Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005
FF15 looks great to me. I haven't been this pumped for a Final Fantasy since X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Tae posted:

Uh, Type-0's story is better than whatever incoherent mess Kingdom Hearts became.

Does it have Leonard Nimoy hamming it up? No? Then it can't be as good sorry

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Kingdom Hearts does, in fact, have a better story than Type-0.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Alright, whatever seems like you all memorized what Ansem is at this point. Tabata wasn't hired for his story tellingg, he was hired because he can manage a team to finish products so him as a writer is probably smaller than it is and this argument will end up as nothing.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

excuse me sir, I believe you are referring to the man in my avatar, one Master Xehanort????

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Himuro posted:

Well they've got him finishing KH3, so maybe he won't leave? It doesn't look like they've got him in the janitor closet that they put Sakaguchi/Matsuno in.

None of them ended in the janitor's closest (unlike poor Itou and Kawazu). They left on their own terms before they were handed brooms. Sakaguchi registered Mistwalker before The Spirits Within was even released. The movie's expensive, wasteful production made it a disaster before the release. As for Matsuno, it seems the departure was amicable enough that he came back for Tactics Ogre PSP. In the few post-FFXII interviews he gave, Matsuno said he just wasn't used to managing a development of that scale and the pressure to make a blockbuster game with broad appeal got to him. The directors who screwed up usually left the company within a year. It's really hard working at the company where your project went off the rails and someone else had to fix it.

Anyway, the SE blog has commented on shifting on directors:

quote:

If that wasn’t enough news, I’ve got a little something else to share with you. Now I know you guys want us at Square Enix to be more open with you and to keep you updated with all the goings on with our games so I’m going to talk to you a little more about Final Fantasy XV since I’m sure you guys are just as excited about it as I am (which is VERY excited).

The development of Final Fantasy XV is coming along really well and as a result Hajime Tabata (the director of the original Final Fantasy Type-0 and Type-0 HD) has taken over from Tetsuya Nomura as the director of Final Fantasy XV.

Now before you start to freak out, let me explain how this is a good thing. There’s no denying that Tetsuya Nomura has been instrumental to the development of Final Fantasy XV and he’s done an incredible job. His main role as director was working on the original concept for the story and universe and also creating the characters. Now that development of Final Fantasy XV has come so far, Nomura’s work is pretty much all in place so instead of having him keep an eye on the more day to day stuff, we thought it’d be a better idea to pass the reigns over to Hajime Tabata and let Nomura move onto other projects and make games that only he could do, you know, like Kingdom Hearts III.

So now we have Hajime Tabata and the rest of his team working as hard as they can on Final Fantasy XV and making sure it’s the best game it can possibly be and we have Tetsuya Nomura and the Kingdom Hearts III team working as hard as they can to make that the best game that can be. It also means that both games will come out much sooner this way. Instead of waiting until Final Fantasy XV comes out before starting on Kingdom Hearts III, Tetsuya Nomura can now properly begin work on Kingdom Hearts III right now and with Tabata in the director’s chair, Final Fantasy XV won’t suffer either.

Hajime Tabata and his team are a bunch of really talented people and Final Fantasy XV is in good hands for the rest of its development but even if you don’t want to believe me, you can find out for yourself on 20th March 2015 when you can play Final Fantasy XV for yourself along with Final Fantasy Type-0 HD.

http://eu.square-enix.com/en/blog/ff-type-0-hd-coming-march-special-surprise

I haven't such fantastic PR spin in years. How is often does a project director leave when his game is in the middle of development for a game that just started development last year? Does it usually take eight years to create groundwork for the next director? For that matter, KH3 already has Tai Yasue as a director. Will Nomura leave that project as well once he establishes the groundwork?

We already knew that Tabata was co-director since e3 2013. His work on FFXV shouldn't come as a surprise. They could have easily given Tabata more directorial duties but the CEO himself came in and said Nomura was removed from development. I don't know how could spin such bad project management but they did.

There's also an implication that the FFXV demo is day and date with Type-0 HD but it might be just the PR.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Kingdom Hearts story is dumb and too convoluted to understand, yet at the same time really simple and possible to explain in a few sentences - as long as you don't try to question it.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Kingdom Hearts is art.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Any story can be easily explained if you give a broad (broad, broad broad) summary. I think people get too hung up on trying to explain details that ultimately don't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Final Fantasy XV: Don't Lose Your WAAAAAAY

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Sunning posted:

I haven't such fantastic PR spin in years.

