Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

kastein posted:

Related: my ex from five years ago contacted me again a while ago. I've been afraid of the whole insanity thing she had going and not really responding to her since, but hell after how the last two have ended, gently caress it, let's see where this goes. Hopefully averages out a bit since the last went straight to stage 10 clinger and scared the poo poo out of me, which is both unusual and hard to do :v:

I realize the horrible irony of me giving you relationship advice, but getting back together with an ex is almost never a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

kastein posted:

^ my mom is a rower. Explain yourself sir :colbert:

I have zero idea about what rowing is like in the USA, but here the reality is that it is pretty much an exclusive activity for private schools and privledged twats. Share the water with anyone else OTHER than rowers? No problem! Rowers? GET THE gently caress OUT WE'RE HERE FIRST gently caress YOU LOWER CLASS SCUM. Frankly I have never been near the water with such a bunch of utter shits. And Lord help you if they are blocking a bike path near their precious rowing areas and you politely ask for room. These people are exactly the kind that think they are better than everyone else because they come from the right scholl and have a bigger bank account. That kind of thing really pisses me off

I'll make this crystal clear - I have zero idea what rowers are like in the USA. I dont know what social class they come from or whom they are or what they are. My comments are strictly about Australia - and believe me, rowing is just chock full of assholes here.

Kyacking and canoes? Hey, that's also different. I know a few (and competed in river races yeeeeeaaaaars ago, hell still got the one I built) - raw meat eaters but eh, usually good people.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

goatse guy posted:

I realize the horrible irony of me giving you relationship advice, but getting back together with an ex is almost never a good idea.

Truth. I dated a crazy person. Broke it off, then went back to it. It was way worse.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
In defense of crazy i still cant lift my arms over shoulder height from the going away sex

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

In defense of crazy i still cant lift my arms over shoulder height from the going away sex

Seriously, crazy makes for some absolutely amazing experiences in bed.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

goatse guy posted:

Hey, always listen to experience I say.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I know someone posted this before but....

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
13", these positions seriously suck. My youngest sis just came back from a clinic after a 7 month stint for getting into some real lovely drugs, and here we are a few months later and she's no longer sober.

It just loving sucks being on the sidelines, your cheers can only help so much. I hope for her sake and yours that she gets help and that at least some of it sticks!

Kastein, I hate how the universe works. I've never had any luck with exes. I'll leave it at that.

Sometimes I feel I should just stick to cars. At least then pretty much everything boils down to "operator error."

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Truth. I dated a crazy person. Broke it off, then went back to it. It was way worse.

They don't even have to be crazy; even getting back together with a non-crazy ex is a bad idea. I mean, if you (or they) saw fit to break it off the first time, chances are pretty good that reason that ended your relationship still exists.

Also, 13" that is a really awful thing to have to deal with. I had a friend struggle with eating disorders for a long time, and I know this isn't the best time to say this, but this treatment is only one step on what could be a journey of many thousands of metaphorical miles for her. That sounds pretty daunting, but it can be overcome with a lot of effort and a lot of support from friends and family...I wish you both the very best of luck with this!

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Cat Terrist posted:

....what rowing is like in the USA...

I went to a private school in the US and yes, they are a bunch of alpha male type assholes here too. For some reason their parents typically adorned them with names like Wyatt and Chet and poo poo like that. But here's the kicker, they're usually the fuckers playing the my mommy and my daddy game and are the lower people on the totem pole so to speak so they try to make up for it by beating on their often sunken in chests until they get canned a few times and figure out the natural order of things.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I just used just for men facial hair coloring and now after reading all the bad stuff about it I think I'm about to die. I'm not going to die, am i ? Because now I'm scared to go to sleep because my wife sleeps like the dead and won't hear me wheezing and gasping for air.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Tide posted:

I just used just for men facial hair coloring and now after reading all the bad stuff about it I think I'm about to die. I'm not going to die, am i ? Because now I'm scared to go to sleep because my wife sleeps like the dead and won't hear me wheezing and gasping for air.

You'd be shocked. My wife can sleep through almost anything, but my sleep apnea will wake her up instantly. Should probably get that checked.

Also yes you're going to die.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Ever feel like something is missing in your automotive adventures? Been feeling a little e/n lately thinking its time to buy a new project thinking that will fill the void.

But I think its time to buy tools. First on the list: mig welder. Then maybe this winter it will be time to finally purchase the biggest 110v portable compressor I can afford. Plus I can use the tools on future projects! Maybe a tig but it seems like the best machines are 220 and that's just not going to happen right now.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

nm posted:

Hey, always listen to experience I say.

