles career just kinda went nowhere because he was much, much less talented than Booker T

He had a bunch of neck and back issues too, and for the last few years of his career he wasn't ever really healthy.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!
I believe he became a trainer for the wwe? Even so 'fruit booties', who can forget that insult.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

ColeM posted:

I believe he became a trainer for the wwe? Even so 'fruit booties', who can forget that insult.

I believe he started a wrestling school with Booker, which was one of the places where WWE sent dudes to make them slightly less terrible (ie. The Boogeyman) before NXT and FCW was a thing.

I still think he's involved in the Reality of Wrestling fed the school turned into.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

ColeM posted:

He opened a school with Booker T at least. WCW tried to make him a commentator but he was about as bad as Mongo at that.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Have there ever been instances of a wrestler straight up beating up the ref during a match?

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

projecthalaxy posted:

Arnold Skaaland is the closest I can come to thinking of one, though I don't know if he was 'legendary.' I only knew of him from Aptermags, and not a single word after he tossed in the towel in Backlund's loss to the Iron Sheik.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

EugeneJ posted:

In WWE I remember Bret flying through a table in some match

EDIT: Diesel vs. Bret, Survivor Series 95
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7VGYonDdP8

I love the kids running up to the railing at the end of this clip like they just can't process what they've seen.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

BigRed0427 posted:

Have there ever been instances of a wrestler straight up beating up the ref during a match?
If I remember right, I believe the Masked Assassin turned face and sort-of revealed his identity when some other wrestlers really laid into his son (Nick Patrick) after a match. I wish I could find that promo now; it was great.

Speaking of promos, I have read about a brief gimmick that Jack Victory did for WCW after the New Zealand Special Forces broke up; he was "Secret Service" Jack Victory. I know that he talked about enjoying it in shoot interviews, and that it was included in one of the old Wrestlecrap compilations, but I can't find it now.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 8, 2014

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Thauros posted:

Gedo's doing a real good job of being a face manager for Okada right now.

They were heel-ish to tweener up until this May or April anyways. Not exactly the classic baby face shtick, even like Tanahashi does.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Was there ever any talk about what was planned to happen with the Taker/Punk feud if Paul Bearer hadn't died? Was it just going to be a straight up feud where Taker didn't take a punk kid seriously or what? I highly doubt they'd have had Punk break the streak otherwise, but I can't imagine what was actually planned.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

If I remember right, I believe the Masked Assassin turned face and sort-of revealed his identity when some other wrestlers really laid into his son (Nick Patrick) after a match. I wish I could find that promo now; it was great.

Speaking of promos, I have read about a brief gimmick that Jack Victory did for WCW after the New Zealand Special Forces broke up; he was "Secret Service" Jack Victory. I know that he talked about enjoying it in shoot interviews, and that it was included in one of the old Wrestlecrap compilations, but I can't find it now.

IIRC, he was a bodyguard for Paul E. Dangerously.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

Was there ever any talk about what was planned to happen with the Taker/Punk feud if Paul Bearer hadn't died? Was it just going to be a straight up feud where Taker didn't take a punk kid seriously or what? I highly doubt they'd have had Punk break the streak otherwise, but I can't imagine what was actually planned.

"The one in twenty and one" makes a lot more sense than "The one in twenty-one and one" they went with.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

BigRed0427 posted:

Scott Hall during his Fall Brawl 1997 with Savage against Luger/DDP.

Beats up and KOs Nick Patrick and then stomps Mickey Jay in the head when he comes out to replace him.

This led to Larry Zybysko decrying how the nWo makes their own rules and how we can't trust them, followed by him walking to the ring and counting a pinfall as an unsanctioned referee.

And the entire Larry Legend/Scott Hall feud. Ugh.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Austin and HBK both beat up refs in the 97 KOTR match.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

harperdc posted:

They were heel-ish to tweener up until this May or April anyways. Not exactly the classic baby face shtick, even like Tanahashi does.