I don't think that this is spin. Sure, there might be a little more to the story (there always is) but it probably is not just a bunch of BS. Remember that it was SE who both chose and publicly announced the change in director in the first place.

Sunning posted:

How is often does a project director leave when his game is in the middle of development for a game that just started development last year?

In the software world, this happens much more often than you may realize. It just isn't always transparent and it does not always formally result in a change in job titles immediately, but that is just a formality. What is common is that once a project is mature enough a company will shift some of its top talent to other projects which are at a stage where that talent is needed the most. That stage is usually towards the beginning of the project like KHIII since decisions made at that time often encompass what becomes the core of the game's design. This is done as a form of transition with an expected job title change later, but what it amounts to is that important people are involved in multiple projects at the same time while only holding a single job title.

This allows for a company to produce better quality products at a faster pace while coping with limited resources.

Now, is this happening at SE right now involving XV and KHIII? No one here knows for sure, but it would be foolish to immediately dismiss this possibility.

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 18, 2014

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Tae posted:

Any story can be easily explained if you give a broad (broad, broad broad) summary. I think people get too hung up on trying to explain details that ultimately don't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Oh yes, I agree completely, it's often funnier this way, too.

I'm glad Versus XIII is reborn, although the first (posted in 2010, 09?) trailer was far different in mood and nature. Still exceptionally pretty, though. And maybe we'll have an party members that know each other from some time and are good buddies on a journey, not collect them throughout the game, that'd be neat.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I actually watched the versus13 trailer last night and honestly nothing in the new FF15 contradicts stuff aside from a little different hairstyle. As far as a game being almost a decade long in development, nothing in public has really changed. Like, I totally forgot the sword teleportation gimmick was in the very first trailer.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Tae posted:

I actually watched the versus13 trailer last night and honestly nothing in the new FF15 contradicts stuff aside from a little different hairstyle. As far as a game being almost a decade long in development, nothing in public has really changed. Like, I totally forgot the sword teleportation gimmick was in the very first trailer.

I mean the first one was much more sombre, the latest one is almost cheerful, and certainly relaxed - at least, that's my interpretation. So no contradiction, but a contrast, rather. I suppose the game will have happy and serious events, of course.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Sunning posted:

None of them ended in the janitor's closest (unlike poor Itou and Kawazu). They left on their own terms before they were handed brooms. Sakaguchi registered Mistwalker before The Spirits Within was even released. The movie's expensive, wasteful production made it a disaster before the release. As for Matsuno, it seems the departure was amicable enough that he came back for Tactics Ogre PSP. In the few post-FFXII interviews he gave, Matsuno said he just wasn't used to managing a development of that scale and the pressure to make a blockbuster game with broad appeal got to him. The directors who screwed up usually left the company within a year. It's really hard working at the company where your project went off the rails and someone else had to fix it.

Anyway, the SE blog has commented on shifting on directors:

http://eu.square-enix.com/en/blog/ff-type-0-hd-coming-march-special-surprise

I haven't such fantastic PR spin in years. How is often does a project director leave when his game is in the middle of development for a game that just started development last year? Does it usually take eight years to create groundwork for the next director? For that matter, KH3 already has Tai Yasue as a director. Will Nomura leave that project as well once he establishes the groundwork?

We already knew that Tabata was co-director since e3 2013. His work on FFXV shouldn't come as a surprise. They could have easily given Tabata more directorial duties but the CEO himself came in and said Nomura was removed from development. I don't know how could spin such bad project management but they did.

There's also an implication that the FFXV demo is day and date with Type-0 HD but it might be just the PR.

I distinctly remember Sakaguchi not doing anything at the company for a while before leaving? Or am I wrong on that?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Allarion posted:

Ramza retaining his squire tendencies amuse me to no end in Theatrhythm Curtain Call.