Hey, move back to Minneapolis so I can ask you on a hot date next month and we can talk about the finer points of Mazda2 ownership. Thanks in advance.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
First point pf Mazda ownership: Don't operate in salt states.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Bit of fog on the roads today.
Time to activate SAFETY BEAMS!

I think the logic is that you don't have to worry about things appearing in the fog if you are already totally blinded.

piss boner
May 17, 2003

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

I won't see her again for months.

Holy poo poo dude, so sorry to hear that. :sympathy:

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
drat 13", that's an awful situation, but it's good you're there for her. Hopefully this will get her on the road to recovery and y'all can move forward.

Alright, day 1 of trying to work through my anger and depression issues in the gym, as recommended by my therapist. Hopefully this will help me be less of a mopey sad-sack during the day.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

bandman posted:

Alright, day 1 of trying to work through my anger and depression issues in the gym, as recommended by my therapist. Hopefully this will help me be less of a mopey sad-sack during the day.

Endorphins are your friends.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, that "pump" bodybuilders are always talking about? It's not just physical.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
Yep, it works. Ran 3 miles, feel a ton better. Just gotta keep it up and hope the weather dries out, because I got all sweaty again on the walk from the gym to my office. It isn't warm or anything (like 68F or so) but it is still humid as hell here in Atlanta.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

http://youtu.be/I5Zk2vUmjpk

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

First they came for your R12, now they're coming for your R134a.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...95f0_story.html

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

meatpimp posted:

We'll just have to use the most fake-sounding chemical ever, HFO-1234yf.

quote:

Although the product is classified slightly flammable by ASHRAE, several years of testing by SAE proved that the product could not be ignited under conditions normally experienced by a vehicle. In addition several independent authorities evaluated the safety of the product in vehicles and some of them concluded that it was as safe to use as R-134a, the product in use in cars today. In the atmosphere, HFO-1234yf degrades to trifluoroacetic acid, which is a mildly phytotoxic strong organic acid with no known degradation mechanism in water. In case of fire it releases highly corrosive and toxic hydrogen fluoride.

In December 2012, it was reported that tests by Mercedes-Benz showed that the substance ignited when researchers sprayed it and A/C compressor oil onto a car's hot engine. Stefan Geyer, a senior Daimler engineer who ran the tests, stated "We were frozen in shock, I am not going to deny it. We needed a day to comprehend what we had just seen." Combustion occurred in more than two thirds of simulated head-on collisions. The engineers also noticed etching on the windshield caused by the corrosive gases. BMW, and VW-Audi agreed with Mercedes and left the SAE R-1234yf CRP Team, stating that the performed tests are not sufficient to fully judge the safety of their vehicles. The German Automakers have been leaning towards carbon dioxide refrigerant which is safer for both passengers and the environment.

Yeah, that sounds safe.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

meatpimp posted:

Kastein and I certainly aren't helping the situation every time we go to the junkyard.

*green geyser shooting into the air*

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Hahaha, great news day. Apple's iphone 6 has NFC, great! Even though it's something that many Android phones have had for years. Down side? Apple has NFC locked down so you can only use it for Apple Pay. :bravo:

http://www.cultofmac.com/296093/apple-confirms-iphone-6-nfc-apple-pay/

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

meatpimp posted:

1234yf is courtesy of both Dupont and Honeywell this time as opposed to just Dupont like usual. I remember in the 80's my dad saying,"Oh fun a new product that is environmentally friendly and in 20-30 years we'll be using something different because of the environment again and think of the children." Welp, here it is. I'm just gonna call it now and say in 20-30 years we'll be using something new with yet another Dupont patent because 1234yf is going to be found environmentally unfriendly as well because of some other type of gasses that will have found their way into another bullshit study in the future that doesn't exist now.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

meatpimp posted:

Hahaha, great news day. Apple's iphone 6 has NFC, great! Even though it's something that many Android phones have had for years. Down side? Apple has NFC locked down so you can only use it for Apple Pay. :bravo:

http://www.cultofmac.com/296093/apple-confirms-iphone-6-nfc-apple-pay/

Apple locking their stuff down? Wow! What a surprise! I never would have guessed!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

meatpimp posted:

Wasn't the whole point of R134a to be safer than R12? Thanks god for R152. Or maybe just switch to propane for cooling?

And don't give me the whole "explosive gas under pressure? EXPLOSIONS!" because, you know, running fuel rails at 60PSI+ is perfectly ok.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Lightbulb Out posted:

Apple locking their stuff down? Wow! What a surprise! I never would have guessed!

Ask me about the bullshit iPad Air that I'm only keeping because I got it for free from work.

Do you want to use a browser that isn't Safari? gently caress you.
Do you want to load files directly onto it without being tortured with iTunes? gently caress you.
Do you want to download files or save email attachments? gently caress you.
Do you want to multitask (suspended background apps don't count)? gently caress you.
Do you want to use an alternative onscreen keyboard? gently caress you.
Do you want removable storage? gently caress you.

And it goes on and on.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

This is the typical "I hate iDevices" rant I hear. So let me explain it to you as simply as possible: if you need to do those things the device was NOT designed for you. Most people do not need to do any of that, or even really grasp what any of it is. This is the bulk of the market, and who these wildly popular devices were designed for. The sales numbers speak for themselves.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Wasn't the whole point of R134a to be safer than R12? Thanks god for R152. Or maybe just switch to propane for cooling?

And don't give me the whole "explosive gas under pressure? EXPLOSIONS!" because, you know, running fuel rails at 60PSI+ is perfectly ok.

And 1234yf is ungodly expensive.

Might as well use loving Ammonia at that point.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 239 days!)

Motronic posted:

The sales numbers speak for themselves.

Can you imagine yourself saything aloud oh, about 15 years ago? You'd want to punch yourself in the face. Now its just everybody else who does. :v:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Viggen posted:

Can you imagine yourself saything aloud oh, about 15 years ago? You'd want to punch yourself in the face. Now its just everybody else who does. :v:

I'm not sure what was rattling around in your damaged brain but it didn't excrete itself in a meaningful way.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Motronic posted:

This is the typical "I hate iDevices" rant I hear. So let me explain it to you as simply as possible: if you need to do those things the device was NOT designed for you. Most people do not need to do any of that, or even really grasp what any of it is. This is the bulk of the market, and who these wildly popular devices were designed for. The sales numbers speak for themselves.

I hate iDevices, but holy hell I love servicing them in a work environment vs android/winmo.

100+ attorneys who regularly drop their phones in lakes and it is awesome when they roll up with a new iphone and I get them going in two seconds vs android where every drat phone is different due to each manufacturer thinking their way is best blah blah blah.

I am happy to have the choice to use a phone that lets me do what I want, and that there is an option for people who need a glorified technological playpen:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Apple products are the Toyota Corollas of the phone world. Designed for people that want nothing more to get from point A to point B but feel the need to express how superior their purchase is to everybody else, all the time.

Edit: It even seems they're doing things with U2!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I hate a lot of apples business ethics. but on the same token, it lets me do what I want; other things in life instead of re-imaging and hacking roms to make the fucker drunk dial my exes.

E: I'd rather carry my 14 year old star-tac anyways.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 239 days!)

Motronic posted:

I'm not sure what was rattling around in your damaged brain but it didn't excrete itself in a meaningful way.

Ok. Pretend its 1999 all over again. Now imagine someone came out with this incredibly useful device and limited the everliving gently caress out of it. Now imagine yourself a proponent of said device, rather than detractor. Plus, a throwaway joke about you punching yourself in the face, as the idea amuses me.

cursedshitbox posted:

E: I'd rather carry my 14 year old star-tac anyways.

You weren't kidding about that, were you?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

13" chat:

Sorry to hear about that, man. Stay strong and just constantly remind yourself that being away from your girl for months at a time is a far better alternative to losing her forever.

Rower chat:

Rowers at my school were definitely preppy rich kid fucks. I was an acquaintance of a guy who rowed (his nickname was "Harvard", I can't even remember his real name, and he was missing a couple fingers from his right hand that he blew off with fireworks when he was younger) and he was definitely a boat-shoe polo-tucked-into-shorts smug piece of poo poo.

I know this is Automotive Insanity and whatnot but lots of the regulars here seem to be, like, way hosed up in one way or another. What's the deal with that? Are there any relatively sane, well-adjusted people here? Or does this forum just attract people with a penchant for alternative lifestyles/brain patterns?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Motronic posted:

Be careful, he'll start sending you angry PMs.

I wasn't surprised that Apple locked down NFC to some degree, but to make it nothing but Apple Pay takes away a lot of cool functionality. They could take $.10 NFC stickers and market "Apple Spots" where the phones engage in some way when they're near... any number of ideas really... but nope, it's got the functionality, you just can't use it.

• Locked thread