Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Whoa, I went back five pages and saw not a single mention of Galaxy Trucker. Y'all nutterbars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"
Galaxy Trucker looks like a must own for me, hopefully it's a purchase retail game. Having fun with Metal Slug Defense but I wish I could just pay $10 and have all the medals and hooziwatsits removed :(

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Given that it's a board game, I feel pretty confident in saying that Galaxy Trucker is going to be a pay-once premium app. I'd expect a price point somewhere between $5-10 if most iOS board games are anything to go by. It does have a couple of expansions, though, so if any of those are making it into the release version they might end up as IAPs.

Also it looks loving awesome.

KamikazeJim
Sep 15, 2006

oh fuck are you seeing this bomb man. ARE YOU SEEING THIS?
For those who don't know about Galaxy Trucker, lemme give you the tl;dr summary when it was described to me: Galaxy Trucker is a game where you play a timed round of Pipe Dream to build a rickety-rear end space ship, and then ride your shitbox into space to play The Intergalactic Oregon Trail, which hates you and wants you to die.

The game is amazing and I'm excited for the iOS release.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

KamikazeJim posted:

For those who don't know about Galaxy Trucker, lemme give you the tl;dr summary when it was described to me: Galaxy Trucker is a game where you play a timed round of Pipe Dream to build a rickety-rear end space ship, and then ride your shitbox into space to play The Intergalactic Oregon Trail, which hates you and wants you to die.

The game is amazing and I'm excited for the iOS release.

Goddamn, that sounds excellent.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
Foursaken released Phantom Rift a week ago and it's Battle Network with wizards.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

Foursaken released Phantom Rift a week ago and it's Battle Network with wizards.

Yeah it is pretty fun. The combat is a ton of fun and the dark souls esque PVP adds some excitement. Currently your movement is slower than someone walking through honey, but they fixed that with the next update. It is pretty tough though.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I have played a few hours of Swipes and Slashes and I love it.

I'm curious if the movement speed is all that's needed to fix Phantom Rift, but am willing to give it a chance.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

spider wisdom posted:

Whoa, I went back five pages and saw not a single mention of Galaxy Trucker. Y'all nutterbars.

Son of a bitch, dont get us excited if its not out yet. :(

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

xian posted:

I have played a few hours of Swipes and Slashes and I love it.

I'm curious if the movement speed is all that's needed to fix Phantom Rift, but am willing to give it a chance.

If you read this touch arcade review he basically just complains about the movement speed and how ugly the game is. http://toucharcade.com/2014/09/16/phantom-rift-review/

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I read it. I like the graphic style, personally. I think the UI is a little bit annoying in the battles, but nothing I'd put the game down over. It's just, something about it failed to grab me.

I've played so much more Kapsula than Phantom Rift. Totally different games, obviously, but they came out on the same week, so that's I am judging. To me, it's one game's core mechanic working, despite it's flaws. It's another's not-quite-working and not being sure if the game's obvious flaws (move speed, etc) have anything to do with it.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

tuyop posted:

Goddamn, that sounds excellent.

It is, although to get the full Galaxy Trucker experience you need to be playing with several other people in the same room so you can yell gently caress! poo poo! at each other when half of your ship falls off because you couldn't find the one god damned connector you needed to make it perfect.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The rear end Stooge posted:

It is, although to get the full Galaxy Trucker experience you need to be playing with several other people in the same room so you can yell gently caress! poo poo! at each other when half of your ship falls off because you couldn't find the one god damned connector you needed to make it perfect.

You really, really do. It's almost like the board game version of FTL (almost), except for the very important ship building aspect.

I'm horrible at building ships, and still love the game.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
Does anyone know if the Galaxy Trucker app will include pass and play, or is it just online multiplayer?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I can't see how pass and play would really make sense - a key part of the game is the shipbuilding phase, where everyone is drawing from a shared pile of tiles in real time. I guess you could have a sort of local multiplayer if everyone there had a tablet, but I think that's probably pushing it a bit.

And yeah, Galaxy Trucker is going to be a day one purchase for me - I've got the board game and I love it to bits. I'm curious to see whether they let you make mistakes in the shipbuilding phase - it's always a wonderful moment when you realise someone hosed up one tiny connector and then suddenly their immaculate ship falls into two immaculate halves...

KamikazeJim
Sep 15, 2006

oh fuck are you seeing this bomb man. ARE YOU SEEING THIS?
If there is pass and play it will likely be with the Action Point based ship building (where players take turns spending a pool of action points to draw and place tiles) being used in the asynchronous multiplayer.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

When you say Battle Network, do you mean Mega Man: Battle Network, or something different?

