Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Do you ever wish that waiting for the train was more exciting? Do you find yourself wanting to take more intellectually stimulating shits? Then you've come to right place.

This is the iOS Games Megathread about gaming on iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch. Got an Android device? :frogout:

iOS is the fastest-growing, most exciting platform for games anywhere. There is a vast amount of absolute rubbish on the App Store, but there are also outstanding innovative games if you know where to look.

:confused: I just got an iOS device, what games should I get? :confused:

The App Store has been running since July 2008, which means that there's a hell of a lot of great games on there already in every conceivable genre.

FTL: Faster Than Light: This is an iPad-only roguelike spaceship sim that you might have played on PC. It's been ported to iPad with a super-nice touch interface and it's loving awesome.

Plague Inc.: A pandemic simulation where you evolve your own virus/bacteria/zombie plague to destroy all of mankind. Perfect for neck-bearded misanthropes like you.

The Room and The Room 2: A puzzle game where you manipulate 3D objects to escape from the titular rooms. Way better than it sounds, won shitloads of awards and probably makes better use of the touchscreen than 99% of touchscreen games.

Game Dev Story: The game studio tycoon simulator that made Kairosoft famous in the West. They've been cranking out lovely semi-sequels to this game for years but the original is still fun, and if you've never played a Kairosoft game then you're in for a treat.

Out There: Arty French game where you float around in space feeling lonely and cannibalising your ship for parts to find a way home. Sounds kind of like FTL, but it ain't. Beautiful graphics & music and hard as hell.

Battle of the Bulge: A World War II war game with online multiplayer and probably the best interface/visual design that a war game has ever had. Single-player as well.

Mikey Shorts: Instant classic 2D platformer with great controls and a huge amount of levels.

Tiny Tower, Pocket Planes, Pocket Trains, Disco Zoo: Games (OR ARE THEY) where you push a button, wait a while, and push a button again. Really nice for wasting ten minutes or an hour. Or two hours. Or ten. gently caress. Goon-made.

King of Dragon Pass: Choose-your-own-adventure meets Civilization. Lead your clan of Bronze Age settlers into Dragon Pass and unite the warring clans there into a tribe. Don't trust those loving duck-men.

Infinity Blade series: Long-running fantasy action games with pretty good touch controls, lots of customization, and maybe the nicest graphics on iOS.

Puzzle & Dragons: Free-to-play Skinner box that combines Bejeweled, slot machines, and weeaboo. Has it's own thread, go talk about this poo poo there.

Wayward Souls: 2D Zelda-style action adventure game with procedurally generated levels, tight controls, hats. Goon-made.

80 Days: Recently released to great acclaim in this thread. A choose-your-own-adventure gamebook loosely patterned on Jules Verne's novel. Travel around the world on airships and mechanical elephants seducing men, women, and animals and solve mysteries, possibly earning the admiration of your taciturn boss.

Ascension: Looks like the game kids at your junior high got beat up for playing (because it is) but it's actually an easy-to-pick-up "deck-building" game with a robust multiplayer community.

Carcassonne: Excellent adaptation of the popular Euro board game of the same name.

Threes!: Frequently ripped-off but never duplicated puzzler. It's about math-sex and numbers that talk to each other when you make them do it.

Battleheart: Legacy: Fantasy hack and slash game that people seem to like but I never played so here it is I guess?

Hoplite: Tactical puzzle game with randomized levels and high score leaderboards that is way better than it looks and may cause you to throw your phone out the window of a moving car.

See what I mean about there being a lot of great games? Read the thread for more recommendations, or just ask us. God knows the last thread had some pleb asking for recommendations on pretty much every page.

:goonsay: Essential Sites for Reading About Games (because you don't do that enough already) :goonsay:

AppShopper: Completely indispensable guide for tracking updates and price drops.

TouchArcade: The oldest, most frequently updated iOS games site with broad coverage of almost anything iOS games-related from hardware and peripherals to the games themselves. Arguably well-deserved reputation for giving good reviews to just about everything.

Pocket Gamer: This British :britain: games site covers everything handheld including PS Vita and stuff like that but their iOS games coverage is robust and their reviews are great.

Gamezebo: Another site that covers more than just iOS games, but it's mostly iOS. Recently redesigned and is probably the sexiest mobile games site around right now.

