Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

adorai posted:

we have windows datacenter licenses so a windows instance is basically free, we still chose the vcsa, because it's the future or something.

Did you just install VUM on the FS like most do? or just do powerCLI/VMA the updating thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Did you just install VUM on the FS like most do? or just do powerCLI/VMA the updating thing?
We don't have too many hosts so we update manually.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
We're doing VCSA for all of our clients, and even replacing some Windows-based vCenter instances with the appliance when it's time to upgrade. It's actually faster to roll our the appliance than it is to upgrade vCenter, especially older instances. Since our client deployments are small (Essentials Plus), it's a no-brainer. Upgrading the appliance is much easier too - there's an upgrade button right in the appliance web interface.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Does the VDP Appliance boot for ANYONE in 10 minutes? It's at least 20 minutes for me.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Frozen-Solid posted:

Does the VDP Appliance boot for ANYONE in 10 minutes? It's at least 20 minutes for me.

I've found everything to be slow with VDP. Hell, disabling a job in the interface sometimes takes 10 minutes! Could just be our horrible environment though.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

cheese-cube posted:

I've found everything to be slow with VDP. Hell, disabling a job in the interface sometimes takes 10 minutes! Could just be our horrible environment though.

Yup. Sounds about right. We're not even a large environment. We have 2 hosts with 17 VMs split across them. Only using half a terabyte of storage on the VDP appliance. Despite that, we had to bump the memory usage on VDP to 8 gig instead of the 4 it defaults with. It's ridiculous.

Hilariously I updated to VDP 5.8 yesterday, and they removed the "estimated time to complete" message. Now it just says "starting VDP appliance systems" and sits there without any feedback to the user that it's doing anything at all for half an hour. A+ job there VMware.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
VirtualBox question:

How do I do the equivalent of the add cd/dvd drive & "leave empty" option on the command line?

I tried:

code:
vboxmanage storageattach "my-vm" --storagectl "IDE Controller" --port 0 --device 1 --type dvddrive --medium none
But it says:

"No storage device attached to device slot 1 on port 0 of controller 'IDE Controller'"

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

fletcher posted:

VirtualBox question:

How do I do the equivalent of the add cd/dvd drive & "leave empty" option on the command line?

I tried:

code:
vboxmanage storageattach "my-vm" --storagectl "IDE Controller" --port 0 --device 1 --type dvddrive --medium none
But it says:

"No storage device attached to device slot 1 on port 0 of controller 'IDE Controller'"

I'm just reading the manual, but it looks like you want "--medium emptrydrive", not "--medium none". None tries to delete an existing device.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Docjowles posted:

I'm just reading the manual, but it looks like you want "--medium emptrydrive", not "--medium none". None tries to delete an existing device.

That did the trick! Thanks!

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"
How do you all monitor your CPU Ready%? I periodically go through and check them, but think I need to do more. I am deploying VC Ops to start monitoring this better.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

TeMpLaR posted:

How do you all monitor your CPU Ready%? I periodically go through and check them, but think I need to do more. I am deploying VC Ops to start monitoring this better.

I use a custom dashboard in vCenter Ops to display the top 25 or so offenders.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
We're running an environment with about 40 virtual servers spread across 5 sites. Save for about 4 or 5 all our VMs are running Windows Server. At our smaller sites we're using Hyper-V, but our main office (4 hosts, 27 VMs) uses ESX.
I need someone to tell me that going Hyper-V at our main office is a bad idea, because I'm having trouble justifying the additional licensing and administrative hassle of maintaining two different types of environments. Please just tell me "more like Hyper Pee" or something so my brain can shut up about it.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I'm working migrating a lot of computing here to Eucalyptus. It's fantastic for anyone who uses AWS and really it takes maybe an hour to two from blank box to cloud controller (whereas I worked for 9 months getting OpenStack to a state other than "not working" without luck).

My issue comes in that we've got a reasonably large Windows infrastructure in AWS and to migrate that out, I need to find a good way to get a Windows image into the cloud (KVM base). I've tried importing from both Fusion and Virtual Box with failure. KVM doesn't have any kind of cool console like Hyper-V 2012 or VMWare so I can't see where in the bootup it's failing. Anyone have tips on getting this working?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

AtomD posted:

We're running an environment with about 40 virtual servers spread across 5 sites. Save for about 4 or 5 all our VMs are running Windows Server. At our smaller sites we're using Hyper-V, but our main office (4 hosts, 27 VMs) uses ESX.
I need someone to tell me that going Hyper-V at our main office is a bad idea, because I'm having trouble justifying the additional licensing and administrative hassle of maintaining two different types of environments. Please just tell me "more like Hyper Pee" or something so my brain can shut up about it.

What are you currently licensed for on the VMware-side?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

RevKrule posted:

I'm working migrating a lot of computing here to Eucalyptus. It's fantastic for anyone who uses AWS and really it takes maybe an hour to two from blank box to cloud controller (whereas I worked for 9 months getting OpenStack to a state other than "not working" without luck).

My issue comes in that we've got a reasonably large Windows infrastructure in AWS and to migrate that out, I need to find a good way to get a Windows image into the cloud (KVM base). I've tried importing from both Fusion and Virtual Box with failure. KVM doesn't have any kind of cool console like Hyper-V 2012 or VMWare so I can't see where in the bootup it's failing. Anyone have tips on getting this working?

Have you tried doing something like this ?

http://cssoss.wordpress.com/2010/05/04/ueceucalyptus-debugging-instances/

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

This actually looks like it'll work great. Thanks.

Also, it looks like buried in euca's documentation is a decent step through for installing directly on an NC. https://www.eucalyptus.com/docs/eucalyptus/3.3/user-guide/images_win.html#images_win
It's a lot more involved than I'd hoped but I'm certainly getting further with those two than I was before.

Jadus
Sep 11, 2003

AtomD posted:

Sorry to disappoint, Hyper-V is awesome. I've got a 2012 R2 two node cluster at my head office and it has been rock solid since 2008 R2 when I deployed it in 2010.

We're not even running System Center VMM yet, and it's still extremely easy to manage.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

RevKrule posted:

Eucalyptus just got bought, so its future is a little uncertain, sadly.

I'm not sure where you get the idea that KVM doesn't support a console, though. KVM doesn't, but libvirt does. Go add "<graphics type='vnc' autoport='yet'>" or some other options to gen_kvm_libvirt_xml (probably in /usr/share somewhere), and it'll add it to the generated libvirt XML for new guests, at which point you can use VNC normally, though the previous link should also be fine.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

evol262 posted:

Eucalyptus just got bought, so its future is a little uncertain, sadly.

I'm not sure where you get the idea that KVM doesn't support a console, though. KVM doesn't, but libvirt does. Go add "<graphics type='vnc' autoport='yet'>" or some other options to gen_kvm_libvirt_xml (probably in /usr/share somewhere), and it'll add it to the generated libvirt XML for new guests, at which point you can use VNC normally, though the previous link should also be fine.

Got bought and uncertain future but the CEO is staying on as head of cloud (all cloud) business. The move honestly could be seen just as easily as HP walking away from OpenStack as Euca being destroyed.

I haven't used KVM much before this honestly. Looking through online a lot of times people make a lot of assumptions over my head. It looks like yes I can attach to KVM via VNC using libvert but getting the proper information for applying this to Euca can be difficult.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

RevKrule posted:

Got bought and uncertain future but the CEO is staying on as head of cloud (all cloud) business. The move honestly could be seen just as easily as HP walking away from OpenStack as Euca being destroyed.

I haven't used KVM much before this honestly. Looking through online a lot of times people make a lot of assumptions over my head. It looks like yes I can attach to KVM via VNC using libvert but getting the proper information for applying this to Euca can be difficult.

It's far more likely that HP (who just launched an openstack-based cloud and contributes a fair amount of code -- they're not going to walk away) wants euca* compatibility with their offering and sees Eucalyptus as a good way to do it.

Eucalyptus (like Openstack) creates libvirt XML files for guests. These XML files are broadly equivalent to VMware's VMXes, in the sense that they're the configuration files which say "this storage bus is VirtIO, and here are the disks on it, and where the backing stores for thsoe disks can be found" (repeat for network, CPU, etc). Eucalyptus' gen_kvm_libvirt_xml is what spits out the libvirt XML for the guests it starts. I'm not sure how current this is, but it's it's very likely to look akin to this. Almost anything here should be able to be added to that template. Eucalyptus won't know anything about it, but for troubleshooting (or customization), you can do whatever you want with it.

Mulloy
Jan 3, 2005

I am your best friend's wife's sword student's current roommate.
How well does vmware work with rtp? I'm assuming the issues I see with high co stop values / jitter have to do with optimization or configuration, but I thought I'd ask whether it's something that can work well or of rtp is best handled bare metal.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Mulloy posted:

How well does vmware work with rtp? I'm assuming the issues I see with high co stop values / jitter have to do with optimization or configuration, but I thought I'd ask whether it's something that can work well or of rtp is best handled bare metal.
we run our call managers, voicemail servers, and conference bridges as VMs. Far more RTP trouble from lovely WAN links than from CPU or clock.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Mulloy posted:

Cisco deploys deploys voice on UCS, so I'd say it works fine.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

cheese-cube posted:

What are you currently licensed for on the VMware-side?

We've got 4 vSphere 5 Enterprise licenses and vCenter standard.

AtomD fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Sep 17, 2014

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Got an issue with the impi sensors on one of my hosts.

Its an HP DL360p gen8 with the HP esxi 5.1 image on it.

If I look in the log its has 4 errors

Power supplies are both fine, its just can no longer read any of the statuses from the sensors.

Anyone have any ideas how to fix this ?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Get a new PSU from HP?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

luminalflux posted:

Get a new PSU from HP?

quote:

Power supplies are both fine

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

jre posted:

Got an issue with the impi sensors on one of my hosts.

Its an HP DL360p gen8 with the HP esxi 5.1 image on it.

If I look in the log its has 4 errors

Power supplies are both fine, its just can no longer read any of the statuses from the sensors.

I would call vmware to figure it out and then never remember what they did.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

jre posted:

What's in the IML when you log into iLO?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Cidrick posted:

What's in the IML when you log into iLO?

Nothing other than the messages from the install where they tested the supplies.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Ah, I thought the PSUs were fine, but filling the IML log. nvm.

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"
Setup my first production vSAN. Hardest part was modifying the drives to show as SSD's. I like vSAN so far but I wish there were more indications of what it is doing. Maybe I'm missing something, but this small amount of monitoring options is strange.

uhmazing
May 22, 2004

i want to be your space invader

jre posted:

Nothing other than the messages from the install where they tested the supplies.

That is a false positive. Update your bios and firmwares. I had 12 bl460c's all reporting the same poo poo until I updated to the latest for all.

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"

uhmazing posted:

That is a false positive. Update your bios and firmwares. I had 12 bl460c's all reporting the same poo poo until I updated to the latest for all.

same here.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

AtomD posted:

We've got 4 vSphere 5 Enterprise licenses and vCenter standard.

drat, I was expecting an Essentials license! In this case I'd honestly do a one-to-one comparison of the feature-set that you get with you current VMware licensing against Hyper-V. It would also be worth mentioning that that if you wanted to move to Hyper-V while retaining a somewhat-similar feature-set you'd have to get Server 2012 R2 licensing for the hypervisors which would mean additional expenditure and/or training.

Honestly though I'm quite biased towards VMware and it would be really helpful to hear the opinion of a Hyper-V advocate if there are any in this thread (Dilbert as gently caress probably assimilated them to gain their knowledge).

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

cheese-cube posted:

drat, I was expecting an Essentials license! In this case I'd honestly do a one-to-one comparison of the feature-set that you get with you current VMware licensing against Hyper-V. It would also be worth mentioning that that if you wanted to move to Hyper-V while retaining a somewhat-similar feature-set you'd have to get Server 2012 R2 licensing for the hypervisors which would mean additional expenditure and/or training.

Honestly though I'm quite biased towards VMware and it would be really helpful to hear the opinion of a Hyper-V advocate if there are any in this thread (Dilbert as gently caress probably assimilated them to gain their knowledge).

There's a hyper-v developer here somewhere. I don't remember who, though.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I figure this is the best place of any to ask this. I'm building a lab in Workstation 10 to prepare for my VCP. the catch is that this is all self-contained in one laptop. They all need to connect as host only, for me that's vmnet5. It is set with no DNS/DHCP and on the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet.

They all will reside on a single subnet for now except for the SAN traffic that will eventually be run through it's own vswitch.

I'm getting ahead of myself though. To enable future VLAN integration I need to run it through a router I have set up through GNS3. To do this I connected it through a cloud and configured it to use vmnet5.

Here's the thing, I can't ping anything within this host only network. Back when I had an ESXi running DHCP I had no trouble, but now that I'm statically assigning the addresses I'm having trouble.

Now first though might be the addressing, however they are all class c with a /24 mask. The only two devices I can get that can ping each other are the 2012 Server (.112) and the actual physical laptop (.1)

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

OhDearGodNo posted:

I figure this is the best place of any to ask this. I'm building a lab in Workstation 10 to prepare for my VCP. the catch is that this is all self-contained in one laptop. They all need to connect as host only, for me that's vmnet5. It is set with no DNS/DHCP and on the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet.

They all will reside on a single subnet for now except for the SAN traffic that will eventually be run through it's own vswitch.

I'm getting ahead of myself though. To enable future VLAN integration I need to run it through a router I have set up through GNS3. To do this I connected it through a cloud and configured it to use vmnet5.

Here's the thing, I can't ping anything within this host only network. Back when I had an ESXi running DHCP I had no trouble, but now that I'm statically assigning the addresses I'm having trouble.

Now first though might be the addressing, however they are all class c with a /24 mask. The only two devices I can get that can ping each other are the 2012 Server (.112) and the actual physical laptop (.1)

Are your guests running inside nested ESXi? Is promiscuous mode on?

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
We wound up crashing two ESXi hosts yesterday due to the E1000 bug. I patched all four hosts to 5.5 U2, and started to notice that we were dropping a ton of frames at the inside interface of our firewall - to the point that we couldn't even connect to the hosts with SSH. Turns out the upgrade re-enabled what I can only guess was a disabled syslogd service (the hosts were set up by my predecessor) that was configured to log to an IP that our core switch didn't know about, so it tried its default route. We use other methods of monitoring and I had no idea that syslog was ever set up. The firewall couldn't handle the traffic and stopped breathing. Any insight as to why this happened? We've done several ESXi upgrades since his departure and never ran into this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jadus
Sep 11, 2003

cheese-cube posted:

AtomD, is there anything specific you wanted to know about Hyper-v?