Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

I Am Just a Box posted:

Do you like repetitive grinding and incremental advances in grind efficiency and mobility through the game world, in the classic formula designed to create an illusory sense of achievement and change?

I do, so I like it well enough. Kind of glad I didn't spend more than a buck on it, though.

Yeah, it's basically a really well made Skinner Box. I'm enjoying it, but it's very repetitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Drifter posted:

I'm not racist, but what the gently caress is wrong with you?

Be a little more discriminating, sir. Play the race segments of Sleepy Dogs, play Burnout Paradise, play Sega/Sonic All-Star Racing, play Next Car Game, play Trackmania. Those are all great. :glomp:

Sleeping Dogs racing was loving awful, I don't know what you're on.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

PostNouveau posted:

The ship combat stuff was the best part of AC3, and I assume the makers saw how awesome that was and decided to go pirate with AC4 purely because of it.

I haven't played AC4 yet, gonna wait till it's cheap. Somebody tell me it's got pretty much the same ship combat stuff as AC3. Honestly, that stuff demands its own game. I'm surprised there's not already a game where you captain a ship for the Queen's Navy and fight bucanneers.
Actually the AC4 ship combat is a greatly expanded upon version of AC3's ship combat. It's way better.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Orv posted:

Sleeping Dogs racing was loving awful, I don't know what you're on.

Says the guy with 20 hours in The Crew.

I love that game and the fact that it's basically TDU3 in all but name, I'm just hoping to turn people against you

Orv
May 4, 2011
Having beat Sleeping Dogs + DLC just yesterday I can confirm the driving in that is the worst with the exception of two cars.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I Am Just a Box posted:

Do you like repetitive grinding and incremental advances in grind efficiency and mobility through the game world, in the classic formula designed to create an illusory sense of achievement and change?

I do, so I like it well enough. Kind of glad I didn't spend more than a buck on it, though.
Have none of you people played Motherload, Dig Dug, Digger etc.? You're describing this game as some strange digging metroidvania while it's just another title in an old genre. There's even been another similar game released on Steam some time ago: Super Motherload. Kids these days.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Orv posted:

Having beat Sleeping Dogs + DLC just yesterday I can confirm the driving in that is the worst with the exception of two cars.

Still nowhere as bad as GTAIV's racing.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The driving in Sleeping Dogs is amazing for an open world game. The racing is great by those same standards because (from what I remember) they're all very short.

gently caress all new racing games though, just give me Burnout 3 thanks.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Manatee Cannon posted:

There weren't any bonus objectives involving powder kegs in Black Flag. I dunno what he means by accidentally upgrading the ram.
I was talking about AC3, where the most reliable way to breach a hull was by ramming the enemy ship. Unfortunately, if you upgraded the ram, you would do so much damage with a collision that you would instantly destroy anything but a Man-O-War at full sail. Approaching at half sail would expose the kegs without destroying the ship, but on missions with stormy conditions, you might be moving too slowly on approach and not breach the hull, but do too much damage for the enemy ship to survive a second attempt.

It honestly would've been okay if you the missions didn't require you to defeat every single enemy ship available in the stage with the powder keg method since you could realistically crack at least one open, but forcing the player to kill 100% of the enemy units with a technique that has maybe a 50-50 chance of success on rough seas is a little mean.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Sep 10, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I know you were, but the guy that replied to you and I was replying to wasn't.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

AC3 has a boring protagonist and an even more boring setting. Ezio is flamboyant and base-jumps off the Colosseum and Hagia Sophia, Connor speaks in a monotone and parkours through a set of drab, interchangeable colonial towns.

I just finished AC3 a little while ago and ugh I kind of regretted spending so much time on it. Didn't bother to finish the King George DLC either.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I dunno if turning 30 is distorting my brain but my opinion is growing weirder about games. Like I'm really enjoying RAGE a lot, for example.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ what a terrible pre-midlife crisis to have.

If you guys didn't enjoy the driving of Sleeping Dogs you can all go to hell.

RIGHT to hell, I say.

The race portions were just extensions of the normal open world driving and it was pretty darn decent for a game of its type.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
How have I never heard about Hack N Slash before? Is the game as good as the concept sounds?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

I dunno if turning 30 is distorting my brain but my opinion is growing weirder about games. Like I'm really enjoying RAGE a lot, for example.
Depends what part of it you're enjoying. The shooting is dang fun, like using the pistol with the magnum rounds. The car racing/combat is Meh at best.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

gandlethorpe posted:

How have I never heard about Hack N Slash before? Is the game as good as the concept sounds?

