Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Teledahn posted:

I may be being somewhat incompetent, but how do I find what I need to put in the Starsector folder?

Yeah. this was a nightmare to do. So, find out where your Java is. Then open up in Starsector-core folder, and look for a starsector.bat file. Open it with Edit.

Then paste this in

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\java" -Djava.library.path=native\windows -Xms1024m -Xmx1024m -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.logs=. -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.saves=..\saves -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.screenshots=..\screenshots -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.mods=..\mods -classpath janino.jar;commons-compiler.jar;commons-compiler-jdk.jar;starfarer.res.jar;starfarer.api.jar;starfarer_obf.jar;jogg-0.0.7.jar;jorbis-0.0.15.jar;json.jar;lwjgl.jar;lwjgl_util_applet.jar;jinput.jar;lwjgl_test.jar;log4j-1.2.9.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;fs.sound_obf.jar;fs.common_obf.jar;xstream-1.4.2.jar com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher

The "C:\Program Files..." part should be where your Java is, so the Java\jre7\bin\java should probably be the same, except for where it is on your computer.

The -Xms1024m -Xmx1024m part can be edited for how much ram (I think) you want to allocate. 1024 is pretty good, since the base is 512 and Out of Memory errors happen a lot, so you prolly want to up it.

If you want 2048, it'd be -Xms2048m -Xmx2048m

So yeah, fix the relevant parts and just copy-paste that over whatever else is in the starsector.bat file, and when you want to launch the game, just run that file, and it'll load (with a little command thingy open) with all the edited stuff. Made a big difference for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I see from the blog that it has been a while since an update. If these blog posts are any indication, the next major update is going to be big.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Oh, of course, it's so obvious now. Thanks!

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Teledahn posted:

Oh, of course, it's so obvious now. Thanks!

Its definitely an intuitive change that everyone should be able to instantly recognize!

I didn't even know it wasn't running in 64 this morning, and it only took me two hours to figure out, while looking at the guide, what the hell I was supposed to do. I hope Alex fixes this in the new build, since its really an important fix.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
I bought Starsector/farer ages ago, and while disappointed that it doesn't seem to be even close to being finished yet, I am getting very excited by those blog posts about trading, smuggling, customs scans and whatnot.

Oh please let this game be good and awesome and accessible. :pray:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Frungy! posted:

I bought Starsector/farer ages ago, and while disappointed that it doesn't seem to be even close to being finished yet, I am getting very excited by those blog posts about trading, smuggling, customs scans and whatnot.

Oh please let this game be good and awesome and accessible. :pray:

It already is though?

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Artificer posted:

It already is though?

I wouldn't know, but great if it is.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
It's not yet as good as mount and blade (in my opinion), but hopefully it will be soon. The combat is great, just need some more campaign/map elements and I think we'll be set.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=8201.0

This is happening right now, in case anyone wants to join the spergery :unsmigghh:

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=8201.0

This is happening right now, in case anyone wants to join the spergery :unsmigghh:

Oh thank god there is still a blackrock space open. Time to sperg!

E: Nope, last post in the thread is more Blackrock. My day is ruined ;_;

Brainbread fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 8, 2014

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Roll one of the factions that can use any tech, Pirates are really cool and I'd probably roll that if I didn't have to represent

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Will there be video recording of this tournament? :allears:

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Artificer posted:

Will there be video recording of this tournament? :allears:

Every match is getting posted on Youtube.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
I hope someone wins with a carrier and a thousand fighters and bombers

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

So. Because I love Lotus Conglomerate so much I've been fixing and updating them from a pre-systems Era to actually working in the main game. Some minor issues arose, like, missing random sound files but the core mod is working again (woo).

Now, I just need to rifle through other mods to figure out how they integrate into Exerlin and beat my head over that. I would say "wish me luck" but I have zero experience in this field so I have no idea.

Its fun tho!

Edit: Apparently editing in burn values to the ships breaks it! I am so confused. I like how it worked for 5 minutes perfectly then just stopped ;_;

Brainbread fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 18, 2014

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Exerelin integration must happen with the help of the Exerelin mod creator as he is the one who implement core features such as which factions that are selectable. If your faction has previously been integrated and the ship variants are still named as before, then it is easy to implement updates since you only need to change the faction fleetlist which can be found in the exerelin/data/world/factions folder.

Also, if you are going to publish this updated mod be sure to ask the original mod author for permission first.

If you have more questions just ask on the official forums, there are still dozens of modders active there, here we are only 4.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Thanks Zudgemud. I've got it working, and updated. This time without it crashing constantly. I'm gonna go through the fleet lists and make them a bit more consistent. I'll see if I can get a hold of Dante80 and see if they're ok with me posting it again.

Balance on the otherhand will take a while.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
More patch notes here, can't wait to play around with this.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Zudgemud posted:

Heeeeee! The removal of daily supply costs is such a nice change. Its no longer expensive to just own ships, and faster reaper torpedoes! They really needed it.

The removal of burn bonus from Unstable Injector makes sense, since i tended to just dump it on all of my freighters so I didn't have a terrible fleet speed.

Though, the change to reduce salvage from combat fleets will be strange. In my experience, supply fleets are usually something you kill early game for money, and then you graduate onto the bigger fish. Will hunting supply fleets all game long for extra cash be fun? Though, I guess it depends on how much less salvage you get from combats. CR and repairs + a bit is usually good, but I wonder if it'll even be that much.

Anyways, super excited.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Brainbread posted:

Heeeeee! The removal of daily supply costs is such a nice change. Its no longer expensive to just own ships, and faster reaper torpedoes! They really needed it.

The removal of burn bonus from Unstable Injector makes sense, since i tended to just dump it on all of my freighters so I didn't have a terrible fleet speed.

Though, the change to reduce salvage from combat fleets will be strange. In my experience, supply fleets are usually something you kill early game for money, and then you graduate onto the bigger fish. Will hunting supply fleets all game long for extra cash be fun? Though, I guess it depends on how much less salvage you get from combats. CR and repairs + a bit is usually good, but I wonder if it'll even be that much.

Anyways, super excited.

Reducing combat salvage is almost certainly to encourage actually using the new trading and bounty systems for getting money. What will be cool is that doing stuff like hunting supply fleets will not only get you booty, but will also affect the economy.

This patch is gonna own hard

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Those missile changes look loving terrifying, especially since the Lasher and Wolf both just lost their Omni shields.

In soviet Starsector, Buffalo eats you.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Sep 25, 2014

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
I'm imagining Pilum LRMs actually being scary now, this will be ridiculous. Maybe now I'll actually mount a missile on the Tempest?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Tanith posted:

Every match is getting posted on Youtube.

So... where is the link?

feedtheid
Oct 17, 2006

we get it, you're too busy fellating Gabe to put yourself into someone else's shoes
Tourney hasn't started yet, so no links. They're apparently waiting on a mod author to finish some poo poo up or something

sirboomalot posted:

Any start time planned?

Dark.Revenant posted:

Not yet; I'm waiting on a particular mod release before I begin the tournament.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Zudgemud posted:

You can really see why this next version has taken so long. There's about a hundred new systems in there, all interconnected. Unless they all get rolled out together, you'll end up with a horrible mess and nothing stable for modders to work with for months.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Dominic White posted:

You can really see why this next version has taken so long. There's about a hundred new systems in there, all interconnected. Unless they all get rolled out together, you'll end up with a horrible mess and nothing stable for modders to work with for months.

So, pretty much the problem that Mount & Blade has. And since Alex is a fan of the game, I can see why he's trying his best to not be it =P

E: For anyone who doesn't know, Mount & Blade comes out with minor updates fairly often. Except they change almost inconsequential things and completely break very popular mods. So most people just forgo updating the game until the mods are updated as well, since they're a thousand times more important than the base game. They also usually fix the things that the later updates fiddle with.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Ya the Sector Battles tournament has been held up by the new Exigency patch, which is out now and features crazy poo poo like every ship having a ship system as the right-click action, incl a teleporter built from scratch (not a modded Phase Teleporter). Check it out!

In other news, Mshadowy drew a Karkinos.

You can get a wallpaper sized one here.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Tanith posted:

I'm imagining Pilum LRMs actually being scary now, this will be ridiculous. Maybe now I'll actually mount a missile on the Tempest?

If you have a fast firing missile active ability the Pilums are the scariest missiles in vanilla, mainly because they have a lot of ammo.
The reaper changes from the patch notes are nice, but I think they could take some inspiration from classic WW2 torpedo usage - long reloads, lots of ammo, basically infinite range, unguided and fired in spreads. Something to keep the PD busy and force the other side to dodge (so the opposite of how you use torpedoes right now - point blank and after you've disabled the PD).

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

DatonKallandor posted:

If you have a fast firing missile active ability the Pilums are the scariest missiles in vanilla, mainly because they have a lot of ammo.
The reaper changes from the patch notes are nice, but I think they could take some inspiration from classic WW2 torpedo usage - long reloads, lots of ammo, basically infinite range, unguided and fired in spreads. Something to keep the PD busy and force the other side to dodge (so the opposite of how you use torpedoes right now - point blank and after you've disabled the PD).

As it stands, thats sort of the issue I have with most missiles, especially against capital ships. They have so much drat PD that you pretty much have to overload them to get your torpedoes for missiles to hit. Though, with 10 points into Missiles in the Combat tree, they are really really good. Torpedoes go fast enough that PD can't put enough damage in when you fire them at short-medium ranges, and Pilums are as fast as Harpoons.

If those bonuses stay the same, missiles will be extra fantastic in the coming patch. I'm pretty excited for missile boats.

Also, has anyone used the anti-PD upgrade for missiles? I've looked at it, but never used enough ships with missiles on them to make it seem worthwhile.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DatonKallandor posted:

I've had some joy putting Pilums (pilae?) on support ships. Anything I wouldn't generally want to field in combat but which I will have in the fleet such as a light carrier or heavy supply ship, I can put Pilums on and it will sit at the back just throwing missiles downrage, I've had a number of really good wins because a volley ended up hitting a ship just as I took its shields down, they hurt like hell if you get hit with them and as you say, they have a lot of ammo so you can keep slinging them all round.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

If you really want to have a ship with missiles as the "main armament" you will have to use Annihilators, who pretty much act exactly the way DatonKallandor described. The Annihilator pod is probably the best weapon in the game, especially against low-tech ships. If you have one or two Annihilator pods suppressing a target, they will basically get crippled the moment shields go down. Mix Annihilators with LRMs for an effective screen of bullshit.

The missile changes in the next patch should shake things up, though. Swarmers are gonna be much better now.. kinda dread facing the fighter wings that use them. Cheap shot ships that use finisher missiles might be a lot better due to the AI changes and missile changes... maybe the old Buffalo II will be a bigger threat

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

OwlFancier posted:

I've had some joy putting Pilums (pilae?) on support ships. Anything I wouldn't generally want to field in combat but which I will have in the fleet such as a light carrier or heavy supply ship, I can put Pilums on and it will sit at the back just throwing missiles downrage, I've had a number of really good wins because a volley ended up hitting a ship just as I took its shields down, they hurt like hell if you get hit with them and as you say, they have a lot of ammo so you can keep slinging them all round.

The Venture is pretty much the perfect storm of "this is how a carrier/support ships should work with missiles" with some ludicrous long ranged direct fire punch on top. It's the perfect Pilum user (Fast Missile Racks) but it's also a carrier (so you can keep it out of a fight easily) and it can also mount Heavy Maulers (so frigates generally can't survive a brawl if they get to it through the inevitable fighter swarm).

Really almost all of the vanilla missile weapons are fundamentally broken on a design level - they're all massively ammo limited and reload more or less instantly. The Pilum is how missile design should be done - your limit isn't ammo (it's simply impossible to balance missile ships if they get to fire 3 extremely AI/RNG dependent salvoes in the whole fight and then are a waste of fleet points and hull) it's reload time.

The fact that the missile specific active System cuts reload time means they knew at one point that it should be reload time that's the limiting factor, but somehow along the way they forgot.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 30, 2014

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe
Mid-combat resupply runs really should be a thing, especially for missile boats.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It could also help with ships which can only operate for a short time, like frigates.

Another good use for pilums is chasing down fleeing ships. Even if it doesn't kill them, it does pull them out of engine boost by forcing them to engage their shields or PD weapons, allowing you to catch up.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 30, 2014

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

It could also help with ships which can only operate for a short time, like frigates.

Another good use for pilums is chasing down fleeing ships. Even if it doesn't kill them, it does pull them out of engine boost by forcing them to engage their shields or PD weapons, allowing you to catch up.

Just watch out for missiles that run out of fuel and lose IFF capability. I've lost a few ships to taking my own missiles up the thruster nozzle. :downs:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Missiles do work pretty well even as is, but you have to realize that they're a supplement and 'ace up the sleeve' deal rather than a primary damage source like ballistic and energy weapons. This also works pretty well since most fights are over pretty quick.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

DatonKallandor posted:

The fact that the missile specific active System cuts reload time means they knew at one point that it should be reload time that's the limiting factor, but somehow along the way they forgot.

Not really. You don't find fast missile racks on a ship that can't mount medium or larger missiles, and all pods/LRMs/big Reaper launchers are limited by reload time as well as ammo. Small missiles are chiefly limited by ammo becuse they're supposed to reward reading the situation correctly, so pumping 10 Harpoons into an overloaded ship is a legit strategy on a small frigate. Next patch the AI will also wreck you if they have finisher missiles, possibly making SRM and MRM on frigs a better strategy.

Basically, missiles are high risk, high reward weapons because it allows them to be individually powerful without being overpowered, and creates a weapon class where you're concerned with the state of your target, as opposed to just spamming away (there are still spam missiles, annihilators and LRMs, though) The one mod ship based on spamming vanilla missiles we ever saw got deleted from SS+ from being flat out broken if you have more than three or four in a fleet, and it was a slow, vulnerable ship with ludicrous logistic costs. Missiles simply add up too well in numbers.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Oct 1, 2014

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Missiles simply add up too well in numbers.

Cause they've got no reload times they get to reach those numbers (with very few exceptions).

But hey if you like how the no-reload missiles work I don't think we could ever agree on missile design.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Not really. You don't find fast missile racks on a ship that can't mount medium or larger missiles, and all pods/LRMs/big Reaper launchers are limited by reload time as well as ammo. Small missiles are chiefly limited by ammo becuse they're supposed to reward reading the situation correctly, so pumping 10 Harpoons into an overloaded ship is a legit strategy on a small frigate. Next patch the AI will also wreck you if they have finisher missiles, possibly making SRM and MRM on frigs a better strategy.

Basically, missiles are high risk, high reward weapons because it allows them to be individually powerful without being overpowered, and creates a weapon class where you're concerned with the state of your target, as opposed to just spamming away (there are still spam missiles, annihilators and LRMs, though) The one mod ship based on spamming vanilla missiles we ever saw got deleted from SS+ from being flat out broken if you have more than three or four in a fleet, and it was a slow, vulnerable ship with ludicrous logistic costs. Missiles simply add up too well in numbers.

The mining Carrier... well. Feels a lot like that. It comes with a missile reloader and two Medium Missile slots (for Pilums, really). I was playing with that and a fighter fleet (Lotus stuff, since he ok'd me touching it up), and... well. It wrecks a lot of things. You can just pump out so many missiles with it so quickly that its a threat to even capital ships. Its sort of the reason why I pulled missile reloader off everything in Lotus - they have lots of missile slots and its honestly unfair.

I'll probably go to the Heavy capital ships and swap its missile slots to something else as well. Its... got a bit too many.

Brainbread fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DatonKallandor posted:

Cause they've got no reload times they get to reach those numbers (with very few exceptions).

But hey if you like how the no-reload missiles work I don't think we could ever agree on missile design.

I think there's a role for both, but it would probably require maybe a different kind of hardpoint or at least a different pricing scheme.

Having a one shot, high effectiveness, but highly situational weapon is very good for a player, or a sufficiently intelligent AI ship designed to take advantage of it. It makes for a distinctive and different challenge in opposition and a distinctive and interesting option on your side.

Building an entire ship around of course is something of a gamble, which makes many current missiles not very useful as you don't generally want to waste ships on the premise that it might possibly be useful one day.

If low ammo missiles were much cheaper I think they would be a better option, being able to just fire off a couple of missiles at the decisive moment would add a lot of flexibility to a well designed ship as well as a really nice extra boost to a player ship, but you would need a regular complement of weapons to make that viable, and you can't really have that with the current one shot price points.

A missile system with lots of ammo and a long reload time should be classed like a regular weapon, because it gives you sustained firepower like one, it could probably benefit from its own kind of hardpoint, or at least more small ships could do with light hardpoints explicitly for one shot missiles without turning them into missile boats.

Maybe you could get away with just switching the categories around, small missiles would be exclusively one shots and widely available on most hulls, medium missiles could be a bit of both, light missile batteries and heavy one shots, heavy missiles would be what the pilum is now, a solid weapon with a lot of ammo, and maybe the occasional doomsday device like the AM torpedo or something. Rebalance hardpoint availability accordingly.

I'm thinking basically the difference between an F15 and a naval destroyer, both have missiles but one has a lot more ammo for them, and probably a cruise missile launcher too.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 1, 2014