Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Great Future Bulgaria will never fall you loving Macedon shill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The new game is going to give fans the experience they always wanted, but the Total War series only hinted to: What do the gentlemen do inside the universities?

Smoke pipes, do research, get into duels. It's going to be like The Sims, but with fancy wigs.

Joking aside, I want to have customizable armies, like a full stack of loud and proud mercenary landschneckts. "This province provides silk. Units recruited here will look fabulous"

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I think a really good Total War game could be set in Europe and the Americas from 1979-1999.

Not using any actual militaries of any nation but instead with football hooligans and various street gangs

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Earwicker posted:

I think a really good Total War game could be set in Europe and the Americas from 1979-1999.

Not using any actual militaries of any nation but instead with football hooligans and various street gangs

That is the simultaneously the dumbest and the most brilliant idea I've seen in a while.

WAR DECLARED
Relations between Arsenal Fans and The Bloods have broken down to the point of open conflict!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Don Gato posted:

WAR DECLARED
Relations between Arsenal Fans and The Bloods have broken down to the point of open conflict!

Converting a football supporter group into a paramilitary group isn't really as far-fetched as you might think

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serb_Volunteer_Guard

And while that's a rather extreme case, regular supporter groups in western Europe have in fact more or less sacked cities in the 80's.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Earwicker posted:

Great Future Bulgaria will never fall you loving Macedon shill

loving NEO-BACTRIA DLC CA YOU ARE A JOKE UGH.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Guyz.

Can you explain me why the Realm Divide on S2:TW is a good game mechanic thing? Prevents the player from steamrolling the AI one at a time when his power reaches critical mass, while trading with everyone else and swimming on koku, or something?

Still on my first game here, y0.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Ligur posted:

Guyz.

Can you explain me why the Realm Divide on S2:TW is a good game mechanic thing? Prevents the player from steamrolling the AI one at a time when his power reaches critical mass, while trading with everyone else and swimming on koku, or something?

Basically right at the point when most Total War games are turning into a victory lap of checking off objectives against powerless rivals the game turns on HARD MODE and suddenly everything's real exciting again.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Voyager I posted:

Basically right at the point when most Total War games are turning into a victory lap of checking off objectives against powerless rivals the game turns on HARD MODE and suddenly everything's real exciting again.

This, basically. Every other total war just turns into a slog once you get bigger than your neighbors, because the game doesn't form alliances against you which is how that resolves in real life.

Whereas S2 has the shogun basically bust out his ultra diplomacy moves and go all final boss mode on you.

It's basically the most Anime thing ever in a total war game so I think it's entirely appropriate for a game set in Japan.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

Whereas S2 has the shogun basically bust out his ultra diplomacy moves and go all final boss mode on you.

Unless you are the shogun in which case everyone turns against you even earlier. But you do get a cool huge ship.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Ligur posted:

Guyz.

It's actually a kind of obnoxious game mechanic, but it's an attempt at solving the relatively lopsided difficulty curve of many of the previous games. In those, you generally went from fighting high-pitched battles to fighting curb-stomp battles because when you have ten provinces subsidising your murder-army and they have one or two or even three, you're going to roll over them like Lance Armstrong doing a victory lap on the sickest dope.

Shogun 2 set out to solve that problem, and arguably did so, by making the end of the game where you would usually just be victory-curb-stomping everyone a time where everyone actively hates your guts and wants you dead. But because it's just a mechanic of "suddenly, everyone hates you", it's sort of gimmicky and honestly not much fun. Either you're prepared and it doesn't get that high-pitched, or you're unprepared, and welp, where did all my money go.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I basically believe this is exactly how the Sengoku war started. The shogun sat all the daimyo down and this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSr4ZyNuzog

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Exercu posted:

But because it's just a mechanic of "suddenly, everyone hates you", it's sort of gimmicky and honestly not much fun. Either you're prepared and it doesn't get that high-pitched, or you're unprepared, and welp, where did all my money go.

Indeed, like I posted a few pages back it caught me pants down. (I made a point of NOT reading about the game before I started playing to keep things interesting.) I was actually so pants down, with every single other clan attacking me withing two turns, I reloaded a save game from earlier, made a few strong alliances, and saved a buncha cash before I triggered RD. Was much more manageable after...

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Realm Divide works a lot better in Fall of the Samurai, where it just triggers the Shogunate/Imperial civil war, and you have to pick a side so by default you get some allies that won't turn on you. Or you can say gently caress everyone else and declare your own personal republic :getin:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Realm Divide is also much easier to deal with if you make a bunch of vassals and use them as buffers, and get yourself set up with them before you trigger it.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Realm Divide was only a massive pain for me because my vassal grew into half my occupied territory and still defected. I made sure they were the last territory I wiped out for victory.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I started vassaling clans only after Realm Divide. BUFFER ME OR DIE. I even roleplayed some and gave them a hand on occasion.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Ligur posted:

I started vassaling clans only after Realm Divide. BUFFER ME OR DIE. I even roleplayed some and gave them a hand on occasion.