Pocket Tactics: Don't be fooled by the name, it covers more than just tactical games. Smart reviews, light-hearted tone, but only updates a few times a day. The OP's personal favorite. :wink:

SA's own iOS Boardgames Thread: A whole thread specifically for board games like Pandemic and Carcassonne that have made their way to iOS.

:eng101: Frequently Asked Questions :eng101:

What's iOS Universal mean?
That means that the game (theoretically) runs equally well on iPads and iPhones. Some games are iPad-only and won't run on an iPhone at all, but iPhone-only games can be run on an iPad pretty much fine. The vast majority of games these days are universal, so you'll usually only run into this with older stuff.

I've read that this new game is in "soft-launch". WTF is that?
Devs will sometimes release a game in one or two countries' App Stores for testing purposes, usually Canada and/or New Zealand. Typically a global launch will follow a few weeks later. If you're absolutely desperate to play a game that's in soft-launch and you're in the wrong country, there's a step-by-step guide for fooling iTunes into thinking you're a Kiwi/Canuck right here on Pocket Gamer.

Mandatory Assembly fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
:slick: Recent releases goons are talking about in this thread :slick:

Holy poo poo it's Goat Simulator
App Store Link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvWGLcdI8o8

Phantom Rift
App Store Link
TouchArcade review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8omKg6qW7ho

Tiny Tower Vegas
App Store Link
Dedicated thread coming (?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04b9pmNUqGU

Motorsport Manager
App Store Link
Pocket Tactics review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrVZ3spwFk4

:siren: September 2014: Upcoming games to be stoked about :siren:

Galaxy Trucker
Pocket Tactics article

The Sailor's Dream
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ht8jVEvoRc

Mandatory Assembly fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 17, 2014

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
Reserved just in case...

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
Okay, so that's the new OP. What else does it need? Any obvious questions for the FAQ? How about more cool upcoming games, because that section is pretty sad with just Motorsport Manager in it.

Good call.
vvvvvvvvv

Mandatory Assembly fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 20, 2014

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Add a link to the iOS boardgame thread and the best games on iOS; Carcassonne, Hearthstone, and Ascension.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3548351

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

UncleSmoothie posted:

Okay, so that's the new OP. What else does it need? Any more games (within reason or this could go on forever) for the recommended list? Any obvious questions for the FAQ? How about more cool upcoming games, because that section is pretty sad with just Motorsport Manager in it.

Good call.
vvvvvvvvv

Mention Simogo, goddamn you.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

UncleSmoothie posted:

How about more cool upcoming games, because that section is pretty sad with just Motorsport Manager in it.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
Oh poo poo, how could I forget about Tiny Tower Vegas? And Simogo, yeah that was a big oversight.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Just in time for this thread, I was notified by Apple that our big Bungle! v1.2 Music & Science content update is live! Click that link to see the changes but we've added eight new jobs, a new jobs tracker menu, and fixed a few small bugs.

If you like fun games and want to help support goon devs (ie: me) please check it out!

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 20, 2014

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Would throw out a shout for Battleheart: Legacy, Hoplite, Threes!, and Duet.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
Okay, that's a shitload of recommendations now. I'm gonna leave that list as is and people can read the thread for more. I'll keep the upcoming games post current every week or so.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
The Ace Attorney Dual Destinies port for iOS is awesome. Everything looks great and the UI is extremely well thought out, I would say it's a straight up better experience than playing it on 3DS.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Adventure Time Ski Safari is probably worth a dollar of fun. I played it on a off for 3-4 days and deleted it. Easy, simple and not a lot of depth. But you can't ask for much for $1.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

All your links go to the British iTunes! :911:

Seriously though, nice OP.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah this op is pretty good. Maybe add in that you can set your iOS to decline all iap, for parents or people scared of free games in general.

And that if none of your game's sound works, then your device is probably on mute mode. Course you have to be pretty dumb to do that.it took me a month to figure out why that was happening :negative:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Thanks for the new thread! looks great.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"
Battleheart Legacy question is the ninja crit cool down passive the only one like that in the game?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Dvlos posted:

Battleheart Legacy question is the ninja crit cool down passive the only one like that in the game?

Yeah and its completely broken. It is the best passive and can make you literary impossible to kill.

