Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Geoj posted:

Seconding this, I was kind of scratching my head at what felony charges they're going to bring against her. Yeah, she did touch/slap the guy but unless simple assault is a fifth-degree felony in Hawaii it doesn't look like she flew off the handle any more than any other road-raging rear end in a top hat.
http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/20140912_Woman_turns_self_in_to_police_after_road_rage_video_goes_viral.html?1i&mobile=true

Unauthorized entry into a motor vehicle, which is a class c in Hawaii

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

xergm posted:

According to this, ID, KS, ND, NM, MT, SC, SD, and WI do.

I knew a girl who got her license at 12 I think. I don't remember what state she was from. This was in the late 90s though.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I saw another one yesterday. A young girl pedalling along on her bike with who I assume to be a parent driving along beside her, treating me to a brake light disco and a nice weave all over the place all the way across town. I got past eventually when I was at a block without trees in the middle of the street. When they reached the block before school the car turned off to go wherever.

So they don't trust their child to ride in a straight line down nearly empty streets that are massively wide and have perfect visibility, yet they are happy to leave them before a prick of an intersection at the busiest time of day? And of course be a rolling traffic hazard along the way too.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
This rear end in a top hat right here:

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

InitialDave posted:

This rear end in a top hat right here:

That's scary as hell.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

xergm posted:

Texas allows a hardship license for someone as young as 14.

New Mexico allows an actual license (with curfews and passenger limits), not just a permit, at 15.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PT6A posted:

What the gently caress was a 15-year-old doing driving a car? I don't know of anywhere that allows people under 16 to get an actual license, and presumably the parents/co-driver should've been a little more on top of poo poo if she were on a learner's permit.

Ok, I exaggerated a bit -- she's 16 and had just gotten her license three weeks before on her 16th birthday, according to her parents. Basically still 15 IMO.

I yelled at her for a minute in shock, then took down her license and insurance information and started to put the bike back together. She kind of mumbled "uh I'm really sorry" and took off. It was only about $50 of damage (clutch lever, shifter, tweaked clip-on -- nothing critical), and later that night while I was debating whether to call the insurance company, her parents both came over and said "Kirsty (or whatever her name is, something like that) told us she had an accident today" and blah blah blah long story short the dad and I agreed on a hundred bucks, and I and told them to get on her rear end about looking where she's driving and said that hopefully this would be a big wake up call before she hurts someone for real. The money paid for the replacement parts, and nothing more serious has shown up several months and several thousand miles later.

Maybe I'm too nice, and I'm sure several people are gonna post to say "omg you should have sued and gotten her off the road forever" or whatever but I figured that it would really suck to get an insurance claim and a bunch of points on your license literal weeks after getting it. Clearly her parents gave her a talking-to and they did the right thing by coming over so I decided to let it be.

I do hope that she got SO grounded, though.

General_Failure posted:

I saw another one yesterday. A young girl pedalling along on her bike with who I assume to be a parent driving along beside her, treating me to a brake light disco and a nice weave all over the place all the way across town. I got past eventually when I was at a block without trees in the middle of the street. When they reached the block before school the car turned off to go wherever.

Ah, I've seen this before too. I'm always baffled by why they don't just get a bicycle of their own and ride alongside?? All the possible answers I can think of (they can't ride a bike, they're too stuck up to be seen on a bike, they're too lazy or fat to keep up with the kid) are goddamned shameful.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Sep 16, 2014

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

xergm posted:

Well, I'll be damned. I thought Alberta's driving age (permit at 14, license at 16) was pretty much the most permissive in North America, but I guess not. I loved it when I was 14, obviously, but now it frightens me a great deal. Mind you, as a consequence of that, I think we have one of the longest requirements for holding a learner's permit. You must have the permit for one year before you can get a restricted/probationary license (though, in practice, many people have it for the full two years, since they get it right away at 14), and you have to have that for two years before you can get a full license.

EDIT: As anyone who drives in Calgary can attest, I'm sure, it sure as gently caress hasn't helped people learn to drive better.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

PT6A posted:

Well, I'll be damned. I thought Alberta's driving age (permit at 14, license at 16) was pretty much the most permissive in North America, but I guess not. I loved it when I was 14, obviously, but now it frightens me a great deal. Mind you, as a consequence of that, I think we have one of the longest requirements for holding a learner's permit. You must have the permit for one year before you can get a restricted/probationary license (though, in practice, many people have it for the full two years, since they get it right away at 14), and you have to have that for two years before you can get a full license.

