Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Libertine posted:

Like what they said in Video 3, the top Korean teams play the game 14-16 hours a day and only break for food and sleep. I don't think any Western teams have that level of dedication and that's the only reason they are behind. It has nothing to do with heritage, or culture, or race, or organizations. It's entirely the insanely focused dedication & discipline towards improving.

To be fair, organization does play a huge role, I'd say much more than the amount of time they practice. CJ Entus Frost and Blaze didn't practice any less than the Samsung or SKT teams (that's a big reason why CloudTemplar retired, because he practiced as much as Bengi and was still poo poo-tier compared to him), but Moscow Five and CLG.eu were still able to challenge or beat them.

Meanwhile look at how many Western teams only started getting coaches and analysts in Season 4, despite the Koreans having them in Season 2, and how much obviously better Western teams have started playing compared to how they played in Season 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!
Working 80+ hours per week at anything is dumb and will burn you out. You're not getting that much *good* focused practice anyway. Maybe if you're on speed, but then see point one again.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

You're probably pushing any real gain at about 10 hours. With a cursory Google search, Michael Phelps spends about 6 hours a day training to be in the Olympics. 16 hours a day sounds like a good way to kill your eyes and give you bad arthritis.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
you dont play for all of those hours, many of them are spent discussing the game.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

you dont play for all of those hours, many of them are spent discussing the game.

Yep. Watching replays, talking about picks, etc. Probably takes at least as much time as actually scrimming and soloqueue.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

iSurrender posted:

Working 80+ hours per week at anything is dumb and will burn you out. You're not getting that much *good* focused practice anyway. Maybe if you're on speed, but then see point one again.

I'd be shocked if most top pro gamers weren't on something like piracetam, honestly.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

iSurrender posted:

I can respect that, and I certainly don't work 80 hours a week, nor would I want to play League of Legends for 80 hours a week for a year or more. But if you want to win the million dollar League of Legends tournament, you basically have to practice more than anyone else in the world, and the upper ceiling on that level of practice is "hours a human being can be awake and playing League of Legends" because there will be human beings that play to that level and those are your competition. If you don't play that much, you might as well not even compete against them. That's more or less what the guys they interviewed from Taipei Assassins said in the video about Korean professionals, and this is why most analysts are predicting Korean teams to finish #1, #2, and #3 at the World Championships.

The burnout from playing at this level is why they say the best teams can't stay on the top for more than a split or two, because it is obviously extraordinarily taxing. But there will always be a few teams playing at this level at any given time.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

iSurrender posted:

It's probably like Japan where people work 16 hours a day but are horribly unproductive during those hours.

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

Hypocrisy posted:

It's probably like Japan where people work 16 hours a day but are horribly unproductive during those hours.

Yeah, that would explain why the Korean training regimen isn't working very well in the world of professional [a game they have a scene for]. They're unproductive and ineffective is what!

Sorry, I've just seen these same claims in a different thread, applied to a different situation with not much applicable proof. In this situation Koreans have no serious competition and we're talking about whether their training is productive. There are some obvious downsides to insane work hours, but how many of those apply to playing and studying video games isn't very easy to answer.

Ihki fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 15, 2014

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Ihki posted:

Yeah, that would explain why the Korean training regimen isn't working very well in the world of professional [a game they have a scene for]. They're unproductive and ineffective is what!

Sorry, I've just seen these same claims in a different thread, applied to a different situation with not much applicable proof. In this situation Koreans have no serious competition and we're talking about whether their training is productive.

Calm down man, I just mean that they might have all these hours of practice on the books but a good portion of it is probably more easy going.

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

Hypocrisy posted:

Calm down man, I just mean that they might have all these hours of practice on the books but a good portion of it is probably more easy going.

That's the point though, it really isn't. No portion of it is even remotely humane.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
I really think it's the infrastructure and the strong coaching/discipline that's more important than whatever hours of training, honestly. It feels like anyone could just practice that much if they had the time, and there are probably people who do in other scenes - but you need a direction and things like quality scrim partners, focused training, and support staff to make it bear fruit.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
Isn't it just the collective sum of a scene that has existed for a decade longer than the western scenes, coaches and analysts with actual experience getting paid actual money, well developed organisations, huge sponsors and what appears to be a greater drive to win.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
It's probably because of inscrutible eastern secrets, but with the post Korean War infusion of democracy and consumerism, which is why Chinese teams aren't quite as good (they only have Occidental philosophy and not democracy.)

fnox
May 19, 2013

Violently Car posted:

I'd be shocked if most top pro gamers weren't on something like piracetam, honestly.

There were people actively advocating for doping controls on Worlds because apparently people do indeed take drugs to focus and to be able to play longer without growing tired.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

fnox posted:

There were people actively advocating for doping controls on Worlds because apparently people do indeed take drugs to focus and to be able to play longer without growing tired.

This was definitely really prevalent in Halo/other FPSes. No idea how common it is in League.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Previous Jesus posted:

This was definitely really prevalent in Halo/other FPSes. No idea how common it is in League.

People'll take drugs to get an edge in almost anything, given how prevalent it was in FPS competition where there wasn't really a lot on the line compared to League it's got to be pretty prevalent. It's also a pretty popular rumor but I'm not aware of any really direct proof. I knew people who used Adderal to get an edge in competitive TF2 back in the day and they stood to win as much as several hundred dollars. Can't imagine what people'd do if their career and potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars were on the line.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
if you don't have a prescription for amphetamines just so you can be better at league it doesn't sound like you really want to win

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
south korea is better at esports due to their superior healthcare system imo

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

south korea is better at esports due to their superior healthcare system imo

And internet.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

M. Night Skymall posted:

People'll take drugs to get an edge in almost anything, given how prevalent it was in FPS competition where there wasn't really a lot on the line compared to League it's got to be pretty prevalent. It's also a pretty popular rumor but I'm not aware of any really direct proof. I knew people who used Adderal to get an edge in competitive TF2 back in the day and they stood to win as much as several hundred dollars. Can't imagine what people'd do if their career and potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars were on the line.

I figured there was a chance Riot was already doing drug tests. Though I guess they don't actually employ the players, their organizations do. The stakes are higher in League but there's also a greater ability to prevent it.

Someone actually asked Scarra if he took adderall on his stream the other day and he said he didn't and none of his team's players do, but he has no idea about anyone else. He sounded pretty sincere.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

So English casted VODs of OGN are only available on Twitch? Which happens to be one of few platforms yet to support Chromecasting. Great.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

ilifinicus posted:

So English casted VODs of OGN are only available on Twitch? Which happens to be one of few platforms yet to support Chromecasting. Great.

You can use Chrome and the Google Cast extension and just send whatever is in your browser window to your Chromecast.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

ilifinicus posted:

They're paywalled anyway. Best hope is finding one of the youtube mirror accounts before they get taken down.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Machinima is streaming all the Chasing the Cup episodes followed by the final episode at 9pm est and q&a with doublelift and meteos

http://www.twitch.tv/machinima

KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.
Man if I was a coach I would definitely put my entire team on beta blockers at the least.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Put them on coke, they're only good for a few seasons anyways.

Jayisspecial
Sep 16, 2006

Therock Obama

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Machinima is streaming all the Chasing the Cup episodes followed by the final episode at 9pm est and q&a with doublelift and meteos

http://www.twitch.tv/machinima

Most interesting bit was Susie saying the Samsung teams will provide two games against each Samsung team and if they aren't impressed they don't scrim you anymore. I imagine none of the western teams are actually getting to scrim against them at this point.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

At this point I just want a wildcard team to come in and make a clean sweap. The Korean tears would be majestic.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Invalid Validation posted:

At this point I just want a wildcard team to come in and make a clean sweap. The Korean tears would be majestic.
That's probably what would drive Koreans into not giving up a single death in Season 5 World's and that's when the end of League of Legends begins.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Libertine posted:

You can use Chrome and the Google Cast extension and just send whatever is in your browser window to your Chromecast.
Yeah uh I don't sit near my computer while I Chromecast, this is the whole purpose of it, being able to send poo poo to my TV using my tablet or phone. I always watch tournaments using the Youtube stream like this.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HKSY-w1h6Q

:thumbsup:

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Haha Riot made an OGN hype video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJf1l4MssR0

Real talk it's pretty good though.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Speaking of OGN, Flame is now streaming on Azubu. I saw him laugh earlier, he might not be a robot after all.

http://www.azubu.tv/flame

KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.

Sexpansion posted:

Haha Riot made an OGN hype video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJf1l4MssR0

Real talk it's pretty good though.

Not nearly enough anime or wings or anime wings.

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer

KicksYouInHalf posted:

Not nearly enough anime or wings or anime wings.
I'm assuming we will also get our anime video later. You can't have too many hilarious hype videos :colbert:

Routah
Feb 6, 2012
http://i.imgur.com/aEpCBLW.jpg

In the picture we have SK Svenskeren as Taipeichingchong being a cool cat. :bravo:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Rito gave us a whole day and 15 hours to fill out our Fantasy stuff for World's. God bless.

http://pickem.na.lolesports.com/en-US

Too bad it isn't full Fantasy League, I'd love to pick individual players and teams for points in the group stages.

My picks for Group Stages

Group A: All this comes down to is which random team you want in 3rd/4th. I like Dark Passage's icon the best. It's too bad they got the group of death. RIP.

Group B: Fairly standard. I'm going bold and saying that TPA ends up beating Royal Club for the big upset. There's so much drama in Royal Club right now, with the three Korean players, and having all that drama + losing their ADC doesn't sound like any good for them. TSM comes out strongest based on momentum, I can see them taking first over SK and TPA. SK is a good strategic team, but that might only work in EU where games are really slow and people avoid big team fights. I think TSM and TPA's willingness to fight at all times is going to overtake them.

Group C: Samsung Blue is the obvious first place. Second could go to anyone in that group, it looks like the most competitive group.

Group D: It's Naijin Shield and either Cloud9 or Alliance depending on which team you fanboy over more. I'm picking Alliance, although I'd say Alliance/Cloud 9 have fairly equal strategics and team fighting ability, I just think that there's better players on Alliance than there are Cloud 9 right now. Unless they stop starving Balls and let him go back to his super carry top champions, I don't see C9 doing well against Alliance.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 16, 2014

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Flameingblack posted:

Rito gave us a whole day and 15 hours to fill out our Fantasy stuff for World's. God bless.

http://pickem.na.lolesports.com/en-US

Too bad it isn't full Fantasy League, I'd love to pick individual players and teams for points in the group stages.

http://pickem.lolesports.com/en-US#series/1/user/205/my-picks

I have no idea what's going on with Group B so I'm taking the flyer on TPA being good again. The other groups are pretty easy to call, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Tried to be a little bold in my predictions: http://pickem.lolesports.com/en-US#series/1/user/1639/my-picks

• Locked thread