Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
the holograms in dead money were the least annoying thing about it the lovely mazelike town area full of nothing you had to traverse multiple times was the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

VideoGames posted:

poo poo, i DID like old world blues and I DID enjoy the gently caress out of fallout3.
i feel like my gaming opinions contrast massively to those of 'everyone'

OWB was decent and Fallout 3 was good, but New Vegas and most of the rest of the DLC are like, way gooder.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Dead Money > Honest Hearts > Lonesome Road > Old World Blues

This but unironically.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Laputanmachine posted:

This but unironically.

He wasn't being ironic.

Soral
May 30, 2009

dead money is bad. sorry. maybe theres some other part you like about it like the characters or writing or whatever and thats really cool, but its boring and everything looks the same and you backtrack constantly and its full of annoying mechanics like death fog and those dumb loudspeakers that kill you if you dont move fast enough and those guys that stay alive unless you gib them.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Soral posted:

dead money is bad. sorry. maybe theres some other part you like about it like the characters or writing or whatever and thats really cool, but its boring and everything looks the same and you backtrack constantly and its full of annoying mechanics like death fog and those dumb loudspeakers that kill you if you dont move fast enough and those guys that stay alive unless you gib them.

Why are you apologising? For subjecting everyone to your stupidity? It's cool, but keep it in Games next time.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Why do so many people have trouble with the speakers and the ghost people.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
They're like the easiest parts of Dead Money.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
i never played the fallout3 dlc and owb was the only new vegas dlc i played

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
never had issues with anything feeling bullet spongy in OWB, but then again the proton axe pretty much murders everything in that dlc. fetch quests were really lovely

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

Lonesome Road is bad, in every way imaginable.
Honest Hearts is just boring, also I personally can't stand the whole noble savage thing, especially with the obligatory spirit journey.
Old World Blues is funny and cool to explore I guess.
Dead Money is just so crazy atmospheric that even the stupid fog running can't ruin its sheer magnificence.

That's the only correct opinion to have about the New Vegas DLCs guys, sorry.

Soral
May 30, 2009

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Why do so many people have trouble with the speakers and the ghost people.

the speakers arent hard. theyre just a bad and annoying mechanic, much like fog that deals damage over time and enemies that are only vulnerable if you kill them in a very specific way.

Soral
May 30, 2009

and all of that is on top of the bland, samey maze you have to backtrack through. its not a good gameplay experience

Soral
May 30, 2009

i understand and respect people's opinion when they say they enjoy the atmosphere or story or whatever, tho. i agree, those parts are very excellent.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Soral posted:

the speakers arent hard. theyre just a bad and annoying mechanic, much like fog that deals damage over time and enemies that are only vulnerable if you kill them in a very specific way.

The fog and other elements add a constant danger that turns even a wasteland god into a vulnerable baby. It's cool as hell. Ghost people aren;t even hard to kill htough. Cut that weak poo poo out, or take a hike.

Soral
May 30, 2009

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The fog and other elements add a constant danger that turns even a wasteland god into a vulnerable baby. It's cool as hell. Ghost people aren;t even hard to kill htough. Cut that weak poo poo out, or take a hike.

yes i agree that it is cool as hell to turn a wasteland god into a vulnerable baby, my complaint is that it could have been handled in a much better way than the dumb and annoying mechanics they chose to use

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
i think the stalker games capture that mindset way better than dead money does.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The radios aren;t hard to get around either ASIDE from those ones inside the sierra madre, and it feels good to scope out a hard to reach radio and find a way to shoot it or turn it off.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

AHungryRobot posted:

I got bored of stalker fairly quickly, but I never encountered anything like Dead Money in it. The resident evil games are closer.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
i'm not referring to any specific gameplay mechanic, just the overall attempt to create an oppressive atmosphere and make the player feel vulnerable. and how quickly did you give it up out of curiosity?

Soral
May 30, 2009

on further reflection, my real problem with dead money isn't really dead money, it's with the lovely and horrible engine the game was made on. if gamebryo wasn't total poo poo then maybe obsidian could have achieved the feel they were going for with dead money without having to rely on mechanics that are annoying

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

AHungryRobot posted:

i'm not referring to any specific gameplay mechanic, just the overall attempt to create an oppressive atmosphere and make the player feel vulnerable. and how quickly did you give it up out of curiosity?

It's been so long I can;t remember anything specific.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Soral posted:

on further reflection, my real problem with dead money isn't really dead money, it's with the lovely and horrible engine the game was made on. if gamebryo wasn't total poo poo then maybe obsidian could have achieved the feel they were going for with dead money without having to rely on mechanics that are annoying

I think it's cool that they did something totally different with the atmosphere of the game. They kinda went halfway there with LR, but being able to fast travel and leave at your leisure diluted it.

Dec 26, 2012

AHungryRobot posted:

nah not really

Soral
May 30, 2009

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I think it's cool that they did something totally different with the atmosphere of the game. They kinda went halfway there with LR, but being able to fast travel and leave at your leisure diluted it.

agreed

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

01011001 posted:

nah not really

yes, really. nothing in dead money comes close to the atmosphere you get in places like x-18 in shadow of chernobyl imho.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

If the Stalker games weren't completely broken piles of lovely coding they would be much much better.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
there's nothing wrong with the gamebryo engine, it's the retarded scripting system Bethesda uses that the problem; just general incompetence on their part.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

It's cool how htere are mods for every "impossible" thing that they couldn;t put in the official patches. Like the DLCs couldn;t interact with each other, which is why Grunt (Honest Hearts perk for soldier weapons) doesn't work with the BAR from dead Money, but Ropekid immediately integrated all of that poo poo with his mod the moment the game stopped getting official support.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

All the DLCs are either bad or merely boring but tolerable.

Soral
May 30, 2009

Scyther posted:

All the DLCs are either bad or merely boring but tolerable.

wrong, actually

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Dead Money > Honest Hearts > Lonesome Road > Old World Blues

agreed

i actually really liked Dr Mobius in OWB

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

The DLCs are much more fun if you're on Hardcore and/or using Jsawyer, PN or something like those

OWB is much more fun if you're using EVE

Also Stalker Clear Sky shouldn't be a Stalker game imo it just didn't have the same quality to me as the others

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
eve loving kicks rear end. kind of finicky to get running with other mods but the extra crit effects and poo poo just look so cool.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

AHungryRobot posted:

eve loving kicks rear end. kind of finicky to get running with other mods but the extra crit effects and poo poo just look so cool.

Getting mods to work together is one of the reasons I stopped working on oblivion engine mods altogether; if the mod project you are working with gets popular enough you have to end up making it work with other mods

At least Eve had the foresight to plan for this which makes it much nicer than the iron sights mod for Fallout 3; gently caress getting that thing to work right with other mods

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The coolest thing about EVE is that it retextures all the energy weapons.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
gun runner's arsenal should probably be between lonesome road and old world blues

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Effectronica posted:

gun runner's arsenal should probably be between lonesome road and old world blues

GRA is good but hilarious in that it exposes one of the serious issues with the Oblivion engine: DLC can't talk to one another

The entire reason for the GRA versions of identical weapons to exist is because of that. The weapons mods extended guys had to make a tool to toggle the GRA flag to work with it.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Widestancer posted:

GRA is good but hilarious in that it exposes one of the serious issues with the Oblivion engine: DLC can't talk to one another

The entire reason for the GRA versions of identical weapons to exist is because of that. The weapons mods extended guys had to make a tool to toggle the GRA flag to work with it.

that, and the problem that the prices are way out of whack with the original weapons for the benefits they bring.

the preorder packs are probably at the very bottom because you get them immediately and they trivialize much of the early game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

Effectronica posted:

the preorder packs are probably at the very bottom because you get them immediately and they trivialize much of the early game

play jsawyer

• Locked thread