Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

They pushed the film back a year in the middle of a huge advertising push, which seems unfathomable.

Didn't they do the same thing with that GI Joe sequel a couple years ago?

I remember it was retooled to add more The Rock but I don't remember the push being particularly big. I mean this thing was like a month out and someone just happened to notice it looked like poo poo.

It was at least 6 months or so I think. Like it was at the point where they had commercials with a release date, and then the commercials stopped coming on because it wasn't coming out on that date anymore.

edit: thanks Wikipedia!

Wikipedia posted:

Originally slated for release in June 2012, the film was delayed in order to convert the movie to 3D and boost interest in international markets. It was released in North America on March 28, 2013, and received generally negative reviews,[11] but was a box office success, grossing over $375 million worldwide.

raditts fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I Know What You Did Last Summer is getting a remake. What's really shocking here is it remaining a film instead of getting turned into a tv series like every other horror franchise at the moment.

http://deadline.com/2014/09/i-know-what-you-did-last-summer-remake-horror-movie-sony-834570/

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I think The Seventh Son is the victim of Legendary ending its partnership with WB. It was originally a WB release but then Legendary got the rights to it after the split.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Tars Tarkas posted:

I Know What You Did Last Summer is getting a remake. What's really shocking here is it remaining a film instead of getting turned into a tv series like every other horror franchise at the moment.

http://deadline.com/2014/09/i-know-what-you-did-last-summer-remake-horror-movie-sony-834570/

Who asked for this? I want to meet whoever managed to sell a remake of a movie that only even existed originally to ride the teen-slasher wave from another, better movie in the '90s, because that person could probably sell fire in hell.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

GI Joe was kind of funny for just how obvious the inserted scene was. It was Channing and the Rock just sitting around a house set playing games and had no costumes or any other characters from the rest of the movie.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

Cloud Atlas lost money if you take marketing costs into account.

Speed Racer was a bomb, too.

Cloud Atlas was an adaptation of a book though.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_Atlas_(novel)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wasn't Cloud Atlas pretty much independently funded and just distributed by a big studio?

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

IUG posted:

Cloud Atlas was an adaptation of a book though.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_Atlas_(novel)

I don't mean original properties (since Speed Racer is also an adaptation). Just that they've made movies that lost money more than once.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

muscles like this? posted:

Wasn't Cloud Atlas pretty much independently funded and just distributed by a big studio?

Cloud Atlas was co-financed by a german company.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

raditts posted:

Who asked for this? I want to meet whoever managed to sell a remake of a movie that only even existed originally to ride the teen-slasher wave from another, better movie in the '90s, because that person could probably sell fire in hell.

Well apparently the drink Surge is coming back so between that and this it looks like the 90s is just gonna vomit everywhere and make us pay for it and pay attention to it again. And that means movie remakes and I could see some horror movies getting remade.

Which could be good or bad. I'd like to see something like a Wishmaster remake or an updated remake of Candyman. God knows we could still do with a movie where the bad guy is a victim of prejudice and warped by it in this day and age.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Trump posted:

Bless their German hearts.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

marktheando posted:

It is weird to me that the Wachowskis of all people can get a big expensive movie not based on a pre-existing IP greenlit when so many other directors can't.

Having your former agent be head of production at a major studio usually tends to help.

Of course now Robinov is gone, so it explains why WB wants them to go back to the Matrix well again. That, and maybe their Netflix series is a "hit" (in whatever vague terms a Netflix series can be one)?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
We're gonna get a lot of 90s nostalgia-bait since we're done with the 80s

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hat Thoughts posted:

It's frightening that it hasn't even kicked into gear yet.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
When's that Independence Day sequel due?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Sam Jackson for President in a movie version of Metal Wolf Chaos

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Yeah, but fortunately execs seem to be ignoring that and (at least up until very recently) dickriding them because of how much of a success The Matrix was.

There is no way that you are clever enough to make a joke this subtle intentionally.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Trump posted:

Uwe Boll?!

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

I'd love to see what Uwe Boll would do with $100 million.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Embezzle most of it, probably.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Slate Action posted:

I'd love to see what Uwe Boll would do with $100 million.

Make one million bad movies?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

mind the walrus posted:

Embezzle most of it, probably.

This is what would actually happen, but what if it was like a Brewster's Millions scenario and he was forced to use all of the money to make one movie. :allears:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
But the Dungeons and Dragons movie already exists.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Slate Action posted:

This is what would actually happen, but what if it was like a Brewster's Millions scenario and he was forced to use all of the money to make one movie. :allears:

He'd use the entire budget to hire prostitutes as actors.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IShallRiseAgain posted:

He'd use the entire budget to hire prostitutes as actors.

(Again)

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Looks like Damon and Greengrass are doing another Bourne movie, in addition to the other Not-Bourne Bourne movie with Lin and Renner.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's frightening that it hasn't even kicked into gear yet.

You say this now but imagine what it's like when we get 9/11-era nostalgia. That's where the real nightmares lay.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

mind the walrus posted:

You say this now but imagine what it's like when we get 9/11-era nostalgia. That's where the real nightmares lay.

Who's ready for the nu-metal revival of 2020?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

mind the walrus posted:

You get that every year if you turn on the TV on September 11. Never forget, indeed.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I hope you're all ready to hear ska on the radio again.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Hat Thoughts posted:

Don't even joke about that.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Hat Thoughts posted:

I can't wait for the utterly bizarre ska covers of awesome older songs, but time-shifted to be appropriate. Ska Britney Spears? Ska Wide Mouth Mason?

Eventually, it will turn back on itself in an ouroboros of ska and bands will be ska-ifying ska songs.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mind the walrus posted:

You mean My Chemical Romance?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I can't wait until Harvey Danger finally has a hit comeback single with their own cover of "Flagpole Sitta."

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Vargo posted:

There is no way that you are clever enough to make a joke this subtle intentionally.

Yeah, that was completely unintentional, I wasn't even thinking along those lines.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I can't wait for the utterly bizarre ska covers of awesome older songs, but time-shifted to be appropriate. Ska Britney Spears? Ska Wide Mouth Mason?

Eventually, it will turn back on itself in an ouroboros of ska and bands will be ska-ifying ska songs.

So the herald of the newborn music apocalypse will be Neil Cicierega?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

morestuff posted:

Looks like Damon and Greengrass are doing another Bourne movie, in addition to the other Not-Bourne Bourne movie with Lin and Renner.
If this pans out, it'll be my first guaranteed there-on-opening-night movie in several years. :toot:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hat Thoughts posted:

We're getting a Dumb & Dumber sequel.

mind the walrus posted:

We're getting a Zoolander sequel.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I pray to god Starbucks puts out a promotional orange mocha frappucino for the film. I always wanted one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

greatn posted:

I pray to god Starbucks puts out a promotional orange mocha frappucino for the film. I always wanted one.

So go into a starbucks and ask for one? They have orange flavor shots (Valencia) and they make mocha frppuchinos year round. Boom. Done.

• Locked thread