That's what I love about NJPW, CHAOS's turn from heel to tweener last year and tweener to basically full on face this year was handled gradually and organically without just turning them into Tanahashi clones.

Loved Gedo's work during the main event and especially the post match on Friday's Korakuen show for example. I really think he helped the crowd buy into YOSHI-HASHI.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2...-fale-doc_sport

The match itself is worth watching, but people shouldnat least check out his post match promo (includes insulting the BC in English)

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

oldskool posted:

"The one in twenty and one" makes a lot more sense than "The one in twenty-one and one" they went with.

Although technically, Heyman is also behind the one in 21 too.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!
In IYH Ground Zero Undertaker and HBK demolished all but one of the refs in the roster, and that one ref called for the bell for a no contest. Then most of the wrestlers came out to break the two up, to which they all got laid out with a Taker Dive.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

sticklefifer posted:

Although technically, Heyman is also behind the one in 21 too.

Paul Heyman is the one behind the one who conquered the one who thought he was the one to beat the one in "twenty-one and one."

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

The young bucks attack the ref all the time, sometimes even before the bell

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

So, World War 3 '95 has the infamous "The Internet got the scoops brother" promo from Hogan. He has his dig at Meltzer where he said that The Giant was going to win the tournament. Does anyone know if Giant was actually supposed to win it? Because they do that thing where Macho Man had an injured arm but doesn't really have an injured arm and they 'tricked' everyone which seems like a very last minute thing to reveal.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

DrVenkman posted:

So, World War 3 '95 has the infamous "The Internet got the scoops brother" promo from Hogan. He has his dig at Meltzer where he said that The Giant was going to win the tournament. Does anyone know if Giant was actually supposed to win it? Because they do that thing where Macho Man had an injured arm but doesn't really have an injured arm and they 'tricked' everyone which seems like a very last minute thing to reveal.

I'm pretty sure Macho actually did have an injured arm too haha

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DrVenkman posted:

Giant was supposed to win until they changed everything up a few weeks prior, which was reported in the Observer too!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I'm watching an interview with Kevin Sullivan and he's talking about an angle where Hogan and Miss Elizabeth were together and Savage and Linda Bollea were together in 1996. Sullivan suspected that Hogan and Linda were trying to get Savage and Elizabeth set up again while commenting on how paranoid Savage was at the time. When did it become general knowledge how bad Savage treated Miss Elizabeth?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

I'm watching an interview with Kevin Sullivan and he's talking about an angle where Hogan and Miss Elizabeth were together and Savage and Linda Bollea were together in 1996. Sullivan suspected that Hogan and Linda were trying to get Savage and Elizabeth set up again while commenting on how paranoid Savage was at the time. When did it become general knowledge how bad Savage treated Miss Elizabeth?

I think they knew pretty early on. It was 'observed' that Savage was overly protective of Elizabeth. By overly protective I mean constantly paranoid that people were going to take her away.

Hell they even worked it in to stories where he would never let her speak, which by all accounts wasn't that far from the truth. But hey, it was ignored when you're talent.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
I vaguely recall a very brief storyline in which a main event face had failed to take the title away from some heel in a position of great power, and as a result for losing, was busted all the way back down the card, to jobber status.

He probably didn't actually job to anyone, but he had his theme music and pyro taken away.. Any idea what I'm actually thinking about?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Tyma posted:

I vaguely recall a very brief storyline in which a main event face had failed to take the title away from some heel in a position of great power, and as a result for losing, was busted all the way back down the card, to jobber status.

He probably didn't actually job to anyone, but he had his theme music and pyro taken away.. Any idea what I'm actually thinking about?

Didn't they do that to Austin?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It kind of sounds like when Booker T lost his music and his pyro and the letter T (really) to Stevie Ray.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

Tyma posted:

MVP?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Tyma posted:

HHH did that to Rock for like... a week in 2000. He said he had to fight his way back up the card and made him face the Brawler or something like that.

Didn't take away his music though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Tyma posted:

Everyone who's ever lost to Cena, greatest heel in WWE.