Wizard does have a 10% faster cooldown passive.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
Please allow me to mention GOTY 2013, 868-HACK, on the first page. It is a super brainy roguelike which is exquisitely condensed (but not simplified) for your phone.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Yodzilla posted:

Just in time for this thread, I was notified by Apple that our big Bungle! v1.2 Music & Science
Link is broken, FYI.

There should probably be an iPad specific section in the OP, since some games are iPad only:

• Everyday Genius: SquareLogic: It's like sudoku except it's actually a ridiculously good logic puzzle game. Has a drat near endless amount of content.
  • Frozen Synapse: futuristic simultaneous turn based combat game where you and your opponent plan your turns, then they happen at the same time
  • Hearthstone: Blizzard's Magic. It's decent and doesn't necessarily require cash to be thrown at it.
  • SpaceChem: chemistry themed programming puzzle game that will hurt you
  • iPACROSS: picross for iOS
  • Brogue: Old-school roguelike

Other than that, for deckbuilding games, Sol Forge is really good, doesn't require you to buy IAP, and is universal now.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

duckfarts posted:

Link is broken, FYI.

Yeah it would help if I added the .com :downs:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
For games in the OP, I'd suggest Brave Frontier up with Puzzle and Dragon:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3635116

Lot of similar mechanics but the combat is more a turn based with individual units rather than a combined single entity like your party for PAD. You might hate PAD and like BF, or vice versa, or end up playing them both :retrogames:

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

duckfarts posted:

Everyday Genius: SquareLogic: It's like sudoku except it's actually a ridiculously good logic puzzle game. Has a drat near endless amount of content.

Thanks for listing this! I didn't even know there was an iPad version. It had been on my Steam wish list for the longest time but they removed the ability to purchase it a year or two ago. I only realized now that they put it back up on Steam a couple of months ago, but the iPad version is cheaper ($1) and is portable.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

ihatepants posted:

Thanks for listing this! I didn't even know there was an iPad version. It had been on my Steam wish list for the longest time but they removed the ability to purchase it a year or two ago. I only realized now that they put it back up on Steam a couple of months ago, but the iPad version is cheaper ($1) and is portable.
The downside is that the method for removing candidates is double-tapping, which you can easily gently caress up, so just try not to be :spergin: about getting a ~perfect game~ and you'll be fine.

Craftics
Jan 31, 2006

fuckin yeah
Not enough love here for Cards & Castles. It's a combination of Hearthstone (kind of), Card Hunter, and Hero Academy. Try it out next time Hearthstone makes you want to throw your iPad into the ocean.

Cards & Castles on iOS
Cards & Castles Forums

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Is this the thread to talk ports on iOS?

Because the Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies port is loving awesome so far. The first case is free, it looks gorgeous, and the interface is really well designed.

Which is amazing after how bad the initial attempts at porting the old PW games were

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

Is this the thread to talk ports on iOS?

Because the Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies port is loving awesome so far. The first case is free, it looks gorgeous, and the interface is really well designed.

Which is amazing after how bad the initial attempts at porting the old PW games were

Yeah it's mind boggling how much better the DD port is after the disappointment that was the HD Trilogy. I've only finished the first day of the free case and I'm already very impressed.

e: grammar fix

IncendiaC fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Aug 20, 2014

xarg
Sep 17, 2008

IF A MAN DRINK LIKE THAT AND HE DONT EAT HE IS GOING TO DIE
Clash of clans: Known as the game where its developers print money and rule the world. Real-time simcity simulator except you get to raid other villages, stomp bad reddit clans and post about it in our thread full of coc.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
It's probably a good idea to sort the games, like FTL, that are iPad only to the bottom under a header like iPad Only.

Sounds like lots of work, though.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

IncendiaC posted:

Yeah it's mind boggling how much better the DD port is after the disappointment that was the HD Trilogy. I've only finished the first day of the free case and I'm already very impressed.

e: grammar fix
Heck, it's amazing how much better the port looks than the original 3DS game. After the HD Trilogy messed with the graphics, it's great seeing how beautiful DD looks on the 5s. Hopefully this sells well enough that they put the Miles Edgeworth games on iOS too.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Craftics posted:

Not enough love here for Cards & Castles. It's a combination of Hearthstone (kind of), Card Hunter, and Hero Academy. Try it out next time Hearthstone makes you want to throw your iPad into the ocean.

Cards & Castles on iOS
Cards & Castles Forums

I had glossed over this every time it was mentioned but..... Do my eyes deceive me or is this an actual game and not just a monetization strategy with some art wrapped around it? drat, gonna check it out

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I think it's a little weird to leave off Hearthstone from the list. Yeah it's not iOS-only but it's quite possibly the most popular game on iPad right now and it's one of the few F2P games that actually feels like a full game you don't have to pay for. I'd also recommend adding in Frozen Synapse and XCOM because I think those are probably the two best PC ports to iPad that exist.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
+1 to the Dual Destinies love, I'm currently on case 3 and it is really pretty good, only bad thing is a bug with the UI that came up a few times during investigations when talking to people, so you need to save often but it's not too bad. I'd say that the HD trilogy wasn't bad either. The only issue on iOS, for me, is they've skipped a few of the games so there's characters like Apollo and Trucy that the game assumes you know already that appear in the games that come between the original trilogy and DD.

I'd add The World Ends With You to the list, it's another port from the DS but I think the iOS version is the superior one.

Craftics
Jan 31, 2006

fuckin yeah

goferchan posted:

I had glossed over this every time it was mentioned but..... Do my eyes deceive me or is this an actual game and not just a monetization strategy with some art wrapped around it? drat, gonna check it out

It does IAP better than most iOS games I've played. Buy packs of cards. That's it. One purchase of any booster pack disables ads forever. Not sure why it isn't 100x more popular to be honest. It's super fun and addictive.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

That advanced Grand Prix Story game Motorsport Madness is on the NZ store and coming tonight apparently. Any thoughts?

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I should sort the recommendations into iPad and Universal games. I'll do that today or tomorrow.

And I'll add some more of the games mentioned in the last few posts, but if you're sitting there wondering why on EARTH game X isn't in the OP it's because there's a zillion good games for iOS and I'm not trying to re-create AppShopper using BBcode. :suicide:

The old OP was literally just a plain text list of titles with zero context, so come on. This is an obvious improvement, even if your favourite game isn't in the OP.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Just want to come in here and recommend Football Chairman.

In a nutshell, you start up a soccer team in the lowest competitive tier in English football. The only things you have control over are the things that require you to write a check. For example, you have final say on purchasing players, renewing contracts, expanding the stadium, ticket prices, etc., but the manager you hire actually trains and plays the squad without your input. Everything is done with your own money + money earned from operations. I've done a couple of playthroughs, and I think it really, really shows how tough a chairman's job is (if it helps, I love football and finance).

You lose the game by 1) overdrafting your bank account by a set amount (you're told how much you have) and 2) not bringing your account under that amount within 12 weeks of going over.

There is IAP, but it's essentially injecting money into your club. There are a couple of improvements it could really use, though. When you make a bid for a player, or offer a contract, there's no negotiation whatsoever. Either your offers are accepted or rejected, without the ability up your bid or make an improved offer. I also got some weird slowdowns while playing on an iPad 4, but it wasn't too bad.

If you're still not sure if this game is for you, there's a free version to try, Football Chairman Lite.

tl;dr Football Manager: Chairman Mode

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Craftics posted:

It does IAP better than most iOS games I've played. Buy packs of cards. That's it. One purchase of any booster pack disables ads forever. Not sure why it isn't 100x more popular to be honest. It's super fun and addictive.

Is there any way to earn cards without paying, like Hearthstone?

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.
One upcoming (no release date yet) game that I'm really excited to play is You Must Build A Boat, made by the creator of 10000000. It's a fast-paced 'Match 3' type game with RPG elements.

Speaking of which, I also nominate 10000000 for the OP list of games you should definitely get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

UncleSmoothie posted:

Yeah, I should sort the recommendations into iPad and Universal games. I'll do that today or tomorrow.

And I'll add some more of the games mentioned in the last few posts, but if you're sitting there wondering why on EARTH game X isn't in the OP it's because there's a zillion good games for iOS and I'm not trying to re-create AppShopper using BBcode. :suicide:

The old OP was literally just a plain text list of titles with zero context, so come on. This is an obvious improvement, even if your favourite game isn't in the OP.

It might be cool to have a google sheet with popular thread games that people could maintain, but I feel like the iOS game press makes that kind of redundant. You did good recommending a couple of good review sites.

I don't think you should be defensive about the OP, it's good! :glomp: