Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Cable posted:

Wouldn't it make more sense to pay less if you're "backing" their game by buying Early Access, and then raise the price for the final version of the game?

I mean, I'm not one of those who sees the appeal of digital art books, so why shouldn't I wait for a more polished and cheaper version?

The original KS backers get the game for as little as 15$. I'm guessing they launched the EA at that price because originally beta access was 55$ on KS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Darkrenown posted:

Huh, Gods will be watching was pretty fun until chapter 5 when it turns into unfun bullshit as you try to navigate a randomly generated desert with a time limit and instant death events and no way to tell if you were actually close to the end goal or not. After trying the level ~10 times the game is now in my "Never gonna finish" category.

holy poo poo, this just reminded me of the game boy james bond game that I played the poo poo out of. It had the exact same thing, you pretty much had to know the exact path out of the desert or you died of dehydration. I think I used gamefaqs or something. God drat that brings back some memories.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Hamburger Test posted:

The original KS backers get the game for as little as 15$. I'm guessing they launched the EA at that price because originally beta access was 55$ on KS.

Yeah, this is exactly what happened. EA price = KS backer beta price so the people who backed the KS for the beta don't feel cheated, then the actual price drops down to retail when it's out.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Darkrenown posted:

Huh, Gods will be watching was pretty fun until chapter 5 when it turns into unfun bullshit as you try to navigate a randomly generated desert with a time limit and instant death events and no way to tell if you were actually close to the end goal or not. After trying the level ~10 times the game is now in my "Never gonna finish" category.

Haven't played the game, but that sounds like the point where I'd search the Internet for the solution rather than abandoning the game entirely.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Is The Raven: Legacy of a Master Thief any good? Just got a trio of 75%-off vouchers for it in my inventory.

It's pretty good, the interface is kinda slow and sometimes finding out how to cross from screen to screen is a puzzle itself, but overall I'd say go for it you like adventure games. The ending will make you cackle like crazy or facepalm so hard you'll break your hand.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Gort posted:

Haven't played the game, but that sounds like the point where I'd search the Internet for the solution rather than abandoning the game entirely.

"randomly generated"

Can't search for a solution then.

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

Cable posted:

Wouldn't it make more sense to pay less if you're "backing" their game by buying Early Access, and then raise the price for the final version of the game?

I mean, I'm not one of those who sees the appeal of digital art books, so why shouldn't I wait for a more polished and cheaper version?

I'm fine with Early Access being at a higher price if it discourages people from buying them. Too many people buy EA games because they think it's a good way of getting a game cheaply and then bitch about them being buggy, unfinished messes. Despite the name EA should be primarily seen as a way of helping fund a developer, not getting an early, cheap copy of a game, otherwise it just leads to disappointment in most cases.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

ymgve posted:

"randomly generated"

Can't search for a solution then.

Hm, there might well be a method that gets you through it all the same, similar to how "follow the left wall" works in mazes.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Rookersh posted:

Little bit more info came out about Final Fantasy XV at TGS.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/heres-the-final-fantasy-xv-tgs-trailer/2300-9468/

As someone who hasn't really enjoyed the series for awhile, I'll actually buy this when it comes to PC? It looks like the four protagonists are also just sick of/confused by the Final Fantasy storyshit, and looks more like a roadtrip through what Japan thinks America is. Also no Nomura for the art design, so everything looks somewhat normal which is fine by me.

It looks like it's Final Fantasy for people who hate Final Fantasy, which makes me interested in it.

Eeh, I never played any FF (except about 5 minutes of FF8) but this looks strangely enticing? Only Japan could think of such combination of seemingly disparate ideas and make it look good.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Drifter posted:

They had released gameplay videos as far back as E3 of 2013. E3 of 2014 was big for them, too.

You mean the video where kid protagonist eats gross soup and the screen flips around cut-scenes faster than he teleports? Or are you talking about the one where he flips around so much you might not be able to catch some of the big boss finishers they perform as a group? Yeah, that sure tells me a lot about a game that's been near silent since 2006 with the occasional dry spell breaks where SE usually says "its still happening", or the rarer occurrence when they decide to grace us with a flashy trailer. I want to think this game could be good as much as you, but SE needs to get off its rear end and prove this is still a game and not a series of tech shows at this point.

But hey, we apparently won't see that demo until sometime in 2015! At least if you purchase FF type-0 anyway.