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

Klungar posted:

When you say Battle Network, do you mean Mega Man: Battle Network, or something different?

Looks like Megaman Battle Network to me but with ugly graphics.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
It plays kind of like it too except it's pretty terrible. Walking speed and UI are pretty bad.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Tote yer goats. Goat Simulator is now on iOS, for $4.99.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Kheldarn posted:

Well, there goes a perfectly productive day down the tubes. I spent so much time on this at GDC, it's awesome.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
Updated the OP current/upcoming releases with Galaxy Trucker, Goat Simulator, and Phantom Rift.

I posted about Galaxy Trucker in the iOS Board Games thread but totally forgot to cross post over here. That board game is so much fun. It'll be fantastic on iOS, app looks slick.

I had no idea Goat Simulator was coming out. This is almost beside the point but, how are the controls?

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.

Zigmidge posted:

It plays kind of like it too except it's pretty terrible. Walking speed and UI are pretty bad.

They've fixed the speed for the next patch and I don't see what's wrong with the UI.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Kheldarn posted:

How is this? Good port?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Galaxy Trucker sounds pretty great. Will keep an eye out for it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

teacup posted:

How is this? Good port?

Even a bad port would be in the spirit of the game.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Anybody excited about something dropping tonight?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
What's with this Metal thing and should I care as a casual consumer of iOS games?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

tuyop posted:

What's with this Metal thing and should I care as a casual consumer of iOS games?
Better graphics in games, eventually.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

It's an API for lower-level GPU access. Being lower level than OpenGL ES means more work for application developers, but advanced developers (and developers using a game engine that supports Metal) will be able to use it to make games with better graphics.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Sep 18, 2014

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I'm curious to see who actually uses it though, because unless you're willing to exclusively target A7 and A8 devices, you still need to maintain an OpenGL ES pipeline for older devices (not to mention Android).

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

New pirate themed adventure from Inkle:

Down Among the Dead Men
https://appsto.re/gb/Yln21.i

Not going to lie; I'm a little peeved at it not being Sorcery! 3 but I'm up for anything from them.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'm curious to see who actually uses it though, because unless you're willing to exclusively target A7 and A8 devices, you still need to maintain an OpenGL ES pipeline for older devices (not to mention Android).

EA is doing an iOS port of their Frostbite engine, UE4 will probably get Metal support before long, and Unity3D might. Hell, even Cocos2D is working on an optional Metal renderer. That's why I specifically mentioned game engines: if the engine supports it, the game can use it without any (or much) extra effort on the part of the game's developers.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Sep 18, 2014

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

The rear end Stooge posted:

Once, while playing the board game at my friend's house, I built my entire ship upside-down because I hadn't paid attention to the orientation of my ship board.

:(

It was not a good round for me.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I would appreciate anyone who can compare 6 and 6 plus regarding iOS gaming sharing their input. I'm leaning towards plus but am nervous about the size!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Apocron posted:

I would appreciate anyone who can compare 6 and 6 plus regarding iOS gaming sharing their input. I'm leaning towards plus but am nervous about the size!

Well I don't think anyone actually has either of those phones yet, but I'm pretty sure that the answer is going to be "it depends on what kinds of games you play." As it is, they'll both have the same games for now and ones that play well one-handed will probably be better on the 6, but ones with detailed, tiny UIs will play better on the 6 plus. If you play a lot of the latter, you'd probably prefer them on either iPad anyway.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Wait, Metal doesn't support the A6?

TTTTIIIIIIIIMMMMMMM :argh:

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Apocron posted:

You're in the games thread so: Bigger is better.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

poemdexter posted:

Me and a couple other goons released a game not too long ago called Swipe & Slash. We have some left over promo codes from a recent press push that are about to expire in 6 days so thought you guys/gals might be interested. Enjoy!

Bought it, fun game. I've been playing it quite a bit the last day or so. That said, it doesn't seem like there is any point to gear that isn't +damage and xDamage. If you stack that, you pretty much can kill the majority of critters with a 1xSword tile. Occasionally need a 2x or 3x tile for bosses.

Gold gear seemed pointless, monsters dropped more and more gold. So it felt better to just kill more monsters through damage items.
Healing and Health seemed pointless because I could kill everything in a single round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

xian posted:

Anybody excited about something dropping tonight?

Smash Bros 3ds demo at midnight :v: