Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Koalas March posted:

They're keeping the cartoon cast iirc.

So they will have one in the justice league movie and one on titans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

That's what's going to happen with The Flash.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

Pretty sure they still haven't actually confirmed Cyborg in Batman/Superman.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

muscles like this? posted:

Pretty sure they still haven't actually confirmed Cyborg in Batman/Superman.

Yes they have, Ray Fisher was cast

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

ToastyPotato posted:

At the moment no. It would probably be in the best interest of the show if it did though, since they would have access to more characters, unless WB legit doesn't care about having multiple actors playing different versions of the same character in projects they are spending millions to make.

How would they have access to more characters if they would share a continuity? If anything, it would actually limited them. I aslo don't see how it would be in their best interest. And WB legitly does not give a flying gently caress about the intercountinuity of their shows.

e X fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Sep 13, 2014

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

e X posted:

How would they have access to more characters if they would share a continuity? If anything, it would actually limited them. I aslo don't see how it would be in their best interest. And WB legitly does not give a flying gently caress about the intercountinuity of their shows.

Because the shows would be made by the same company with characters owned by the same company and if they inhabited the same shared universe there would literally be no reason that they couldn't use a given character outside of not feeling like paying the actor to appear on a different show? It would be in their best interest because then you don't have random audience members wondering why two or three different people are playing slightly different versions of the same character at the same time, potentially.

If you notice, I have left out Constantine in almost all of this, because that is a show that could totally exist in its own world without really confusing general audiences. Batman stuff is very much a part of Arrow already, and Arrow is crossing over with The Flash. Gotham has nothing to do with anything, but obviously will feature Bat characters. The movie is heavily centered around Batman and the soon to be Justice League. Teen Titans wants Nightwing as the leader/main character, who is a Batman character, and the principle Titan villain is Deathstroke, who has been a central character on Arrow for quite some time and Cyborg, currently a central JL member was a central character to the Titans as well.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ToastyPotato posted:

Because the shows would be made by the same company with characters owned by the same company and if they inhabited the same shared universe there would literally be no reason that they couldn't use a given character outside of not feeling like paying the actor to appear on a different show? It would be in their best interest because then you don't have random audience members wondering why two or three different people are playing slightly different versions of the same character at the same time, potentially.

If you notice, I have left out Constantine in almost all of this, because that is a show that could totally exist in its own world without really confusing general audiences. Batman stuff is very much a part of Arrow already, and Arrow is crossing over with The Flash. Gotham has nothing to do with anything, but obviously will feature Bat characters. The movie is heavily centered around Batman and the soon to be Justice League. Teen Titans wants Nightwing as the leader/main character, who is a Batman character, and the principle Titan villain is Deathstroke, who has been a central character on Arrow for quite some time and Cyborg, currently a central JL member was a central character to the Titans as well.

No other shows are using Nightwing or Cyborg right now though, and I don't think audiences will have a problem accept that Cyborg is a different guy on TV, unless you're seriously suggesting they actually pay Ray Fisher to play Cyborg in the Titans show as well, which would be silly for the very "confusing" reason you gave. The only real problem is Nightwing being so closely related to Batman, but honestly I don't think it's that much of a big deal. Everyone is making comparisons to the old cartoon, which is silly because it's a cartoon, but also to be expected because it's the only adaptation of the Titans in non-print media. However one thing I think is important in the cartoon is that they used Robin, went for 5 seasons and alluded to Batman like twice. It'll be very different in a live-action show for actual adults because the cartoon also had the distinction/possible advantage of the Titans never having civilian identities. But Nightwing is a character I can see working pretty well outside of Batman. As long as they get across, somehow, that "Hey, Nightwing was Robin now he has a new name", everybody will know who he is and how he's been trained and then they never have to mention Batman at all.

I think you're suggesting WB should try to start some sort of cohesive shared TV continuity, which might be nice I guess? But ultimately what would be the point, to make it like actual comics where characters from a more popular show can pop in to boost another show's ratings? As long as the shows don't start trying to make versions of each others' characters, like Arrow or Flash introducing their own Cyborg, then I think viewers will be just fine.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

That's exactly what people are suggesting, though, that Titans will want to use Speedy/Arsenal/Impulse/Kid Flash or something, but those characters already exist on Arrow/Flash, so rather than just having an actor cross over, they have to cast a new actor in the same role or just avoid using the character altogether.