EDIT: As anyone who drives in Calgary can attest, I'm sure, it sure as gently caress hasn't helped people learn to drive better.

In AB, you can (or at least used to be able to, I haven't heard that this has stopped yet) actually get a driver licensed much earlier than 14 if you live on a farm and it's provable that the kid needs to be able to drive to help you out. It's informally agreed that you are not really supposed to let them drive anywhere important, however. Watch out for farm plates - they're not just for fancy coloured diesel.

Regarding driver quality: they are clamping down on a lot of the more agrarian rules that have been kicking around our road laws, but it takes time, especially with our grotesquely unstable legislature and the number of people tooling around on bought licenses. "Test shopping" has also been a recent concern (look at how many kids are taking their drivers' exams in Chestermere that don't live there, for instance). The GDL implementation has been their first step towards a lot of that, but it's in large parts a cash grab and hasn't impacted accident rates except to move the crashing and insurance peaks from "teenagers" to "twenty somethings."

But what else do you expect from a province where it's legal for your kids to ride in the bed of your truck but not your dog, and where the threat of mandatory public education unseated a political dynasty?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 16, 2014

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Nothing like driving down a narrow-as-gently caress,winding road only to see a pickup truck that is wider than its lane bearing down on you. With its highs on. And no matter how many times you flash yours, gently caress you, you don't need to see poo poo, you just have to jerk your wheel when you feel your tires leave the road.

This is one a road that is surrounded by wetlands so if you go off it's in the drink you go. Jesus, what is wrong with people.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

But what else do you expect from a province where it's legal for your kids to ride in the bed of your truck but not your dog, and where the threat of mandatory public education unseated a political dynasty?

Kids can hold on to the bed sides, your dog can't :rolleyes:

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

I really don't think much of that rage was directed at the driver. I feel sorry for that thing's husband though.

I take that back, I feel sorry for everyone around that crazy bitch.

http://www.rentalprotectionagency.com/case-23-3799-DIAMOND-HEAD-LEILANI-CONDOMINIUMS-THOR-WHITE-SITE-MANAGER-HONOLULU-Hawaii

InterceptorV8 fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 16, 2014

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
A while back I was with my good friend and he was driving and I looked over at the dash and saw his brights indicator was on and asked him why the hell he had his brights on. Turns out he though that the brights indicator just meant his lights were on. He had been driving for about 5 years at that point, exclusively using his brights.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Bum the Sad posted:

A while back I was with my good friend and he was driving and I looked over at the dash and saw his brights indicator was on and asked him why the hell he had his brights on. Turns out he though that the brights indicator just meant his lights were on. He had been driving for about 5 years at that point, exclusively using his brights.

He didn't stop to wonder why people were always bright-flashing him?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Bum the Sad posted:

The real question is how hard did you hit him on the back of the head?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

InterceptorV8 posted:

Yeah, I'd be in prison right now if that were my friend.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I had someone insistently flashing their rear fog on and off at me yesterday, I think they were trying to have a strop about my foglights being on.

They're not fogs, they're DRLs in the bumper. I can't turn them off anyway.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 16, 2014

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

InitialDave posted:

I had someone insistently flashing their rear fog on and off at me yesterday, I think they were trying to have a strop about my foglights being on.

They're not fogs, they're DRLs in the bumper. I can't turn them off anyway.

Whoa, a person who actually knows what rear fogs are? poo poo, that's special. The only times I see rear fogs on is when they're lasering into my skull on a dark, clear night.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Raluek posted:

Whoa, a person who actually knows what rear fogs are? poo poo, that's special. The only times I see rear fogs on is when they're lasering into my skull on a dark, clear night.
In the UK, it's more "someone knows how to turn rear fogs off?"

See: Old people.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Raluek posted:

I was that guy a few weeks ago. Sorry.

I didn't notice for like 20 miles. Because land rover. (all the buttons as well as indicator lights are conveniently hidden behind the steering wheel and I inadvertently hit the rear fogs when changing the radio volume)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Motronic posted:

I was that guy a few weeks ago. Sorry.

I didn't notice for like 20 miles. Because land rover. (all the buttons as well as indicator lights are conveniently hidden behind the steering wheel and I inadvertently hit the rear fogs when changing the radio volume)
It's hardly your fault. Why would you consider that it might actually work?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

InitialDave posted:

It's hardly your fault. Why would you consider that it might actually work?

I'm glad someone has my back.

I was amazed the binnacle radio controls were working as designed. So confusing. Was waiting to smell Lucas the whole time.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Motronic posted:

I'm glad someone has my back.

