Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Is grid known as being a difficult game? I've played plenty of burnout but can't grasp the controls in grid. Tried both a steering wheel and gamepad both with bad results.

Also got crazy taxi which doesn't work with my steering wheel. Makes me sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Grid goes for realism while Burnout is an arcade game so it's not surprising you have problems.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Has anybody tried playing Assetto Corsa with a controller? The steering feels glacially slow, like the game severely limits the max steering wheel spin rate to simulate "realism" but it ends up just feeling awful. Is there any way to speed this setting up?

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Hammerwatchout suckas!

https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=s5UNsqtDF33TzkDm

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"
Who missed the free Warlock: Master of the Arcane?

https://www.humblebundle.com/?gift=NSqRrxpxETUMShKs

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

scourgeofthe7bees posted:

Hammerwatchout suckas!

Hey, thanks for this. I've heard everyone always talking this little guy up. I'll give it a shot, seems like it could be fun in tiny bursts.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Just announced via a release schedule: King of Fighters '98 Ultimate Match Final Edition and King of Fighters 2002 Unlimited Match are heading to Steam sometime this year.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Downs Duck posted:

Who missed the free Warlock: Master of the Arcane?

https://www.humblebundle.com/?gift=NSqRrxpxETUMShKs

I did. :v:

Thanks!

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

Shindragon posted:

Thanks!

You're welcome!

And who missed Gunpoint?
https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=pUaDHcwmKb4RdDzq

vYou're welcome too! :v:

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 10, 2014

DadWilly
Jul 1, 2003

Thanks!

(:v:)

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Just saw a little of the giantbomb quicklook of Destiny (is it really out right now?) and it seemed good looking but pretty 'more of the same' in everything else.

It certainly didn't help things that the people doing the quicklook were super blase about the whole thing - that might be telling of the quality.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Drifter posted:

Just saw a little of the giantbomb quicklook of Destiny (is it really out right now?) and it seemed good looking but pretty 'more of the same' in everything else.

It certainly didn't help things that the people doing the quicklook were super blase about the whole thing - that might be telling of the quality.

good thing this is a steam game oh
at least its a pc game oh
good thing you posted about it in this thread

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Drifter posted:

To continue to ruin this thread, I feel like since Patrick and Vinny moved away and Ryan passed the remaining dudes seem burnt out and not excited about video games at all.

On PC gaming: Defense Grid 2 release to very little fanfare that I saw. How does it stack up compared to the first game?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Defense Grid 2 is finally out? holy poo poo. I, too, would like to know how it is. I really enjoyed the first one.

Mortimer posted:

good thing this is a steam game oh
at least its a pc game oh
good thing you posted about it in this thread

It'll be a pc game in a few years. Just giving you the heads up now.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Destiny seems like a Halo game without interesting enemies to fight or weapons to use (other than the revolver.)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It's Halo mixed with a lame borderlands clone with some of the dullest art direction I've seen.

It's not completely awful but just incredibly bland.

Edit: also its a wannabe mmo so it's always online.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Drifter posted:

They're super blasé about it because they don't like it very much . They said during the beta that if the game was just that but longer it wasn't for them and from the sounds of it that's what it is. Going back to the same area over and over again and so forth and boring mission structure. I dunno I was pumped about it but everything I hear about it makes me want it less and less.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Palpek posted:

Grid goes for realism* while Burnout is an arcade game so it's not surprising you have problems.

*Note: The term 'realism' may not actually apply to these game. Signed, PC sim master race.

GreatGreen posted:

Has anybody tried playing Assetto Corsa with a controller? The steering feels glacially slow, like the game severely limits the max steering wheel spin rate to simulate "realism" but it ends up just feeling awful. Is there any way to speed this setting up?

I had the opposite problem, no deadzone on a 360 controller with worn sticks means going straight at speed is basically impossible.

I think their controller support just sucks, best option is an out-of-game controller emulator like (x360fce or whatever?) that will modulate your controls for you.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Mokinokaro posted:

It's Halo mixed with a lame borderlands clone with some of the dullest art direction I've seen.

I'm glad it's delayed on PC. By the time it does come out, the console players' reactions will have already made it clear if it's worth buying or not. I played the beta on PS3, and it felt like it had lots of potential... but so did Brink.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

It's alright, but it really is pretty bland, if it does come out on PC I don't think I'll get it.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

FadedReality posted:

To continue to ruin this thread, I feel like since Patrick and Vinny moved away and Ryan passed the remaining dudes seem burnt out and not excited about video games at all.

That only applies to Jeff. Brad, Dan, and Drew are all basically excited puppies all the time. Destiny just looks super meh no matter how you look at it.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
When it comes out on PC two years from now people will be probably as excited about it as they would be about a port of Halo 4 :effort:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

FadedReality posted:

On PC gaming: Defense Grid 2 release to very little fanfare that I saw.

Because it hasn't released yet. Release date is 23 September.

I tried the beta a month ago and was worried. It was rather rough as, aside the constant crashes, there were sound issues all over the place that made me think their new engine is not ready for prime time (at least it isn't Gamebryo anymore).

Some new ideas are there like using items to customize towers which will differ greatly from the first game, except the beta didn't allow you to test any of this, in fact the beta was just two missions and their variants (hard mode, swarm, green towers, etc). The enemy AI isn't quite there either yet.

So, all in all, I would have been fine by what I played if it was the state of the game six months ago, but one month ago and with only 13 days left for release I'm not entirely confident about it. At worst I imagine it will take a while after release until they are able to iron out issues.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
whoah, gender bender dna twister extreme is out on early access now.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Lance Streetman posted:

That only applies to Jeff. Brad, Dan, and Drew are all basically excited puppies all the time. Destiny just looks super meh no matter how you look at it.

The most entertaining thing about Destiny is watching people start to notice its flaws, then claim that those aren't the parts that matter. Also the real game apparently starts at the end... when you do the same dull stuff but in a protracted MMO rep grind.

To vaguely swing this back to PC gaming I hope that someone knocks one of these games out of the park. The FPS+loot concept is just begging for someone to come along and realize its full potential. It's surprising that we've seen so few attempts since Borderlands and Destiny sold well in spite of their shortcomings.

Corin Tucker's Stalker fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Sep 10, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mokinokaro posted:

So it's Borderlands then

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

The most entertaining thing about Destiny is watching people start to notice its flaws, then claim that those aren't the parts that matter. Also the real game apparently starts at the end... when you do the same dull stuff but in a protracted MMO rep grind.

To vaguely swing this back to PC gaming I hope that someone knocks one of these games out of the park. The FPS+loot concept is just begging for someone to come along and realize its full potential. It's surprising that we've seen so few attempts since Borderlands and Destiny sold well in spite of their shortcomings.

Destiny is a decent console pickup just because what else are you going to play on a XBONE/PS4? It's a pretty game that showcases the new hardware platforms. But the PC already has some quality shooters and MMOs so the impact is lessened.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

Because it hasn't released yet. Release date is 23 September.

I tried the beta a month ago and was worried. It was rather rough as, aside the constant crashes, there were sound issues all over the place that made me think their new engine is not ready for prime time (at least it isn't Gamebryo anymore).

Some new ideas are there like using items to customize towers which will differ greatly from the first game, except the beta didn't allow you to test any of this, in fact the beta was just two missions and their variants (hard mode, swarm, green towers, etc). The enemy AI isn't quite there either yet.

So, all in all, I would have been fine by what I played if it was the state of the game six months ago, but one month ago and with only 13 days left for release I'm not entirely confident about it. At worst I imagine it will take a while after release until they are able to iron out issues.

You need AI in tower defense? :crossarms:

What I concerned about is how much work the multiplayer mode they're putting in requires. Judging by the updates that I remember reading it seems that's what they've been polishing a lot for conventions and shows. I'm not the biggest tower defense player but multiplayer isn't something I'm especially interested in. Judging by the way they're building the competitive multiplayer it seems like it would take a ton of balancing work. Not sure if it'll be worth it in the end.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

The most entertaining thing about Destiny is watching people start to notice its flaws, then claim that those aren't the parts that matter.

Related to Steam, I think Destiny is setting a major precedent in the console industry by not having day one reviews, supposedly because devs need the servers loaded to get the "full experience".

:tinfoil:

I think the age of demos and early reviews is officially meeting its end, a game can sell on hype alone so there's just no point in risking bad reviews for a game. There will still be paid early access of course- except if you want an early review you have to pledge support a la Kickstarter. But given how anything sells on Steam without a demo or a preview copy or anything, there's just not point to it anymore. Hell games don't even have to be finished at launch (Early Access). You can launch a game with a fraction of its content (Destiny) and defy all early reviews saying "oh that's not the full experience". Forever Beta, forever profit. Soon finished games will be an indie thing, mainstream will be half-finished moneymaking regimes.

This is the new model. Really Minecraft set the precedent, just like Halo there's nothing really revolutionary here, this is just the moment this form became the AAA standard.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Quest For Glory II posted:

So it's Borderlands then

But worse in almost every way possible except for the feel of the guns.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Kibayasu posted:

You need AI in tower defense? :crossarms:

You do when there are circunstances that make the enemies confused on what path to take.

