Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Good to see the update mentioned your cats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Good to see the update mentioned your cats

Apparently we started a thing. The one on the top is Grim; the one on the bottom is Ruby. Ruby was rescued from a feral cat colony, and is still a bit skittish around me (after two years). I'm Grim's third owner; his first owner was a crackhead, and I get the feeling that he had an unpleasant kitten-hood which has left him with some interesting ideas of how to appropriately play with humans. A second friend of mine rescued him, but was unable to keep him and so I ended up with him. I am pretty sure he thinks he's just a short human with a really good beard.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

:v:

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
I'm still interested in knowing if the cooking mechanics are working as intended, but I'm looking forward to playing a good deal later tonight.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Those cats are really quite beautiful.

This prompts me to ask: will there be cats in the colonies?

nvining
May 30, 2011

TorakFade posted:

Those cats are really quite beautiful.

This prompts me to ask: will there be cats in the colonies?

No, but how do you feel about pet beetles?

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

nvining posted:

Can we make them fight each other and bet on the results?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

nvining posted:

Disgusted and murderous. Guess it's already working as intended!

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Will they multiply endlessly, choking out all available living space?

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Gabions are now some sort of horrifying deathtrap for their builders. If you order multiple, your whole military will lay down their arms and pick up shovels whilst they build. Should they come across a Loathsome Fishman en route (say, whilst collecting logs yet to be stockpiled) they'll just flee, refusing to drop their tools or go pick up a rifle. I've had multiple proud soldiers of the Empire chased to the bounds of the map and hacked to death with coral axes because of this.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

changelist posted:

* made curry really good

Good on you! :unsmith:

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Here's some fanfiction of our own game: https://www.gaslampgames.com/2014/09/17/the-diary-of-millard-brazenwhistle-naturalist/
I was told that this technically means it's not fanfiction.

Everyone enjoying the update?

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Oh great, another early access game was now left abandoned on the streets like an unwanted child. RIP in space, Spacebase DF-9 (link). I hope this doesn't affect (effect? gently caress you too, english) the sales of Clocwork Empires too much.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Bernardo Orel posted:

Oh great, another early access game was now left abandoned on the streets like an unwanted child. RIP in space, Spacebase DF-9 (link). I hope this doesn't affect (effect? gently caress you too, english) the sales of Clocwork Empires too much.

What does this even mean? What does this have to do with CE in any way?

e: this has to do with CE

AndroidHub fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Sep 18, 2014

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Well with Towns and now Spacebase DF-9 you now have two colony building games that were released and never finished. And you know how people on the internet like to overreact about everything (like I am doing right now? :v:), so I just that it might negatively impact people's opinions about CE.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Bernardo Orel posted:

you now have ... games that were released and never finished

Welcome to the future. Finished products are obsolete.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Hello Sailor posted:

Welcome to the future. Finished products are obsolete.

Nah, there's a difference in 'not finished' between releasing a functional game and incrementing on it later with new updates, and releasing a broken feature-starved game and running off with whatever cash you can grab. People like games to not be finished in the first sense, when the dev keeps adding neat new stuff down the line to a game that's already enjoyable (see Team Fortress 2). But they hate games to not be finished in the second sense (see several Early Access games, and apparently now DF-9).

I don't think that really has any bearing on CE, because Gaslamp have proven they're capable and they have a plan they intend to follow through on. What DF is doing is the equivalent of Gaslamp deleting their page with all the to-do stuff for release and then just dropping a version they call 1.0 tomorrow and hoping they get enough money before the public realizes they've been shafted. Not exactly likely to happen.

Edit: If anything, this is probably good news for Gaslamp, as it means the Dwarf Fortress-like space is still pretty wide open with no competing products to draw off the buyers.

BobTheJanitor fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Sep 18, 2014

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah, as far as I know all of the other dwarf-simulators on the "market" are by people/studios without any real track record, not that the pool is very big anyways. I just find it preposterous that an entirely different game by a different dev would color peoples' views on CE :shrug:.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
DF-9 was by Double Fine, the only reason I bought it. They are a proven studio.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Deadmeat5150 posted:

DF-9 was by Double Fine, the only reason I bought it. They are a proven studio.

They certainly were, yes. They've fairly conclusively dis-proven themselves over the last few years, in my eyes at least.

Any pre-release purchase is a risk. Early Access and Kickstarter are just new wrinkles on paid pre-orders, in that sense.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

BobTheJanitor posted:

Edit: If anything, this is probably good news for Gaslamp, as it means the Dwarf Fortress-like space is still pretty wide open with no competing products to draw off the buyers.

Rimworld?

nvining
May 30, 2011

AndroidHub posted:

Yeah, as far as I know all of the other dwarf-simulators on the "market" are by people/studios without any real track record, not that the pool is very big anyways. I just find it preposterous that an entirely different game by a different dev would color peoples' views on CE :shrug:.

It's our policy not to comment about other games or to talk smack about other developers; that sort of thing ended in the Travesty of the Great Daikatana, and these are dark times best forgotten.

I do think that Early Access, as a thing, is moving out of its Golden Age (if it has not done so already); there have been some successes, but there have also been some high-profile flame-outs. Most of the work that we do to try and communicate our status, with the weekly blog posts, the forums, the development portal, etc. is trying to mitigate some of those concerns. I hope that people will judge us on our track record, our game, and our backgrounds, and not necessarily based on how other developers have succeeded or failed. (EDIT: Development portal here: http://clockworkempires.com/development.html if anybody hasn't seen it.)

I will also note, for the record, that writing a DF-alike or colony builder is incredibly hard; a combination of very hard design problems and extremely tough programming. The pathfinding alone is a nightmare, as is the joy of trying to debug a problem when you have about a million moving pieces all of which interfere with each other, and changing any one piece throws off your reproducibility. Aaaaaaagh!

So, uh. Anybody have any good fishpeople stories?

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

nvining posted:

Nothing major. When I was playing for the first proper time last night, a Naturalist was wandering around and ran into a pair of fishpeople. They proceeded to smash his head in and then eat him.

I suspect that sort of thing is common.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
While upset about about Space base, at least if CE sucks I can invade the Gaslamp office in a Fishman costume and trigger some PTSD on a poor dev

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

nvining posted:

At the start of the game, I picked one work crew and enabled only farming jobs for them. I then zoned some farms, cut down some trees, built a carpentry workshop and ordered some planks. After some time when no planks were being produced, I started investigating and noticed that the carpentry workshop got claimed by my farming-only crew. After enabling the workshop related jobs, they started producing planks and there was much rejoicing. We even ate some fishmen to celebrate.

e: aaand the game crashed.

Bernardo Orel fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Sep 18, 2014

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Kris xK posted:

While upset about about Space base, at least if CE sucks I can invade the Gaslamp office in a Fishman costume and trigger some PTSD on a poor dev

You should do this even if CE doesn't suck.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

nvining posted:

No, but I have this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WA9aeS4KpE

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

nvining posted:

I will also note, for the record, that writing a DF-alike or colony builder is incredibly hard; a combination of very hard design problems and extremely tough programming. The pathfinding alone is a nightmare, as is the joy of trying to debug a problem when you have about a million moving pieces all of which interfere with each other, and changing any one piece throws off your reproducibility. Aaaaaaagh!

I don't think that's unique to that sort of game; I've spent my entire day restarting a game and performing some arcane series of actions culminating in unplugging a network cable from a console devkit while begging the elder gods for it to be in the right network operation at that very moment, and it's a very different style of game. In the end, the gods ignored my supplications, my debugger remained unattached, and only shame and open Jira issues were left.

quote:

In my latest game, fishpeople took offense to my colonists invading their swamp and waged a constant campaign of guerrilla warfare, constantly attacking from every direction. Despite this, the brave soldiers of the Empire held them back with minimal losses (about .1 DPG (deaths per gabion)), and New Sogwood seemed well on its way to becoming a thriving colony.

Then the fishpeople stopped loving around and sent 36 raiders. I saved my game, attempted to draft every last colonist, at which point the game crashed on me due to what I assume was a fishperson overflow. Reloading the save also caused the game to crash, so I guess fishpeople had the last laugh.

Well, that's my fishpeople story.

FoiledShenanigans
Apr 6, 2012

Bernardo Orel posted:

At the start of the game, I picked one work crew and enabled only farming jobs for them. I then zoned some farms, cut down some trees, built a carpentry workshop and ordered some planks. After some time when no planks were being produced, I started investigating and noticed that the carpentry workshop got claimed by my farming-only crew. After enabling the workshop related jobs, they started producing planks and there was much rejoicing. We even ate some fishmen to celebrate.

e: aaand the game crashed.

Yeah I hope being able to assign what work crews are assigned to which buildings comes in soon. I assume it will. I miss the rally command.

I want to play on the tropical biome but it crashes..

Goddamn do I find just making little farming villages relaxing though.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Miss no longer! the rally button is now in the work crew window next to the militia button for each crew/regiment.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Man i was standing around for like 5 minutes just wondering why my guys wernt building a building, turns out there was no wood.

I wish there was an alert when i dont have enough resources. maybe im just stupid.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Hihohe posted:

Man i was standing around for like 5 minutes just wondering why my guys wernt building a building, turns out there was no wood.

I wish there was an alert when i dont have enough resources. maybe im just stupid.

Nah, the UI is a bit rudimentary right now. I'm hoping by release we'll have something that makes it more obvious why something is or isn't happening without having to actively dig through menus for it.

On the other hand, this is the dev team that brought us the Dredmor crafting interface, so....

(I kid because I love, please don't send the fishmen to my house)

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

"We Must Dissent"

BobTheJanitor posted:

Nah, the UI is a bit rudimentary right now. I'm hoping by release we'll have something that makes it more obvious why something is or isn't happening without having to actively dig through menus for it.

On the other hand, this is the dev team that brought us the Dredmor crafting interface, so....

Its come a long way as it is.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
No kidding. Those first handful of builds early on were nightmarish. You'd grab a dude and they'd dance a little jig while you stuck them into their workgroup. A terrifying jig.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

This is the most empathetic I've ever felt for a video game character

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

We should have a new experimental patch sometimes this week, fixing some other save issues that are still in and some crashes. Probably some new mysterious stuff as well.

BobTheJanitor posted:

Well, this time around the UI should be moddable at least :v:
(but we'll try and do much better than that crafting interface)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Edit: derp

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Sep 24, 2014

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Good to hear a bugfix is coming for crashes and saves, that's all that's kept me from playing a ton since the jungle hit. As it is I can usually only make it about a week in-game before something or other causes a crash, and a week isn't enough to get a good chicha operation up and running :argh:.

Larz
Jul 29, 2011
The guys from Gaslamp were recently on the Three Moves Ahead podcast. It was an interesting listen. Some good insights into CE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

Oh god. Didn't Nvining say the NDA is still in effect for the horrors of testing? If that jig doesn't qualify I don't know what would.

LtSmash fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 24, 2014

• Locked thread