Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Mustang posted:

One cool thing I noticed in Destiny is that all of the locations you go to are real places on the Moon, Venus and Mars. The Ocean of Storms, Ishtar and Meridian Bay, respectively.

Does the backstory that you have to jump through hoops to discover explain how we terraformed Venus? You know, surface temperature hotter than Mercury, atmospheric pressure 92 times greater than Earth. The probes that have landed there didn't last long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ElwoodCuse posted:

Does the backstory that you have to jump through hoops to discover explain how we terraformed Venus? You know, surface temperature hotter than Mercury, atmospheric pressure 92 times greater than Earth. The probes that have landed there didn't last long.

magic LIGHT

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
I don't know what Destiny is like but the grandiosity of the title is funny to me. Stay tuned for Love (2016), Hope (2018), and Purpose (2020), for more of men in space armor with glowy circles on it shooting huge guns at each other

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

So The Sims 4 added a new "emotions" system to the series, where instead of just being in a good mood or a bad one like previous games, different events can add points to one of like 14 emotions, and whichever one is dominant gives your Sims new animations, new ways of interacting with other Sims or objects, etc.

If your Sim is in a confident mood, they can "pee like a champion."

LIKE A CHAMPION :911:

I think I might need to play a sims game for the first time in 10 years. :stare:

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Xoidanor posted:

I think I might need to play a sims game for the first time in 10 years. :stare:

If your sim is mad it changes to "Take an Angry Poop"

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

ElwoodCuse posted:

They don't take time to explain anything else in game, so I doubt it. Destiny really feels like it should have a built in wiki that maybe explains some things. Everyone mentions things offhand like it already been explained. Oh, I have to go to the Hellmouth on the Moon to the stop The Hive and shoot some Wizards and Knights while a Ghost talks to me about a magic Sword.

On fun things, Dead Rising 3 makes leveling incredibly easy once you step up to the super combo weapons, I made a Super Shout with essentially kills anything infront of you in a 90 degree cone for about 300 feet. As you get more kills, you get a higher multiplier, so each kill is something like 500+ pp.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Destiny kind of does - it's like Mass effect's codex. But for some bizarre reason you can only access it via companion apps/external wikis :shrug:

It's still fantasy in space (:science: LIGHT) more than sci-fi, but honestly I enjoy the balls to the wall space magic. It's a nice change from oh-er-nanites-er...

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Strategic Tea posted:

Destiny kind of does - it's like Mass effect's codex. But for some bizarre reason you can only access it via companion apps/external wikis :shrug:

It's still fantasy in space (:science: LIGHT) more than sci-fi, but honestly I enjoy the balls to the wall space magic. It's a nice change from oh-er-nanites-er...

Bring a literal space wizard is baller as gently caress.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ElwoodCuse posted:

Stick enough hydrogen into the atmosphere, and bombard Venus with a few hundred nickel-iron meteors. That gets rid of a good chunk of the atmosphere, and binds up most of the rest of it. Without the runaway greenhouse, the temperature cools down significantly - you'll probably need a solar shade to keep the temp differential between dark and light from getting too big, but there are a few ways of increasing the atmosphere's albedo that might avoid that.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Keep in mind this is far into the future, sentient robots have been built, and Mercury has been turned into a garden planet. Pretty much anything's possible. Oh yeah, and every Guardian in the game (you know, the player characters) are actually resurrected people who died - the entire Guardian roster is built from dead folks. So, you know, fantasy.

TontoCorazon posted:

Bring a literal space wizard is baller as gently caress.

Undead space wizards, technically.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Tunicate posted:

Stick enough hydrogen into the atmosphere, and bombard Venus with a few hundred nickel-iron meteors. That gets rid of a good chunk of the atmosphere, and binds up most of the rest of it. Without the runaway greenhouse, the temperature cools down significantly - you'll probably need a solar shade to keep the temp differential between dark and light from getting too big, but there are a few ways of increasing the atmosphere's albedo that might avoid that.

Also there were aliens from thousands of years before humanity started. They built most of the stuff on Venus.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The terraforming stuff is all the work of this giant godlike being called "The Traveler." It's also part of the setting that people don't know exactly how a lot of stuff happened in the past. It was lost when their civilization fell.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Also there were aliens from thousands of years before humanity started. They built most of the stuff on Venus.

Actually, I believe the number the Ghost uses is "billions." Which makes sense seeing as the Vex can literally travel through time.

muscles like this! has a new favorite as of 20:37 on Sep 15, 2014

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Strategic Tea posted:

I'm reminded of a quote from Speedball's LPs of both Civilization V and XCOM: Enemy Within:

quote:

BULLSHIT. Psychic powers do not and have never existed and there is no scientific basis for them. Larry Niven just wrote psychics into all his hard SF stories because even he wanted space wizards. Unless you can get a scientist or twelve out here to write a whole bunch of math that I can understand about which of the four fundamental forces of nature account for shooting glowy poo poo out of your head, it's loving magic and aliens are evil sorcerers.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Morpheus posted:

Undead space wizards, technically.