I was amazed the binnacle radio controls were working as designed. So confusing. Was waiting to smell Lucas the whole time.
:v: "I had my rear foglight switched on so people could see me through the smoke"

:confused: "What smoke?"

:v: "Give it a minute"

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

revmoo posted:

He didn't stop to wonder why people were always bright-flashing him?
Dude is constantly stoned I doubt he ever noticed.

InterceptorV8 posted:

I made sure he received a good week of verbal abuse from our circle of friends.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Bum the Sad posted:

As an auto tech, I find many cars with the high beams on during the "safety inspection" we have to do on every vehicle. I have to check them anyway, and then make sure to leave them on low beam after checking the lights. I also turn off any fog lights that have been left on, too. Mainly for my own benefit, to slightly reduce the number of people trying to blind me on my way to and from work every day.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I like the setup for the fog lights in my VW. You turn the knob to turn the lights on, then pull for the fogs. If you try turning the lights off from there, you can feel an angled ridge on the inside that pulls the knob in at the same time (like a screw) and turns off the fogs.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Bum the Sad posted:

I made sure he received a good week of verbal abuse from our circle of friends.

Humans need a cone of shame as well.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Uthor posted:

I like the setup for the fog lights in my VW. You turn the knob to turn the lights on, then pull for the fogs. If you try turning the lights off from there, you can feel an angled ridge on the inside that pulls the knob in at the same time (like a screw) and turns off the fogs.

This is what I blame rear fogs in the US on. Well that, and ignorant drivers who aren't even aware of what rear fogs are or that their direct import European/world market vehicle has them. They just twist & pull the headlight switch until it stops moving.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Geoj posted:

This is what I blame rear fogs in the US on. Well that, and ignorant drivers who aren't even aware of what rear fogs are or that their direct import European/world market vehicle has them. They just twist & pull the headlight switch until it stops moving.

I usually only see rear fogs on something that costs over $70k, so I assume the owner is running them intentionally.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
As much as idiot drivers annoy me the entitled ones piss me off even more. "I know this is wrong but gently caress everybody else."

This morning I'm in line on an on-ramp waiting to get onto the highway. Traffic is pretty heavy so it's stop and go, but everybody appears to be zipper-merging at the end of the ramp pretty well. Well this wasn't efficient enough for the bitch in the Cadillac who decided to move over and pass about a dozen cars on the shoulder to cut in front of everybody.

I don't know whether I'm the better driver because I didn't actively gently caress with another driver by moving over a few feet to block her to make her wait in line, or just an rear end because I saw her coming several cars back and let it go.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

No pictures or anything, but I saw an old woman (and I mean OLD, she didn't look a day under 80) driving onto a traffic circle that I live nearby. I turned onto it and went with the flow, she turned onto it on the inlet in front of me. Rather than joining the traffic though, she cut clean across the inside of it. I was looking outside the circle but did a doubletake when I realized that, no, there should not be a vehicle to my left in a one-lane roundabout.

Didn't have time to get plates or anything, but goddamn, turn in your license lady.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Rorac posted:

No pictures or anything, but I saw an old woman (and I mean OLD, she didn't look a day under 80) driving onto a traffic circle that I live nearby. I turned onto it and went with the flow, she turned onto it on the inlet in front of me. Rather than joining the traffic though, she cut clean across the inside of it. I was looking outside the circle but did a doubletake when I realized that, no, there should not be a vehicle to my left in a one-lane roundabout.

Didn't have time to get plates or anything, but goddamn, turn in your license lady.

She would if she could remember anything beyond 10 minutes.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
Wait a minute, maybe this is what the "bad" drivers are trying to do when they are on the road. http://vimeo.com/106226560
They're not the problem, we are because we can't figure out the timing.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Murphys Law posted:

Wait a minute, maybe this is what the "bad" drivers are trying to do when they are on the road. http://vimeo.com/106226560
They're not the problem, we are because we can't figure out the timing.

I know it's not real, but it still put me on edge.

I've watched too many Russian dashcams.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
The future of automated vehicles.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
I know what you mean. Even knowing there won't be any collisions there are still a few moments that made me cringe because they were so close.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
What ails people that they are cool with going 15-20mph UNDER the speed limit in the left lane of the highway? Its ALWAYS a loving Prius too. gently caress you, Captain Earth!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
These are the people you park in a parking lot with:

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
DUR indeed :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

iForge posted:

What ails people that they are cool with going 15-20mph UNDER the speed limit in the left lane of the highway? Its ALWAYS a loving Prius too. gently caress you, Captain Earth!

I just can't relate to these people.