I tried this but the fuckers would never attack past three provinces. I was just sat there thinking "dude, every army you fight is a victory because of me, grow some balls".

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Has anyone ever successfully completed a FOTS campaign where they usurped the role of Shogun/emperor whatever instead of leading the vanguard?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I got close, but I kept losing Kyoto and Edo on alternating turns and then got bored so I never actually grabbed the last few provinces I needed.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I haven't, every time I try the endless sea battles piss me off. Watching an ironclad blow up a fleet is only fun the first 10 times.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

canyoneer posted:

Has anyone ever successfully completed a FOTS campaign where they usurped the role of Shogun/emperor whatever instead of leading the vanguard?

I recently did a Satsuma->Republic of Satsuma game, which entailed almost conquering all of Japan. It was a total slog by the end (and I noticed that vassals would turn on me the turn after being created once I had declared a Republic so I had to take all territory myself). Once I got to a certain point it was a foregone conclusion but I still had to conquer the requisite 60 provinces or whatever as well as Edo, which was some distance away (and I eventually took in a cutting-out expedition).

This was my second attempt - I tried as the Tosa but my position at Realm Divide was unsustainable, caught between the two blocks with a thin strip of territory up to Kyoto and assaulted on all sides by various fleets.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Ligur posted:

Guyz.

A couple of other people have chimed in already, but Realm Divide exists in order to alleviate the generally tedious end game of the other Total War games by providing a challenge in the form of creating a grand coalition against the player.

This has several effects. Firstly, trade income is eliminated (at least until you can get some vassals back) which reduces if not outright eliminates the generally enormous economic advantage the player has given the size disparities between the player and the AI clans. Secondly, it forces the player to defend all their territory, tying up troops and reducing the offensive size of their forces. The end result is that players are forced to defend the land they have taken or are planning to take with armies that are much closer in size and quality to what the AI clans have and so it keeps the challenge there.

The Realm Divide in Fall actually makes the game easier, because up until it triggers, clans can switch teams (and is weighed towards switching to the losing team ie. Whatever team you are not on) but once it happens the friendly clans are now friends for life. Going Republic in Fall, on the other hand, is like the original Realm Divide so you in effect get the choice between Realm Divide or not.

Like all first implementations, Realm Divide has a few issues. The first is the complete lack of feedback about what it actually is. Sure, you get popups telling you that the shogun is getting mad, but you never really get told that Realm Divide is everyone declaring war on you at once, so when it does happen it feels like you were blindsided and gamey. The fact that even vassals turn is required from a game balance perspective but isn't intuitive and the player needed to be told what was going to happen. This was evidenced when you got stomped the first time, reloaded a save from 2 turns before Realm Divide and then did fine. Just having the information is critical and the game falls woefully short in that area.

The second issue is that it is literally every clan. It would feel significantly less gamey if ever 2 or 3 minor clans joined your team and this would help with the next point.

Which is that it's a flood of agents, armies and fleets hitting your territory all at once because they all stop what they are doing to fight you. Existing wars need to come to an end naturally or at least over several turns instead on instantly to keep solid but constant pressure on the player, rather than the burst that happens now. Fleets are especially bad for this.

Tying in with the first point, the game doesn't tell you that taking Kyoto triggers Realm Divide when you do it (it briefly mentions it in the tutorial and in some mission texts). While vassals made after Realm Divide are loyal, it also fails to mention that when you take Kyoto after Realm Divide, any vassals made after Realm Divide but before taking Kyoto will now switch into Realm Divide mode and betray you.

In conclusion, Realm Divide is a struggle from poor information far more than from its actual effects and in a game as polished as Shogun 2 that really makes it stand out.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Can't imagine why they would ever want to remove region trading in diplomacy:

These are both from the first 2 turns of the game.

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013
The thing is though, region trading was in Medieval 2. It just never happened. The fix to that problem seems fairly simple to me. Factions value certain territories far more than others. Britain will find it nearly impossible to sell England, Scotland or Ireland, but would not be opposed to selling Canada. Or France would never sell Paris, but would sell off captured territories to allies.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Back to useless speculation:

What if, instead of the American Civil War, you had Total War: The West, where it starts around 1800 and you can play as US, assorted native tribes, Mexico, Britian, France, and Spain. All the gloriousness of FOTS and you get to assuage your white guilt by being nice to the Natives (and using them against Mexico).

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

DiHK posted:

Back to useless speculation:

What if, instead of the American Civil War, you had Total War: The West, where it starts around 1800 and you can play as US, assorted native tribes, Mexico, Britian, France, and Spain. All the gloriousness of FOTS and you get to assuage your white guilt by being nice to the Natives (and using them against Mexico).

