Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME

Picnic Princess posted:

In keeping with the thread title theme, a hunter was killed by a female grizzly here a week ago. The amazing thing is that fish and wildlife officers have decided not to destroy the bear. Have to say I'm pretty happy about that. The evidence suggest the guy got in between the bear and her cub who was at a fresh deer kill. Since it's completely normal behavior on part of the bear, they're leaving her alone.

I don't know why but I really have this whole image of the Alberta rockies as filthy with grizzlies who will tear you to pieces at any moment. Probably because I remember one or two people running afoul of them back in 2000 when I was in Calgary.

My takeaway really is "don't gently caress around near bears in the fall in Alberta"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritzov
Oct 24, 2010

evil_bunnY posted:

Fleecs are the devil. Some kind of compressible midlayer (whatever-loft) is usually warmer and lighter.

Thanks for both of your advice.

Is there any brand/model you would recommend?

If the jacket works for all year activities i would be willing to spend the extra money on Gore-Tex

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

fritzov posted:

Thanks for both of your advice.

Is there any brand/model you would recommend?

If the jacket works for all year activities i would be willing to spend the extra money on Gore-Tex
Arcteryx atoms are my fav, but pricey. Rab makes a great one too, and REI has a cheap but dependable option. Some of them come with pouches instead of packing into their own pocket but you can just compress them into a sleeve. Then when you need it you hold the cuff, give it a tug and voila jacket.

You don't need goretex for anything (any membrane will p much do). Goretex isn't even that great, but because it's pricey it's usually laminated to good fabrics.

fritzov
Oct 24, 2010
I forgot to mention that the brand need to be pretty big in it's size's. When I in the past have bought skiing jackets a lot of XXL have not been able to fit me.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

evil_bunnY posted:

Fleecs are the devil. Some kind of compressible midlayer (whatever-loft) is usually warmer and lighter.

This is more of a cost trade-off I think. For really cold weather I'd spring for a compressible midlayer, but I've got some some very nice layers that are considered microfleeces that I use in pretty cold weather under the shell. I haven't spent the money for a nice down layer, mostly because I haven't needed that much insulation yet. This probably depends a bit on location, too, where in NH most of my winter hiking has been snowshoeing to tree line, which keeps you pretty warm on its own, and above tree line time is limited.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot
Yeah, I have used fleece under a cheap wind shirt, sitting at like 3000' at -15C as a kid and felt just fine.

You don't want one jacket that can do everything. As I'm sure you know from skiing, layers are better (I remember days on Mt. Hood where I was skiing with a T-shirt and shorts, and got sunburnt afterwards :D). Also, there is no such thing as a truly waterproof jacket, but you can get stuff that is pretty good.

Personally, I wear a Tyvek suit with vent zips for rain. It does pretty much nothing for the cold, so I adjust the clothing I wear under it to fit the situation (season, sitting around vs running). I too, hear a lot of great things about the Arcteryx Atom, and the pair of pants I have from them are pretty good, so give it a try I guess. If you're in Sweden, you might be able to look into some of the stuff Mamuut sells. They're German or Swiss or something, but they also have excellent gear.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The more euro brands (even the Scandinavian ones) are the same stuff you get everywhere else TBH. And if you're going to pay out the rear end, might as well buy Arc.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Sep 14, 2014

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Summitted Altair Peak.

It was a long hike http://www.strava.com/activities/194145765. Ran into two bull moose but they split before I could grab my camera. Then almost walked right into an elk but she left in a hurry as well.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Levitate posted:

I don't know why but I really have this whole image of the Alberta rockies as filthy with grizzlies who will tear you to pieces at any moment. Probably because I remember one or two people running afoul of them back in 2000 when I was in Calgary.

My takeaway really is "don't gently caress around near bears in the fall in Alberta"

Our grizzlies are massive. We have this sort of subpopulation of beefcake bears. Nowadays there's a major effort by conservation officers to ensure encounters are minimized by enforcing regional closures, minimum hiking group sizes, mandatory bear spray for certain areas, and fining people for breaking the rules. A really large area where the hunter was killed remains closed and probably will until winter.