Saint Isz
Aug 6, 2001

Drifter posted:

They had released gameplay videos as far back as E3 of 2013. E3 of 2014 was big for them, too.

SE didn't show FFXV at all for E3 2014.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

If you've been waiting 4 years to play Quake Live, it's on Steam now I guess.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
A quick overview on Borderlands The Presequel features:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjiIk65dN_0

It's basically Borderlands 2.5, but the moon looks like a great place to explore. And laser guns :torgue:

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
In case you don't know yet - Double Fine just announced that they won't be adding any more features to Spacebase DF-9 anymore, they're just fixing the bugs, releasing the sourcecode calling it 1.0:

devs posted:

We’re also pleased to announce we’ll be releasing the game’s full Lua source code a short time after 1.0, which will allow the community to create potentially far-ranging mods that add content, new features, and change some fundamental game behaviors. We’ll of course be sticking around a bit for bug fixing and support, but any new content for the game will now be in your hands. We’re eager to see what people do with this game!

Game's really barebones so basically they expect people to finish the game's development themselves. I wanted to get that game, holy poo poo did I ever dodge a bullet on that one.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Well isn't that monstrously lovely.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Orv posted:

It's even "better" when you consider something the lead designer posted almost exactly a month ago (click for source):

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Orv posted:

It just wasn't selling, even as a Steam and Humble Store big-fixture, so they probably straight-up ran out of money. 'Dwarf Fortress for the rest of us' is a nice concept, but it requires a dedicated team of professionals making an industry wage to produce, wheras Dwarf Fortress is two brothers living frugally, so it can survive entirely on donations.

Likewise, Prison Architect is doing okay because it's literally made by two guys who do much of their work down at the local pub, not a studio with office space and overheads.

JP Lebreton is a super nice guy, so I'd not be surprised if he's depressed as gently caress over this. Sounds like the studio is pulling the plug on his team.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Sep 18, 2014

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

And the game's still in alpha, so they're just slapping "1.0" and calling it a day. gently caress, it's Towns all over again. Early Access games can go eat poo poo.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Terminally Bored posted:

Early Access games can go eat poo poo.

I'll repeat what I've said a thousand times already, but a REALLY GOOD rule of thumb for early access anything is that you should only buy it if you believe you're going to get your moneys worth out of the product that exists right now, not what you hope and think it'll be like in the future.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Anyone who bought it not expecting something like this must have forgotten Broken Age.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I expect that from some random first-title dev, not Double-Fine. Knowing it was Double-Fine is what tipped me to buy it, thinking they wouldn't just dump'n'run when they got bored/money stopped trickling in.
Hack 'n' Slash is off the wishlist :v:

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Dominic White posted:

I'll repeat what I've said a thousand times already, but a REALLY GOOD rule of thumb for early access anything is that you should only buy it if you believe you're going to get your moneys worth out of the product that exists right now, not what you hope and think it'll be like in the future.

Problem is, most (if not all) early access games advertise on precisely the stuff that they will become in the future so people can more easily forgive lack of polish or features.

And it takes so long, too. I remember Bugbear saying they will come up with a better name for Next Car Game but it's still called that (after what, two years now?). poo poo, after the disappointment that was Planetary Annihilation I'm not even sure if that Carmageddon remake will ever turn out decent.

rargphlam
Dec 16, 2008
I think Spacebase DF-9 was always kind of doomed to fail, honestly. The nature of the project meant long term iteration, and I don't think Double Fine's current development structure was ever going to be conducive to that, with their whole spin up and down of multiple smaller teams. It's good for projects of concise vision and a definite end point, but not for a sprawling project.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Terminally Bored posted:

Problem is, most (if not all) early access games advertise on precisely the stuff that they will become in the future so people can more easily forgive lack of polish or features.

And it takes so long, too. I remember Bugbear saying they will come up with a better name for Next Car Game but it's still called that (after what, two years now?). poo poo, after the disappointment that was Planetary Annihilation I'm not even sure if that Carmageddon remake will ever turn out decent.

Don't be a sucker falling for advertising.
There have been enough early access failures to be cautious of every game under that banner, especially the ones that enter early access with bare minimum of features.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Dwarf Fortress clones are kind of a stupid concept considering Dwarf Fortress will probably always be better than them anyway. And is free.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Justin_Brett posted:

Anyone who bought it not expecting something like this must have forgotten Broken Age.