My dude is an undead ROBOT space wizard.

Destiny is cool.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
I found this accidentally while playing Sly Cooper on Vita, but i assume it was in the original PS2 version.
When the game is paused, you can tilt the right stick to fade the menu and rotate the camera Matrix-style.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

haveblue posted:

That's made clear pretty quickly. At the end of the game you get a choice as to what to do, with one choice being go back in time to the start of the game and shoot your past self.

Singularity Spoilers:

It's more grimdark than that.
You are given the choice to go back and kill yourself to prevent this the current stand off from happening, or kill the scientist guy and join the bad guy. Both are hosed up, as if you go back to kill yourself, the science guy just takes over the world as the new HitlerStalin. If you join the bad guy, both of you take over the world as the new HitlerStalin.

There is no way I think to get a 'good guy says world, peace' ending. Which was an excellent end to it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think in Singularity you can just stand there and do nothing and there's a 3rd ending, no?

Or am I thinking of another game?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Aphrodite posted:

I think in Singularity you can just stand there and do nothing and there's a 3rd ending, no?

Or am I thinking of another game?

I believe standing still lets the bad guy shoot you and the scientist, but I can't actually remember. I don't know if it's and ending or gameover though

happyhippy posted:

Singularity Spoilers:

There is no way I think to get a 'good guy says world, peace' ending. Which was an excellent end to it.

No, but you can shoot both of them and get an ending where you take over world.

Hel has a new favorite as of 15:58 on Sep 16, 2014

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

ImpAtom posted:

Too bad they fired the guy for no reason.

Has Marty said anything since the new broke out? Speaking of Destiny, I love the little bits of lore attached to the weapons. Generic ones give some pretty basic descriptions, but rares and legendaries tend to have some interesting and amusing text.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

quote:

After Bungie fired O'Donnell in April, and "without cause," O'Donnell says, he sued the company.

As part of the decision, the arbitrator ordered Bungie to return to O'Donnell 336,375 shares of Bungie stock as well as 48,000 shares of common stock. The value of these shares is unknown.

According to the report, Bungie's lawyers were none too pleased with O'Donnell's shares being restored, saying O'Donnell would be a "bothersome presence at board meetings and in the company." These objections, however, were overruled.

He must have really pissed in someone's cereal. Perhaps the reason he hasn't said anything concrete is to be absolutely sure it can't be used against him.

anuj
Oct 14, 2005

~anime crew~
~R.I.P. Soap-san~
I'm loving everything about Destiny (outside of my luck with drops), but one little thing that stuck out was sneaking up on a low-level Dreg who called me the Darkness. Gave it a Halo 'Demon' vibe.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

swamp waste posted:

I don't know what Destiny is like but the grandiosity of the title is funny to me. Stay tuned for Love (2016), Hope (2018), and Purpose (2020), for more of men in space armor with glowy circles on it shooting huge guns at each other

Welcome to Bungie!

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

haveblue posted:

The MMO mechanics are a little shallow and there's a noticeable lack of content in general but the shooting is rock solid so if you like that you'll be having some kind of fun at every moment.

I have no doubt it will follow the Halo precedent of being very well supported by the developers and the player base until the sequel comes out. Well made and inventive multiplayer doesn't really matter much if there's no body playing it in a couple of months.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Pocket Billiards posted:

I have no doubt it will follow the Halo precedent of being very well supported by the developers and the player base until the sequel comes out. Well made and inventive multiplayer doesn't really matter much if there's no body playing it in a couple of months.

Yes I'm also absolutely sure this is what will happen, but hopefully somewhere in the bungee offices there's a big old poster with halo 3 and reach's player numbers by month after release charted against halo 4's multiplayer figures. Something to look at and say "won't be making those mistakes".

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

So The Sims 4 added a new "emotions" system to the series, where instead of just being in a good mood or a bad one like previous games, different events can add points to one of like 14 emotions, and whichever one is dominant gives your Sims new animations, new ways of interacting with other Sims or objects, etc.

If your Sim is in a confident mood, they can "pee like a champion."

LIKE A CHAMPION :911:

I went through Orange is the New Black a little while ago and I use subtitles just so it's easier to keep track of dialogue. Laughed my rear end off at this bit:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

lenoon posted:

Yes I'm also absolutely sure this is what will happen, but hopefully somewhere in the bungee offices there's a big old poster with halo 3 and reach's player numbers by month after release charted against halo 4's multiplayer figures. Something to look at and say "won't be making those mistakes".

Do you just mean mistakes in general? Cause Bungie didn't make Halo 4.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Kimmalah posted:

Do you just mean mistakes in general? Cause Bungie didn't make Halo 4.

Yes, it would be them looking at what happens when you try to iterate on a successful formula an gently caress it up despite having a powerful brand loyalty and franchise backing you up, well aware that 343 made halo 4

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I like the circle-jerking that goes on Xenoblade.
If you fight a high-level enemy, you'll constantly miss most of the time.

Missing occasionally triggers a small qte where you sort of tell the person you'll do better next time.
I had a fight go on for two in-game days and it was nothing but compliments and screaming.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

scarycave posted:

If you fight a high-level enemy, you'll constantly miss most of the time.

Missing occasionally triggers a small qte where you sort of tell the person you'll do better next time.
I had a fight go on for two in-game days and it was nothing but compliments and screaming.

Xenoblade really needed an option to shutup everyone in the party.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

CitizenKain posted:

Xenoblade really needed an option to shutup everyone in the party.

Except for Reyn.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Junpei Hyde posted:

Except for Reyn.

That would have made it rather... Heavy Reyn. :cool:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The best menu option/setting for Xenoblade is the one on the console dashboard that ejects the game disc

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Babe Magnet posted:

The best menu option/setting for Xenoblade is the one on the console dashboard that ejects the game disc

You son of a bitch

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

scarycave posted:

I thought at first you were talking about Xenoblade fans sarcastically. Xenoblade fans are getting as bad as Dark Souls ones.

EDIT: \/ It comes up every time someone asks for an RPG/JRPG recommendation and then, like Dark Souls, the fans get spergy all over it and hijack the thread for a while.

Mokinokaro has a new favorite as of 01:09 on Sep 18, 2014

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Mokinokaro posted:

I thought at first you were talking about Xenoblade fans sarcastically. Xenoblade fans are getting as bad as Dark Souls ones.

Are they? Really haven't seen much people talk about Xenoblade before.
It's a pretty good game - especially for the Wii of all consoles, but I really don't see what there is to get obsessed over.
It's the most JRPG game ever.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

I'm pretty sure in a previous dragging things down thread I posted how I disliked just how liberal the game is with XP and I had to intentionally ignore stuff so I wouldn't over level. I'm sure no one responded with "You're just bad" about it. If I posted the same thing about Dark Souls there would be at least one guy who has to get in here to defend DS's honor.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Leal posted:

I'm pretty sure in a previous dragging things down thread I posted how I disliked just how liberal the game is with XP and I had to intentionally ignore stuff so I wouldn't over level. I'm sure no one responded with "You're just bad" about it. If I posted the same thing about Dark Souls there would be at least one guy who has to get in here to defend DS's honor.

Because that's silly, you can't overlevel in Dark Souls. :v:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Leal posted:

Well, I brought up the fact that the game is heavily padded with fairly dull fetch and "collect bear rear end" quests in one of those threads and got dogpiled on about how they're optional (when, no, you need to do at least a certain percentage of them to really proceed in the game otherwise you'll be broke and underlevelled.) Xenoblade fans are just as bad about any criticism of their darling as Dark Souls fans when both games have their flaws.

EDIT: For content, my favourite part of what I was able to play of Xenoblade (it was dragged down by the, imo, dull combat and aforementioned sidequest structure) were those colony 6 missions. I just love those kind of sidequests in RPGs where you build up a town/HQ/etc. by collecting NPCs and resources.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Tardcore posted:

Because that's silly, you can't overlevel in Dark Souls. :v:

I have been hoisted.

In FF14 there is a line an NPC says to you to the effect of "You're just gonna stare stoically and nod at me right?" And your character does just that. As the game goes on the dialogue gets a bit more self aware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Mokinokaro posted:

Well, I brought up the fact that the game is heavily padded with fairly dull fetch and "collect bear rear end" quests in one of those threads and got dogpiled on about how they're optional (when, no, you need to do at least a certain percentage of them to really proceed in the game otherwise you'll be broke and underlevelled.) Xenoblade fans are just as bad about any criticism of their darling as Dark Souls fans when both games have their flaws.

That's true. Quests are pretty much the worse thing. Leveling in this game is also super loving important too and you will most likely lose if your not grinding since there aren't really to many decent exploits for you to use aside from night-vision gems.

Quest wise though, the game is nice enough to tell you which ones you can permanently miss and in general will ignore any form of realism to make the most basic quests bearable by having the reward magically come to you once you collect/kill monster or whatever.

I managed to finish all those missable quests now (or at least the ones I've found) and its a lot better now that I can just go about at my own leisure and complete them when I feel like it.