Kibayasu posted:

What I concerned about is how much work the multiplayer mode they're putting in requires.

Requires? It's in the beta and all it requires is a player searching for a game at the same time as you, no magic. From what I have seen it's rather uninteresting, though. It's the same standard stages but with co-op added in where each player controls a part of the map and you can't build on the other player's side. What's the point, even?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mokinokaro posted:

But worse in almost every way possible except for the feel of the guns.

I like the gunplay way more in Destiny than BL2. And Dinklebot is way less irritating than Claptrap, but that isn't really saying much.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
That's what I was saying. The gunplay is better.

Unfortunately it's the only really good thing in the game. Destiny is borderlands with less variety in every area and the zany bad writing replaced by downright lifeless and cliche writing delivered by terrible acting.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

And Dinklebot is way less irritating than Claptrap, but that isn't really saying much.

They copied Claptrap? Holy poo poo.

Anyway DS4s for $40, if you need a good controller,

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

Unfortunately it's the only really good thing in the game. Destiny is borderlands with less variety in every area and the zany bad writing replaced by downright lifeless and cliche writing delivered by terrible acting.

but man you can go to the MOON isn't that zany enough for you

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Anyway DS4s for $40, if you need a good controller,

do I need to do any crazy voodoo to get a DS4 working like I had to do for a DS3?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

They copied Claptrap? Holy poo poo.

The companion robot in Destiny is way less obtrusive and less banal, at least from what I've watched on streams. He seems to serve more of a R2-D2-like role, assuming Artoo could speak "english".

There are moments of sarcasm/snark, but I liked what I've heard. Then again, I don't hate Claptrap as much as everyone else does (he's grating at times but not the flesh-rending horror that some people like to make him out to be) so maybe my opinion should be disregarded. The awful way post-launch balance was handled with BL2 ruined that game way more than Claptrap ever did. v:shobon:v

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mokinokaro posted:

As long as it doesn't take me countless bullets to kill one thing like TVHM did at the end of BL2.

quote:

The companion robot in Destiny is way less obtrusive and less banal, at least from what I've watched on streams. He seems to serve more of a R2-D2-like role, assuming Artoo could speak "english".

And also this.

Really the game's pretty much just the same kind of game Bungie keeps making, so you know where you stand on it before you buy it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mortimer posted:

but man you can go to the MOON isn't that zany enough for you

do I need to do any crazy voodoo to get a DS4 working like I had to do for a DS3?

If you're gonna drop money on a controller for PC gaming, just drop $30 on a wired Xbox 360 controller and never worry again about compatibility.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

I like the gunplay way more in Destiny than BL2. And Dinklebot is way less irritating than Claptrap, but that isn't really saying much.

This is a viewpoint that I share. Borderlands aesthetic irritates the life out of me, and the enemies do nothing on the level of Destiny's bots use of cover; but they are dumb enough to head for the same cover spot that was vacated by the explosive deconstruction of a colleagues head.

To be honest, the biggest problem is that they enforce fireteams, then default them to closed with not much actual social interaction, making the whole thing seem a little sterile. Given that the field on the PS is BL2, Call of BLOPS, Dust 514 (lawwwwl) and this, I don't think it's entirely disastrous. Compared with a PC shooter it's nothing special and I'd advise people to stay away if they have a competent shooter they love.

I have no problem with Dinklage's characterization apart from the awful American accent.

Finally, if you want great writing, read a book. Games are a quasi-interactive medium that doesn't leave a lot of room for the imagination, and most exposition in shooters provides a backdrop rather than being part of the fabric.

revdrkevind posted:

I think the age of demos and early reviews is officially meeting its end, a game can sell on hype alone so there's just no point in risking bad reviews for a game.

That happened a couple of years ago. You're beginning to see the backlash against that; the publishers are already saying that pre-orders are way, way down, and pretty much everyone says 'DO not pre-order' because we've never held the industry accountable for even the barest minimum of merchantable quality, so they're going to do the minimum until they get caught (usually by the press, but also from rowdy bands of roaming posters)

If you hit the MWO thread in this very forum, you can see the backlash against PGI and their new 'transverse' property that they're attempting to crowdfund.

Edit: And I was going to post about Grid - Grid is pretty difficult to get to grips with, as it's on the simmy side of things. You'll want to control your throttle through the curves and *learn the tracks*, but I still run into problems with it sometimes.

Hav fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Hav posted:

I have no problem with Dinklage's characterization apart from the awful American accent.

???

quote:

Peter Hayden Dinklage is an American actor

• Locked thread