It gets better than that. His stats are all even, and his skills allow him to fill any role whether it's fighter, mage, healer, etc. Basically you can class change him, just like FFT!
Speaking of FFT, I was initially disappointed it only had a few songs, but then I was impressed to see they made a background image for Golgorand Execution Site of all things. I love that there are so many more background images compared to the original Theatrhythm.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Xavier434 posted:

I don't think that this is spin. Sure, there might be a little more to the story (there always is) but it probably is not just a bunch of BS. Remember that it was SE who both chose and publicly announced the change in director in the first place.

In the software world, this happens much more often than you may realize. It just isn't always transparent and it does not always formally result in a change in job titles immediately, but that is just a formality. What is common is that once a project is mature enough a company will shift some of its top talent to other projects which are at a stage where that talent is needed the most. This is done as a form of transition with an expected job title change later, but what it amounts to is that important people are involved in multiple projects at the same time while only holding a single job title.

This allows for a company to produce better quality products at a faster pace while coping with limited resources.

Now, is this happening at SE right now involving XV and KHIII? No one here knows for sure, but it would be foolish to immediately dismiss this possibility.

What stands out to me is that Nomura hasn't participated in this staff reshuffling PR despite being a major component of it. He didn't talk about why this move was for the best or why Tabata is the man for the job. He doesn't seem to be at TGS promoting the game or answering questions about its development. Even with FFXIV's problems, Tanaka still wrote a letter about the transition to Yoshida's team and making FFXIV into a better game. Instead, we have the CEO and PR telling people not to panic because Nomura is working on KH3 now. In SE, it usually hasn't been a good sign if the CEO has to come talk about staff reshuffling instead of the development staff themselves. If all is well, why hasn't the ex-director talked about the transition and why it's for the best?

When you come down to it, we're at four straight FF games that have had their development go off the rails. One of them had to be be entirely rebuilt from the ground up and had over 700 people working on it at one time. Now, three of them have had the staff reshuffled with the director leaving the project. That's usually been a sign that SE's management no longer trusts the current development leads and wants someone who can fix the game and ship it on time.

FFXV has been in development for 8 years and we still don't have a release window. Entire videogame trilogies have come and gone in that time. This is by no means the norm for healthy, efficient game development. How long can we make excuses for mainline FF games that miss deadlines, lose staff, and undergo months of radio silence? Is it going to take an SE employee to outright say that hubris, bad project management, and the ballooning manpower requirements are affecting their development cycles? Because Yoshida already said that at GDC.

Himuro posted:

I distinctly remember Sakaguchi not doing anything at the company for a while before leaving? Or am I wrong on that?

He was effectively demoted in the months leading up to the release of TSW:

quote:

Square Posts Losses, Executives 'Resign'

Square, in an announcement today that has been hinted at for some time, posted a loss for the most recent quarter, which helped to spell the first zero dividend year since the company's stock started trading publicly. While much of this has to do with the high costs involved in producing the Final Fantasy series, as well as the heavy investment the company has put into Final Fantasy: The Movie, Square executives nonetheless felt that a certain amount of corporate restructuring was required, and so effective today, they have changed things rather drastically.

President Hisashi Suzuki will retain his position, although he did agree to a salary cut of roughly fifty percent. Additionally, his power in the company will apparently be diffused to strengthen the company's corporate structure. The executive board will also be drastically reorganized. Gone are CEO Tomoyuki Takechi, Vice-President Hironobu Sakaguchi, and company director Naoji Hiramatsu, who will now be replaced by a board comprised of a CEO, a CFO, and a number of outside board members. The resignations are effective immediately; however, the three will not actually be leaving Square. Instead, Sakaguchi will stay on as an executive producers of their products, under an exclusive contract, while Takechi and Hiramatsu will remain with the company as a contracting consultant and administrative executive respectively.

What impact this news will have on the state of the Final Fantasy series, remains to be seen, but a move of this significance cannot help but influence the course of Square's development. Hopefully, this change will be for the better.

http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q1-2001/020801c.html

Suzuki/Sakaguchi were already losing power before TSW hit. The movie's development was already overbudget with many expensive fully rendered shots left on the cutting room floor due to poor storyboarding. Sakaguchi must have known where is career was heading at Square/Square-Enix and decided to leave on his on terms.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mountaineer posted:

It gets better than that. His stats are all even, and his skills allow him to fill any role whether it's fighter, mage, healer, etc. Basically you can class change him, just like FFT!
Speaking of FFT, I was initially disappointed it only had a few songs, but then I was impressed to see they made a background image for Golgorand Execution Site of all things. I love that there are so many more background images compared to the original Theatrhythm.

