Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

hito posted:

Magical Law really owns the boss. Actually Magical Law in general is just full of bonkers-good spells, but among the many things it does well is let you trivialize the boss. With Writ of Counterspelling and a Mirror Shield you reflect almost all attack spells (all spells if you have any more reflect like Ancestral Body Paint). Then with Rune of Objection, you throw the acid debuff or vortex debuff back at him. If memory serves the only spell he actually has that can hit you through this is the voltaic one, so just pack a ton of that resist and engage him with water or some open-air obstacle between him and you.
...or you can just Gag Order him. Seriously, I spent that entire paragraph expecting you to say that! It's either the only silence effect or one of two that he doesn't resist. So you can just silence him repeatedly and whack him with literally whatever until he dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
The greatest roguelike of all time is Toejam and Earl and anyone who disagrees is a weiner.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
The little engine for a CoQ sequel/fantasy roguelike I've been toying with uses a Dreadmore-inspired skill system, since I really like the fundamental combinatorial idea. It sort of takes the lots-of-small-mutations-in-various-combinations style of Qud to the next level. I expect early beta in about 2350 AD.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Unormal posted:

The little engine for a CoQ sequel/fantasy roguelike I've been toying with uses a Dreadmore-inspired skill system, since I really like the fundamental combinatorial idea. It sort of takes the lots-of-small-mutations-in-various-combinations style of Qud to the next level. I expect early beta in about 2350 AD.

YES/NOOOOOOO why fantasy?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

omeg posted:

YES/NOOOOOOO why fantasy?

Playing fantasy roguelikes always makes me really angry about how lame their world design is.

e: I also started toying around with a little rogulike set in an "eclipse phase" style trans-humanism setting. Then I started literally laughing out loud at how ridiculous my conceptual scope was for it and set it aside for the time being.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Well, if the setting is as interesting as Qud, go on ahead. :v:

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Here's a free copy of Dungeons of Dredmor Complete from the latest Humble Bundle.

Figure there's less chance it'll get lurked in this thread than in the main Steam thread.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

If I could get a refinement on Dredmor's skill system in a game that isn't otherwise all style and no substance I'd probably play the poo poo out of it for a while.

Ditto. So far the closest I've seen to that is ToME's Adventurer mode, but it's not quite the same thing and also completely destroys the game balance (being an unlockable post-game option).

Unormal posted:

Wait, does this mean that Qud is done, or do you just have more ideas than there are hours in the day to implement them?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

ToxicFrog posted:

Ditto. So far the closest I've seen to that is ToME's Adventurer mode, but it's not quite the same thing and also completely destroys the game balance (being an unlockable post-game option).

Wait, does this mean that Qud is done, or do you just have more ideas than there are hours in the day to implement them?

So, so, so many more. Full time job + 3 kids makes the denominator of that function small.

Hungry_Need_Brain
Aug 13, 2004

Crip Walker, Texas Ranger

moot the hopple posted:

Here's a free copy of Dungeons of Dredmor Complete from the latest Humble Bundle.

Figure there's less chance it'll get lurked in this thread than in the main Steam thread.

:woop: Been looking to try this game forever! Thanks a ton!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I posted this in the Kickstarter thread a few days ago but I figured it deserves to go here too. Darkest Dungeon released a PAX gameplay video on YouTube which shows off about 20 minutes worth of play going on a quest to kill a necromancer. It's pretty cool.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Demiurge4 posted:

I posted this in the Kickstarter thread a few days ago but I figured it deserves to go here too. Darkest Dungeon released a PAX gameplay video on YouTube which shows off about 20 minutes worth of play going on a quest to kill a necromancer. It's pretty cool.

This is cool as poo poo

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

I love the art and animations, it looks amazing.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I just want to see more games where combat is slow and deliberate and constantly leaves you on the razor's edge of defeat.

One who is Rad
Mar 30, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

This narrator will never have enough quotes. Chilling.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Demiurge4 posted:

This game looks amazing and I wish I could've gotten in the kickstarter. I see you can buy it now but it looks like the only versions have the artbook & soundtrack stuff which I'm not sure I'm that interested in.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Is Darkest Dungeon going to be on Steam?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

packetmantis posted:

Is Darkest Dungeon going to be on Steam?

Yeah, I read on their Facebook page that they're not going with anything more specific than "soon", but it'll be up for early access before the year is out. I'm going to guess for late October.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
So Ive been away from my computer lately which means Ive been trying mobile roguelikes. Is Hoplite made by the same group of people who did Brogue? Lots of similarities between the two (in a good way) but much more distilled down into a few base concepts. I 'beat' it after a few mishappen trial runs when figuring out an upgrade path I liked. I havent tried descending past floor 16, but overall its a good way to waste a few minutes to blitz through some neat tactical combat.

Im feeling a little more frustrated with Pixel Dungeons. I might just be playing it poorly, but the food timer seems very short. I know theres a ration on every floor, but a ration doesnt seem like enough to fully explore a floor. That combined with combat feeling very dangerous if you dive quickly leaves me feeling kind of frustrated. I might just be missing something - I only just started playing it and didn't read any spoilers. Anyone have any advice or want to tell me why Im dumb and bad?

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Demiurge4 posted:

The way they present attacks is brilliant!

