Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
A Dark Sun sourcebook would be super rad, especially with the 5e art style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

The butthurt is the life... and it shall be mine.

Covok posted:

What is everyone's guess for the first supplement after the PHB/DMG/MM are out? If that's already common knowledge, then does anyone know what it is?

Psionics.

Just kidding! Ha ha ha.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Covok posted:

What is everyone's guess for the first supplement after the PHB/DMG/MM are out? If that's already common knowledge, then does anyone know what it is?

I do indeed. Here is the news for them.

quote:

Adventurer's Handbook (March 17, 2015; hardcover; $39.95) -- A Dungeons & Dragons Accessory.

Create Heroic Characters to Conquer the Elements in this Accessory for the World’s Greatest Roleplaying Game

Not inherently evil, elemental power can be mastered by those with both malevolent and benign intentions. The Elemental Evil Adventurer’s Handbook provides everything that players need to build a character that is tied directly into the Elemental Evil story arc, with skills, abilities, and spells meant to augment their play experience throughout the campaign. Additionally, valuable background and story information provides greater depth and immersion.

An accessory that expands the number of options available for character creation for the Elemental Evil story arc, providing expanded backgrounds, class builds, and races meant specifically for this campaign.

Provides background and setting information critical to having the greatest chance of success.

Accessory design and development by Sasquatch Game Studio LLC.

Princes of the Apolcalypse (March 17, 2015; hardcover; $49.95) -- A Dungeons & Dragons Adventure.

Abolish an Ancient Evil Threatening Devastation in this Adventure for the World’s Greatest Roleplaying Game

Called by the Elder Elemental Eye to serve, four corrupt prophets have risen from the depths of anonymity to claim mighty weapons with direct links to the power of the elemental princes. Each of these prophets has assembled a cadre of cultists and creatures to serve them in the construction of four elemental temples of lethal design. It is up to adventurers from heroic factions such as the Emerald Enclave and the Order of the Gauntlet to discover where the true power of each prophet lay, and dismantle it before it comes boiling up to obliterate the Realms.

I quite like the extra stuff is coming in things related to adventures.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

zachol posted:

A Dark Sun sourcebook would be super rad, especially with the 5e art style.

Strength of Many posted:

Psionics.

Just kidding! Ha ha ha.

Mearls did say they were interested in bringing in Dark Sun after Psonics. Greyhawk was also mentioned as something they really wanted to bring in as well. All of those things would be pretty cool.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I wonder if people would like having books that mixed a setting and also a "mechanical" supplement thing. Like if the psionics book and the Dark Sun book were the same book, with both parts mixed together.
I mean I'm sure the answer is "no" but still.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

zachol posted:

I wonder if people would like having books that mixed a setting and also a "mechanical" supplement thing. Like if the psionics book and the Dark Sun book were the same book, with both parts mixed together.

I like the idea of setting-specific mechanics, and hate the idea of mechanics that either

a) Are available in the setting book but are flavorless enough to be included everywhere, or

b) Are flavored specifically for the setting but nevertheless get shoehorned in elsewehere.

I don't think there's a comfortable middle ground between the two, either.

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

zachol posted:

It would be a lot cleaner and concise if you didn't hide mechanics and classes people want to use behind a setting book. Also less page space. Otherwise you run the risk of setting, or mechanics, getting cut short to make room for the other.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

I like the idea of setting-specific mechanics, and hate the idea of mechanics that either

a) Are available in the setting book but are flavorless enough to be included everywhere, or

b) Are flavored specifically for the setting but nevertheless get shoehorned in elsewehere.

Where would Ebberons Artificer end up for you?

Edit:Also reposting link to nice MM art.
http://imgur.com/a/8Ba6J

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Sep 12, 2014

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Oh my god they're putting the Elder Elemental Eye into the Realms. Kill me now.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Arivia posted:

What, you're not excited that Literally Sauron is here to stay in the always really good and compelling D&D fluff?

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

You are in luck then. Because of the way I like to make my tokens for my games. (I use the official art and make a token out of the face area.) I have been pretty good about getting pictures from the artists of the art they made for the book.

I will upload Pics of all the art I got. Here is a link
http://imgur.com/wE9lFaO,JTRtaW6,MD...RQflc2k,GgByTx4]

Thanks! This is really cool. Not all of the art is amazing, but it's still all pretty loving good. Even the gelatinous cube looks stellar.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arivia posted:

I think it has shown up in the Realms before (I don't remember when or were, but I remember hearing that). But I would prefer it focused on just the Elemental Princes as they are more setting neutral then the Elder Elemental Eye.

dichloroisocyanuric posted:

Thanks! This is really cool. Not all of the art is amazing, but it's still all pretty loving good. Even the gelatinous cube looks stellar.

I just posted a better link so you a few posts ago so you can just scroll down instead of clicking them by themselves.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Sep 12, 2014

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

Kai Tave posted:

"Ugh man, Next sucks balls...buuuut it has some pretty pictures and isn't Pathfinder sooooo"
Here, let me help you all struggling with this off the horns of this tricky dilemma.
1). Don't buy, or play, D&D Next.
2). Don't buy, or play, Pathfinder.
3). Buy and play better games instead.
There, problem solved.
An alternative solution: Just steal the art and use it for another, better system.

I have been running 4e online since it came out. A great deal of the art I use for characters/tokens comes from the Paizo blog.
Tah-dahh! I'm playing the best parts of Pathfinder!!

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Thinking about Warlocks.

Give them Eldritch blast as a class feature, allow Blade Pact warlocks to cast it through their weapon and use the Invocations that boost it at the same time.

Does that help?

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

AlphaDog posted:

Strength of Many posted:

It would be a lot cleaner and concise if you didn't hide mechanics and classes people want to use behind a setting book. Also less page space. Otherwise you run the risk of setting, or mechanics, getting cut short to make room for the other.

I think part of it would be significantly cutting down on the level of setting detail. It would be more like a psionics book that happens to use a lot of Dark Sun-flavored examples, with a cap of a few chapters of fluff or something.
Like currently there's an implied setting that sort of runs underneath the splatbooks. At least with 3e, there was a lot of implied stuff with things like the orc/elf relationship, the generic fantasy setting in the DMG, stuff like that. So instead we'd get a splatbook using significantly different, possibly even directly contradictory, implied settings. The psionics book would use Dark Sun as an example of how to incorporate psionics into a setting, as well as a big discussion of the possibility of restricting magic, like with defiling.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

What, you're not excited that Literally Sauron is here to stay in the always really good and compelling D&D fluff?

Somehow I did not realize that the Elder Elemental Eye was this until you said so here.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
How would that work? Are you casting the Eldritch Blast in addition to the attack, or instead of it? Are you hitting and then shooting all your Eldritch Blasts into whoever you hit? Does that somehow cancel out the disadvantage for firing them at something within 5'? Or just using the Pact Blade in place of an Arcane Focus? How does that interact with Thirsting Blade? Do you now get to attack twice with each attack releasing a full set of Eldritch Blasts? How does Agonizing Blast and Lifedrinker interact? What about Repelling Blast or Eldritch Spear?

The Warlock in the playtest, years ago now, had Eldritch Blast as an option, still pretty sure it didn't get it automatically, but I believe it did something like 3d6 at 1st level and 4d6 at 3rd level, the playtest at that time only went to level 5 but it presumably would have gone up to 5d6 at 6th level, and so on. It was an at will invocation, one of only two at the time. Of course this was back when cantrips didn't scale and Magic Missile was a cantrip that did 1d4+1 damage, no attack roll or save.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Angrymog posted:

Thinking about Warlocks.

Give them Eldritch blast as a class feature, allow Blade Pact warlocks to cast it through their weapon and use the Invocations that boost it at the same time.

Does that help?

Well that's invocation. I doubt the 300 range invocation would work through melee and the other invocation is available for blade pact just at level 13 I think it was. You'd think they would learn from 3.5 and have glaive in the drat game along with the other options that made it viable.

I would probably reduce the dice on the weapon and add the d10 no mod. Turn the extra beams into attacks. And remove Str/Dex mod and replace with cha as an invocation?

Hmm now that I think about it is cha necessary for warlocks? I can't remember if there are good spells that are attack/save less. If so maybe just build up some invocations for a cha free blade lock. For I guess inspiration you could look up the old glaivelock guides for 3.5. It was quite a fun build.

Cerepol fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Sep 12, 2014

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think it has shown up in the Realms before (I don't remember when or were, but I remember hearing that). But I would prefer it focused on just the Elemental Princes as they are more setting neutral then the Elder Elemental Eye.

No. NO IT HASN'T. SHOO WITH THY BLASPHEMIES UPON GHAUNADAUR, KOSSUTH, AKADI, AND THEIR BRETHREN.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

Where would Ebberons Artificer end up for you?

I (really unfortunately) haven't played or run Eberron, just read the 4e book, so any comment I could make wouldn't be more than a gut feeling.

zachol posted:

I think part of it would be significantly cutting down on the level of setting detail. It would be more like a psionics book that happens to use a lot of Dark Sun-flavored examples, with a cap of a few chapters of fluff or something.

If there had to be combined setting/subsystem books, I would much prefer (for example) a Dark Sun book with a chapter at the back about adapting the psionic system to other settings.

edit: This goes way back to the first thread. This how I thought they might actually pull off modules - have cheap pamphlet/PDF mechanics-only supplements for stuff like psionics, and bundle those with the appropriate setting guides.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Sep 12, 2014

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

I've been playing with the idea of a Monk/Cleric of War build. Its one of the few I think would be viable in 5e. On paper it looks really solid. You would aim for Monk 6/Cleric 8 for your default levels and then pick which one you want to take the rest of the way to 20 -- my preference leans toward Cleric but Monk also gets a lot of ki points and I guess Tradition abilities might be useful.

What does this all add up to? Well, you put spells like Bless or Shield of Faith on yourself to shore up your values, then plow into them with two attacks base plus two unarmed strikes from Flurry of Blows with an extra 1d8 damage a turn. When your Ki pool is depleted you start expending uses of War Priest to gain more extra Bonus Action attacks. When THOSE are exhausted, you switch to Spiritual Weapon.

Does it do Champion Fighter or Barbarian or Paladin levels of damage? No. Is it better than a straight Monk for damage? Not likely. What does it bring to the table then? Synced up stats for full spellcasting AND your armor class, up to 4th level spells -- potentially up to 7th level spells which nets you spells like Resurrection, Regenerate, Plane Shift, Conjure Celestial, Fire Storm, Etherealness, True Seeing, Heal, Create Undead, Blade Barrier, and so on. You make lots of attacks of modest damage fairly consistently while still having great support spells and versatility.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I think they are trying to make us forget Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms are two different things, unless they really have officially been mashed together somewhere.

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

Cerepol posted:

Well that's invocation. I doubt the 300 range invocation would work through melee and the other invocation is available for blade pact just at level 13 I think it was. You'd think they would learn from 3.5 and have glaive in the drat game along with the other options that made it viable.

I would probably reduce the dice on the weapon and add the d10 no mod. Turn the extra beams into attacks. And remove Str/Dex mod and replace with cha as an invocation?

Hmm now that I think about it is cha necessary for warlocks? I can't remember if there are good spells that are attack/save less. If so maybe just build up some invocations for a cha free blade lock. For I guess inspiration you could look up the old glaivelock guides for 3.5. It was quite a fun build.

Change your attack/damage stat to Charisma, let them do normal weapon damage AND the invocation damage from Eldritch Blast. Rename it Eldritch Strike.

Bam, job is done. They don't do lots of multiattacks instead they heap all of their nega-lasers onto one big attack, sort of like a Paladin. Their damage is front loaded rather than over iterative attacks like Fighters.

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I think they are trying to make us forget Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms are two different things, unless they really have officially been mashed together somewhere.

To be fair, the Forgotten Realms has a long history of being interconnected to other D&D/TSR settings and poo poo. I mean, Halruaa had Spelljammer ships and iirc there were direct links into Planescape in some parts of the setting?? Its been a long time since I read up on the Realms.

Strength of Many fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Sep 12, 2014

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Just looked it up the Elder Elemental God is stated to be from Greyhawk and to be an interloper god that has tried to do poo poo in the FR a few times. Maybe the upcoming module will be a crossover.

Mearls also seems to be a big Greyhawk Fan and has stated recently that he wants to have several Greyhawk things for 5e. (Like a setting book and Novels) There has also been teasing for Ebberon, Dragonlance and Dark Sun.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Sep 12, 2014

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

I really, really wish we had cool PC races like Intellect Devourers and Skeletons instead of just Human, Halfling, Dwarf and Elf again.

It's great that Dragonborn and Tiefling made it in, even if they are in a separate ~only with DM permission~ section to appease grogs, but seriously. It's 2014.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

That was my intention yeah - that with a melee pact blade the blast would be channelled into the weapon attack, with any applicable invocations also stacking.

The 300' range one could be used with a missile pact weapon?

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I asked myself, "Hey, how goofy will glabrezu look this time around?"

And now I have the answer. The answer is, "Pretty goofy."

"Put 'em up! Put 'em up!"

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

The Crotch posted:

You have no idea how many times I've drawn and redesigned the glabrezu.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
A funny thing I find about the glabrezu is that they are supposed to be the treacherous, silver tongued, manipulator demons, while having no power to change their appearance. Despite what they look like they are apparently fairly successful. (And unlike Devils have no obligation to keep deals made.)

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Sep 12, 2014

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

There have always been connections, but literally taking one of Greyhawk's signature villains and plopping it in the Realms to the detriment of anything pre-existing and similar in the Realms is a new, and terrifying, thing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Strength of Many posted:

You have no idea how many times I've drawn and redesigned the glabrezu.

What do you generally make it look like and can you share your drawings?

Arivia posted:

There have always been connections, but literally taking one of Greyhawk's signature villains and plopping it in the Realms to the detriment of anything pre-existing and similar in the Realms is a new, and terrifying, thing.

As mentioned he has shown up in the Realms http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Tharizdun

But it was made clear that he was an interloper from Greyhawk. Hopefully when more details are released we will get a better idea of how this is going to be working.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Sep 12, 2014

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

The Crotch posted:

My favorite part is that he is wearing bracelets. I like to think he woke up that morning and decided to wear them.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

A funny thing I find about the glabrezu is that they are supposed to be the treacherous, silver tongued, manipulator demons, while having no power to change their appearance. Despite what they look like they are apparently fairly successful. (And unlike Devils have no obligation to keep deals made.)

I actually really like this. It implies that despite the fact that they're obviously completely evil, they're just that convincing. It fits in so well with "deal with the devil" type fiction. I mean, yeah he's the devil, but he swears everything will be ok and how bad could things really get?

e: D&D's devils and demons are so obviously inspired by the stuff (or at least the structure) in The Lesser Key Of Solomon that it's surprising there isn't even stupider looking ones than what we actually get.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Sep 12, 2014

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

What do you generally make it look like and can you share your drawings?

Probably more anime than anyone here cares for but have at it http://imgur.com/a/4PZ6q

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

I actually really like this. It implies that despite the fact that they're obviously completely evil, they're just that convincing. It fits in so well with "deal with the devil" type fiction. I mean, yeah he's the devil, but he swears everything will be ok and how bad could things really get?

e: D&D's devils and demons are so obviously inspired by the stuff (or at least the structure) in The Lesser Key Of Solomon that it's surprising there isn't even stupider looking ones than what we actually get.

We do have Monster based on Buer which is probably the stupidest looking.

Strength of Many posted:

Probably more anime than anyone here cares for but have at it http://imgur.com/a/4PZ6q

Not bad. Better then anything I can make.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Strength of Many posted:

a) not anime enough
b) why does the glabrezu have an enormous crotch bulge?

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

NachtSieger posted:

a) not anime enough
b) why does the glabrezu have an enormous crotch bulge?

Gotta keep it well armored against adventurers! I mean you're like 15 feet tall, where else are they gonna swing that fancy magical sword at?

The other answer is sentai shows and Bio Booster Armor Guyver. For some reason crotch plates are very prevalent, so I go with what I know.

The really long and tmi answer apparently Drow priestesses shack it up with these guys to produce Draegloth?? and their suspiciously absent, Ken-like groins bothered me I guess. I switched to having a convenient belt + loincloth get up to in later pictures to get around that whole mess.

Strength of Many fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Sep 12, 2014

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

I am reminded of playing the Temple of Elemental Evil video game. One of the bosses is a Glabrezu and he has an very calm, suave and convincing voice while at the same time he is talking about eating you.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Strength of Many posted:

Gotta keep it well armored against adventurers! I mean you're like 15 feet tall, where else are they gonna swing that fancy magical sword at?

The other answer is sentai shows and Bio Booster Armor Guyver. For some reason crotch plates are very prevalent, so I go with what I know.

The really long and tmi answer apparently Drow priestesses shack it up with these guys to produce Draegloth?? and their suspiciously absent, Ken-like groins bothered me I guess. I switched to having a convenient belt + loincloth get up to in later pictures to get around that whole mess.

I don't super mind, to be honest, I just think it's funny in a ridiculous looking way.

Also, I just assumed everyone jumped to hit huge enemies in the face/torso, or relentlessly stab at ankles.

Three words for you, though: Demonic spiked codpiece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Just a thought on the wizard nonsense for my campaign-in-planning.

What does anyone think of forcing Wizards to buy levels of prepared spells with spell slots? Probably at 2:1, so sacrificing a single, say, level 3 slot lets them prepare 6 levels of spells. It means they're still the most versatile caster, but have to balance between having access to versatility at the expense of power.