It makes sense since the hard part (making a rhythm game) was already done years ago so they got to spend their time prettying up everything around it and figuring out the right balance between great selection and what better stuff to hide in the DLC

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Barring an unlikely sale I doubt I'll be getting much if any DLC for CC, but I do appreciate the fact that VII's two DLC characters are, of course, Yuffie and Vincent.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Mountaineer posted:

Is the best FFT track planned for this game? I googled the track list and it wasn't on the list :( Maybe there will be DLC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeVxbAR7mw4

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

How Rude posted:

Is the best FFT track planned for this game? I googled the track list and it wasn't on the list :( Maybe there will be DLC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeVxbAR7mw4

It's one of the DLC tracks, unless Gilgamesh makes a cameo in the game that I'm not aware of.

Probably added the "Big" out of habit :v:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

XV is shaping up to be Monster Poachers:The RoadTrip.
And I fuckin love that.

Plus points if what they're driving through what turns out to be fantasy National Parks.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Kanfy posted:

It's one of the DLC tracks, unless Gilgamesh makes a cameo in the game that I'm not aware of.

Probably added the "Big" out of habit :v:

Oh God yesssss :getin:

I bet the ultimate track is going to be really loving stupid like Force Your Way's ultimate track.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Would you look at that, FFXIII coming to Steam on October 9: http://store.steampowered.com/app/292120/

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

For some reason I expected it to cost more than that, that's kind of a pleasant surprise

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Sunning posted:

Would you look at that, FFXIII coming to Steam on October 9: http://store.steampowered.com/app/292120/

That is... much cheaper than I thought it'd be.

I mean, I'm still not going to buy it but $15.99 is pretty reasonable.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Sunning posted:

That is both earlier and cheaper than I expected it to be, even FF IV was more expensive.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I hope they do Lightning Returns and actually have it be at a solid framerate.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I got like five seconds into Final Fantasy VII before I realized it relied on save points. That the case in XIII?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yyyyup. They're also the shops of the game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I'm sold on the price.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I like the aesthetics of that FFXV trailer. It's got a lot of gameplay footage but I still have no idea how it actually plays. Is it mostly a straight action game, or is it some kind of awkward half-menu-driven compromise like FFXII or Xenoblade?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Look at all these Final Fantasies getting all this attention. When is it going to be VIII/IX/XII's turn? They also deserve some remakes, you know. :smith:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Krad posted:

Look at all these Final Fantasies getting all this attention. When is it going to be VIII/IX/XII's turn? They also deserve some remakes, you know. :smith:

12 already got a re-release.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tae posted:

12 already got a re-release.

It didn't though. :(

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Kyrosiris posted:

That is... much cheaper than I thought it'd be.

I mean, I'm still not going to buy it but $15.99 is pretty reasonable.

Yeah especially if the other 2 come in at a similar price. Like SE might have somehow learned and understand PC gaming.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Krad posted:

IX doesn't really need to be touched, unless you just meant making it HD.

Considering SE's win ratio when it comes to making expanded universes hasn't been great (Ivalice notwithstanding) I'd rather they touch as few of the past games as possible aside from polishing up graphics.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah especially if the other 2 come in at a similar price. Like SE might have somehow learned and understand PC gaming.

This is the same company that like a year ago couldn't figure out how to put in the right mp3's in ff7, and yet somehow they're porting 3DS and PS3 games.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

I like the aesthetics of that FFXV trailer. It's got a lot of gameplay footage but I still have no idea how it actually plays. Is it mostly a straight action game, or is it some kind of awkward half-menu-driven compromise like FFXII or Xenoblade?

I keep hearing that it's supposed to be like Kingdom Hearts but none of the gameplay stuff show this. At least I'm not 100% sure if it's the case anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Tae posted:

This is the same company that like a year ago couldn't figure out how to put in the right mp3's in ff7, and yet somehow they're porting 3DS and PS3 games.

ARR brought them around on PC. It's weird. Since it got big they just kind of awoke to not being as huge idiots about PC.