Beeme
Oct 7, 2013

madjackmcmad posted:

It feels slightly disorienting to me. I really hope I don't get motion sickness from it because otherwise it looks great. I think it wouldn't affect me if it were just the zoom, without the screen tilting, but I guess that wouldn't be as cool.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

madjackmcmad posted:

Yeah, I am really digging this style and look. It feels like proper hellish dark fantasy, and the weird janky movements and still-cuts during attacks actually makes it all... I dunno, appealingly awkward? Like a dirty comic book.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
I love well-done attack animations and those look pretty drat neat. I do wish there was an option to disable them after the first few encounters, though, or a setting that'll show them at random when attacking.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
That looks slow and tedious and much more limited than the range of tactics you'd have on a grid. :shobon:

I guess the sequencing aspect of how moves reposition each character's place in line might have interesting repercussions.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

That looks slow and tedious and much more limited than the range of tactics you'd have on a grid. :shobon:

I guess the sequencing aspect of how moves reposition each character's place in line might have interesting repercussions.

Yeah it seems like something that works really well in a 20 minute trailer and then is mind numbing after ~90 minutes.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think I saw a lot of mouse clicking going on in the trailer, hopefully there will be a possibility to have it keyboard-driven. It reminded me of old Final Fantasy menu battlers, relying a lot on repetitive special effects. Or maybe it's more like Decker, where there's a node-based map, and each node has a group of baddies to fight against, and something unique about the node. Looks nice, but not my kind of thing.

I was a fan of Decker for a bit, though. Each node had a purpose in your overall mission, a reason to visit/not visit it. Like, you'd go to one node to learn a backdoor password, so you could revisit in enough time to disable the security system, and complete your mission, which might be to disable an alarm system. Then, you'd just steal a bunch of valuable files to sell on the black market, and just trash the entire system on your way out for the hell of it (maybe you'd get street cred for that or something).

I could see something like that being kind of interesting to shoehorn into a Lovecraftian horror/crypt diving type of deal, and maybe giving the menu battles something more meaningful.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

You can see numbers indicating hot keys under all the attacks. Keyboard shortcuts don't show very well in a video demonstration.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Demiurge4 posted:

Oh man, the resting mechanics are real neat.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
This went both very wrong and so, so right.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I started getting back into ToME on Steam; are there any must-have or recommended mods?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I started getting back into ToME on Steam; are there any must-have or recommended mods?

Marson's Auto-Explore / Rest Tweaks.

Other than that I don't play with any. Lots of people like the goon-made necromancer overhaul, the name of which I forget.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Unormal posted:

This went both very wrong and so, so right.

Oh my! Also that a recent update made the wizard not crash the game finally was nice to have, even if the staffs keep showing up for the knight.

Also are you considering game controller usage yet? I got an older dual shock type usb controller i'd love to use with the game, seems like it could handle the movement just fine, as well as acitvating the powers and items.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nintendo Kid posted:

Also are you considering game controller usage yet? I got an older dual shock type usb controller i'd love to use with the game, seems like it could handle the movement just fine, as well as acitvating the powers and items.

Yeah, I really want native controller support, since steamboxing is increasingly a thing. I have some ideas about making it happen, but it's just about scope. I'll make it happen eventually, I dunno how clean it'll be on release day. Just depends on how quickly and cleanly everything else comes together. Controller support is great, but doesn't help if the underlying game isn't finished or is too buggy. Wish I had a million hours a day :(

e: Almost everything has keyboard mapping though, so you could make it happen with some basic controller key mapping. I'd probably map directional to WADS, and face buttons to 2345 (ability shortcuts), ltrigger to 1 (default melee) and you've got 95% of the adventure play. (Doh, I don't have a keybind for use item yet.)

Unormal fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 9, 2014

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.
Claustrophobia is all the way live and up ons Steam Early Access today-- 5 bucks from the dude's site.

http://claustrophobia-game.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r6ctrrpWyI

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Awesome I'm a big fan of the first version so I can't wait to get off work and see what's new. $5 is a steal!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what's the current consensus on dungeon of the endless?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

madjackmcmad posted:

Claustrophobia is all the way live and up ons Steam Early Access today-- 5 bucks from the dude's site.
Not to be a busta, but several things about this game remind me of Dreadmor.

I still grabbed it though, cause it's only four bucks on Steam because Euro power I guess?

E: I played a quick game, and while it indeed has several obvious similarities to Dredmor, it's a lot faster and more fun. It's also hard and I got owned on the second floor :v:

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 9, 2014

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
The new versions of adom still don't have a guaranteed way to get an amulet of life saving do they?

It is the worst bottleneck when you're going for an ultra ending. I now get to make zero progress as I pick pocket gremlins or scum the infinite dungeon. Or risk robbing Blup's mom...

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Even worse than that you can no longer stair hop in the ID. You have to actually explore levels. Honestly, there are a lot of changes in the revamp that I think have significantly decreased the quality of life in that game. They've forcefully removed some of the scummy techniques you could use and replaced them with... bug fixes that mean the game is much harder than it used to be. And a UI that looks pretty but is less functional. I think the worst aspect of all this is that he gave the players exactly what they asked for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brother-joseph
Jan 1, 2009

:lol:MARINES:lol:

Tollymain posted:

what's the current consensus on dungeon of the endless?

In my opinion, it SEEMS really great at first. The problem the game has is that it very quickly ends up having a lot going on at once all the time, so you find yourself constantly pausing and micromanaging fifteen different things at once. Because of this, you end up covering small amounts of ground fairly slowly which makes the game drag a lot and seem way too long.

If there were less going on and less rooms/characters to manage, it could be a ton of fun.