Our black bears are gigantic chickens though. I've scared off several by either talking sternly or moving a car a few inches.

fritzov
Oct 24, 2010
Will this Fjällräven fill my needs?

http://www.fjallraven.us/products/stuga-3-in-1-jacket

I've also looked at the Eco trail jacket but i am not sure i am a fan of the none removable hood.

http://www.fjallraven.us/products/eco-trail-jacket

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Argh my Columbia hard shell zipper ripped off [a few teeth are broken off too] in my move last month and I'm going to the enchantments in three weeks. Is this something a dry cleaner could fix or do I need to send it to Columbia?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Hey guys, I have a 3 day weekend coming up this week and I kinda just want to disappear somewhere and enjoy myself in solitude, especially with the weather cooling off. I have no camping/hiking gear except for a pair of trail running shoes. Would it be possible to get geared up for a 2 night hike/camp somewhere under say $500? I'd prefer REI if possible cause I bought into their membership already. Thinking of heading out Friday morning and spending Friday and Saturday night, and then coming back sometime Sunday.

e: I do have a thin marmot fleece and wool socks.

warderenator
Nov 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Boris Galerkin posted:

Hey guys, I have a 3 day weekend coming up this week and I kinda just want to disappear somewhere and enjoy myself in solitude, especially with the weather cooling off. I have no camping/hiking gear except for a pair of trail running shoes. Would it be possible to get geared up for a 2 night hike/camp somewhere under say $500? I'd prefer REI if possible cause I bought into their membership already. Thinking of heading out Friday morning and spending Friday and Saturday night, and then coming back sometime Sunday.

You can totally go camping for under $500, but it will depend on where you're going and how much you want to be able to do. At the very cheap end you can just sleep in your car and eat beef jerky and candy bars for a couple days. For car camping you'll need a tent and sleeping bag. If you want to cook you'll need a stove and a pot or pan and a place to store food. For backpacking you'll also need a pack, a solution for water, and all your gear will need to be light. The easiest thing to do is to find a campground in an interesting area and do your hiking during the day.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Boris Galerkin posted:

If you're just solo-ing it then the REI Passage 1 is pretty good for the price:
http://www.rei.com/item/827809/rei-passage-1-tent

Would still need a sleeping bag and pad at a minimum, along with a small stove for hot meals. $500 should be doable.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

warderenator posted:

You can totally go camping for under $500, but it will depend on where you're going and how much you want to be able to do. At the very cheap end you can just sleep in your car and eat beef jerky and candy bars for a couple days. For car camping you'll need a tent and sleeping bag. If you want to cook you'll need a stove and a pot or pan and a place to store food. For backpacking you'll also need a pack, a solution for water, and all your gear will need to be light. The easiest thing to do is to find a campground in an interesting area and do your hiking during the day.

I don't want to sleep in a car though. I was thinking of finding a trail that loops around or two trails or something and hiking until sundown and setting up camp for the night and picking up the next morning etc.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
It depends on in if you are backpacking or just camping out of your car. Backpacking requires lighter more compressable gear, in order to fit on your back. I lean more towards backpacking gear because it can work for either that or car camping where as car camping can only be used for car camping.

Tents, I really like the REI Passage 2. For $160, its small and light enough to carry for one person, but big enough that you can fit 2 people inside if needed. With only one person there's plenty of room for gear etc. It has a nice venting system to prevent condensation and keep a nice airflow through the tent. The rainfly provides a nice vestibule on each side and goes all the way to the ground. It takes about a minute to set up. I've used mine for 4 years with no issues whatsoever in heat, snow, cold and rain. Its not ultralight or anything but I've never regretted it once. It can get cramped with 2 people (as with any 2p backpacking tent) but you're not really looking to do much in it besides sleeping.
http://www.rei.com/item/810115/rei-passage-2-tent

Sleeping bags, you have two directions. Synthetic or Down. Sleeping bags are probably one of the biggest purchases to make especially if you plan on camping in colder weather. Down bags are light, compress really small, offer incredible warmth to weight ratios, and last a long time. The problem is that if they are typically expensive and if they get wet, they won't provide any insulation so get a dry sack to keep it in while in your pack. Don't store it compressed for long periods of time. Synthetic bags tend to be much cheaper, heavier, less compressible but can still offer some insulation if they get wet. They can deteriorate over time as the insulation breaks down from being continuously compressed so similar to down bags, keep them stored at home uncompressed, either in a big cotton bag or hanging in your closet.

Synthetic - North Face Cats Meow 20ş - $170. 2lbs 11oz 11 liters packed. http://www.rei.com/item/864539/the-north-face-cats-meow-sleeping-bag
Down - Kelty Cosmic Down 21ş - $170 - 2lbs 9oz 10.9 liters packed. http://www.rei.com/item/847649/kelty-cosmic-down-21-sleeping-bag

Sleeping pads they do more than just adding comfort from the hard ground, they also help to keep you insulated from the ground when it gets cold. They usually have R values to let you know how much they insulated. There are three main types. Closed cell foam (just a foam mat), inflatable (like an air mattress) and self inflating (filled with foam but also has an air valve.) Closed cell is usually the cheapest and lightest option but they aren't always the most comfortable. If you can tolerate them, awesome but I know I can't do it. Inflatable mattresses offer the plushest sleep you can get and are generally fairly lightweight since its filled with air. You have to blow them up and they can pop, but the fabrics are getting much better that punctures are much less common these days. If you want an inflatable pad with insulation, you have to make sure it is insulated otherwise its just a cold air mattress. Self inflating mattresses are a nice combo but they can get heavy and expensive while also not packing up so small. I started with a closed cell foam pad and my hips/back/shoulders couldn't take it. I switched to a self inflating mattress for a few years but eventually my hips got sore from side sleeping. I've now switched to an inflatable mattress and its incredible.

Foam pad - Thermarest Z lite SOL $50 http://www.rei.com/item/829826/therm-a-rest-z-lite-sol-sleeping-pad
Self inflating - Thermarest Trail Scout $50 http://www.rei.com/item/865152/therm-a-rest-trail-scout-sleeping-pad
Inflatable - BA Air core (insulated) $90 http://www.rei.com/item/846692/big-agnes-air-core-insulated-sleeping-pad

Stoves I have always liked MSR. Jetboil is a great system but I personally feel they are a little bulky. I really like the pocket rocket because its tiny and can get water boiling insanely fast. I use a whisperlite (liquid fuel stove) but I've considered the pocket rocket because it doesn't take as much time to set up as my liquid stove.

MSR pocket rocket - $40 + $8/fuel http://www.rei.com/item/660163/msr-pocket-rocket-backpacking-stove

Obviously buying on sale will make a difference in price but at REI sale items wouldn't apply to your dividend.

Verman fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 15, 2014

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Sleeping pads 7 Dollar blue pad from Wal-Mart

Stoves .50 cent Cat Can stove, 5 dollar Grease Pot and a 1 dollar bottle of yellow Heet and a plastic spoon from Taco Bell/Wendys/In n Out.

That's what I would do to save some cash. My cook setup is exactly the same and has several thousand miles on it, including my spoon from In-n-Out. Frog toggs/Dri Ducks for rain/wind jacket purposes. Trash compactor/garbage bag for a pack liner (Don't spend 50 bucks on a pack cover). If you have time, I would buy a used bag/shelter/backpack off of the backpackinglight forums. Make sure you spend some of that money on socks/footwear.

Canna Happy fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Sep 15, 2014

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

quote:

Sleeping bags, you have two directions. Synthetic or Down. Sleeping bags are probably one of the biggest purchases to make especially if you plan on camping in colder weather. Down bags are light, compress really small, offer incredible warmth to weight ratios, and last a long time. The problem is that if they are typically expensive and if they get wet, they won't provide any insulation so get a dry sack to keep it in while in your pack. Don't store it compressed for long periods of time. Synthetic bags tend to be much cheaper, heavier, less compressible but can still offer some insulation if they get wet. They can deteriorate over time as the insulation breaks down from being continuously compressed so similar to down bags, keep them stored at home uncompressed, either in a big cotton bag or hanging in your closet.

I wouldn't bother with a dry sack unless you're someplace where you know you're going to get rained on a lot and you don't have a pack liner/pack cover. Needing a dry sack for your sleeping bag basically means your entire pack has gotten soaked all the way through and that's not a common occurance unless you drop your pack in water and leave it there or it's nonstop heavy raining all day and you don't have some kind of cover for it

e: this is obviously just my opinion though...I'd rather spend the money on a pack cover or liner that will protect all of my equipment than a dry bag that will only protect my sleeping bag

Also most bags these days come with a storage sack that is big enough to allow them to be stored uncompressed in it, so yeah just use that

Levitate fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Sep 15, 2014

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

Canna Happy posted:

Sleeping pads 7 Dollar blue pad from Wal-Mart

Stoves .50 cent Cat Can stove, 5 dollar Grease Pot and a 1 dollar bottle of yellow Heet and a plastic spoon from Taco Bell/Wendys/In n Out.

That's what I would do to save some cash. My cook setup is exactly the same and has several thousand miles on it, including my spoon from In-n-Out. Frog toggs/Dri Ducks for rain/wind jacket purposes. Trash compactor/garbage bag for a pack liner (Don't spend 50 bucks on a pack cover). If you have time, I would buy a used bag/shelter/backpack off of the backpackinglight forums. Make sure you spend some of that money on socks/footwear.

As an alternative to the cat can stove, I use one of those dealextreme canister stoves. They are super cheap and pack pretty small. I got mine from Amazon and I've used it on about a half-dozen trips and it works great. It even has a piezo lighter attached to it that (mostly) works.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

dedian posted:

Kinda shelter related I guess - anybody hammock camp? I'm just getting back into backpacking and I'd like to get away from sleeping on the ground. I'm in MN and plan to do most of my outings in state forests or up north, so plenty of trees. Right now I'm planning on DIY'ing a double-layer hammock and using either an inflatable pad (that I already own) or a foam pad for some insulation between the layers, until I can afford quilts of any warmth. Is this a horrible idea? :D

Eagle's Nest Outfitters does a better hammock than you can make for the money. I think I paid $60 for my DoubleNest, and it's huge and comfy. Cold weather I just toss my winter pad (which is a closed-cell foam pad with a space-blanket style reflective mylar sheet adhesived on top) under me and a quilt I manufactured out of a sleeping bag with a bad zipper on top. Been comfy down to high 30's overnight while deer hunting in northern Iowa. :)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Boris Galerkin posted:

I don't want to sleep in a car though. I was thinking of finding a trail that loops around or two trails or something and hiking until sundown and setting up camp for the night and picking up the next morning etc.

"Car camping" is what most people actually do when camping. It's not actually camping in your car, it's driving up to your camping spot, setting up there, then doing a bunch of day hikes. I honestly enjoy doing it a lot since most parks are set up for this type of camping and most of the really scenic spots are going to be accessible with a day hike. As with Verman, I highly recommend the REI passage tent (i have the 1 man style though) and would skimp on most things, getting them from a Walmart (coleman brand) for your first few trips. Only when you need to carry things on your back do you need to worry about size and weight, and that's where pretty much all the cost comes into play.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
This midwest cold streak is loving with my head. These fall temps are getting me ready for my upper peninsula camping/bird hunting trip ... which isn't until the end of october. With the way the weather is now, I will probably be snow camping in october. I think I'm going to check out the north country trail while I'm up there when I'm not hunting, exploring some 2 tracks, or drinking lots of lovely beer.

Master shakesman, you're familiar with the UP, you ever hike the NC Trail?
http://northcountrytrail.org/trail/states/michigan/explore-by-section/north-country-trail-hikers/

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Hell yes I am , my uncle is one of the guys that helped build it and just sent out some pictures of their 25th anniversary meeting of the trail building club. I've done portions in the McCormick wilderness (I almost always camp back there on the north end of bulldog lake, either bush whacking back there or carrying in a canoe) and also some other areas I can't recall (I think the porkies has a section of it too?). Want me to ask about any cool areas of it to do?

The McCormick wilderness is real cool, I saw some baby loons on lake Margaret once there. My cousins usually build an igloo every mlk day there but I haven't had the chance to go with. Also my dad and uncle both almost died there of hypothermia on the same trip due to 34 degree temps and pouring rain , and my uncle another time when he fell through the ice while skiing and had to go five miles to his car before freezing. Said he made an all time record for that distance because he knew he was dead if he stopped to catch his breath.

That's the area we usually go into, there's a 120 year old logging trail we have a map of that skirts the two lakes. I've routinely tried to keep a trail open through there, but the rangers keep taking down our flagging so we eventually gave up. I also don't think they liked seeing us walking in with a backpack with a couple of hatches, saws, and axes :v:
You have to build a bridge across a creek usually, then wade the mouth of the Bulldog lake, but there's a gorgeous sandy beach there. I put an X where we usually camp, the line under it is the beach that's held in place by some old logs the McCormicks dropped a hundred years ago. The O is a big clearing where the mining camp was. It's honestly easier to just carry a canoe 3.5 miles in with gear than try to follow the logging road, but it's real nice in the summer to do.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 15, 2014

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

Also my dad and uncle both almost died there of hypothermia on the same trip due to 34 degree temps and pouring rain , and my uncle another time when he fell through the ice while skiing and had to go five miles to his car before freezing. Said he made an all time record for that distance because he knew he was dead if he stopped to catch his breath.
Holy gently caress do they have karma and stupidy left over from previous lives?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

evil_bunnY posted:

Holy gently caress do they have karma and stupidy left over from previous lives?

The number of near death escapes my dad/uncle have had is completely insane. They're both farmers so it's just nonstop ' woops the tractor flipped off the dyke and landed upside down in the river but I jumped clear in time!!' or 'then i was underwater in the pipe pulling out the beaver dam and got trapped against the grate when all the water started rushing out, good thing i held my breath long enough" escapades.

On the other hand I was scared shitless going to Zion National Park the first time, thinking it was a complete death trap full of flash floods and whatnot because I was so used to nothing but wilderness camping in the 90s where there was no hope of rescue when things went bad. It also helps that the gear has gotten so much better in the last decade or two.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 15, 2014

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
My father and one of my uncles had the same habit up until the last decade; always doing stupid poo poo outside and nearly getting killed, sometimes nearly getting the children killed, etc. Turns out that cocaine is a hell of a drug, the stupid poo poo stopped at the same time they both got beer guts.

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

Hey guys, I hope it is ok, I am doing a gear check. I am heading to RMNP in about a week(for two nights), and want to make sure I have everything I need. I will have some other people with me that will have cooking stuff, a water purification system, navigation stuff, and such.

1. Osprey 58L pack
2. Marmot Stormlight - tent
3. Big Agnes Lost Ranger - sleeping bag
4. Therm-a-rest Prolite - sleeping pad
5. Patagonia Capaline 3(pants and long sleeve), Kuhl pants, convertible pants, and two t-shirts(non-cotton).
6. 2 Pairs of Smartwool socks
7. First Aid Kit
8. Toilet paper and toiletries(tooth paste, hand sanitizer, deodorant, bug spray, sun screen, and such)
9. Nalgene Bottle
10. 3L hydration pack
11. Mountain Hardwear Zonal Insulated Jacket
12. Patagonia Torrentshell Parka
13. Headlamp
14. Knife
15. Spoon/Knife/Fork Combo
16. Beanie

I have not been to Rocky Mountain National Park this time of year, and don't want to be missing something. Tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, and bag is 12 lbs 13 oz. I haven't weighed my clothes yet. This kind of came as a surprise trip, with just a few weeks of planning.

Anything I am missing(besides a coffee cup, and food)?

Colt Cannon fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Sep 16, 2014

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

Eagle's Nest Outfitters does a better hammock than you can make for the money. I think I paid $60 for my DoubleNest, and it's huge and comfy. Cold weather I just toss my winter pad (which is a closed-cell foam pad with a space-blanket style reflective mylar sheet adhesived on top) under me and a quilt I manufactured out of a sleeping bag with a bad zipper on top. Been comfy down to high 30's overnight while deer hunting in northern Iowa. :)

Thanks for the ENO review! I'd seen them at REI and they were on my radar - honestly I mostly wanted a project to make. Turned out to be very frustrating on the sewing machine (lubrication is important!), but it's finished for under $50 to the length I wanted. Splicing Amsteel for the whoopie slings and ridgeline is also a lot more fun than I thought it'd be. Still need to make the tarp but that's more of the same type of sewing.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I'll be camping next to Lake Michigan this weekend outside of Ludington in the Nordhouse Dunes Wilderness. First time I have hike into a site 3.5 miles away. I'm excited, but it's going to be coooold.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Colt Cannon posted:

Hey guys, I hope it is ok, I am doing a gear check. I am heading to RMNP in about a week(for two nights), and want to make sure I have everything I need. I will have some other people with me that will have cooking stuff, a water purification system, navigation stuff, and such.

1. Osprey 58L pack
5. Patagonia Capaline 3(pants and long sleeve), Kuhl pants, convertible pants, and two t-shirts(non-cotton).
7. First Aid Kit
8. Toilet paper and toiletries(tooth paste, hand sanitizer, deodorant, bug spray, sun screen, and such)
9. Nalgene Bottle
10. 3L hydration pack
13. Headlamp
14. Knife
16. Beanie

I have not been to Rocky Mountain National Park this time of year, and don't want to be missing something. Tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, and bag is 12 lbs 13 oz. I haven't weighed my clothes yet. This kind of came as a surprise trip, with just a few weeks of planning.

Looks pretty good unless you were looking for places to cut weight. Maybe add a pair of gloves?

I notice you have TP, but no trowel. If you're making GBS threads in the woods, make sure you have something to dig a cat hole with.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Colt Cannon posted:

1. Osprey 58L pack
7. First Aid Kit
9. Nalgene Bottle
10. 3L hydration pack
13. Headlamp
14. Knife
16. Beanie

I love RMNP, where are you going in the park and for how long?

Your list looks pretty good. I would personally bring some long underwear in case the temps drop which is very likely. Late september up there can be in the 70's during the day and easily drop to 30s at night or colder. More than likely it will be in the 60s-70s during the day, probably 40s at night but you could easily see snow already especially if the temps drop. I'm not sure if the summer afternoon thunder/rain storms are tapering off but those are a thing. When I was out there last august, it was like clockwork. Starting around 12-1pm and going until about 3-4pm every single day and it wasn't just a light sprinkle. We made it a point to try to have our tents up before the rain started.

Bug spray - I've never needed it in RMNP. I'm not sure if its the altitude, wind, or varying temps but I've never had so much as a single mosquito/fly bite in all my time up there. I've also switched from a big spray can to a small rub on stick for when I actually do bring it.

Maybe some paracord? Its super cheap, light and has a million and one uses. Combine it with a sheet of tyvek and you have yourself an easy/light shelter so you aren't confined to your tent if its raining.

Pack cover/garbage disposal bag/contractor bag - You will want something to keep your bag dry.

Verman fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 16, 2014

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

Verman posted:

I love RMNP, where are you going in the park and for how long?

Your list looks pretty good. I would personally bring some long underwear in case the temps drop which is very likely. Late september up there can be in the 70's during the day and easily drop to 30s at night or colder. More than likely it will be in the 60s-70s during the day, probably 40s at night but you could easily see snow already especially if the temps drop. I'm not sure if the summer afternoon thunder/rain storms are tapering off but those are a thing. When I was out there last august, it was like clockwork. Starting around 12-1pm and going until about 3-4pm every single day and it wasn't just a light sprinkle. We made it a point to try to have our tents up before the rain started.

Bug spray - I've never needed it in RMNP. I'm not sure if its the altitude, wind, or varying temps but I've never had so much as a single mosquito/fly bite in all my time up there. I've also switched from a big spray can to a small rub on stick for when I actually do bring it.

Maybe some paracord? Its super cheap, light and has a million and one uses. Combine it with a sheet of tyvek and you have yourself an easy/light shelter so you aren't confined to your tent if its raining.

Pack cover/garbage disposal bag/contractor bag - You will want something to keep your bag dry.

We are heading for Helene Lake I am pretty sure, and will be there for two nights.

I have Patagonia Capilene 3, which is pretty warm and wicks. THe pants I have supposedly resist water, and I have a decent parka for water.

The bug spray is a small bottle, and is for ticks more than anything. I am used to camping where mosquitoes are insane, and have the West Nile Virus.

I have some paracord somewhere, I will bring that. My pack has a built in rain cover that is pretty awesome. I am also going to add some small can liners to act as trash bags.

Tigren posted:

Looks pretty good unless you were looking for places to cut weight. Maybe add a pair of gloves?

I notice you have TP, but no trowel. If you're making GBS threads in the woods, make sure you have something to dig a cat hole with.

I will add a trowel, I used to have one, but the handle bent dealing with some super dry and rocky earth.

I have also noticed, people seem to dislike Patagonia(I keep seeing it being called Pradagonia), is there a reason for that, other than price? I always have liked them. Then again, the people I see disliking them are the type of people that only buy ONE brand of gear.

Colt Cannon fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 16, 2014

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Colt Cannon posted:

I have also noticed, people seem to dislike Patagonia(I keep seeing it being called Pradagonia), is there a reason for that, other than price? I always have liked them. Then again, the people I see disliking them are the type of people that only buy ONE brand of gear.

I've heard it called Patagucci. The hate I've seen comes from people who simply don't like Patagonia, and disdain those who seem to only buy Patagoina. Kind of the opposite of your experience, which is funny.

I see nothing wrong with them at all. They make some cool stuff.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Colt Cannon posted:

I've always heard Patagucci. I think it's just because their stuff is so darn expensive. A friend of my family lost their home to a fire near Yosemite recently and Patagonia sent them several large boxes of free gear including summer and winter clothes for them and their little kid. Everyone I know in the park service loves them for their quality gear and their generally positive corporate culture (but then again the park service has pro deals so they can all get it super cheap). I don't actually own anything from them since I don't think the price is justified but I don't have a problem with them as a company.

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

Reformed Tomboy posted:

I've heard it called Patagucci. The hate I've seen comes from people who simply don't like Patagonia, and disdain those who seem to only buy Patagoina. Kind of the opposite of your experience, which is funny.

I see nothing wrong with them at all. They make some cool stuff.

Oh weird. I don't get the buying only one brand of gear. No company can do everything perfect. I like having a mish-mash of stuff.

Saint Fu posted:

I've always heard Patagucci. I think it's just because their stuff is so darn expensive. A friend of my family lost their home to a fire near Yosemite recently and Patagonia sent them several large boxes of free gear including summer and winter clothes for them and their little kid. Everyone I know in the park service loves them for their quality gear and their generally positive corporate culture (but then again the park service has pro deals so they can all get it super cheap). I don't actually own anything from them since I don't think the price is justified but I don't have a problem with them as a company.

That is pretty awesome of them to do. So far the only thing I can see being justified is their Capaline stuff, but that is mainly because I haven't tried any other brands of baselayer other than cheap stuff.

DO you have any other suggestions for base layers, besides icebreaker?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Yeah I think gear heads just kind of dislike them because they're not very cheap, pretty "traditional outdoors clothes", and also do a lot of more regular clothing that isn't explicitly outdoors oriented

e: REI has their own line of stuff as well that's competitive with other companies (actually I think a lot of REI branded stuff is just made for them by normal manufacturers), even if it's not markedly cheaper anymore. With some hunting around you can also find stuff like smartwool and icebreaker on sale for decent prices. Sometimes Sierra Trading Post has a lot.

Wool is definitely more delicate though

Levitate fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 16, 2014

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Colt Cannon posted:

Oh weird. I don't get the buying only one brand of gear. No company can do everything perfect.
Arcteryx, maybe. I don't understand the pata hate either. They make good stuff, pretty responsibly. That's a lot more that you can say for 90% of the outdoor garment industry.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Levitate posted:

I much prefer merino wool to any other fabric, especially for outdoors activities. I haven't found it to be delicate in my experience, at least when it comes to shirts and long underwear.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Saint Fu posted:

I much prefer merino wool to any other fabric, especially for outdoors activities. I haven't found it to be delicate in my experience, at least when it comes to shirts and long underwear.

I also prefer it for the most part but have found it to be a bit more likely to develop holes to some extent, but that also probably depends on what weight you're using and how much you're wearing it/what the friction points are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

evil_bunnY posted:

Arcteryx, maybe. I don't understand the pata hate either. They make good stuff, pretty responsibly. That's a lot more that you can say for 90% of the outdoor garment industry.

I have never tried Arcteryx, but most of their stuff seems out of my price range.

Levitate posted:

Yeah I think gear heads just kind of dislike them because they're not very cheap, pretty "traditional outdoors clothes", and also do a lot of more regular clothing that isn't explicitly outdoors oriented

e: REI has their own line of stuff as well that's competitive with other companies (actually I think a lot of REI branded stuff is just made for them by normal manufacturers), even if it's not markedly cheaper anymore. With some hunting around you can also find stuff like smartwool and icebreaker on sale for decent prices. Sometimes Sierra Trading Post has a lot.

I will have to check out that REI stuff. There isn't one near me sadly, but they seem trustworthy. I keep checking Sierra Trading Post, but they do not have much in my size. I guess that is the bane of being a small. I need to just eat more oats/chimichangas and cultivate some mass.