Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Marxalot posted:

I don't think the WRs are supposed to be that maintenance heavy, but someone else needs to chime in on that.

As for the DRZ, it'll handle doing 80 for hours on end if you keep it well oiled. Mine has 15k on the clock and still runs strong/doesn't burn oil.

That said, mine has the 3x3, exhaust, and 39mm FCR carb. I've never been on a stock DRZ.

There are four WR450 SuMo's in my group. Two belong to one guy (both 2012+ EFI models). One has a bad valve due to the PO, but the other three are bombproof. I rode the pre-EFI model that belonged to one guy and it was strong as hell and he really doesn't do much more maintenance than I do. I think parts just wear out a bit faster.

The extra power would be nice, but it's not enough for me to want to go and get a new bike at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Radbot posted:

Didn't the Motoventuring girls have a DRZ poo poo the bed?

Sometimes they do break down, like all mechanical devices

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Sometimes they do break down, like all mechanical devices

Yeah, thanks. I brought it up because he mentioned the DRZ can go at highway speeds all day long, and that's what the Motoventuring women suspected brought their bike down.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

You can highway cruise a Husky 610/630 or KTM 690 as long as your body lasts. They have the same ergo and plank issues as the other SMs but the 690 doesnt care if you do 55 or 80, the engine has a good rev range and gearing for it.

My least favorite thing about my DRZ was its highway gearing. Yeah, it'll do it without hurting the engine but it doesn't sound happy and it doesn't make me happy. Kinda like buzzing along at high speeds on a stock geared Ninja 250. It'll do it, but both rider and bike can feel that it doesn't really want to. The DRZ was a joy on 50 MPH roads, but 65-70 on the freeway was not a sweet spot.

You can fix that with gearing, but sacrifice what little whallop there is down low to do it.

I hope that Suzuki refreshes it someday and if they only change two things, give it FI (Figure they'll probably have to for emissions eventually) and give it a 6th gear. A better gauge would be nice too. Though the ruggedness of the stock one is nice.

End of the story is if you're buying a DRZ or smaller Supermoto for frequent freeway cruising you screwed up. They're perfect 2nd bikes, or great only bikes if you are willing to sacrifice the high speed stuff for tsunamis of fun below 40 MPH.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm astounded that the DRZ still has no EFI. Suzuki are like the GM of motorbikes. Except they don't suck.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Slavvy posted:

I'm astounded that the DRZ still has no EFI. Suzuki are like the GM of motorbikes. Except they don't suck.

Except for some very minor fixes I don't think the bike has changed at all since it was released sometime in the early 2000s.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The sm obviously has some newer technology, but yeah the engines have been the same since day 1.

On the subject of drz's, I think I have become old. I put the stock exhaust back on the drz and I rather like the super quiet stealth mode of the stocker

Slavvy posted:

All of the Japanese manufacturers are backwards in some way. They all still have carbed bikes in their lineup. Some still have drum brakes. Steel frames, etc etc etc. For the most part though the design decisions make sense, other than drum brakes, those never make sense in tyool 2014

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 13, 2014

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I put the stock exhaust back on the drz and I rather like the super quiet stealth mode of the stocker

Stock exhaust on SuMo's for life. Last thing I need is to call a bunch of attention to the dumb poo poo I'm doing in this vacantish lot over here.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
1 week away from a tour around the west on my buell. I should cross 62k miles by the time I get home. A little over a year ago I rolled 50k in the Bonneville salt flats, that was pretty cool.

What is going to break? Whoever guesses correctly gets the old broken part.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The sm obviously has some newer technology, but yeah the engines have been the same since day 1.

On the subject of drz's, I think I have become old. I put the stock exhaust back on the drz and I rather like the super quiet stealth mode of the stocker

All of the Japanese manufacturers are backwards in some way. They all still have carbed bikes in their lineup. Some still have drum brakes. Steel frames, etc etc etc. For the most part though the design decisions make sense, other than drum brakes, those never make sense in tyool 2014

Steel frames aren't worse or more primitive, just different. But you're right. I single out suzuki only because of the sheer lovely not-giving-a-fuckness of their designs; everyone else at least makes an effort to try to look presentable.

clutchpuck posted:

1 week away from a tour around the west on my buell. I should cross 62k miles by the time I get home. A little over a year ago I rolled 50k in the Bonneville salt flats, that was pretty cool.