Broken Age will be finished eventually though. Same with Massive Chalice. Both involve kickstarter so DF would have to refund massive ammounts of money if they failed.

Stuff like spacebase were sort of vanity projects and DF has really upped the number of concurrent projects lately.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Jordan7hm posted:

Dwarf Fortress clones are kind of a stupid concept considering Dwarf Fortress will probably always be better than them anyway. And is free.

I always thought it was a Startopia clone. Is it not?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

fatherboxx posted:

Don't be a sucker falling for advertising.
There have been enough early access failures to be cautious of every game under that banner, especially the ones that enter early access with bare minimum of features.

I didn't buy the game. But the general narrative for Early Access/Kickstarter games is basically: "Here's a great idea I have, it can't fail. (You remember us from our previous games). See, it works already. A bit. You might as well pay us now and then you can play during alpha and beta." Problem is, it almost never comes out of that state. I think most people backed KS bought games in EA just because of that.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I always thought it was a Startopia clone. Is it not?

The entire concept was 'Dwarf Fortress in space' right from the beginning. Hence 'Spacebase DF-9'. Hell, you even begin exactly like in Dwarf Fortress, with a handful of laborers out in the plain (space) with a cart (space-crate) full of supplies.

Sadly, there just doesn't seem to be a large enough market to actually fund a high-polish version of Dwarf Fortress.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

Eh, it was $12 and lord know I've been careless with greater sums of money, but I expected more from Double Fine. I'll never buy an unfinished product from them again though.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Jordan7hm posted:

This but Nethack and RPGs.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Dominic White posted:

The entire concept was 'Dwarf Fortress in space' right from the beginning. Hence 'Spacebase DF-9'.

I thought it was supposed to evoke Star Trek fans. I know it did for me.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Dominic White posted:

The entire concept was 'Dwarf Fortress in space' right from the beginning. Hence 'Spacebase DF-9'. Hell, you even begin exactly like in Dwarf Fortress, with a handful of laborers out in the plain (space) with a cart (space-crate) full of supplies.

Sadly, there just doesn't seem to be a large enough market to actually fund a high-polish version of Dwarf Fortress.

there might have been a larger market if it wasn't early access. i know i didn't buy it because of that and i imagine a lot of other fans of the genre are the same way

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Terminally Bored posted:

poo poo, after the disappointment that was Planetary Annihilation

Hey, people like me had been yelling to pass on that since the Kickstarter days because it was by Uber Entertainment, same guys from tons of debacles and drama in their previous games Monday Night Combat and SMNC.

Planerary Annihilation? Running on nostalgia fumes for TA and absurd promises. Soon as they ran out of money and Steam wouldn't feature them anymore because they were "Early Access" they removed the banner and called it done. Expect more and more Early Access titles to pull the same sort of stunt.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

lordfrikk posted:

Eeh, I never played any FF (except about 5 minutes of FF8) but this looks strangely enticing? Only Japan could think of such combination of seemingly disparate ideas and make it look good.

It looks a lot like the fighting from Monster Hunter and that the style of the weapon will end up shaping how you attack. Have Square done an RPG where specific weapon types have dictated your animation/combat style before? I'm trying to imagine dealing with half the stuff the crazy as gently caress bosses existing on multiple planes of existence would be fought by you and your 8 foot hunk of metal.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dominic White posted:

The Gnomoria guy is probably set for a long, long time and that game is mostly complete and rich in features. Stonehearth got $750,000 (and some bit) for the same concept of Dwarf Fortress with graphics and a UI. Timber and Stone did fairly okay for itself, but ended up being rather uninspired. There's definitely a market for such things, mostly for people who can't stand to play regular Dwarf Fortress, but it's a hell of a concept for a bunch of people with little to no dev experience to tackle. See Towns, and I'm sure a bunch of other stuff. And yeah, also the idea that if you can stomach DF already, why bother.

Rather amusingly, The Stomping Land just received its first update today in a while.

Orv fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 18, 2014

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Davincie posted:

there might have been a larger market if it wasn't early access. i know i didn't buy it because of that and i imagine a lot of other fans of the genre are the same way

Yeah, good point. Starting development in early access seems like a fools errand, as after that initial spike you're looking at decreasing income month after month. Bugbear are the grand exception, it seems. Even Larian went on record to point out that the reason a studio goes Early Access is to gain feedback, not funding. It's a useful tool, but not really what you want to have your game relying on in order to survive.