I hope they are in the same universe just so we can get more of Manu :swoon:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Yeah. They either have to completely tie their hands and not use characters that are already on other shows, which is A LOT, while also preventing other shows from using characters that they want, which is dumb, or they will just have multiple versions of the same character.

You can't give general audiences too much credit. Do you understand how many people have honestly asked why Spider-Man is not in Avengers, or hoping that he will be in the series soon? They don't care to understand basic ownership and copyrights, so they are probably going to have a lot of dumb questions about why Batman never shows up in Titans or why there are no Batman villains in Titans or why the villains that do show up are so different from Gotham or how Gotham and Titans seem to take place at the same time, etc, etc and that is made worse when they find out that unlike Marvel, those everything is weird because WB simply doesn't care enough to not make it weird and not because of actual rights issues.

Of course they will figure it out eventually, it isn't that hard, but will they be taken out of the show by that point? When you have Sam Jackson and other guest stars on SHIELD, from the actual movies, and these scattered DC shows can't even share amongst themselves, general audiences are going eventually shrug their shoulders and say "this is dumb why can't they ____ like SHIELD or Arrow/Flash" and stop watching, even if the show is actually pretty good. TV audiences are ridiculously difficult to please or keep pleased.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ToastyPotato posted:

You can't give general audiences too much credit. Do you understand how many people have honestly asked why Spider-Man is not in Avengers, or hoping that he will be in the series soon? They don't care to understand basic ownership and copyrights, so they are probably going to have a lot of dumb questions about why Batman never shows up in Titans or why there are no Batman villains in Titans or why the villains that do show up are so different from Gotham or how Gotham and Titans seem to take place at the same time, etc, etc and that is made worse when they find out that unlike Marvel, those everything is weird because WB simply doesn't care enough to not make it weird and not because of actual rights issues.

The people who don't know about comic books are more confused about why Batman isn't in the Avengers. Most others don't care. You are imagining a super narrow demographic which:

1) Knows enough about comics to be understand who fits under what company's umbrella and which characters normally cross-over which each other, but
2) is still too stupid to understand that a show on the CW can't cross over with a show on TNT.

I just don't see it really being as big an issue as you think. At the very least the fact that they are different channels is a more "visible" difference than with movies where you would have to know the studio at the very least. In short, if they are savvy enough to know that Deathstroke is a traditionally Teen Titan's enemy, they should be savvy enough to figure out why the same actor can't play him on two different channels.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ToastyPotato posted:

Yeah. They either have to completely tie their hands and not use characters that are already on other shows, which is A LOT, while also preventing other shows from using characters that they want, which is dumb, or they will just have multiple versions of the same character.

Of course they will figure it out eventually, it isn't that hard, but will they be taken out of the show by that point? When you have Sam Jackson and other guest stars on SHIELD, from the actual movies, and these scattered DC shows can't even share amongst themselves, general audiences are going eventually shrug their shoulders and say "this is dumb why can't they ____ like SHIELD or Arrow/Flash" and stop watching, even if the show is actually pretty good. TV audiences are ridiculously difficult to please or keep pleased.

I don't think people will stop watching a show they like because it doesn't have the right guest appearances. They might talk around the water-cooler (or lunch-table, whatever channel it ends up on I expect the target demographic for a Teen Titans show to be similar to Arrow and Flash) about how cool it'd be if Christian Bale or Ben Affleck had a cameo on Teen Titans, but if they like the show enough to care about that kind of thing, they aren't going to stop watching because it doesn't happen.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Scott Glenn has been cast as Stick in the Daredevil series.

He even looks like Stick.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
That is dreamcasting 101.

(and the worst possible picture of Scott Glenn)

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

DynamicSloth posted:

That is dreamcasting 101.