I doubt you'd send an entire primary drive all the way to NZ :v:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'll go with the safe bet and say the belt, I don't want it, though.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Lots of bikes sell enough to warrant still making them but not enough to spend the money to do a proper update. The SV650 is still on sale in Britian because Suzuki cannot afford the money and/or time to make a faired version of the Gladius and it still sells enough to keep it on the books. The GSXR's suck up so development time and money it has kept Suzuki behind Honda and slipping behind Kawasaki.

Plus what is old tech for North America/Europe is cheap and easy enough to fix for SE Asia, Africa and Latin America so sells very well. Why make something more complicated and expensive in such price dominated market

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

clutchpuck posted:

Going with something electrical.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

I really hope it doesn't but I'll go with one of the crankshaft bearings. Do I get the whole bike if that happens?

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

clutchpuck posted:

calling rear brake. (that is what I broke last year) Or front fork seal (that is what I broke this week)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

clutchpuck posted:

Wheel bearing!

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

clutchpuck posted:

What is going to break?

Your spirit.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Ripoff posted:

Your spirit.

:vince:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Just chiming in to say that if your bike has a Fuel Cut Eliminator available you absolutely MUST put one on. I let my FZ1 go too long without it. I've been considering selling it but this changes everything. Shifts are so much smoother now and you can actually let off the throttle without the bike unsettling.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Ripoff posted:

Your spirit.

Goddamnit, I thought of that this morning, but had to run errands and forgot to post it when I came home :(

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Just chiming in to say that if your bike has a Fuel Cut Eliminator available you absolutely MUST put one on. I let my FZ1 go too long without it. I've been considering selling it but this changes everything. Shifts are so much smoother now and you can actually let off the throttle without the bike unsettling.

I sometimes wonder if the PO of my bike already installed one; I haven't cracked it open to see if there's anything different under the covers, but it doesn't seem nearly as jerky to me as would seem to be implied by how people talk about it, and I have the worst year for it too (06).

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I have a slip-on, BMC, and PC3 on mine and even with block-off plates it popped off-throttle. It also popped if you weren't really careful getting on/off the throttle when shifting. It drove me nuts and I started to question whether something was wrong with the map or if the bike was just truly that jerky.

Now it's got no more jittery character and shifts are butter smooth. You can also get on and off the throttle whenever with no lurching. Stock it was pretty terrible getting back on the throttle above 4500RPM but it's no problem now. I also zip-tied my sub-throttle plate linkage open and that made a really nice difference to the throttle feel. It used to have this resistance and really rough feel but now it's much crisper and more responsive. Power seems to come earlier and maybe a bit harder now as well.

I found the FCE off a forum for 80 bucks, I think Ivan's charges $200 new? Combining that with the PC3 I got for an 04-06 R1 (same part numbers) for like $85 or 90 bucks I'm pretty happy with it all and I can't recommend it enough if you want to really wake the bike up. The FCE is a must IMO. It's a crime that Yamaha made it so intrusive.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I forget, who's in charge of the biek wiki? I have a cunning plan...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I forget, who's in charge of the biek wiki? I have a cunning plan...

I own the hosting, everyone is in charge of the content

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 14, 2014

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Looking into why my clutch might have failed, it seems to be one of two design issues that don't impact Harleys but do Buells due to slight design differences (I guess that's why Harley never changes anything): piece of primary cover breaking off which means clutch mechanism doesn't have anything to push against, or water entering primary though clutch cable adjuster, ruining bearings and who knows what else. I think I'm dealing with the 2nd.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How difficult is it to just whip the primary cover off and see? Both of those should be easy to identify.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Have any of you guys noticed that you'll just hit random pockets of cooler/cold air while you're riding? I went out for a fairly short ride (around an hour or so) and counted 3 separate times it seemed like I hit a cold air pocket. Not associated with hills or anything, just I'd randomly feel a bit of cooler air.

All sorts of things you don't notice from a car.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I'd notice the changes in temperature if I was riding somewhere hilly on a foggy day. Generally I notice the changes in smell more.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SquadronROE posted:

Have any of you guys noticed that you'll just hit random pockets of cooler/cold air while you're riding? I went out for a fairly short ride (around an hour or so) and counted 3 separate times it seemed like I hit a cold air pocket. Not associated with hills or anything, just I'd randomly feel a bit of cooler air.

All sorts of things you don't notice from a car.

Yep, definitely. It's especially neat when you're riding along a rolling hilly road and you can feel all the cool, damp air collected in the valleys as you go in and out of them.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'd notice the changes in temperature if I was riding somewhere hilly on a foggy day. Generally I notice the changes in smell more.

Hah, yeah. My ride took me past a paper mill, that was a distinct smell.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Slavvy posted:

How difficult is it to just whip the primary cover off and see? Both of those should be easy to identify.

