Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Saoshyant posted:

So, all in all, I would have been fine by what I played if it was the state of the game six months ago, but one month ago and with only 13 days left for release I'm not entirely confident about it. At worst I imagine it will take a while after release until they are able to iron out issues.

Not 6 months ago, but the closed beta's last update was May 31. Hopefully they've done a fair bit of work since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
He uses a weird accent in the game that sounds fake even if it's his real one.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you're gonna drop money on a controller for PC gaming, just drop $30 on a wired Xbox 360 controller and never worry again about compatibility.

I would actually like to use the dpad on my controller though

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Basically at this point you should have a Wired 360 controller. It's compatible with everything (even emulators!) and it's pretty much one of the most solidly made, well designed controllers out there. It's also essential for a lot of games. I mean, you can technically play games like Metal Gear Rising with the keyboard and mouse, like you could also technically play a flight simulator with a guitar hero controller, but it's pretty lovely in comparison.

^^ I played and beat SOTN on Epsxe several times with my 360 controller and never had an issue with the d-pad. Don't be such a baby.

rargphlam
Dec 16, 2008
It's like they directed him to do a British robot, but then said not to make it actually British but still kind of British.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you're gonna drop money on a controller for PC gaming, just drop $30 on a wired Xbox 360 controller and never worry again about compatibility.

Eh, I have both and definitely prefer the DS4. For only $10 extra, I would definitely go with that. It's much more versatile (for example, I can use the Bluetooth to wirelessly play emulated SNES games on my tablet) and IMO a better overall controller.

To answer the original question, it's not as mindless plug-n-play as a wired 360 controller, but the driver/interface programs that have been made for it make it pretty easy. Sometimes I have to relaunch a game or the DS4 program or both to get everything working right, but most of the time it works with no fuss.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Has anyone tried Hack 'n Slash yet? I really want to hear good things to justify pulling the trigger on it.

Also, does the Enemy Within XCOM DLC add enough to warrant another play through?

e: If I've never played a Scribblenauts game but am kind of a superhero junkie, is Scribblenauts Unmasked ($5 at humble bundle store) worth it?

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 10, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

WarLocke posted:

Also, does the Enemy Within XCOM DLC add enough to warrant another play through?

Yes, it's great. You get two new types of soldiers, aliens get a couple new ones, and there's a new enemy faction (that's kind of underwhelming but eh).

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Does the DS4 update the form factor at all? I have big hands and can't stand the older DS controllers. For example, my hands were big enough to find the original XBox Large controllers comfortable to hold, even if I prefer the revamped layout.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Yeah it's got a lot of really great content. It's not a separate campaign or anything but it adds significantly to it, very much worth another play through.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Ddraig posted:

^^ I played and beat SOTN on Epsxe several times with my 360 controller and never had an issue with the d-pad. Don't be such a baby.
it's terrible. I actually prefer using my ds3.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

WarLocke posted:

You mean Enemy Within? It's a proper old-school Firaxis-style expansion pack, so yes. Absolutely worth it.

It's also a prerequisite for the Long War mod, which is pretty much a community-made second expansion that even the lead XCom designer loves. About 90% of the discussion in the XCom thread is centered around that mod now, as it adds so much to the game.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I bought a DS4 a few weeks ago, last time it was $40, and I couldn't be happier. I use these to emulate a 360 controller, but there are others you can use with more features. Basically, I turn the controller on, it connects to my PC, then I start that program, and as far as Windows is concerned it's a 360 controller. The DS4 actually DirectInput on its own, so for older games/emulators you may not even need the unofficial drivers. It will pair to Windows (7) over Bluetooth as-is. Really really simple.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Does the DS4 update the form factor at all? I have big hands and can't stand the older DS controllers. For example, my hands were big enough to find the original XBox Large controllers comfortable to hold, even if I prefer the revamped layout.

Yeah, they made the handles (for lack of a better term) a bit longer and overall it just feels so much more comfortable. I didn't like using the DS2 or 3 for the same reason as you, and the DS4 is so comfortable to me. I've actually used the DS4 for a couple of PS3 games but it's kind of a hassle because the PS button doesn't work on the PS3.

Humerus fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 10, 2014

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

It does have a much better form factor than the DS3 and previous versions (all of which I loathed), although I did have to adjust the way I positioned it in my hands compared to the 360 controller. I don't have big hands though.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Then I apologise profusely, I thought he was English. His accent is perfectly fine, my ears are hosed up.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!
e: looks like I've been beaten to the PS4 controller stuff pretty well, oops

WarLocke posted:

I've heard a lot of people say that it really improved their game, but it probably isn't enough for an urgent replay unless you'd really like some more XCOM.

zonar fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 10, 2014

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Hav posted:

Finally, if you want great writing, read a book. Games are a quasi-interactive medium that doesn't leave a lot of room for the imagination, and most exposition in shooters provides a backdrop rather than being part of the fabric.

Game narratives matter as much as sports narratives. At the very least, you need a feud or some heat to get people pumped to see the end. Good characters also help. Destiny seems to have none of that.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

rargphlam posted:

It's like they directed him to do a British robot, but then said not to make it actually British but still kind of British.

In the beta he had this really obnoxious filter on his lines. It almost sounds like they tried to digitally remove it instead of just using untouched recordings.

Destiny's story, especially due to the voice acting, is horribly distracting. It's as bad as Diablo 3.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Humerus posted:

Yeah, they made the handles (for lack of a better term) a bit longer and overall it just feels so much more comfortable. I didn't like using the DS2 or 3 for the same reason as you, and the DS4 is so comfortable to me. I've actually used the DS4 for a couple of PS3 games but it's kind of a hassle because the PS button doesn't work on the PS3.

Oh cool. I'll have to pick one up once my 360 wired finally bites the bucket.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Tezzeract posted:

Game narratives matter as much as sports narratives.

This is a fun thing to say, I guess, but also very dumb and untrue like every blanket statement ever made.

Since we're talking about destiny I think it looks like hot garbage. The i-device style aesthetic is really bland and everything about it just looks borderlands-esque but with none of the personality.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

revdrkevind posted:

*Note: The term 'realism' may not actually apply to these game. Signed, PC sim master race.
I knew somebody would sperg about this and who you're gonna call if not a racing sim enthusiast. The point is that Grid is more realistic than Burnout.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

YOURFRIEND posted:

This is a fun thing to say, I guess, but also very dumb and untrue like every blanket statement ever made.

It depends on how badly the game forces the story on you. Destiny and Diablo 3 constantly barrage you with badly written voice dialogue.

Edit: come to think of it BL2 is the same way during some quests.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 10, 2014

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I don't really care about destiny I just want Halo 3 on PC

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Hav posted:

That happened a couple of years ago. You're beginning to see the backlash against that; the publishers are already saying that pre-orders are way, way down, and pretty much everyone says 'DO not pre-order' because we've never held the industry accountable for even the barest minimum of merchantable quality, so they're going to do the minimum until they get caught (usually by the press, but also from rowdy bands of roaming posters)

If you hit the MWO thread in this very forum, you can see the backlash against PGI and their new 'transverse' property that they're attempting to crowdfund.

This is great news actually. Nobody should preorder games at all, just like nobody should preorder anything of infinite supply and instant availability, especially coupled with the fact that twitch and youtube exist so users can get all the info they could want about a game beforehand. There is no reason in the world you should trade money for a non-perishable or non-consumable good you cannot try first, or at the very least read reviews by trusted parties about.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 10, 2014