If there is one thing Marvel consistently does well, it's casting.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Love Scott Glenn--perfect casting.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

mikeraskol posted:

By this point it's almost self-sustaining; they've got enough money and clout to throw around, and so many serious actors have done comic book movies that it's hardly a genre ghetto. It's funny seeing something like American Hustle and realising that all of the leads have played superheros.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

By this point it's almost self-sustaining; they've got enough money and clout to throw around, and so many serious actors have done comic book movies that it's hardly a genre ghetto. It's funny seeing something like American Hustle and realising that all of the leads have played superheros.

Amy Adams hasn't. :colbert: Lois is just a regular hero.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think the happiest Daredevil could make me is if they just use the TGRI canister prop from TMNTII in the origin story.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Sure, the money and clout helps pull in big names. But what I'm saying is they seem to consistently pull in the right names, even for smaller roles like Stick.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

mikeraskol posted:

To be honest, they could have done a better job with Hawkeye. Renner seems a bit too old for the role.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Renner is a great character actor, he's a terrible leading man. The MCU Hawkeye seems to be more in the leading man mode, but if they chose to do something interesting with the character Renner could be great.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
Walker and Deena:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

She's got the look down right. He does not so much.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She should be wearing a dumb shirt, but otherwise yeah.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Endless Mike posted:

She's got the look down right. He does not so much.
Yeah, about that

quote:

For example, the Christian on the page is much more stoic than the up-tempo character that Copley plays.
(source)

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

I don't know how anybody could expect Christian to be anything other than a very camp character with a weird accent after Copley's casting.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A kind of dull character who doesn't speak much wouldn't work on TV anyway.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Waterhaul posted:

I don't know how anybody could expect Christian to be anything other than a very camp character with a weird accent after Copley's casting.

I have no idea who he is.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

The lead in District 9, the psycho villain in Elysium, and Murdock in The A-Team.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Endless Mike posted:

He's South African Nicholas Cage. But with talent.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

She should be wearing a dumb shirt, but otherwise yeah.

I dunno, early Deena was kinda goofy and snarky as much as she was aggressive and short-tempered. Her introduction is a 3 page monologue (that HAD to have been the audition piece) which is basically a cop stand-up bit.

Edit: I hope they keep the 'did you gently caress on a flag?' joke. Probably my favourite comedic bit in the comics, having just re-read the early arcs.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 16, 2014

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Looks like Fox is interested in making a Lucifer TV show. While I think it's awesome to have some Vertigo stuff go to TV, I still wish HBO or Showcase or someone else would make the shows.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Eh, other than the whole "Holy poo poo, they're making a show about the devil" there really isn't too much in Lucifer that wouldn't fly on TV.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

James D'Arcy has been cast as Edwin Jarvis in the Agent Carter series.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Eh, other than the whole "Holy poo poo, they're making a show about the devil" there really isn't too much in Lucifer that wouldn't fly on TV.

Yeah, there isnt much sex or cursing, and the violence from what I remember is less than your average prime time police procedural. They need to get the sfx people from Hannibal in if they plan on showing Mazakeen with her mask.

The only real problem is that they'll either completely drop tons of good stuff or change it dramatically because for a comic series called Lucifer, he doesn't show up as much as you'd expect.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Nick Tarabay (Ashur on Spartacus) is the next Spartacus alum to land on Arrow. He'll be playing Captain Boomerang and will be in 3x07 and 3x08 which is the crossover episode.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=123011

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, there isnt much sex or cursing, and the violence from what I remember is less than your average prime time police procedural. They need to get the sfx people from Hannibal in if they plan on showing Mazakeen with her mask.

The only real problem is that they'll either completely drop tons of good stuff or change it dramatically because for a comic series called Lucifer, he doesn't show up as much as you'd expect.

I have to imagine they'll do something different with Mazikeen just to make it so she speaks clearly from the beginning.

Deadpool posted:

Nick Tarabay (Ashur on Spartacus) is the next Spartacus alum to land on Arrow. He'll be playing Captain Boomerang and will be in 3x07 and 3x08 which is the crossover episode.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=123011

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I have to imagine they'll do something different with Mazikeen just to make it so she speaks clearly from the beginning.

They should play it like Chewbacca and make her completely unintelligible, but all the chatacters on screen understand her every word.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
This was posted in TVIV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

"gently caress you, I'm Deathstroke." :smug: