Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Jerkface posted:

With 3 or 4 items his NON skill shot combo does over 1500 magic damage + 8% of your missing health. There are better hyper type champs of course, but Fizz is up there in terms of hyper scaling. If he hits you with his full combo you're very, very dead and the same can't be said for other mages with the same items.

A good assassin is a good assassin. Not a hypercarry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Corbeau posted:

A good assassin is a good assassin. Not a hypercarry.

Disagree, assassin champs can hyper carry. Fizz has all the tools to hyper carry a game because he can absolutely 1v5 a teamfight with zhonyas. He has a 1.75 ratio on just his trickster/ult combined and both are AOE, and with LB he does disgusting unavoidable damage on his urchin strike.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
The distinction matters because you fight an assassin very differently than you fight a carry (since they act very differently because of their different capabilities). Oversimplifiying: you dive a carry, but an assassin dives you. The key difference being which one wins a sustained fight and which one wins a 100-0 burst fight. An assassin also generally has to get in to do their damage (hi Fizz), while a carry can remain much safer.

Fizz may scale well as an assassin, but he's not a Kog or Trist.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 11, 2014

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Good job fighting without your tristana UOL

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I usually agree with you Pat but I disagree with you on this distinction. A champion that snowballs isn't necessarily a hyper carry. A hyper carry is a 6-item champion that can basically crank an entire team by himself. I'd limit the list to like Vayne, Twitch, Tristana, Jax, and maybe Yasuo. There's probably others I'm forgetting (e: kog).

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Corbeau posted:

The distinction matters because you fight an assassin very differently than you fight a carry (since they act very differently because of their different capabilities). Oversimplifiying: you dive a carry, but an assassin dives you. The key difference being which one wins a sustained fight and which one wins a 100-0 burst fight.

Or to put it in another way: If you can time out Fizz's Seastone Trident, he loses and he HAS to pull back because his fight is done and can't kill his target fast enough (particularly because everything else is gonna be on cooldown). If you time out Tristana's Rapid Fire, she just kills you anyways.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Admoon posted:

Good job fighting without your tristana UOL

Yup.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Corbeau posted:

The distinction matters because you fight an assassin very differently than you fight a carry (since they act very differently because of their different capabilities). Oversimplifiying: you dive a carry, but an assassin dives you. The key difference being which one wins a sustained fight and which one wins a 100-0 burst fight.

Kog or Trist are AD hyper carries yes, but another champion does not need to deal similar sustained DPS as those to also be a hyper carry. There will still be tiers of the hyper carries within that category.

Fizz's CDs are pretty short with blue buff and blue pot. Think you're really underestimating how much damage he puts out especially when his Q&W are unavoidable.

Libertine posted:

I usually agree with you Pat but I disagree with you on this distinction. A champion that snowballs isn't necessarily a hyper carry. A hyper carry is a 6-item champion that can basically crank an entire team by himself. I'd limit the list to like Vayne, Twitch, Tristana, Jax, and maybe Yasuo. There's probably others I'm forgetting (e: kog).

I don't see how you or that other guy can list Yasuo as a hyper carry and not include fizz. With 6 items( I calculated on only 4) Fizz does over 2k damage with JUST HIS Q+W combo!?!?!!?!? and its on a less than 5 second cooldown by that point with blue buff+pot.

Jax & Yasuo basically do the same thing as Fizz. Vayne, Twitch, Tristana, Kog all do very heady sustained damage and have things which help them decimate any type of champion (like %health damage+grievous wounds) which is also a thing that Fizz has.

If you consider Yasuo or Jax a hyper carry you also gotta go with Fizz, I think a distinction for hyper carrying is with 6 items how effective is the champion at killing other champions relative to other 6 item champions and Fizz just does so much damage and is very hard to kill himself.

And every hyper carry can snowball off early leads, but look at Bjergsen almost carrying TSM 10k gold down as Fizz vs LMQ for an example of a Fizz not needing to snowball to be massively effective.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 11, 2014

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I really like Jree picking up the captain enchantment here.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

If they didn't have the expansion tournament I think this would've been like 3 splits in a row with the same EU LCS teams.

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.
hypercarry is a term of art that is completely subjective in lol because pretty much no champion can 1v5.

however if you're listing hypercarries and you don't include Master Yi, you are objectively wrong

KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.
Gotta say, Dash and Zion might be my favorite desk so far. Zion may be a bit long winded but he is so articulate compared to other pros and provides some really nice insight. Dash is also very good at directing discussion. It seems almost like they actually talk about the segment before they do it rather than the Phreak-style "gently caress it lets wing it".

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Every time I see UOL Vardags on screen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH64dlgyydM

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
FNC skins!!!

http://www.surrenderat20.net/2014/09/911-pbe-update.html#more

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik
Fizz is a frail melee caster, and often has to balance between sacrificing mobility->damage/damage->mobility, where any hypercarries listed so far don't really have that mechanic. His scaling through items, since he's an ability based/AP champion, is mostly linear whereas a hypercarry scales exponentially. This is why I'd say you're really overestimating his 6 slot vs 6 slot endgame utility.

I guess everything you're saying is kind of true, Jerkface, it's just that I really don't agree with what you think hypercarries are, I don't think most would. He can "hypercarry" a won game, but Fizz has a miserable time playing from behind no matter how long the game goes.

oh god, poppy top :w00t:

Ihki fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 11, 2014

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

shushei gragas thank you rito

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
holy gently caress

Sizup
Nov 25, 2008

The poppy oh man

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Exponential sustained damage scaling is pretty much the number one reason why I still think of Yasuo as a hypercarry. That crit passive is obscene, and allows him to do absurd things even if he normally plays a lot like an assassin.

And yeah, I consider "carrying" a game is something pretty much any champion or category of champion can do. That's distinct from being a carry. This is a point where MOBA terminology just plain sucks.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Ihki posted:

Fizz is a frail melee caster, and often has to balance between sacrificing mobility->damage/damage->mobility, where any hypercarries listed so far don't really have that mechanic. His scaling through items, since he's an ability based/AP champion, is mostly linear whereas a hypercarry scales exponentially. This is why I'd say you're really overestimating his 6 slot vs 6 slot endgame utility.

I guess everything you're saying is kind of true, Jerkface, it's just that I really don't agree with what you think hypercarries are, I don't think most would. He can "hypercarry" a won game, but Fizz has a miserable time playing from behind no matter how long the game goes.

oh god, poppy top :w00t:

Jax, Trist, & Ryze also have a miserable time playing from behind. There are few champs who were very good at all stages of the game and are also hyper carries. Kog & Twitch were 2 and only Kog really is now because they nerfed a lot of the other ADCs/new supports/new meta makes him a lane bully in a lot of matchups.

I just think there are very few champions who can put out 2K magic damage that is unavoidable every 4.5 seconds in the game.

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012
it's happening

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
COME ON AND SLAM

SD87
Jun 7, 2011
ahaha phreak always fucks around when he is casting with the other dude.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Jerkface posted:

I just think there are very few champions who can put out 2K magic damage that is unavoidable every 4.5 seconds in the game.

Uh? 2k damage sounds like a lot front-loaded, and it is, but it's not actually that much DPS if we're talking 6-item carry builds.

e: Holy poo poo 2-0 Poppy.

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik
^That too.

Jerkface posted:

Jax, Trist, & Ryze also have a miserable time playing from behind.

The operative part was "no matter how long the game goes" and Jax, Trist and Ryze will have great potential for loving things up if the game goes late. For Fizz it never turns around like that, was my point, as he doesn't scale in a comparable way.

Poppy owns.

Sizup
Nov 25, 2008

I'm surprised that MIL didn't try to force the 2v1 on poppy, and wow the double lift burns out of phreak lol

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
LOL

oh jesus those doublelift burns

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
Poppy is 2/0 and winning on CS, and phreak is burning doublelift hard. Good times.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Morello posted:

Well, there are two choices; I'm OK with both to some extent;

* Rework Poppy and make her a real pick in League, balance appropriately.

* Don't rework Poppy, and never ever buff her, and nerf her if she ever sees play.

rip poppy

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
Phreak laying down some :iceburn:.

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012
UOL looking like an entirely new team.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

I wish the competitive streams had the option to mute one of the two casters.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Vizicsacsi goes from feeding on the best meta top laner to dominating on loving poppy of all things.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
I... I need to watch this from the beginning.
He....picked Poppy. How could I miss the first 15 minutes....

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Swiggity swooty, thresh is coming.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
4/0/1 poppy this is the best. :allears: Will this trigger the poppy rework?!

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
I just tuned in and apparently there's a 4-0-2 Poppy. What the gently caress

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Libertine posted:

I think I figured out which hyper carry you forgot here Libertine.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

The Mash posted:

I just tuned in and apparently there's a 4-0-2 Poppy. What the gently caress

This is literally the best pro game I have ever watched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
The Poppinator is here :getin:

• Locked thread