Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Jibo posted:

Maleketh posted:

Gonna miss Yueying having a weapon that isn't irredeemably bad.
Pretty much, yeah. I don't understand why the keep taking her dagger axe away. Does she have some kind of historical affiliation with bows or something? Because they gave her a bow in DW6 too if I recall correctly.

Uh, DW6 Yueying was, alongside Sun Shangxiang (the other bow user), the most brokenly good character in that game. That bow was murder incarnate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
Oh drat it, of course they take my favorite weapon away. I hope they reassign it to another character and don't remove the Dagger-Axe moveset completely.

Maybe it will stay available for created characters.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Colgate posted:

Oh drat it, of course they take my favorite weapon away. I hope they reassign it to another character and don't remove the Dagger-Axe moveset completely.

Maybe it will stay available for created characters.
I don't understand Koei and the dagger axe. It was one of my favorite weapons in the game from the very first DW game I played, and it seems I'm not alone since after getting rid of it in 7 they quickly brought it back in DLC and then in 8, but now they're losing it again? Does some one influential person at Koei hate it and constantly lobby for its removal?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just discovered that Hyrule Warriors version of Lu Bu is the Cucco.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Then again, that's always been true of Zelda. Don't tease the Cuccos, they will EAT YOU ALIVE.

Note that the Cuccos are tagged neutral. Baiting the enemy into hitting them can get you a powerful ally.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 18, 2014

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Mokinokaro posted:

Of DW8? The ps4 version has the xl expansion included which is another 30$ separately.

Orochi 3 and SW4 are identical AFAIK

Of DW8 Empires.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don't understand Koei and the dagger axe. It was one of my favorite weapons in the game from the very first DW game I played, and it seems I'm not alone since after getting rid of it in 7 they quickly brought it back in DLC and then in 8, but now they're losing it again? Does some one influential person at Koei hate it and constantly lobby for its removal?

I'm pretty sure they'll keep the dagger axe for created characters.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

HenryEx posted:

Pretty much, yeah. I don't understand why the keep taking her dagger axe away. Does she have some kind of historical affiliation with bows or something? Because they gave her a bow in DW6 too if I recall correctly.

Uh, DW6 Yueying was, alongside Sun Shangxiang (the other bow user), the most brokenly good character in that game. That bow was murder incarnate.
[/quote]

Well yeah but that's DW6. Ain't no one want to play that. The Blade Bow already exists in DW8 and it is pure distilled poo poo in the form of a weapon.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Jibo posted:

The Blade Bow already exists in DW8 and it is pure distilled poo poo in the form of a weapon.

And the saddest thing is that it's STILL one of the best of the DLC weapons. They're mostly awful.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Mokinokaro posted:

And the saddest thing is that it's STILL one of the best of the DLC weapons. They're mostly awful.

Flame Blade, Stele, Emei Piercers, and Dragon Column are all pretty good. Revolving Crossbow isn't half-bad either.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

KT threw out a couple of videos for Empires' creation suite if you want to get a sneak peak of it.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010
koei's facebook https://www.facebook.com/koeigames has a bunch of trailers for their games and are being teases, saying none of these are confirmed for the west, but would like input in the comments. So feel free to let them know if you want these games. Also, don't mind the dingus begging for a revolutionary warriors in the thread for bladestorm:nightmare. :D

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

More DQ Heroes footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J3Cu2alNsk

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Do you guys think that the Samurai Warriors 4 anime edition is worth the extra cost if I have no interest in the anime itself? So mostly for the ingame content, any experiences with that from the japanese players?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

They should just go ahead and make a Dynasty Warriors: Ravages of Time edition. Everyone gets a pretty fair shake there (even Lu bu :blush:)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pimpmust posted:

They should just go ahead and make a Dynasty Warriors: Ravages of Time edition. Everyone gets a pretty fair shake there (even Lu bu :blush:)
The developers have mentioned that they don't read a lot of super historical stuff, but they do pay a lot of attention to adaptations and other things based off the three kingdoms for inspiration. They might have already taken a few things from Ravages of Time.

Though my personal favorite is when the 2010 Three Kingdoms series came out. DW8 contains multiple scenes basically ripped from it whole sale, especially in the Wei story.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
DW8 ripped off the Lu Bu shoot-halberd-with-bow scene except it was completely random and out of context.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Tae posted:

DW8 ripped off the Lu Bu shoot-halberd-with-bow scene except it was completely random and out of context.

That scene is in the novel. A rare instance of Lu Bu being clever.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Maleketh posted:

That scene is in the novel. A rare instance of Lu Bu being clever.

It's supposed to be an impossible shot though, so I'd say it's less "clever" and more Lu Bu's skill and bravado paying off.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
The "shooting of the halberd" was actually a historical fact. In DW8 it actually looks kinda an easy shot given the distance involved, but historically Lu Bu shot the halberd through a small hole where a tassel would be tied, making it an extremely impressive feat.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Endorph posted:

The developers have mentioned that they don't read a lot of super historical stuff, but they do pay a lot of attention to adaptations and other things based off the three kingdoms for inspiration. They might have already taken a few things from Ravages of Time.

Though my personal favorite is when the 2010 Three Kingdoms series came out. DW8 contains multiple scenes basically ripped from it whole sale, especially in the Wei story.

Every time I see Sun Quan in the 2010 series I keep thinking about how the current DW model looks just like him with bigger eyebrows. Looking at an image search, I realize I'm also really bad with faces.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

So I finally bought RotTK11 after years of playing RotTK8 on the PS2, are there any handy tips/things I should know/things I should unlock straight away before diving in? Guessing they must be some changes between 8 and 11.

Important one, can I still start off the game with kingdoms I've made up from my own created guys and gals? That was so much fun.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 20, 2014

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

Important one, can I still start off the game with kingdoms I've made up from my own created guys and gals? That was so much fun.

It's been too long for me to remember any tips, but yes this is still a thing, you can also sprinkle CAW's based on friends and family all over the board and see what poo poo they get into

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Look how wobbly those Slimes are, I wanna eat one.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

So I finally bought RotTK11 after years of playing RotTK8 on the PS2, are there any handy tips/things I should know/things I should unlock straight away before diving in? Guessing they must be some changes between 8 and 11.

I can't actually remember what style 8 was in, but you may or may not know that RotK games come in two basic flavors: Governing the whole state or controlling just one dude and controlling things indirectly. 11 falls into the former camp, so it plays a little more like a traditional strategy game than the ones where you can bumble around the arse end of China drilling 314 soldiers who will never see combat or something.

The big thing I can think of is setting up districts. Your actions every turn are limited by Action Points and once you exceed a handful of cities, you won't be making enough AP per turn to make full use of them. Split off districts as groups of cities and set them to either capture things or support other districts. The AI isn't always the best at sending resources when you need them, but if you select a city in a district outside your own, you can still give Transport commands.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
If you spend a lot of time toying around with the officer creator, you should probably be aware that most of the really degenerate skills can only be used in the creator after you've unlocked them by beating the game in...I think 10 ingame years? IIRC you can easily do this in one of the post-Three Kingdoms era scenarios by taking control of all three kingdoms and just colluding.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I seriously need that Dragon Quest game. What console(s) is it coming out on?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Looks like PS3 and 4.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Empire's gamecity page updated with edit mode info, plus something about a scenario editor on the bottom. Has that been mentioned before?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I need this game, conquering China with an army of dwarfs.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
There's little hope of it both coming here and coming to PC.

*Sigh*

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Bloodly posted:

There's little hope of it both coming here and coming to PC.

*Sigh*

What do you mean? Empires games have been coming here for DW pretty much every time, and DW8XL seemed like it did pretty loving good on PC.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

How much extra content would you say DW8XL adds? A friend of mine has DW8 on the 360, so I just borrowed it from him last time I played it, but I'm thinking about picking up a cheap PS3 copy and maybe grabbing Xtreme Legends while I'm at it. But XL looks to still be around 30 bucks or so, so I thought maybe I'd just go back and revisit DW7 for like half that.

What's the general opinion on 8XL?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Crowetron posted:

How much extra content would you say DW8XL adds? A friend of mine has DW8 on the 360, so I just borrowed it from him last time I played it, but I'm thinking about picking up a cheap PS3 copy and maybe grabbing Xtreme Legends while I'm at it. But XL looks to still be around 30 bucks or so, so I thought maybe I'd just go back and revisit DW7 for like half that.

What's the general opinion on 8XL?

Do you have a PC that has pretty OK specs? Do you have, or do you plan to soon get, a PS4? Complete is DW8 and DW8XL for cheaper than both separately, and is available both ways.

Other than that, though, XL adds a good amount of content. New characters, new modes, I think it adds new story routes? Don't quote me on that one. Pretty worth it, though.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Kurui Reiten posted:

Do you have a PC that has pretty OK specs? Do you have, or do you plan to soon get, a PS4? Complete is DW8 and DW8XL for cheaper than both separately, and is available both ways.

Other than that, though, XL adds a good amount of content. New characters, new modes, I think it adds new story routes? Don't quote me on that one. Pretty worth it, though.

XL adds 7 or so self-contained what-if scenarios for each faction in addition to the Lu Bu story, if I recall right.

It also adds Chen Gong, who owns in all ways.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Yeah, XL adds a pretty substantial amount of content. If you enjoy the base game it's worth picking up.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

XL adds those story modes, expands Ambition Mode, gives every character a new move, and adds Lu Lingqi, Fa Zheng, Zhu Ran, Yu Jin, and Chen Gong.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

XL sounds pretty good. According to Can You Run It, my PC only meets the minimum requirements to run the game, so I'll probably have to spring the extra cash for the PS3 combo.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You just need a decent graphics card, the game is reaaaally leniant. I have a poo poo CPU with a 9800 GT gpu and it runs perfectly smooth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

except chi bi, which runs like poo poo for some reason

i guess the water