Only if the natives are playable and can fight off the inevitable. Empire had the Warpath campaign which I remember being pretty fun when I played it, except for the small fact you could never autoresolve ever because of how the computer calculated victory in that case threw out every advantage the Native factions had in favor of everyone standing in a line and shooting at each other.

Personally I like it, Total War is at it's best when the campaigns are more focused. I'd also like an Empire game that went from 1776 to 1876 so I could be 'Murica and also do poo poo like the Franco-Prussian war but that's about as likely as a China-focused Total War game.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Don Gato posted:

Only if the natives are playable and can fight off the inevitable.

Weapons could be traded for, alliances with European powers, I wouldn't want the native nations to be able to industrialize but they should certainly be able to halt the western expansion.

However, I don't have to think about this very long before the idea spirals right outside of the typical Total War wheelhouse.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

So, I've just captured an undefended city, and on the next turn two full stacks roll up to retake it.
Autoresolve says I'll do fine and I don't feel like fighting it, so I hit autoresolve. I've got artillery and decent quality troops, with 3 units of Royal Marines.

Ehh, 20% losses are acceptable when outnumbered 2:1 and the fort hasn't been repaired yet, I guess.

Yeah, the 3 units of Marines have a combined kill total of 3,001, losing less than 50 men in the process. What's going on, autoresolve?
:stare::hf::wotwot:

Also, I seem to notice with the artillery mod that sometimes when on siege offense, your dudes can't kill the last few cannon or mortar crews defending the castle. Not by shooting them, not by melee, nothing. :smith:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Anyone have any recommendations for mods to use for NTW?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Randarkman posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for mods to use for NTW?

Ah NTW mods, this is quite tricky as NTW is actually made in such a way you rarely need mods unless you want to spice things up. It was that well designed yeah.

What are you looking for?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Aren't there a few that add more countries to the campaign or something? I'm guessing the Napoleon 1805-1812 European campaign is just a grand campaign staring France, or is that more of a scripted one like the previous ones where you don't get access to things like tech or taxing, etc.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I haven't played it much but the napoleon campaigns are actually quite specific, the maps are smaller and more detailed and you have to conquer your way to the other end. At least in the first one. You're free to do what you want along the way and the game sets up historical alliances and stuff to give you choices on who to beat up.

It's not a grand campaign.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

I haven't played it much but the napoleon campaigns are actually quite specific, the maps are smaller and more detailed and you have to conquer your way to the other end. At least in the first one. You're free to do what you want along the way and the game sets up historical alliances and stuff to give you choices on who to beat up.

It's not a grand campaign.

It's close enough if you choose a coalition campaign. You get the whole Europe map (as anyone but France) and can just go to town there with regular grand campaign objectives.

I struggled to remember which soldiers were mine after playing the storyline campaign as France and starting a campaign as England.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

canyoneer posted:

a coalition campaign

If anyone hasn't done it, you owe it to yourself to do at least one of these, as Russia. You start out with garbage at first, but prioritize artillery infrastructure and be rewarded with 20lb Unicorn Gun batteries. gently caress Napoleon and his 12lb brass field artillery!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

canyoneer posted:

It's close enough if you choose a coalition campaign. You get the whole Europe map (as anyone but France) and can just go to town there with regular grand campaign objectives.

I struggled to remember which soldiers were mine after playing the storyline campaign as France and starting a campaign as England.

Oh yeah the coalition campaign is like that but the napoleon campaign isn't so far as I know.

LonsomeSon posted:

If anyone hasn't done it, you owe it to yourself to do at least one of these, as Russia. You start out with garbage at first, but prioritize artillery infrastructure and be rewarded with 20lb Unicorn Gun batteries. gently caress Napoleon and his 12lb brass field artillery!

Nice to know my Russian strategy can be the same in both Men of War and Napoleon.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

OwlFancier posted:

Oh yeah the coalition campaign is like that but the napoleon campaign isn't so far as I know.

The Napoleon-specific Europe campaign is just a very slightly more scripted version of the grand campaign that the coalition factions get. It's still effectively a grand campaign.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I've still never used a gatling gun in Fall of the Samurai. I always either complete the campaign or get bored before researching the necessary techs.

I suspect I'm probably missing out on something very special.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Direct control gatling slaughter is a must do moment if you own FOTS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

Ah NTW mods, this is quite tricky as NTW is actually made in such a way you rarely need mods unless you want to spice things up. It was that well designed yeah.

What are you looking for?

Oh well in that case. I've just usually used a few mods for Total War games, so if there was anything out there that improves stuff or whatever. I played it quite a while ago, think I used a mod, but don't remember which or if it was even good. If no mods are neat or useful then that is that.