Not overly, no. I wish there was more to say about it, but no.

Orv
May 4, 2011

gandlethorpe posted:

It's not as good as the concept sounds but it is an okay game. Not great, but okay.

Orv
May 4, 2011
E: Goddamn you Chrome, you whore.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
The only ways you can possibly gently caress up racing in Sleeping Dogs is if you were either not paying any attention to the map at all or doing the motorbike races, and even then, playing aggressively by pushing your rivals into other cars puts them out for a few seconds if it doesn't total them outright.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Croccers posted:

Depends what part of it you're enjoying. The shooting is dang fun, like using the pistol with the magnum rounds. The car racing/combat is Meh at best.
The car is whatever, I do like bursting around. But man the shooting is fun and the levels are really tightly designed. The best thing is all the missions have some sort of shortcut at the end to get you back to your vehicle so you don't have to go backwards the entire way through the level. Wish I could say that about some of Borderlands' quests.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Quest For Glory II posted:

That makes sense because RAGE is a fun game with fun guns to shoot guys with and also I played that card game. And the insane circus + insane circus multiplayer parts were fun. It's too bad about the story and non openworldness of it and the ending and it being pretty short.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Orv posted:

It's not as good as the concept sounds but it is an okay game. Not great, but okay.

Have you played it since it hit Version 1.0?

E: I really liked the shooting bits in RAGE, just not the other stuff. Oh wait I'm late 30s OH GOD IT'S TRUE

markgreyam fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Sep 10, 2014

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Palpek posted:

Have none of you people played Motherload, Dig Dug, Digger etc.?

Nope. Sorry old man.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Lance Streetman posted:

Nope. Sorry old man.
:corsair: :corsair:

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Minecraft, now with GFWLTM.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Not even Microsoft uses GFWL anymore.

Orv
May 4, 2011

markgreyam posted:

Have you played it since it hit Version 1.0?

E: I really liked the shooting bits in RAGE, just not the other stuff. Oh wait I'm late 30s OH GOD IT'S TRUE

I have not but I played everything but the final act, which supposedly doubles down on the value changing nonsense, but eh.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The funny bit is that's just a waste of money since Minecraft is on every platform now -- and Mojang knows their time is up. They won't ever do anything of worth so might as well get bought by a high price.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Saoshyant posted:

The funny bit is that's just a waste of money since Minecraft is on every platform now -- and Mojang knows their time is up. They won't ever do anything of worth so might as well get bought by a high price.

Honestly, it's pretty smart of them to do this. I don't think it's on a Nintendo platform but honestly, it's on so many platforms that it really doesn't matter if it's not on one of them.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Hell if I was Notch I'd take any chance I could to wash my hands of the internet.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I like that this implies that Microsoft actually thinks about the Vita at all. Someone has to, I guess.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
So is Prison Architect anything like Theme Hospital? If so, I'm in

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
People keep making jokes, but Microsoft might actually and finally finish the game :smugdog:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The SteamDB folks have reason to think that the Steam Store Redesign will drop on or around the 16th, since there were backend changes made in preparation during maintenance this week. Should be interesting...

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Cable posted:

So is Prison Architect anything like Theme Hospital? If so, I'm in

Less random wacky hijinks and babysitting of your staff, but the management themes are there.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Oh hell yes, now that was a classic game, along with Elevator Action, the original Frogger and many others.

...Dammit, now you're making me wish that an official emulator pack - like with the Sega Genesis, I think? - comes out on Steam for all those arcade games, but I'm certain it'll never happen :smithicide:

EDIT: vvv Bubble Bobble! I'd forgotten about that one. And yeah, I did that bike-pump torture on the last guy as well. We turned out alright in the end, right? ...right?

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Sep 10, 2014

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

This, Bubble Bobble, Impossible Mission, Cops & Robbers, Paradroid, Lords of Chaos, and so on.

I hope that it was a common thing to pump the last guy up and then let him deflate a bit, then pump him up some more, then let him deflate a bit, and so on and that I wasn't simply a budding psychopath from a young age.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I'm having some trouble with dawn of war retribution just not tracking any of my stats or achievements, which is really irritating as that poo poo unlocks equipment.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

lordfrikk posted:

People keep making jokes, but Microsoft might actually and finally finish the game :smugdog:

They might release the modding API :notch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ow... My wallet...

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/action/sonic-ultimate-pack/

https://www.humblebundle.com/ (Prison Architect for 10$ including like 7 other GREAT games)

http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/fear-bundle/ I've never played fear

• Locked thread