Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

CzarChasm posted:

I'm sure it's just perspective, but Peter's lookin really naked there.

Nope, not perspective! That was the Joss Whedon Astonishing X-Men run (I think #6?), and Colossus has just returned from the dead due to alien experimentation. Minus pants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

First Bass posted:

Reposted from having accidentally posted in the Avengers thread:

OK, two things, with the understanding that this is a magical hammer and everything.

1) Was it always written in English on the hammer? And by that I mean not even in pseudo runes or fake Norse or anything.

2) Isn't it upside down? Doesn't the writing only appear correct if you are holding the business end up?

Pieces of Peace posted:

Nope, not perspective! That was the Joss Whedon Astonishing X-Men run (I think #6?), and Colossus has just returned from the dead due to alien experimentation. Minus pants.

Huh. How about that?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

CzarChasm posted:

2) Isn't it upside down? Doesn't the writing only appear correct if you are holding the business end up?

If the writing is meant for people who discover the hammer, it's almost always going to be head down like that. There's not much of a reason for the words to be there when someone is holding it.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
The inscription hammer has also said "Whosoever holds this hammer, if they be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor." for a few years, not that anybody remembers or that the gendered pronoun matters considering Jane Foster/Thordis predates a big old chunk of stuff.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

SirDan3k posted:

The inscription hammer has also said "Whosoever holds this hammer, if they be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor." for a few years, not that anybody remembers or that the gendered pronoun matters considering Jane Foster/Thordis predates a big old chunk of stuff.

Yes, but that get any press back in the day?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I hope the first couple of issues of the new run really sells this person as being worthy. It'd be nice to have an issue like the one between the Godbomb and Malekith arcs where Thor just does a bunch of altruistic stuff, but spread out over the entire series.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Madkal posted:

Yes, but that get any press back in the day?

It was back in the day when comics didn't make press unless it was about how they led boys to sexual deviancy and communism.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Are you guys really having a discussion about the writing on a fictional hammer and its inconsistency over the years?

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
Mjolnir's display has auto-rotate!

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trast posted:

Are you guys really having a discussion about the writing on a fictional hammer and its inconsistency over the years?

Hi, I'd like to welcome you to comic book fandom, please pick up you complementary wolf shirt and autism causing vaccine at the front desk.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Trast posted:

Fandom posted:

Hi. A question for Miss Bellamy. In episode 2F09 when Itchy plays Scratchy's skeleton like a xylophone, he strikes the same rib twice in succession, yet he produces two clearly different tones. I mean, what are we to believe, that this is some sort of a magic xylophone or something? Boy, I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

zoux posted:

PYF Fastball Special:

Previous page for context.

That air swirl...

If life gives you russkies, make FASTBALL SPECIALS!

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic
Ok, right. Rat Queens could be posted as it is. But the last issue took the biscuit. I'm not even posting the pictures here (go buy it you fools!), just this bit:

"Got seven more?"

"I'm starting to wish I did."

ubergnu fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 9, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

If life gives you russkies, make FASTBALL SPECIALS!

Was it Rockslide that did that one hilarious impromptu fastball?

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

CzarChasm posted:

OK, two things, with the understanding that this is a magical hammer and everything.

1) Was it always written in English on the hammer? And by that I mean not even in pseudo runes or fake Norse or anything.

It could be in runes or whatever but in the way that comics translate stuff it was an artistic decision not to have it read <Whosoever holds this hammer, if she be worthy, shall possess the power of ...THOR>

I imagine an in-universe explanation would be that it's written in the All-Tongue, and so it appears as legible for whoever reads it, in this case English.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'm mostly just wondering how a lady got to the moon to pock the damned thing up.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'm mostly just wondering how a lady got to the moon to pock the damned thing up.

Proving yourself worthy has really gotten out of hand.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

It's Marvel, little old ladies probably go up to the moon for tea and cakes with the Watcher or Black Bolt first Sunday of the month.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Where can I read up on Black Bolt and the Inhumans? They seem really cool.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

VanSandman posted:

The Jenkins/Lee book is one of my favourites and gives you a good summary of what the Inhumans and their society is all about, though in general their modern depictions are nowhere near as dark (the fact that they had an entire subservient slave race working for them is never brought up again).

Other good books where they play a prominent role, but aren't the sole focus are Earth X and Hickman's Fantastic Four.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Sep 9, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

VanSandman posted:

They don't really have as much as a comics presence as it seems from the outside. They mostly show up in other people's books. I think there are three minis (of which I liked the first and third) and the Son of M mini. I don't think they've ever had an ongoing.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

The Jenkins/Lee book is one of my favourites and gives you a good summary of what the Inhumans and their society is all about, though in general their modern depictions are nowhere near as dark (the fact that they had an entire subservient slave race working for them is never brought up again).

Seconding this recommendation. I thought it was really well written.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Hakkesshu posted:

As I recall, Black Bolt tried to emancipate the Alpha Primitives, but then it turned out that they'd been genetically engineered so as to require enslavement... or something.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

SirDan3k posted:

Indeed

She looks rather :smug:

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Pimpmust posted:

You would too if you were a God I'm sure.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Pimpmust posted:

She knows she's got Halloween locked up, man.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

VanSandman posted:

Silent War

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silent-War-David-Hine/dp/078512425X

I love love love Irving's art

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

What? Inhumans can't breath regular Earth air? Do most writers just ignore this or was it retconned?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

First Bass posted:

What? Inhumans can't breath regular Earth air? Do most writers just ignore this or was it retconned?

You speak like there's a practical difference between those two things, and like the comic industry editors give a poo poo about stuff like that.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

First Bass posted:

This limitation makes it sound like they were that Ultraman series from the 90s.

"Because of Earth's polluted atmosphere, Blackagar can only retain his inhuman form for three minutes. Time is running out!"

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I know these were posted when the book came out but who cares.
From Infinity #6

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Don't mess with Ultimate JJJ
Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Has there ever been a time that JJJ hasn't been a complete badass and the #1 best thing about Spider Man?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Tracula posted:

Has there ever been a time that JJJ hasn't been a complete badass and the #1 best thing about Spider Man?

There was this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsDwonEXKDs

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Is that Osborn? Because if it is I don't think shooting him in the head's going to do any good

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Opopanax posted:

Is that Osborn? Because if it is I don't think shooting him in the head's going to do any good

Yeah he was shot in the face with a rifle the second to last time he died, so good luck with that JJJ.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Gotta remember, for Ultimate JJJ, it's not about the actual difference he makes, it's about doing the right thing so he can get to sleep at night.

Whether or not a bullet can kill Osborne, at that moment he deserves one and so Jonah will deliver. :v:

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
God, is JJJ going to become Ultimate Punisher?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

JediTalentAgent posted:

God, is JJJ going to become Ultimate Punisher?

I am fine with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Captain Bravo posted:

Whether or not a bullet can kill Osborne, at that moment he deserves one and so Jonah will deliver. :v:

J. Jonah Jameson: Delivering the news 158 grains at a time.