Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yes, Agito is what Type-0 became. Square however decided to actually make a phone game of Agito like they originally intended to do and it's a lot different from Type-0. That trailer shows off some new features they're adding for the phone version and Agito+ is the Vita verison with those new additions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
My hype is refueled. The whole "fantasy roadtrip" angle is just about the greatest thing I could ask out of a Final Fantasy game.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
The new XV trailer is loving awesome. I'm really excited for that game. The premise just feels so unique and uncharted territory for the series despite the similarities to games like FF8, FF12, and Kingdom Hearts.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Eddain posted:

Wasn't Type-0 originally called Agito?

Yes. Type-0 was split off and became its own thing, but they dropped a lot of the original concepts in the process. Agito takes the original project name and they re-introduce some of those concepts they had scrapped for the PSP game.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

What in the world... I don't even know what to make of this game.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's beautiful

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Eddain posted:

Wasn't Type-0 originally called Agito?

It was, but the whole XIII project was a major bust and they, along with Versus, distanced themselves from the original premise. It was originally called Final Fantasy Agito XIII.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I love that they're literally just driving around in a car and not hoverbikes or a mechanical chocobo or something

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Agito is a mobile prequel with all the cast members of 13 in their own class and you can date them.

Also I learned while reading that is their code names are their actual names from birth.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

That trailer for FFXV is super fun looking.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I think the greatest thing about the road trip angle is that the trailers made it sound like they're literally trying to get the main character to his date on time.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I'm ready for the roadtrip

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Welp, I got hype.

I can't wait to buy a PS4 for that and Kingdom Hearts III. In a year and a half or so.

EDIT: So the plot is that a Japanese boy band goes on a road trip so that their lead singer can get to his date on time and also their lead singer is a prince who fights giant tortoises?

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 18, 2014

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

I love that they're literally just driving around in a car and not hoverbikes or a mechanical chocobo or something

Yeah, the whole concept of the game since the beginning has always been "Hey guys it's just like real life...but FINAL FANTASY".

MrAristocrates posted:

Hey, if Nomura leaving XV gets KH3 out faster (it won't), it's all good.

How fast KH3 comes out has almost nothing to do with Nomura, I don't think. The whole way they phrased it in that press release seems to me like they're just trying to be diplomatic about the whole thing. It's obvious that they removed him from the game because a guy who has been working on the same game for almost a decade ain't in no condition to see it to it's completion. They brought in Tabata to bring a fresh set of eyes to the director's seat and it seems like ever since he was brought aboard things have actually been getting done.

The only thing that'll determine how fast KH3 is released is how quick the guys who made Birth by Sleep can get used to making a cutting-edge game for curren-gen consoles.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

FF10-2 was totally a JPop Girl Band Road Trip Adventure. FF15 looks to be that, but with a JRock Boy Band. And that's kinda cool, actually. Doesn't hurt that it looks gorgeous. The combat totally looks like Kingdom Hearts, but a bit slower and more stylish.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Square Enix CEO posted:

As the director of Final Fantasy XV, Tetsuya Nomura has mainly worked on the original concept for the story and universe in addition to creating the characters.
Wow. 9 years of work to establish a concept and characters.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

TurnipFritter posted:

I think the greatest thing about the road trip angle is that the trailers made it sound like they're literally trying to get the main character to his date on time.

And according to past trailers, this date will turn into a city destroying battle between the two.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Holy poo poo, Curtain Call is insanely good. :stare:

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

J-Spot posted:

Wow. 9 years of work to establish a concept and characters.

If it's anything like the development of FFXII/FFXIII/FFXIV, then we have a good idea of what happened. They created concept and characters first and used pre-render/prototype footage to show it off. However, the actual technology for the gameplay was built off a weak technological base. Furthermore, the scope of asset creation was of magnitudes larger than what they had dealt with before. So technological hurdles led to delays. Then, the need to create master quality assets before the concept was finalized meant that HD development created a lengthy iteration. The development leads couldn't manage large teams so work had to be thrown out due to poor communication or drastic changes in concept. There were probably project reboots as well if the game failed internal reviews or just didn't stack up well against competitors. All of their projects have suffered from weak project management and technological problems. I wouldn't be surprised if the same happened to FFXV to a much greater magnitude.

For anyone keeping a running tally, that's four straight FF mainline games that underwent development hell. Now, three of them won't finish with their original director. Say what you will about Toriyama but he managed to stick to his project and ship it along with two sequels.

So what's the over or under on Nomura leaving SE and joining mobile game development like Matsuno/Tanaka/Sakaguchi/Yasui?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Chaotic Flame posted:

And according to past trailers, this date will turn into a city destroying battle between the two.

Sounds like average first date stuff to me.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Ramza retaining his squire tendencies amuse me to no end in Theatrhythm Curtain Call.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

abagofcheetos posted:

What in the world... I don't even know what to make of this game.

I want to buy this loving game.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Is there ANY chance, any at all, that Nomura left the team because the core work was done underneath him and Hajime was brought in to finalize everything so Nomura could lend more aid to the KH3 team? I kind of don't want to think of him as loving up, the guy has produced some games that I really enjoyed in the past.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Gologle posted:

Is there ANY chance, any at all, that Nomura left the team because the core work was done underneath him and Hajime was brought in to finalize everything so Nomura could lend more aid to the KH3 team? I kind of don't want to think of him as loving up, the guy has produced some games that I really enjoyed in the past.

When was Final Fantasy Versus XIII XV announced, again?

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Eh, we don't know too much what happened behind the scenes, but XV didn't really begin development until years after it was announced. Was Nomura even the director of it before is became XV?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Nomura also looked like hell for public KH3/XV interviews. It's the smart choice to have him front KH3 only. He needs to chill.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Butt Ghost posted:

Eh, we don't know too much what happened behind the scenes, but XV didn't really begin development until years after it was announced. Was Nomura even the director of it before is became XV?

Yep. He was from the start. It was why KHIII was on hold.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Butt Ghost posted:

Yeah. The original selling point for Versus XIII was that Nomura was directing it.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Well, I guess I gotta feel bad for Nomura then. It sounds like he was in over his head, but if that other guy added the additional party member and the road-trip-plot, then whatevs. And maybe Kingdom Hearts III will finally come out.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

If nobody can do KH but Nomura then gently caress it, put him on Goofy duty for life.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I don't think any single man is going to be able to fight against the massive structural problems plaguing SE's development practices.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I take Nomura's dropping to co-director as more "Focus on KH3 so we can actually get that game out." seeing as development for XV started in 2011 and 4 years isn't THAT long of a dev cycle for a game like this. Now that being said, I'm also a giant optimist so that's just me.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Type-0 worldwide release on March!!!

Also FF4 DS on steam now for some reason, hype!!!

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Allarion posted:

Ramza retaining his squire tendencies amuse me to no end in Theatrhythm Curtain Call.

In the password section type "Ever the squire" - case sensitive. There are tons of awesome passwords like that. You could probably guess a few of them on your own.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

I don't think any single man is going to be able to fight against the massive structural problems plaguing SE's development practices.

This is true, but I like to tell myself that the miracle that is FFXIV's resurrection was a portent that S-E had become more serious about getting good games out there in a timely fashion and it's internal development is becoming more streamlined and efficient.

Onmi posted:

I take Nomura's dropping to co-director as more "Focus on KH3 so we can actually get that game out." seeing as development for XV started in 2011 and 4 years isn't THAT long of a dev cycle for a game like this. Now that being said, I'm also a giant optimist so that's just me.

Nah. KH3 was gonna come out with or without this renewed focus or whatever on KH3 that Nomura is doing now. I mean since Nomura's been working on Versus/XV we've seen the release of two KH games for DS, one being a spin off and one being a remake, and two full-fledged KH games, one a prequel that's just as important as any other and one a straight up sequel to KH2. I actually trust whatever guys were making KH3 till now more than I trust Nomura, to be honest. Before Versus he was heavily involved in KH2 and that game was so long in development that they straight up had to cut features out of it to release it on time, and they didn't get added back in until the Final Mix version, which made the original KH2 release super bare-bones.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The new FFXV director worked on Type-0 and this looks to be like that but with fewer characters and a bigger budget. I'm sure he'll be fine.

I like how the trailer makes the characters look like nobby brats whose first reaction to seeing wildlife is to hunt them down for sport. The blonde guy seems like the kind of character I love to hate. It's unfortunate he's the only one who seemed to have a defined character though. The rest of them just blended together. Like a boy band I suppose. I'm definitely getting this when it comes out three years from now.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Gologle posted:

For successful games, a lot of credit tends to go toward individual people rather than the team effort, company culture, and management processes that brought about that success. In truth, talented, experienced people falter all the time in game development all the time due to the environment they inhabit or just plain old hubris. Modern game development often involves managing hundreds of people towards a shared goal which is much harder than it sounds.

Yasumi Matsuno was a talented, forward-thinking writer and game designer who made some great cult hits. However, he couldn't manage FFXII's large development team and had to leave the project. Toriyama did great work on FFX along with Kitase. However, they couldn't ship FFXIII on time because they couldn't manage a large team and finalize the game design until the demo. Hiromichi Tanaka was one of the most experienced producers in the company and worked on FF1. He was the producer on a number of games, such as Chrono Cross and FFXI, and probably the most experienced person on staff. However, five years and millions of dollars couldn't help him turn FFXIV into a shippable state due to technological and management problems. Now, Nomura has struggled to ship a game in eight years despite his years of experience and past success.

No matter how talented you are in game design, you need to manage a large team to make mainline FF games. Rather than this being about credentials and past successes, it's about the company no longer being able to create AAA games in the current company environment and manage large teams. In spite of all the talent they throw at it, the company simply can't manage large teams for modern AAA development due to their company culture and development practices.

Naoki Yoshida was one of the few directors to steer around these problems by being very open about FFXIV's failings and actively working with players to make it right. FFXIV bombed spectacularly so he worked tirelessly to win back the trust of consumers rather than retreat into some ivory tower. He identified the failings of FFXIV 1.0, such as the focus on visuals and the lack of key role in development, and avoided the falling into the same trap his peers and predecessors have. With FFXV, we had the same evasiveness that defined the troubled development of FFXII and FFXIII.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Mischitary posted:

This is true, but I like to tell myself that the miracle that is FFXIV's resurrection was a portent that S-E had become more serious about getting good games out there in a timely fashion and it's internal development is becoming more streamlined and efficient.

Nah. KH3 was gonna come out with or without this renewed focus or whatever on KH3 that Nomura is doing now. I mean since Nomura's been working on Versus/XV we've seen the release of two KH games for DS, one being a spin off and one being a remake, and two full-fledged KH games, one a prequel that's just as important as any other and one a straight up sequel to KH2. I actually trust whatever guys were making KH3 till now more than I trust Nomura, to be honest. Before Versus he was heavily involved in KH2 and that game was so long in development that they straight up had to cut features out of it to release it on time, and they didn't get added back in until the Final Mix version, which made the original KH2 release super bare-bones.

I believe that Nomura is still- yup went and checked it. He was still the director for Birth by Sleep, 358/2 Days, Dream Drop Distance and Re:Coded.

So to amend what you said, while he was working on Versus/XV, he also made two KH games for DS, one being a spin off and one being a remake, and two full-fledged KH games, one a prequel just as important as any other and one a straight up sequel to KH2.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Sunning exists solely to smash dreams. Wherever there is a flicker of hope, Sunning will be the drive-by logic that shoots out words that pierce your body and say "we both know that this won't be good".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Sunning posted:

So what's the over or under on Nomura leaving SE and joining mobile game development like Matsuno/Tanaka/Sakaguchi/Yasui?

Well they've got him finishing KH3, so maybe he won't leave? It doesn't look like they've got him in the janitor closet that they put Sakaguchi/Matsuno in.