Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

axleblaze posted:

The lead singer if Puddle of Mudd might have the most punchable face of anyone that's ever existed.

In a world where Joe Swanburg exists this is your choice?

I gotta watch 24 Exposures tomorrow, speaking of ol' Joe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
You're Next isn't anything too special outside of Sharni Vinson and a few really, really good scenes. But since watching it, I've been a little obsessed with that song that keeps playing at the other house, Looking for the Magic by Dwight Twilley Band. It's really obnoxiously catchy. So I guess I'll always think of it as the Looking for the Magic movie.

Also, you guys The One I Love is pretty dope. I want more films to basically be extended Twilight Zone episodes with disturbing ambiguous endings. yessssss.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Literally The Worst posted:

I gotta watch 24 Exposures tomorrow, speaking of ol' Joe.

The difference is Joe Swanberg has made things that'd make you hesitate. (Also, googleing to make sure I was thinking of the right person made me realize I was thinking of Mark Duplass, but I've still seen enough of Swanberg's work to stand behind my original statement and I wish mumblecore had had more of an effect on mainstream cinema)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yeah but Joes face could be printed on heavy bags and they'd make a fortune selling them to boxing gyms.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Skwirl posted:

I wish mumblecore had had more of an effect on mainstream cinema

You're a monster, did you know that?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

SALT CURES HAM posted:

gently caress, if I didn't live on the other side of the country from everyone in CineD except like, NeuroticErotica and Rageaholic (who's still kinda far), I'd be in. :smith:

Hey now, I live in Oklahoma.

:smith:

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

I met him and talked with him a year ago. He is legit a cool dude and I seriously don't get the punchable face idea. At least, not when Benedict Cumberbatch exists.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

You're a monster, did you know that?

They're mostly romantic comedies and I'd certainly like to see more movies like Hannah Takes the Stairs or Funny Ha Ha versus Valentine's Day or 27 dresses.
Also Medicine for Melancholy and Humpday are loving amazing.

Paging Neurotic Erotica.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

SALT CURES HAM posted:

gently caress, if I didn't live on the other side of the country from everyone in CineD except like, NeuroticErotica and Rageaholic (who's still kinda far), I'd be in. :smith:

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Hey now, I live in Oklahoma.

:smith:
One of these days we're all gonna have to get together. It'll be interesting.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

One of these days we're all gonna have to get together. It'll be interesting.

Had I known further in advance that we were gonna be at the same NIN concert I would have totally been down for an impromptu goonmeet. :v:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Had I known further in advance that we were gonna be at the same NIN concert I would have totally been down for an impromptu goonmeet. :v:
Yeah, same. Were you one of the few thousand people attempting to cross that narrow footbridge over the lake to get to the free parking lot all at once after it was over? Because I was haha

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I don't want to meet any of you gross weirdos.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Fat Lou posted:

I met him and talked with him a year ago. He is legit a cool dude and I seriously don't get the punchable face idea. At least, not when Benedict Cumberbatch exists.

Cumberbatch's face isn't so much punchable as it is piteously British.

CPL593H posted:

No need to sell us all short.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CPL593H posted:

We'd all be comfortable in our shorts and you'd be bundled up like it's a frozen wasteland outside :smug:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

We'd all be comfortable in our shorts and you'd be bundled up like it's a frozen wasteland outside :smug:

I live in Massachusetts so most of the year it is a frozen wasteland.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CPL593H posted:

I live in Massachusetts so most of the year it is a frozen wasteland.
I'm jealous. Come to NOLA and see what the opposite of that feels like. You'll probably hate it. I know I do!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

HaHaHa, I live in a temperate climate, so it's rarely too hot for pants or too cold for shorts, wear what ever leg covering makes you most comfortable both in terms of temperature or personal fashion sense. There is a fairly high murder rate, housing is insanely expensive and there's the constant threat of a massive earthquake, so it might balance out in the end.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I'm jealous. Come to NOLA and see what the opposite of that feels like. You'll probably hate it. I know I do!

You're not really missing out, it's just the other side of the same lovely coin. We have to deal with snow. Snow is loving misery. The last two years in a row we had some really scary winter storms and the year before those it snowed so heavily and so often that I literally ran out of places to heap all the snow I dug out of the driveway. The loving city of Boston ran out of places to put snow that year.

gently caress snow forever.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CPL593H posted:

You're not really missing out, it's just the other side of the same lovely coin. We have to deal with snow. Snow is loving misery. The last two years in a row we had some really scary winter storms and the year before those it snowed so heavily and so often that I literally ran out of places to heap all the snow I dug out of the driveway. The loving city of Boston ran out of places to put snow that year.

gently caress snow forever.
I mean I've really enjoyed being in snow the few times I've been in it, but yeah, I don't really have any experience with having to shovel it to leave my house. The worst we've had recently was a hard freeze for a few days early this year, during which all businesses were closed and everyone was pretty much forced to stay home. But that's a rarity here. I can't remember us having another freeze that bad since I've been alive. That was the during the whole Polar Vortex thing when weird poo poo like that was happening all over the country.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I wrote a thread on Bill & Ted a few years ago. I just remember realizing that the real genius of the movies is the way it does stupid humor with intelligence. It's one of the smartest stupid movies I've ever seen.

Vincent posted:

edit: The Bill & Ted comics by Evan Dorkin are also p. good. Dope, even.
It really is a shame it got canned after 12 issues (13, technically, with the Bogus Journey adaptation, but still). It took me a while to find every issue, but it was so worth it. Oddly, Evan Dorkin claims he hadn't seen either movie when he made those comics, which baffles the gently caress out of me.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

In a world where Joe Swanburg exists this is your choice?\

Miles Teller has the most punchable face, how is this even a contest??

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

No face is as punchable as Todd Kincannon's. Just look at his face and then read things he's said and try not to buy a plane ticket to wherever he lives just to punch out all his fillings.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Its not about faces for me. It's about personality. Kayne West is pretty punchable as a human imo.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

CelticPredator posted:

Its not about faces for me. It's about personality. Kayne West is pretty punchable as a human imo.
Sometimes you get that magical combination of both, though, like Todd Kincannon. Or Tucker Carlson. Or Screech.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Kanye West has earned every bit of hubris he exhibits. His 2 most rear end in a top hat acts in public life were also him speaking 100% truth. He's my spirit animal.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Did y'all hear about the latest bit of Kanye hilarity?

Kanye West Allegedly Stops Sydney Performance Until Seated Fan Proves He's Actually In A Wheelchair

quote:

Supposedly, one person in the crowd waved their prosthetic leg in the air to explain why he was sitting.
:lol:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Okay, 2 of 3 most rear end in a top hat acts in public.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Jesus loving christ CPL just take a pic of yourself wearing American flag shorts already so we can quit running the joke into the ground.

Yeah, same. Were you one of the few thousand people attempting to cross that narrow footbridge over the lake to get to the free parking lot all at once after it was over? Because I was haha

Nah, I had to park at the mall and walk a long rear end ways because I showed up fairly late. :smith:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hence why, I hate the dude.

But I also don't listen to music all that much, so my opinion on him won't change. I do love "George Bush doesn't care about Black People". That owns.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I'm sorry, I can't look at that Kanye story any other way now that I've heard someone say it was Yeezus trying to perform a miracle.

TwistedLadder
Mar 16, 2011

The only Disney Princess with a body count... in the thousands.

CPL593H posted:

Liar.

Eric Cantor has the most punchable face I've ever seen.

Mumblecore does not need to have any further effects on mainstream cinema. Mumblecore is boring and terrible like 90% of the time. A little is okay, it's not something we need in bulk.

And if you have seen The One I Love yet, what are you waiting for? It's available VOD if it's not playing near you.

TwistedLadder fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Sep 15, 2014

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

TwistedLadder posted:

Mumblecore does not need to have any further effects on mainstream cinema. Mumblecore is boring and terrible like 90% of the time. A little is okay, it's not something we need in bulk.

:hf:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What's the consensus on the Bill and Ted cartoon? I remember that it and the Back to the Future cartoon were on around the same time. Truly a strange time to be alive.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Jack Gladney posted:

What's the consensus on the Bill and Ted cartoon? I remember that it and the Back to the Future cartoon were on around the same time. Truly a strange time to be alive.
It was on Netflix Instant for a while. Hulu has it now, but only on the website.

I'm a huge Bill & Ted-head, but I thought it sucked. I was pretty sad about it, too, since Keanu Reeves, Alex Winter, and even George Carlin all reprise their roles in the first season. (In the second season, they get replaced by the cast of the even worse short-lived live action series.) But none of the humor carried over and the historical parts consisted only of ethnic stereotypes. The animation had its moments, though. The animators would occasionally try to replicate contemporaneous artistic techniques, so the backgrounds often came out more heterogeneous than you'd expect. The cartoonist in me liked some of the character designs, even though the actual motion doesn't rise above your average early 90s DiC fare.

EDIT: Now that you put the bug in my ear, is there a non-:files: way to watch the Back to the Future cartoon? I only saw bits & pieces as a kid and I always wanted to see more of it.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Sep 15, 2014

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Slice of Life: I go back to work for the first time in a month tomorrow. I. Can't. loving. Sleep. I've tried reading. I've tried watching TV. I've tried lying down and closing my eyes. I've tried meditation. I've tried pills. At this point, if I somehow magically lost consciousness within the next 60 seconds, I'd get two hours and 54 minutes of sleep. I can't decide whether it's worth it to try or if I should just stay awake.

Right now, this poo poo is my life.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Sep 15, 2014

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

CloseFriend posted:

Slice of Life: I go back to work for the first time in a month tomorrow. I. Can't. loving. Sleep. I've tried reading. I've tried watching TV. I've tried lying down and closing my eyes. I've tried meditation. I've tried pills. At this point, if I somehow magically lost consciousness within the next 60 seconds, I'd get two hours and 54 minutes of sleep. I can't decide whether it's worth it to try or if I should just stay awake.
Tried jacking off? Not kidding, I never had insomnia as bad as you got now, but it helped me

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
At least Kanye can now say he's got something in common with Dee Snider.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
For years I thought The 'Burbs was a horror film, I mean the cover is very omnious

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

CloseFriend posted:

Go start a fight with a complete stranger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

CloseFriend posted:

So basically, you're JD in the first minute of the pilot of Scrubs?

• Locked thread