Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Yeah, I can't really say any more since I haven't actually read it, and it just doesn't sound like my kind of fare. I have other things to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coathat
May 21, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

I think it's reasonable to say just from glancing at Prison School that Hiramoto really hates the people who would unironically enjoy it, and wishes he could do more Me and the Devil Blues (which he is now!), but at that doesn't mean I wanna read it. It's great that there are enough people who do that he gets to keep a roof over his head, though.

Eh it's not like Me and the Devil Blues was canceled because it didn't have tits. It ran in afternoon which publishes all sorts of serious manga. And his first series that lasted thirty something volumes was a lot more like prison school than in tone and content. He's also put out a book of erotic pin ups. The man likes to draw tits.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

In non-tits news, the latest Seven Deadly Sins chapter is very, very satisfying.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

coathat posted:

Eh it's not like Me and the Devil Blues was canceled because it didn't have tits. It ran in afternoon which publishes all sorts of serious manga. And his first series that lasted thirty something volumes was a lot more like prison school than in tone and content. He's also put out a book of erotic pin ups. The man likes to draw tits.

On the other hand, Prison School is a horrifically mean book and it is mean to the audience stand-ins and not in a "ha-ha I can relate to that" way it's more of a "ha-ha if you relate to this you should probably kill yourself" way.

Tits pay the bills yo. The success of Prison School is why he's getting to do more Me and the Devil Blues.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

coathat posted:

I'll add to this that a lot of manga artists will unironically draw stuff involving pathetic male leads being surrounded by sexy female leads. Self-deprecation is strong in otaku culture. Just look at the success of It's Not My Fault I'm Not Popular for example. The (female) otaku lead is shown in a pretty despicable light, and yet otaku love the series. There isn't even serious amounts of tits and rear end to draw them in.

EDIT: And, yeah, Seven Sins is good. Still more fanservice than I like, but at least there's some decent fun in the story and characters.

Kaja Rainbow fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 9, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Terper posted:

In non-tits news, the latest Seven Deadly Sins chapter is very, very satisfying.

I did get a warm, fuzzy feeling when the double hammer appeared. It's also going to be fun to see Ban get serious.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Literally The Worst posted:

On the other hand, Prison School is a horrifically mean book and it is mean to the audience stand-ins and not in a "ha-ha I can relate to that" way it's more of a "ha-ha if you relate to this you should probably kill yourself" way.

Tits pay the bills yo. The success of Prison School is why he's getting to do more Me and the Devil Blues.

Yes prison school is mean to the protagonists just like his earlier manga because if makes for good comedy.

It possibly buy the idea of him slumming it for cash if he had made any other serious manga but I can't find a single one.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

coathat posted:

Yes prison school is mean to the protagonists just like his earlier manga because if makes for good comedy.

It possibly buy the idea of him slumming it for cash if he had made any other serious manga but I can't find a single one.

I don't think you understand the difference between "laughing with the audience" and "laughing at the audience."

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
So Shonen Jump Alpha is doing a new thing that's pretty neat, basically translating the first few chapters of whatever Shonen Jump is debuting in Japan, which there is a fair amount of as they're basically throwing stuff out as they're probably looking for something to replace Naruto and Kuroko's Basketball. We still miss out on Boku no Hero Academia, but that's been doing well so maybe it'll be picked up sometime. Anyways, this week we got Judos, a judo manga about a judo village that is the best in the world at judo, which every judo practitioner wants to beat. Features lots of manliness. I'm not that big into it, but I'm usually not into sports manga so can't really judge it yet. Next week is Hi-Fi Cluster, which seems like it has potential based off the one-shot. I can get behind an older hero with cyborg barcode powers. After that is Sporting Salt, which seems to be your typical ecchi manga about a perverted doctor who helps athletes. There's a translated one-shot of it out there if anyone's curious, but probably not worth it.

And just because I like to sperg about Shonen Jump rankings, Yoakemono and Mitsubuki Condor are basically hosed, both having their first ranking all the way at the bottom, which based off how Iron Knight and Stealth Symphony went, is practically a death sentence. Naruto is still in the middle after that drop from last week, being beaten out this week by Assassination Classroom, One Piece, Hero Academy, Shokugeki no Souma, and Haikyuu. So yeah, Hero Academy is doing well, which is pretty nice. I actually went back to check what Barrage's initial rankings were, it started out midline, and immediately tanked, so in comparison, Hero Academy starting in the top 5 is probably pretty good for a new manga, in comparison to all the other debuts this year anyways. The only other new manga that had a good debut was Hinomaru Zumou, the sumo manga which again I don't really know much about other than it's been doing well.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Undead Lovers, a cute but also really sad series with 3 out of around 12 chapters currently scanlated. I am bad at summaries so here's the one the scanlator used:

quote:

Kouno Jun is a lively character who lives life with all his might. In kindergarten, he falls in love with Hasebe Rino, the most beautiful girl in his class, and he confesses to her. Hasebe accepts his love, but the moment she gives her answer, she vanishes on the spot. Failing to figure out what's going on, Kouno asks his friends about Hasebe, only to find out that no one remembers a single thing about her. She has just vanished, along with all memories about her, except for those of Kouno.

While Kouno leads a weary and desperate high-school life, Hasebe appears again as a transfer student. However, this Hasebe is not exactly the Hasebe he knows...

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Oh so it's how I suspect how the Nisekoi guy is going about things.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
So Middle-School Psychological Romantic TortureTeasing Master Takagi-san is updated again! In this new chapter, we learn that good assassins train early.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

toanoradian posted:

So Middle-School Psychological Romantic TortureTeasing Master Takagi-san is updated again! In this new chapter, we learn that good assassins train early.

:swoon:

This really is the cutest manga. Offset -- or possibly enhanced-- by Nishikata's increasingly Akagi/Kaiji-esque tense paranoid internal monologues.

But it's almost painful, watching that boy. Go on, ask her out already, dude!

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

DrSunshine posted:

This really is the cutest manga. Offset -- or possibly enhanced-- by Nishikata's increasingly Akagi/Kaiji-esque tense paranoid internal monologues.

By volume 2 the pranks go multi-chapters. By volume 3 it's just Liar Game but with 'asking her out' replacing 'being in massive debt'.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
So I still think Hi-Fi Cluster is pretty rad. Go check it out right now if you are subscribed to shonen jump alpha. Or look through the one shot raw I linked earlier since they're practically the same, and it's somewhat easy to tell what's going on even if you can't read Japanese. Like I said earlier, I can get behind a setting where barcodes give you abilities, and the main character is a cop who can channel past heroes. Kind of like sci-fi shaman king now that I think about it, combined with police genre. You also have your other more typical shonen protagonist who has no talent with barcode labels, but will probably be added to the squad as the new rookie next chapter.

I'm still not sure about Judos, other than a Judo village that has battle royales every full moon night is cool I guess.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
The Shounen Thread returns (burning heart!) from its slumber deep in Page 3! Now, take this! Teasing Thunder Takagi-san! NEW CHAPTER! It's about the need to have a friend who knows more words than you.

I know, I should pick a more heart-thrilling manga than this, but haven't found any worthwhile shounen manga in a while.

burning heart!

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

toanoradian posted:

The Shounen Thread returns (burning heart!) from its slumber deep in Page 3! Now, take this! Teasing Thunder Takagi-san! NEW CHAPTER! It's about the need to have a friend who knows more words than you.

I know, I should pick a more heart-thrilling manga than this, but haven't found any worthwhile shounen manga in a while.

burning heart!

Reading this series is sheer torture, I tell ya.

Just kiss already, drat it!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

toanoradian posted:

burning heart!

Is Takagi gonna end up like the Ape Titan from Attack on Titan now, with the fan names? Teasing Thunder, Titan of Torture, Master Troll, Ayatollah of Rock & Rollah, etc.

That frog... :allears:

JosephWongKS posted:

Just kiss already, drat it!

Takagi is torturing both the audience and Nishikata, it's exquisite. My guess is that they'll start going steady when Seki marries Yokoi.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 30, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Has anyone been reading Angel-chan and Demon-kun? It's this weird, quirky little manga about some middle schoolers with very very unfortunate names, and the various wacky things that happen. It's a strange, screwball comedy that somewhat reminds me of Nichijou.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

DrSunshine posted:

Has anyone been reading Angel-chan and Demon-kun? It's this weird, quirky little manga about some middle schoolers with very very unfortunate names, and the various wacky things that happen. It's a strange, screwball comedy that somewhat reminds me of Nichijou.

The jokes are pretty snappy, reminds me of D-Frag but with a much smaller cast and more slapstick so far.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

Kind of surprised you did not link a page from the end of chapter 3. Though that would be more out of left field.

MadHat fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 1, 2014

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
No jokes from me, the new chapter of The Teasing Teaser of Tease Town, Takagi-tan doesn't actually feature any teases, and as such I can only give it a 9.9/10 instead of the typical 11/10. I don't know why you'd bother reading this chapter, really. No actual teases today. Just a teasing of teasing, sort of teasing aimed at the...reader...

!!!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

toanoradian posted:

No jokes from me, the new chapter of The Teasing Teaser of Tease Town, Takagi-tan doesn't actually feature any teases, and as such I can only give it a 9.9/10 instead of the typical 11/10. I don't know why you'd bother reading this chapter, really. No actual teases today. Just a teasing of teasing, sort of teasing aimed at the...reader...

!!!

drat that Takagi, she's twisted this poor boy's mind such that she can torture him without even saying anything! Truly terrifying is the tiny tyrant of Teasing!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
So Claymore just finished its run. It started slow, got pretty great for a good stretch, kind of petered off but ultimately did have a pretty good last couple of chapters. The biggest issues with it was keeping track of all the similar-looking characters between monthly releases (it really should have been a weekly series). Now that that's not a problem anymore, I hope any new readers will like it even more. It's a pretty solid series if you're looking for something new to read.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
My Hero Academia finally got another chapter translated!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Allarion posted:

My Hero Academia finally got another chapter translated!

I didn't even know the first chapter got translated! This translation is kinda bad, but I'll take it.

Edit: The second chapter seems better, though. Seems like they got some better QCs or whoever checks to make sure poo poo makes sense. Quirk is a much better translation for Individuality. What the gently caress even was that bullshit.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 12, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
:pwn:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Looks good to me

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

moe

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Waffleman_ posted:

I didn't even know the first chapter got translated! This translation is kinda bad, but I'll take it.

Edit: The second chapter seems better, though. Seems like they got some better QCs or whoever checks to make sure poo poo makes sense. Quirk is a much better translation for Individuality. What the gently caress even was that bullshit.

It's cause 個性 literally means individuality, personality, or idiosyncrasy, so the first translator probably went with the literal choice. Quirk is definitely better though. Curious about that scanlation group though, since they seem to be a Vietnamese subbing group mainly, but they're the only ones interested in scanlating this series at the moment, so they're good in my book.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

icantfindaname posted:

Looks good to me
Nah she's got some :downs:-eyes going on there

Look at the left eye, then the right eye and you'll see it

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Nah she's got some :downs:-eyes going on there

Look at the left eye, then the right eye and you'll see it

look closer at his post and you'll see the joke

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
ICFAN never jokes around

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I've been reading I'ts not My fault I'm not popular. Is it odd that I like it because Tomoko was basically me when I was in high school...and maybe a little bit today?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I think that's the point

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Allarion posted:

It's cause 個性 literally means individuality, personality, or idiosyncrasy, so the first translator probably went with the literal choice. Quirk is definitely better though. Curious about that scanlation group though, since they seem to be a Vietnamese subbing group mainly, but they're the only ones interested in scanlating this series at the moment, so they're good in my book.

Individuality has way too many syllables to be the name of the powerset du jour. It's gotta be quick and snappy.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Looks like SKET Dance is in its final legs! Chapter 278-- the "Passing on the Torch" arc begins!

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So WataMote is probably my new anime obsession. Tomoko is a perfect rear end in a top hat protagonist that you still wanna root for. She is basically Tina Belcher if Tina had absolutely no social life.

But I have been thinking, if Tomoko was a boy, would this series still work?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Welcome to the NHK points to yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Of course, that proves they wouldn't attempt it if there wasn't a cute girl for the male MC to try to court.