Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Not Steam, but GOG is having a sale on too many games to list until Monday. Maybe there'll be some games you want that fell through the cracks in previous sales? And some games are cheaper on GOG than they were on Steam during the Summer Sale.

http://www.gog.com/games#%23sort=bestselling&price=discounted&page=1

e: Examples -- Primordia is $3, Don't Starve is $5, Witcher 2 is $3, I know people complain about Primordia never getting a Flash sale. Rise of the Triad 2013 is $3, Rayman Origins is $5, Ether One is $8.

GOG's been having a sixth birthday sale with about ~20 games going on sale per day, and for the weekend they've stuck them all back on sale and added a pile more indie games on top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

Not Steam, but GOG is having a sale on too many games to list until Monday. Maybe there'll be some games you want that fell through the cracks in previous sales? And some games are cheaper on GOG than they were on Steam during the Summer Sale.

http://www.gog.com/games#%23sort=bestselling&price=discounted&page=1

e: Examples -- Primordia is $3, Don't Starve is $5, Witcher 2 is $3, I know people complain about Primordia never getting a Flash sale. Rise of the Triad 2013 is $3, Rayman Origins is $5, Ether One is $8.

People should definitely get Primordia if a fan of adventure games. It's one of the best ever made.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I created a second Steam library on a different hard drive before I installed the free copy of Deus Ex: HR that came with my video card. Worked fine all day yesterday.

This morning after I reboot Steam prompts for my password and although it shows DX in my games list it says it's no longer installed. The additional Steam library is now gone from Steam and if I try to re-add it Steam complains that the folder's not empty. The new Steam library still has a Steamapps folder and inside Common the game folder is still there with contents.

Deleting the ClientRegistry.blob didn't do anything.

EDIT: Did the whole library re-add process again and now it's back. :psyduck:

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 14, 2014

Znae
Aug 13, 2009

Eviscerating that man on the operating table isn't that big a deal, just go back to medical school real quick and give it another shot.
I like Steam's Activity Feed. Please populate my Activity Feed with screenshots and crap.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/znae/

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Lethemonster posted:

I did get Risk of Rain in a bundle though and it's insanely fun. I had a question about single player versus multiplayer though. In local co op when we restart we keep a lot of things like power ups and money. But in single player I actually have to start from scratch each time. It seems impossible to progress on single player. What am I missing?

What do you mean by restart? Because if you mean you both die in local co-op, then when you start a new game from the first level you should be restarting with no money/items, just like single player. Its a roguelike-lite-like (or whatever) in that way. I'm actually confused as to how you would even retain money/items, unless one of you is some kind of wizard.

Single player is totally possible, it just seems really hard as balls at first because you have to learn to use your characters abilities, such as their dodge, as well as how to balance the time spent per level versus item collection. Actually I think local co-op is harder because unlike internet co-op you cant split up to find the teleporter fatser.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

play it on easy at first imo. you still unlock stuff and you won't get killed on the 2nd level constantly.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
A note of caution about Risk of Rain. If you uninstall and go to reinstall it later, it doesn't keep your progress. Which, if you're me, will lead to you uninstalling it a second time for good.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Hey guys, what are the best PS3 dualshock drivers around nowadays? The only one I really know about is MotioninJoy but I really don't want to download something that seems like 98% malware. Any ideas?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

GreatGreen posted:

Hey guys, what are the best PS3 dualshock drivers around nowadays? The only one I really know about is MotioninJoy but I really don't want to download something that seems like 98% malware. Any ideas?

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wrapper-for-DS3-and-Play-com-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

FadedReality posted:

A note of caution about Risk of Rain. If you uninstall and go to reinstall it later, it doesn't keep your progress. Which, if you're me, will lead to you uninstalling it a second time for good.

does it keep the save in the game directory or something?

e: yes it does, save.ini just copied it to my documents for safe keeping since I just unlocked the huntress recently.

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 14, 2014

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Mokinokaro posted:

General Emergency, just stick with Age of Wonders 3 (and maybe buy the expansion this week since it's only 12$.) Worlds of Magic is apparently not very good.

Even if you don't get the expansion, they're doing a great big patch for the game the day the expansion launches, like all the cooler games do these days. The AoW thread seems pretty excited about the changes coming. I think you might be able to opt into a steam beta patch already, but I haven't checked.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Drifter posted:

It's long and boring and essentially a single player MMO. It has all of the associated loooong fetchy kill 'X+1' quests and terrible boring dialog that's just expository lists, without any of the other elements that make people like MMOs.

It has faster combat than a normal third person rpg, but that's the only interesting thing about that game. if you want to play something utterly bland, go on and get it.

There's a fix for the camera somewhere online. The FOV was waaaay tight originally.

I personally hated the combat and the way it felt, it feels like the camera is completely disconnected from the player.
Also, the UI is absolutely awful.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
A reminder that Bionic Commando: Rearmed is very fun and worth your $2, http://store.steampowered.com/app/21680/, grab it before the sale is over.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Awesome, thank you.

One question, am I reading this incorrectly or do these drivers absolutely require a Bluetooth dongle? Do these drivers work if I just want to keep the controller plugged in via USB?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 14, 2014

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out

Logan 5 posted:

What do you mean by restart? Because if you mean you both die in local co-op, then when you start a new game from the first level you should be restarting with no money/items, just like single player. Its a roguelike-lite-like (or whatever) in that way. I'm actually confused as to how you would even retain money/items, unless one of you is some kind of wizard.

Single player is totally possible, it just seems really hard as balls at first because you have to learn to use your characters abilities, such as their dodge, as well as how to balance the time spent per level versus item collection. Actually I think local co-op is harder because unlike internet co-op you cant split up to find the teleporter fatser.

We'd die in co-op and select 'try again'. When the game loaded up the time counter would run from the same time at which we died and we'd have all the items and money we died with.

Ended up running round on HAHAHAHA with hundreds of things everywhere and loads of items. It was a blast.

Edit: How are GMG out of stock of a download only game. I really want Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light :(

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

medieval 2 total war is a buck in the humble store. guess I ended up lucking out by missing that other sale last week. I'll just have to pick up the expansion later.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

GreatGreen posted:

Awesome, thank you.

One question, am I reading this incorrectly or do these drivers absolutely require a Bluetooth dongle? Do these drivers work if I just want to keep the controller plugged in via USB?

Yes. I don't use bluetooth and it works fine.

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.
Medieval II at the Humble Store for $.99

If you don't have it yet and have any interest in the genre/setting, what are you waiting for? Medieval II is my all time favorite of the Total War series and while it might not have some of the later bells and whistles, it's still a solid game. You have a big map with varied factions and a massive amount of mods to spice things up.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
The issue with Medieval 2 from Humble is that it is NOT the Gold version. It is the base game only.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Znae posted:

I like Steam's Activity Feed. Please populate my Activity Feed with screenshots and crap.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/znae/

Friend invite sent! activity feed is the best

Lethemonster posted:

(Risk of Rain) We'd die in co-op and select 'try again'. When the game loaded up the time counter would run from the same time at which we died and we'd have all the items and money we died with.

Ended up running round on HAHAHAHA with hundreds of things everywhere and loads of items. It was a blast.

I wish this was an actual game mode option, instead of an unintentional bug you ran into.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Luisfe posted:

The issue with Medieval 2 from Humble is that it is NOT the Gold version. It is the base game only.

is it the kind of thing where I won't even want to play it without the expansion? otherwise the expansion goes on sale for a couple bucks so it will end up cheaper to get the base game for a dollar than the gold version for the 5 is goes for on sale.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

It's kind of weird how many hoops you have to jump through (relatively speaking) to get a DS3 to run with Windows. I suppose it's a Microsoft thing. OSX just readily accepts it as an optionally bluetooth-connected HID-compliant game device and doesn't even blink. I don't quite see why Windows doesn't do the same. :raise:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

windows will recognize it as a generic controller but I don't think that works with most games so you need to trick it into thinking it's a 360 controller

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Tippis posted:

It's kind of weird how many hoops you have to jump through (relatively speaking) to get a DS3 to run with Windows. I suppose it's a Microsoft thing. OSX just readily accepts it as an optionally bluetooth-connected HID-compliant game device and doesn't even blink. I don't quite see why Windows doesn't do the same. :raise:
It's probably that way to make you buy a 360 controller.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

Tippis posted:

Apparently it's that Sony has never released official drivers; Windows 8.1 recognises that its connected, but none of its inputs work unless you're using something like the XInput wrappers (like the Scarlet Crush drivers). It's weird, but it's just something that you have to deal with, now that there's good third-party drivers.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Awesome! posted:

is it the kind of thing where I won't even want to play it without the expansion? otherwise the expansion goes on sale for a couple bucks so it will end up cheaper to get the base game for a dollar than the gold version for the 5 is goes for on sale.

Nah, the base version is absolutely fine to play.
The expansion adds separate campaigns and there are mods that integrate some of the new content into the base game, but there's nothing essential.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Lethemonster posted:

Edit: How are GMG out of stock of a download only game. I really want Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light :(

Usually that means they ran out of codes and need to ask Valve to generate some more. This happens from time to time, and they usually restock before the sale ends.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Anyone played Starpoint Gemini 2? I'm pretty sire that Freelancer still holds the title of 'Best PC Game Ever' and this looks like it might scratch that itch without being as overwhelming as the X-series.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out

mr. nobody posted:

I wish this was an actual game mode option, instead of an unintentional bug you ran into.

I enjoy the game normally but this weird bug mode is just insanely good fun. It gets ridiculous on screen. We've been three planets in with like 5 bosses on screen and tonnes of enemies running around yelling. I wish it was a mode you could deliberately turn on.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I've been having an issue with Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, for some reason during gameplay my hdd goes crazy and starts working like crazy making a lot of noise. No other game does this, the game runs smooth and all but the noise is bothering me.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Darkrenown posted:

Even if you don't get the expansion, they're doing a great big patch for the game the day the expansion launches, like all the cooler games do these days. The AoW thread seems pretty excited about the changes coming. I think you might be able to opt into a steam beta patch already, but I haven't checked.

Yes, you can opt into the beta patch (1.4) currently and it's quite good. They've made races more distinct (to the point the humans are no longer boringly plain due to stuff like swimming assassins) as well as massively overhauled the AI and diplomacy.

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo

Lethemonster posted:

We'd die in co-op and select 'try again'. When the game loaded up the time counter would run from the same time at which we died and we'd have all the items and money we died with.

This happened to me too in Local Co-op, but not online Co-op. I think it's just a bug with how it's handled, because it's happened every single time.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Lethemonster posted:

Well that is definitely a bug then because that is not supposed to happen, but I guess lucky for you guys that it did :v: It will probably get fixed at some point, the devs are going to have an update soon with 2 new characters and a few new items. Who knows when though, its only two guys that are undergrads.

The best part of RoR is managing to get through all the hard bits to become a nigh-unstoppable demi-god of death and feel like you deserved it, which plays into its minimalist lore rather well too.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Fable Anniversary is such an odd game.

The things that really needed the help graphically ( the heroes face, the excessive bloom/oversaturation to cover up issues, children, etc ) all got fixed up, and look pretty good. However a whole bunch of stuff that I thought was fine back in the day wasn't touched, or was only briefly worked on, so it stands out like a sore thumb compared to the things that did get a better pass. Every once and awhile you'll hit an area and it'll be obvious they only did one pass on it because it was "fine" which makes it not fine at all when you compare it to your hero/the other nearby zones. It gives the game this really uneven feeling with you being ok with things 90% of the time, but then 10% of the time you'll just be confused/flabbergasted they left that in like they did.

With the new UI/new outfits, you'd think they'd have spent the effort fixing the number #1 complaint with the original, which was no way to remove scars. Instead it's now apparently easier to get a scar, as it's reduced from 1 out of every 10 hits to every hit giving you a scar. It's a bit annoying, but at least the scars don't look so terrible on the new hero model, so it doesn't bother me nearly as much as it did when I played Lost Chapters.

They are using the old cutscenes/movies for everything rather then remaking them, which means you get subtitles on cutscenes no matter what option you chose in the option menu, because they only ripped the subtitle version apparently. This also means all dreams/background videos for the skills are using the old engine, which looks pretty jarring when compared to the new stuff.

With all that said, they did change the old save system, so it now saves hero progress/world state no matter what, without a penalty. You can also choose to play the game with no resurrection phials, and they adjusted the gameplay to support it. The UI has been improved, and unlike Lost Chapters, it actually supports a gamepad out of the box, which fixes the number 1 complaint most people had with that game.

It's good enough that I'd say it's worth it when it goes on sale, I'm just confused why they didn't go just a bit further to make it an even easier sell.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
So does 1:10 hits to scar mean "every tenth hit" or "10% chance to scar per hit"? 'Cause the latter is kinda mean. Does it include the Lost Chapters content? You're right about waiting for a sale: I'm interested, but I'm not $35 interested.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

So does 1:10 hits to scar mean "every tenth hit" or "10% chance to scar per hit"? 'Cause the latter is kinda mean. Does it include the Lost Chapters content? You're right about waiting for a sale: I'm interested, but I'm not $35 interested.

In the original it was about a 10% chance to get a scar per hit. In Anniversary it seems to closer to 50% chance per hit, with the face scar always being the first one you'll get.

For example I accidentally ran into fire in the Oakvale intro, and got the face scar before I was even a teenager. From a single point of damage!

On the bright side, they included modding tools with Anniversary, and one of the first mods people are working on is a Scar Removal Potion you can buy, but I'm just really confused why it wasn't included in Anniversary proper.

And yeah, it's got all the content included in it. Jack's final form is actually completely overhauled and looks much nicer, judging by the screenshots.

e: It's the definitive version for sure, just it'll still be the definitive version in December when it goes on sale for $10-$15, and a whole bunch of QoL mods will probably be out for it by then that'll make it even better then Lost Chapters. Just trying to get people to put it on their wishlists until then, rather then panning it off because of the initial batch of screenshots came out which didn't do it justice at all. Comparing the parts in game that were barely touched to the things that were make it very obvious they did a ton of work revamping it, and the new stuff does look significantly better.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Sep 14, 2014

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Rookersh posted:

Fable stuff...

It's also got some real annoying bugs. I equipped some armor I got behind a Demon Door, and immediately started getting 2-10 second lockups with sound stuttering once I exited the door. It sounds like that issue can be cleared up by manually deleting a couple cache files (that seems temporary), or by just avoiding the specific outfits that cause that issue.

Overall, for me, by far the biggest selling point of Anniversary is it supports controllers natively. I don't have a 360, so playing in Big Picture Mode without any manual fiddling with mapping a controller somehow is great.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

What's the DLC for Remember Me about? Does it make the fighting better?

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Saoshyant posted:

What's the DLC for Remember Me about? Does it make the fighting better?
The description says it just adds a few moves, so no, it probably doesn't make it not suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It just gives you Ryu's Shoryuken and Hurricane Kick and Guile's Flash Kick, you don't need it.

• Locked thread