Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Literally The Worst posted:

Also my fingers are really goddamn sore from pushing robots together and I just got the slip saying my HGUC Zaku and Z'gok are at the main office waiting for me and I'm trying really hard not to order the Unicorn Full Armor MG right now.

Kill me.

Oh you haven't hit the low point yet. See, what happens is you think you've got all the kits you want. And then at some point between the next few days and a few weeks you'll see something. In a local hobby shop, or on a site like HLJ that catches your eye for some reason or other. And you'll pull the trigger because one more kit won't hurt.

The cycle begins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh you haven't hit the low point yet. See, what happens is you think you've got all the kits you want. And then at some point between the next few days and a few weeks you'll see something. In a local hobby shop, or on a site like HLJ that catches your eye for some reason or other. And you'll pull the trigger because one more kit won't hurt.

The cycle begins.

There's no local shops, really, so I've got that going for me, at least. It's probably a good thing MG is so expensive. Stops me from binging right fuckin' now.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I really think you need the Mg Universe Booster to supplement the Build Strike btw.
(I'm only half in jest)

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Zedd posted:

I really think you need the Mg Universe Booster to supplement the Build Strike btw.
(I'm only half in jest)

please don't bring this up because I really want to build a mg star build strike but I already have a backlog of 7 kits.

Also holy gently caress the mg nu ver ka has a ton of parts and painting this thing is taking a while. I guess I got used to the simpler wing kits.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Zedd posted:

(I'm only half in jest)

See if I hadn't gotten the Build Strike FP I'd do it but he's already got a sweet backpack with lasers.

Our own MechaGojira just showed me the Neo Zeong and I'm tryin reallllll hard to resist the temptation.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

I opened up my first MG a little bit ago.

What have I gotten myself into please send help

Lol at you scoffing at the idea of buying a MG literally two weeks ago, Dickeye. You're doomed. The trick is to be like me and hate 95% of mobile suit designs.

Edit: Dickeye you can't be having all these MG kits without a hanger to put them in

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The cycle begins.

This isn't even the worst part of the hobby. Imagine only being able to afford kits occasionally. So you see great new kits every couple of months but you never actually manage to get all the kits you want, because the list always keeps growing.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I'd say my main defense against gunpla addiction is being a lazy slug that still has kits I bought three years ago that I haven't put together, but then I remembered I just blew like $170 on kits when I was at otakon a few weeks back, so

Anonymous Robot posted:

Lol at you scoffing at the idea of buying a MG literally two weeks ago, Dickeye. You're doomed. The trick is to be like me and hate 95% of mobile suit designs.

Edit: Dickeye you can't be having all these MG kits without a hanger to put them in

This would go stupid good with my thunderbolt GM.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Regarding gunpla clubs, a few friends and I get together every monday to build gundam models and watch giant robert anime. We call it Moe Monday and it's fun as gently caress.

Thread I need your help. I just started building a Gundam Seven Sword, and he's cool as hell, but I was stupid, and put the stickers that go on underneath his clear bits on, even though I was planning on fully painting him from the beginning.

What are my options here? Do I mask the transparent plastic bits with masking tape? Or poster putty? Do I take the plastic bits off and mask the stickers? Or do I take the plastic bits off, and try to peel the stickers off in one piece, and glue them back on when the painting is done?

Please help.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Liquid mask would be my suggestion. Trying to pry the jewels off will more than likely damage them, and those stickers won't be coming off intact anyway.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
So if you're into D-Style, the Ingram has a pretty crazy discount. You have to pay for shipping but it's still 50% off.

And while not as huge a deal, Amazon has a sale going for all RGs. Discounts range from $2 to $15 off.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

BlitzBlast posted:

And while not as huge a deal, Amazon has a sale going for all RGs. Discounts range from $2 to $15 off.

That's amazing, it's just a shame it's not the HGs. I kinda want a Danazine but I really don't want to spend more than $20 for anything from Gundam AGE.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Thanks for the updates, Blitz, they're a good reason for me to experiment outside of my usual circles of interests!

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's amazing, it's just a shame it's not the HGs. I kinda want a Danazine but I really don't want to spend more than $20 for anything from Gundam AGE.

I have the Danazine on my wishlist, I'll let you know when it drops, I'm picking one up for a custom paint job.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

PoptartsNinja posted:

I really don't want to spend more than $20 for anything from Gundam AGE.

Those poor models did nothing to you. (I skipped AGE entirely, but just ordered an Adele for a kit-bashing experiment.)

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The general opinion is that the Vegan HGs kind of sucked compared to the Federation stuff and the Gundams. It doesn't help that by design, most of their weaponry is internal; you're not getting many effect parts or accessories.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Is there some easy way to check for discount Gunpla on Amazon without paging through all the listings? Cuz gently caress that noise.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

BlitzBlast posted:

The general opinion is that the Vegan HGs kind of sucked compared to the Federation stuff and the Gundams. It doesn't help that by design, most of their weaponry is internal; you're not getting many effect parts or accessories.

The Danazine is still a robot dragon. :shrug:

Fake Edit: With a dong laser.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Danazine is still a robot dragon. :shrug:

Fake Edit: With a dong laser.

Please tell me there's a kit of this.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Please tell me there's a kit of this.

:dong: Yup

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Bimmi posted:

Is there some easy way to check for discount Gunpla on Amazon without paging through all the listings? Cuz gently caress that noise.

Normally I just search "*Insert* Grade Bandai", sort by price, then select "Bandai Hobby" as the brand to further narrow things down. Taking a look at High Grade, I can see there's a sale on some AGE HGs going on (with free shipping!).

Meanwhile in Master Grade... holy poo poo $70 off of MG G-Armor.

EDIT: Man, Amazon is just blowing through their inventory. ~$40 off of MG Unicorn vOVA, ~$30 off MG Delta Plus, Deathscythe Hell, ReZEL Commander, V-Dash, Sinanju vOVA, and a bunch of other stuff.

Just flip through this yourself, crazy deals. All of the latest big vKa releases (FA Unicorn, Nu, Sazabi, Hi-Nu) for under $100!

Incidentally, this is how I got such a large backlog.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Sep 10, 2014

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Cheap high grades for the practiceplastic god.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

That Amazon UK doesn't stock gunpla is the only reason my backlog isn't larger than it is.

Okay, that my apartment is a loving shoebox without the space to store a backlog is that reason, but having to eBay or direct-order poo poo certainly helps.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
I admit, I spent too much money on plastic robots because the engineering on them can be so awesome, but one thing really helps - I hate the goddamn animu designs (personal preference) and I'm longing for the day when something like new battletech gets a similar treatment. Ma.K. is interesting though, I'll probably get a few of those kits.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Half price MG Unicorn? Don't mind if I do. drat it, and my backlog was already getting big and I've already spent too much this month.

Well, I guess I finally get to join the Unicorn club.

EDIT: And I ordered a Nu Gundam ver. Ka. Oh, boy. I would get a Sazabi if I had the money, because drat.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Sep 10, 2014

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Ledenko posted:

I admit, I spent too much money on plastic robots because the engineering on them can be so awesome, but one thing really helps - I hate the goddamn animu designs (personal preference) and I'm longing for the day when something like new battletech gets a similar treatment. Ma.K. is interesting though, I'll probably get a few of those kits.

Check out Kotobukiya's Frame Arms series if you haven't already. Less cartoony than Bandai stuff, at any rate.

I dont know what current Ma.K. kits are like but back in the day they were very detailed but otherwise pretty standard kits that required lots of glue and paint and cleanup. Still cool, but not much like Gunpla in any way at all.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

Bimmi posted:

Check out Kotobukiya's Frame Arms series if you haven't already. Less cartoony than Bandai stuff, at any rate.

I dont know what current Ma.K. kits are like but back in the day they were very detailed but otherwise pretty standard kits that required lots of glue and paint and cleanup. Still cool, but not much like Gunpla in any way at all.

Yeah, but they still look like anime robot guys. I like scifi kits and Ma.K. fit that pretty well, I'm waiting for a resin 1/16 scale walking egg or whatever it is so I know there won't be any engineering to it, but I look forward to putting it together and painting it.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Few bucks off gundam x MG, im sticking to my rule of not buying any more until my backlog is down to 3 though, which isn't that far off. I got through 20 steps on Zaku Amazing HG last night without noticing, got a gp base all ready.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I got the Zaku and the Z'gok at 10 this morning. Now I just have the Z'gok to assemble. Also, I've figured out how much over time I need to work to swing the Neo Zeong plus the Unicorn kits I want to go with it.

My life is a sham.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I got the Zaku and the Z'gok at 10 this morning. Now I just have the Z'gok to assemble. Also, I've figured out how much over time I need to work to swing the Neo Zeong plus the Unicorn kits I want to go with it.

My life is a sham.

drat man you're hitting the plastic crack pipe pretty hard. I approve.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

My life is a sham.

The cycle has begun. :unsmigghh:

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Hey, whoever suggested the Gundam Exia Auditore, I think I'm going to make this. Maybe starting with an Exia Repair to get the cloak...

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

You will never get laid again.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Monaghan posted:

drat man you're hitting the plastic crack pipe pretty hard. I approve.

You know what? I take it back. Just the part about having the Z'gok to assemble, though.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The cycle has begun. :unsmigghh:

I'm thinking I want to get an HG Unciorn FA and a Banshee and then the Zeong and then do a little thing like they're just getting fuckin' owned by it because hell yes and then I'm gonna just cut my nuts off because I'll never need them again. Also, a Zee Zulu. He has flippers. That rules.

When I get home tonight I'm going to put the ones I have up on my bookshelf so they're off the kitchen table and I'll take a picture to commemorate the moment I consented to never having sex again.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The Muffinlord posted:

Hey, whoever suggested the Gundam Exia Auditore, I think I'm going to make this. Maybe starting with an Exia Repair to get the cloak...
Ezio had both of his arms though. :v: In my "concept" (loose usage of the word here) it had a cape like the sandrock or maybe a crossbone full cloth thing.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

so your going to take a picture of the neo zeong reciept?

also please tell me thats the hg non unicorn z'gok you are going to build. The difference between that's complexity and the neo zeong should be funny.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

madpanda posted:

so your going to take a picture of the neo zeong reciept?

also please tell me thats the hg non unicorn z'gok you are going to build. The difference between that's complexity and the neo zeong should be funny.

Most of what I've done is HGUC stuff including the Z'gok. I really just love that design and wanted it on my shelf next to my karate bugmen and my lumberjack robot fighter. My first kit was the RG RX-78-2 though and I did that in a day.

I plan on documenting the Neo Zeong from start to finish, starting with the receipt and ending with my ritualized suicide.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
What if I just make it assassin colors and rig something up over one arm?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

The Muffinlord posted:

What if I just make it assassin colors and rig something up over one arm?

Are you trying to make this out of a MG? If not, why not just use Wing Fenice? He even comes with a beam mantle that mimics Ezio's, and the claws on the arms can be used as hidden blades.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Because I really want an Exia? I keep seeing the ignition mode MG on Amazon and it's starting to call my name again...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

The Muffinlord posted:

Because I really want an Exia? I keep seeing the ignition mode MG on Amazon and it's starting to call my name again...

Fair enough - I was giving you an easier alternative than trying to modify the repair's half-cape onto Exia's left arm.

• Locked thread