Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Chill la Chill posted:

Box looks like the size of galaxy trucker anniversary edition and retails for $125. Or twilight imperium with expansions around the same price. The difference is that those are good games. Even if trucker is the most ameritrash game ever.
Not even close. Android is the most ameritrashy games by far, it defies comparisons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

NTRabbit posted:

Here's a good question though, is it actually going to be possible to get it anywhere but direct?

I answered that question in my post :v: But almost certainly not, no, because they are well established idiots.

I'm trying to remember what the price was when they released the box in 2009 though. Wasn't it just $100? A few new pieces of cardboard and scenarios is certainly not worth whatever price increase there has been.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Wait Chill la Chill did you mean that TI was the ameritrashiest game ever. Because then I wholeheartedly agree.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I'm not sure how to react to someone calling Galaxy Trucker an Ameritrash game.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Is everything in that picture what you get for $125? Because 13 Terminators of the Space Hulk level of quality/detail are probably already close to "worth" $125 by some GW standards, and then you have the genestealers and game on top of it. If GW hadn't already poisoned me against them I probably wouldn't bat an eye at picking it up.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Yeah, you get 12 terminators, a dead guy on a throne, the little robot dude, a Broodlord and like 20 something genestealers. That alone is worth more than 125$, even discounted.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!
I would get Space Hulk but I'm waiting on the Dungeon Saga survey to arrive.

And then I want to get that Operation: Icestorm set for Infinity.

And then I also want to start playing Saga (not DS, but the medieval skirmish game).

And then I...(etc.) :v:

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Not being a wargamer makes those photos really offensive, because that's not at all what you get in the box.

Even if we were to add assembly to the mix, which is a big if, the material cost of paints and brushes (at GW prices) will add easily another 50 bucks to the game.

It's some of the worst false advertising in modern society.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I can't see myself buying this again just for four missions. It's a good thing the rulebook is probably the least desirable thing that will end up on ebay...

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

S.J. posted:

Yeah, you get 12 terminators, a dead guy on a throne, the little robot dude, a Broodlord and like 20 something genestealers. That alone is worth more than 125$, even discounted.

Honestly, they're loving up, because if you break 13 terminators into single blisters, cast them in fine, and give them names, they're characters, and there's no loving *way* they're worth less than $180 before tax.

Then the stealers are 30 bux. The dead guy is only available by special order from forgeworld and costs $25. It's the corpse of Robot Guilliam. The guy who did the foot squish animation for Monty Python's Angels of Something Completely Different. As detailed in the upcoming WH40k 8th edition box set;

"Dinsdale"

Queue 'teaser video' where generic drums of war play while a slow pan over a glossy photo printed in White Dwarf fades in and out several times.

/loses his poo poo with excitement

Broken Loose posted:

It's some of the worst false advertising in modern society.

You are my favorite person on these forums. :glomp:

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Tekopo posted:

Not even close. Android is the most ameritrashy games by far, it defies comparisons.

Crossbows and Catapults and Battle Masters want to have a word with you.
(would also make a case for Vampire Hunter, Buffy and any game by Michael Gray)

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Sep 10, 2014

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Crossbows and Catapults and Battle Masters want to have a word with you.
(would also make a case for Vampire Hunter, Buffy and any game by Michael Gray)
Children's classics don't count :v:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Crossbows and Catapults

OH poo poo I had totally forgotten about that game. Wish I had a copy of it :sigh:

Tekopo posted:

Wait Chill la Chill did you mean that TI was the ameritrashiest game ever. Because then I wholeheartedly agree.

TI is a glorious shitstorm and I love it more than anything.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Apollodorus posted:

OH poo poo I had totally forgotten about that game. Wish I had a copy of it :sigh:

It got a reprint that sold extremely poorly, it's pretty cheap to get now.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
To this day I am impressed me and my cousin were accidentally playing that game correctly.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I just tried to order the rest of my Wamaster Dark Elves army.

This loving company isn't dying fast enough.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

CEO Vacancy, let's do this. http://careers.games-workshop.com/2014/09/18/chief-executive-games-workshop-group-plc-nottingham-uk/

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I love the phrase "sustainable increase in return on capital" as it's used in that document.

Because as we all know, the amount of return on capital only goes up uP UP, so if it ever levels off or a bubble collapses, it means you are a failure as a director even if the company is still perfectly solid.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

JerryLee posted:

I love the phrase "sustainable increase in return on capital" as it's used in that document.

Because as we all know, the amount of return on capital only goes up uP UP, so if it ever levels off or a bubble collapses, it means you are a failure as a director even if the company is still perfectly solid.

Eh, this is actually a thing. If your profits aren't increasing at a rate greater than or equal to inflation, your real profits are actually decreasing.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
"We believe that how you behave does matter, therefore, we believe that attitudes – such as honesty and integrity – are even more important than skills.... However, it is only fair to say that people who don’t fit with our culture, or who play at fitting, will be unhappy and consequently unsuccessful." :commissar:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

fool_of_sound posted:

Eh, this is actually a thing. If your profits aren't increasing at a rate greater than or equal to inflation, your real profits are actually decreasing.

Maybe I just don't understand how exactly the corporate world used the term but it made it sound like they expected the relative amount of their return on capital to continually increase, full stop.

It's not like GW restricts itself to pegging their price hikes to inflation, so while it's factually correct that they couldn't literally keep their prices the exact same in perpetuity and remain profitable indefinitely, that's a little bit of a strawman when it comes to GW profit expectations.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

JerryLee posted:

Maybe I just don't understand how exactly the corporate world used the term but it made it sound like they expected the relative amount of their return on capital to continually increase, full stop.

It's not like GW restricts itself to pegging their price hikes to inflation, so while it's factually correct that they couldn't literally keep their prices the exact same in perpetuity and remain profitable indefinitely, that's a little bit of a strawman when it comes to GW profit expectations.

I'm not certain how thy mean it either, but sustainable growth is a cornerstone of economics, and any company/economy that has ceased to expand is in fact beginning a decline.

That said, shareholders tend to quickly fire any CEO who doesn't make them as much money as possible per quarter, so who knows what they mean.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

fool_of_sound posted:

That said, shareholders tend to quickly fire any CEO who doesn't make them as much money as possible per quarter, so who knows what they mean.

Yeah, my sarcasm was based on the assumption that this was the spirit of what they meant, as opposed to 'a reasonable level of growth that is underpinned by non-insane business practices.'

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
My take on what they mean by sustainable growth is 'Don't do something that will give us bucketful of cash now that we cant continue.' Ie Dont do a buy 1 get 1 free sale for a year.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

serious gaylord posted:

My take on what they mean by sustainable growth is 'Don't do something that will give us bucketful of cash now that we cant continue.' Ie Dont do a buy 1 get 1 free sale for a year.

So, no more new editions every 2 years, then. :v:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

JerryLee posted:

So, no more new editions every 2 years, then. :v:

I said something that gives them bucketfuls of cash!!!

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Their 4 million GBP website refuses to send me a new password so I can buy their product. I guess I'll buy it from ebay instead! :gw:

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
You have to pay for passwords, duh.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Not a viking posted:

4 million GBP website

If you say this into a mirror 3 times with the lights off, Serious Gaylord will appear and correct you.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Not a viking posted:

Their 4 million GBP website refuses to send me a new password so I can buy their product. I guess I'll buy it from ebay instead! :gw:

Ahem.

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

If you say this into a mirror 3 times with the lights off, Serious Gaylord will appear and correct you.

:negative:

E-mail their customer support, they'll sort it quick since they're the only good bit about GW's business.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Not a viking posted:

Why would you buy from GW if you can get it for way less on ebay?

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

BULBASAUR posted:

Why would you buy from GW?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Does theWarstore still offer 10% off the retail price or have they stopped selling to him yet?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
guys dont ever buy anything from GW

cheers

Germ
May 7, 2013

Radish posted:

Does theWarstore still offer 10% off the retail price or have they stopped selling to him yet?

The Warstore is 20% off, though you have to submit the order via phone or email. They aren't allowed to use an online shopping cart for GW products.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

BULBASAUR posted:

Why would you buy from GW if you can get it for way less on ebay?

Because I can't find it other than over priced PROPAINTED models. Was told by GW to make a new account. But they wanted £10 shipping for a £12 model so gently caress that.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yeah thats a fair point. Its hard sometimes to get obscure models unless you know where to look for them. I want to grab the codex legion books, but the only place to buy them is forgeworld :(

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
What model is it?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Germ posted:

The Warstore is 20% off, though you have to submit the order via phone or email. They aren't allowed to use an online shopping cart for GW products.

That is hilariously stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

That is hilariously stupid.

It's GW's business practice for any online webstore in the USA (and probably elsewhere), as I recall. I think it has to be a webstore that has a brick-and-mortar presence, too? I forget but I remember when it came out back in 2002 or 2003 or whatever, that GW practically killed a bunch of online-only stores that sold GW products overnight with that announcement.

• Locked thread