There's an inspection cover you can take off, everything looked fine but oil was milky, that's why I'm leaning towards bearing thing. I just hope the clutch itself and the gearbox are fine, the gearbox not just from water in the oil but also from putting it in gear with the clutch out, stalling it, a couple of times and, when I managed to get going, riding it clutchless for a couple of miles.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I own the hosting, everyone is in charge of the content

Are you okay with people leaching images (to SA) from it?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Not super ok, no. What are you planning?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

High Protein posted:

There's an inspection cover you can take off, everything looked fine but oil was milky, that's why I'm leaning towards bearing thing. I just hope the clutch itself and the gearbox are fine, the gearbox not just from water in the oil but also from putting it in gear with the clutch out, stalling it, a couple of times and, when I managed to get going, riding it clutchless for a couple of miles.

The gearbox will be fine. The clutch might or might not be ok. I'd definitely take the entire primary cover off, it looks like the inspection cover doesn't show you jack poo poo based on GIS. Either your clutch isn't actuating because of a mechanical defect, or the water contamination is so desperate that everything behind there is completely trashed. Take the cover off.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Slavvy posted:

The gearbox will be fine. The clutch might or might not be ok. I'd definitely take the entire primary cover off, it looks like the inspection cover doesn't show you jack poo poo based on GIS. Either your clutch isn't actuating because of a mechanical defect, or the water contamination is so desperate that everything behind there is completely trashed. Take the cover off.

I'd recommend buying a new gasket ahead of time, as this operation may either a) destroy the existing one, or b) reveal that it is worn out. Also, use some finesse as these bolts will undoubtedly be coated in white thread locker. I would send you a new derby cover if it matched, but Buell had to be All Different (TM) with a cover that doesn't lend itself at all to freedom-themed emblems, quotes, and over-badging.

If there is a known defect where the inside of the cover has disintegrated, you'll want to do this sooner rather than later. As a side note, modern HD clutches have a spring plate in the stack with brass rivets that eventually shear off and you may see remnants in the fluid. I don't know if Buell shared this design, or when it was corrected, if at all. I have direct experience with this one.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Are you okay with people leaching images (to SA) from it?

Use Imgur like a normal human being

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Not super ok, no. What are you planning?

Don't worry about it, was just a thought.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Slavvy posted:

It's not trivial.

I have a new clutch cable to put on before I go so the new one shouldn't be leaky for a while. Going to check the primary chain tension too, so I'll be in there looking around.

My biggest worry is blowing up my lovely Jardine pipe.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 15, 2014

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Snowdens Secret posted:

My ride to work this morning was loving weird. It was mid 70s for about 30 miles, then I take a right turn (no elevation change at all) and the temp dropped into the high 50s, where it remained for the next 15 miles. Of course I didn't have my jacket liner in today, cause it was warm.

Gonna be ~103 tomorrow when I leave for home :(

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

For a very brief period this weekend it got down to about 65-70 degrees. It's been 95+ with humidity for the last several weeks. Riding the bike felt like sex in such cool weather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

clutchpuck posted:

It's not trivial.

I have a new clutch cable to put on before I go so the new one shouldn't be leaky for a while. Going to check the primary chain tension too, so I'll be in there looking around.

My biggest worry is blowing up my lovely Jardine pipe.

I actually replaced the clutch cable a couple of months back, maybe the way I routed it resulted in more water getting in there? Supposedly it gets in through the adjuster, so I'd just pack that with grease and put a zip tie on the top.

Marv Hushman posted:

I'd recommend buying a new gasket ahead of time, as this operation may either a) destroy the existing one, or b) reveal that it is worn out. Also, use some finesse as these bolts will undoubtedly be coated in white thread locker. I would send you a new derby cover if it matched, but Buell had to be All Different (TM) with a cover that doesn't lend itself at all to freedom-themed emblems, quotes, and over-badging.

If there is a known defect where the inside of the cover has disintegrated, you'll want to do this sooner rather than later. As a side note, modern HD clutches have a spring plate in the stack with brass rivets that eventually shear off and you may see remnants in the fluid. I don't know if Buell shared this design, or when it was corrected, if at all. I have direct experience with this one.

Slavvy posted:

Thanks guys, but the bike was towed to the mechanic's, that was the most expedient at the time. I also have a backup derby cover if it's needed :) I heard about the rivets resulting in disintegrating clutches on sportsters; don't know of Buells are the same in that regard, the clutch packs too are Slightly Different. It is normal to have some fuzz on the magnetic drain plug though, so maybe that's those rivets.