I held off on DF-9 simply because they were discounting it heavily while still early in development. That's usually a sign that they're low on funds.

The games industry is a risky and unpredictable place at the best of times. Hell, I've seen projects that are 90% complete canned on a publishers whim. The same applies to Early Access. I repeat, if you want to buy a game that you know is incomplete, do your research and ask yourself: "Will I get my moneys worth NOW?". If so, go for it - you can't be disappointed then if it doesn't turn out exactly as you'd hoped.

Kerbal Space Program? Brilliant game right this second, totally worth it.
Assault Android Cactus? Rock solid, great high-score competition, just not every level finished yet.
Toy Soldiers Complete? Sure, it started out as the full Cold War campaign and is adding more stuff each update.

Those are all good examples of safe games to buy, if you know what you're looking for.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Sep 18, 2014

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Saoshyant posted:

Planerary Annihilation? Running on nostalgia fumes for TA and absurd promises. Soon as they ran out of money and Steam wouldn't feature them anymore because they were "Early Access" they removed the banner and called it done. Expect more and more Early Access titles to pull the same sort of stunt.

I'm not a fan of PA, but it's actually fairly complete apart from pulling out the remote server requirement, and I wouldn't blame them for keeping it in for a month just to calm down the piracy. poo poo isn't balanced so well, but it's complete.

I was kinda expecting the DF-9 thing to happen because their patches were slowing right down, but Double-Fine have made a grave error in allowing this to happen under their name, simply because you get a couple of times of pissing people off before they vote with their wallet. I thought they'd changed somewhat since Brutal Legend, but it would appear not.

I've actually been going through my old games recently and although there definitely is a certain rose tint to nostalgia, certain things just appeared to be more finished, complete and I don't really recall a time when a publisher or developer would just say 'welp, you've got what we're giving you'.

Terminally Bored posted:

'Next Car Game' in unfortunately the brand that they're known by. A rebrand now would be painful. I have faith in Stainless, though. It's not like they have much else to fall back on.

I'm actually fairly disappointed by crowd-sourcing at the moment. It seems that every publisher that intimated that they needed to be involved because developers have shortfall in time and budget management was actually right.

Edit: Took a plunge on 'Cloud Chamber' last night; it's a very interesting concept that I'm not far into, but effectively you have a series of linked videos and a message board for each where you can point things out, or talk about things happening. It's pitched as an investigation with a film crew in a kind of lost footage way. I don't know if it could actually be termed a 'game', but it's very well polished and surprisingly engaging.

Edit the second:

double fine posted:

As for what will be added between now and the 1.0 build, new features will be aimed at providing the complete experience you’d expect of a non-Early Access game: a Tutorial mode to smooth out the early game a bit and help new players learn the basics, and a Goal system that lets you work towards concrete objectives. That as well as over a month’s worth of pure bug-fixing work and final polish.

We’re also pleased to announce we’ll be releasing the game’s full Lua source code a short time after 1.0, which will allow the community to create potentially far-ranging mods that add content, new features, and change some fundamental game behaviors. We’ll of course be sticking around a bit for bug fixing and support, but any new content for the game will now be in your hands. We’re eager to see what people do with this game!

To those who purchased the game early on and donated extra for the “Famous Citizen”, “Stargazer”, and “Extradimensional Entity” tiers: all customer names will be in-game for 1.0, and before long we’ll unveil the poster and art print we’ll be sending out to those customers. Spoiler alert: THEY’RE LOOKING BEAUTIFUL!!

We’re extremely grateful for the support and feedback you’ve given us so far. Thank you for making all this possible. Now, back to work… we’ve got hundreds of bugs to fix before 1.0!
http://www.spacebasedf9.com/post/97755808095/the-road-to-1-0

So not *entirely* abandoned, although maybe not entirely finished due to going from alpha to release.

Hav fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 18, 2014

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Terminally Bored posted:

Counterpoint: There's no better name than "Next Car Game"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Saint Isz posted:

SE didn't show FFXV at all for E3 2014.

Huh. Must've been some other convention, then. I just remember seeing like a ten or fifteen minute gameplay thing of it sometime this past year.

• Locked thread