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I genuinely like the Halo games. Sure, they're console shooters and not :pcgaming: but the campaigns are always fun, and the multiplayer is hilarious and the games have an amazingly sophisticated physics engine and internal logic. I think my favorite kill I've ever seen is when someone hijacked someone, and kicked them off the vehicle into a wall which killed them. It's moments like that that make the games memorable.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
I'm gonna be the dissenting voice and say I didn't like the DS4 all that much when I tried it at Best Buy. It felt awkward to use and I thought the analog sticks felt weird. I'm apparently the minority in this regard, however, as everybody I've talked to online apparently loves it.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

The only thing I don't like about the DualShock 4 is that the L2/R2 buttons are way too sensitive. The face buttons are a little "smooshier" than the 360 controller and I could do with them being a bit stiffer but it's not a deal breaker. The DS4 d-pad is great and there's something satisfying about the touch screen also being a big button you can't miss when you want to hit it. The L1/R1 buttons in particular feel great to use.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I have almost comically large hands, so the DS4 isn't that great for me. All the more power to those who like it, it just feels awkward to use for a freak like me.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

New Greenlight bundle for those who are clinging on to the hope that Valve actually will greenlight games again, one day. Asteria looks interesting.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Palpek posted:

I knew somebody would sperg about this and who you're gonna call if not a racing sim enthusiast. The point is that Grid is more realistic* than Burnout.

Sim racers are picky about this stuff for a reason. For example, the NFS:Shift games try to lay claim to sim realism, but it's just not. GRID 1 is kind of like that. It's realistic-ish, but it doesn't scratch your sim itch, except if you're trying to find a drift game on consoles, because it fills that niche.

With Assetto Corsa / Project CARS / iRacing in the news, PC simmers can afford to talk some smack. There's no reason to waste money and time on inferior games if you might possibly be interested in getting into "real" racing. There's never been a better time to jump in and go for it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Domestic Dog looks like a more fleshed out Goat Simulator game. Destroy stuff by pissing on everything. It is Tamagotchi:Dog.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Pull a War Thunder with your racing games. There is Arcadey, "Realistic", and Full Simulation. :v:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

New Greenlight bundle for those who are clinging on to the hope that Valve actually will greenlight games again, one day.

They quietly greenlit a whole bunch about a week back. They just didn't announce it this time.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

revdrkevind posted:

Sim racers are picky about this stuff for a reason. For example, the NFS:Shift games try to lay claim to sim realism, but it's just not. GRID 1 is kind of like that. It's realistic-ish, but it doesn't scratch your sim itch, except if you're trying to find a drift game on consoles, because it fills that niche.

With Assetto Corsa / Project CARS / iRacing in the news, PC simmers can afford to talk some smack. There's no reason to waste money and time on inferior games if you might possibly be interested in getting into "real" racing. There's never been a better time to jump in and go for it.
Have you even read the post I was answering to? The guy has problems with racing in Grid while still being good in Burnout. Yes, let me recommend iRacing to him.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Humble Bundle sales today:

Walking Dead S1 - $6.24
Shadow Warrior - $7.99
Dead Island :airquote: "GOTY" :airquote: - $4.99
FTL - $3.33
Scribblenauts Unmasked - $4.99
The Fall - $4.99
Democracy 3 - $6.24
Natural Selection 2 - $3.74
Bridge Constructor - $0.99

I think a couple of the other featured games not listed have already been at their listed price since Monday.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Is there some thing going on with all these invites of new accounts I should know about?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Just beat Splinter Cell: Blacklist - my backlog is now tiny. Feels incredible.

Even though I had the game crash about 20 times throughout my entire playthrough, I definitely recommend the game. The crashing was the only issue I had with the game. From what I understand the previous games focused more on stealth? I didn't mind playing Panther style (mix of stealth and assault), but I cannot imagine how tedious trying to stay completely hidden would be in Blacklist. It almost seems impossible in some sections.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

medieval 2 total war is good right? it + expansion 75% off at gmg

Orv
May 4, 2011

Awesome! posted:

medieval 2 total war is good right? it + expansion 75% off at gmg

One of the best if you can handle the dated graphics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

that just means it might actually run ok on my lovely laptop :v:

• Locked thread