Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

NASA livery = best livery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

ickna posted:

I think it might have ended up in the spaceflight thread at one point.

And here is a big pile of them.

What in the heck is the one that's second row from the bottom on the left with the crazy wing? Does it only ever turn left?

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 11, 2014

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Solkanar512 posted:

What in the gently caress is the one that's second row from the bottom on the left with the crazy wing? Does it only ever turn left?

Nasa AD-1 Oblique Wing test article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_AD-1

Was a Burt Rutan design, because he is special.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Because Burt Rutan is a pretty good excuse for anything related to aircraft oddities.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Slo-Tek posted:

Nasa AD-1 Oblique Wing test article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_AD-1

Was a Burt Rutan design, because he is special.

The original plan for the Oblique wing test article was to be much sexier...

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

benito posted:

Check out this sexy beast. The XB-19 that first flew in 1941:

Thanks for that link. I never even knew that plane existed.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

The Locator posted:

Thanks for that link. I never even knew that plane existed.

It seems like something I should have heard of... Almost thought it was a very clever hoax article at first, but it was real. Damned thing had a wingspan almost as wide as the B-36.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Flew a V-22 around on September 11th. :911:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

benito posted:

It seems like something I should have heard of... Almost thought it was a very clever hoax article at first, but it was real. Damned thing had a wingspan almost as wide as the B-36.

I remembered a quote about it from Victory Through Airpower. Those guys wanted to build an even bigger bomber to go from Alaska to Japan.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

wdarkk posted:

I remembered a quote about it from Victory Through Airpower. Those guys wanted to build an even bigger bomber to go from Alaska to Japan.

And don't forget the pykrete carriers they would've landed and taken off from.

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

I had a flight on a Southwest 737-8 to love field today. We landed on 31R, and that approach has an amazing view of downtown from the left window.

edit: Slightly less pixelated... slightly.

Entone fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Sep 12, 2014

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Speaking of Southwest, a few weeks back I was at a facility where some painting was going on. There were non-discolosures and stuff so I didn't mention it. They flew away at 2am to ensure no attention outside.

Well, someone else went above and beyond mentioning it so here's the new livery:
http://www.dfwtower.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6546#p9893

It definitely is noticeable, but I don't think it's the good noticeable.

Also, they've been adding the modded winglets with the lower section. Alaska has them on some on -800s, too.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I keep getting banner ads for the Bombardier C-Series.

Wonder what the conversion ratio is on those.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Entone posted:

I had a flight on a Southwest 737-8 to love field today. We landed on 31R, and that approach has an amazing view of downtown from the left window.

Love seeing that giant hand painted ad below. Didn't know it was visible from a flight path.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

AzureSkys posted:

Speaking of Southwest, a few weeks back I was at a facility where some painting was going on. There were non-discolosures and stuff so I didn't mention it. They flew away at 2am to ensure no attention outside.

Well, someone else went above and beyond mentioning it so here's the new livery:

Also, they've been adding the modded winglets with the lower section. Alaska has them on some on -800s, too.

Well that's certainly... something.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Looks like two F/A 18s crashed, only one pilot found:
http://www.wjla.com/articles/2014/09/two-navy-f-18s-crash-in-pacific-ocean-search-on-for-one-missing-pilot-107037.html

quote:

Two U.S. Navy F-18 Hornets crashed in the Pacific Ocean Thursday evening.

One of two pilots was found and rescued and is receiving medical attention on the USS Carl Vinson.
The other pilot has not been located, and crews continue to search, according to a statement from the Navy.

zzuupp
Jan 2, 2012

Whoa. ? a vertical take off from the tidal basin ?

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

AzureSkys posted:

I love the oversized vertical stab on the 737s, but those renders make it look gargantuan. Not a good look.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Quality VID from the Washington Times caption department.

Wingnut Ninja fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Sep 13, 2014

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

zzuupp posted:

Just across the river at the Pentagon, overlooking the Pentagon Lagoon Yacht Basin.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

zzuupp posted:

Wrong basin. That's the *Yacht Basin*, also known as the Pentagon Lagoon. Not making GBS threads you. The exact waterline of which demarcates where Virginia ends and the smellier swamp that is DC begins. :eng101:

EDIT: Welp, beaten.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Wow, a yacht basin. I for one would not let a tail-sitting airplane near anything remotely valuable.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Fortunately there is nothing else of value on that stretch of the GW Parkway.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Looked back in the last 5 pages, didn't see it.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Wrong basin. That's the *Yacht Basin*, also known as the Pentagon Lagoon. Not making GBS threads you. The exact waterline of which demarcates where Virginia ends and the smellier swamp that is DC begins. :eng101:

EDIT: Welp, beaten.

DC wasn't actually built on a swamp.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

drgitlin posted:

Just because it wasn't one then doesn't mean it hasn't turned into one now.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

drgitlin posted:

The entirety of the Chesapeake Bay area is a swamp. Even the dry parts.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

zzuupp posted:

Well, it is a vertical takeoff and landing from that truck-towed vertical platform about 10 yards from where those bold folk are standing.

Pretty sure that black bit is a cupola for a guy to stand to help direct the aircraft down make contact with the landing hook.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 13, 2014

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

What's going on here?

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
Looks like radar measurements if I'm not mistaken.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

A Handed Missus posted:

What's going on here?

Something totally awesome by the look of it.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

A Handed Missus posted:

What's going on here?

Well it's an f-111 in nasa's anechoic chamber, which is used mostly for testing RF emissions. So something along those lines.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

A Handed Missus posted:

What's going on here?

Anyone who tries to steal the Sparkvark gets crushed to death, Indiana Jones style.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I'm not sure how much these have improved...

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Remember the scene in A New Hope where everyone is stuck in the trash compactor, and something grabs Luke?

It was an F-111.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Huh, I had a book that included pictures of a bunch of different JAL uniforms, but the one in this picture wasn't there.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Are you referring to the flight times or the beauties?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I don't believe I've ever been on a flight that had a stewardess under the age of 50. I know for a fact I've never seen one I'd want to gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nebakenezzer posted:

I would bet they haven't. San Francisco-London is still basically 12 hours in the air.