Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Netflix started to come to Germany and on a whim I started watching Elementary. Then suddenly it was the evening and I wondered how I heard so little about it. (And at least to me it makes Sherlock look really boring and bland as an adpation.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Randler posted:

Netflix started to come to Germany and on a whim I started watching Elementary. Then suddenly it was the evening and I wondered how I heard so little about it. (And at least to me it makes Sherlock look really boring and bland as an adpation.)

Elementary definitely hasn't had as much of a cultural impact as Sherlock has, but it's an extremely solid and entertaining show, with an interesting and (most importantly) fresh take on Holmes and Watson. I like it a lot.

I do like Sherlock too but the two shows are going for something so different that I don't really feel compelled to compare them to each other.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Kingdom posted:

For those of us Better Off Ted fans, season two will be released on DVD later this year. It was only 26 episodes in total, but it was damned well worth every minute.

So if you need an offbeat comedy to binge on, there you go.

It's also on Netflix. I know because I've spent the past couple of days letting it play while I'm working. I watched it during the original run, so I don't have to pay that much attention to it, but it's still really funny.

I also binged through Scrubs last week, again mostly letting it play while I'm working. Man the last season (9 I think) where it was 'Med School' was just so terrible. Although it really started to get bad around season 7 or so and I kind of forgot that they went back to the whole JD/Eliot well.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The only Scrubs seasons I really dislike are 7 and 9. 1-4 and 8 are all fantastic and even 5/6 are still fairly funny and decent (I wouldn't have said that about it before rewatching last year but there really isn't as much of a dropoff as I remembered until the godawful season 7).

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

is 7 the one where the final episode is that unbearable fairy tale episode?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ugh, yes.

edit: season 6 did have some poor moments actually. The "everyone argues about Iraq" and Laverne's death episodes were both quite horrible.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Bown posted:

Ugh, yes.

edit: season 6 did have some poor moments actually. The "everyone argues about Iraq" and Laverne's death episodes were both quite horrible.

Back when I had a folder with every ep in it, I actually deleted the iraq ep so i would never have to watch it if i ever decided to marathon the show again with my girlfriend.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Laverne died?

Jesus it's been YEARS since I've seen the show. Loved what I remember of it, though.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Evermore upon our country
God will pour his rich increase,
And victorious in war shall be made glorious in peace.

I just finished The West Wing season 3.

I think I need to go lie down.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
S7 of scrubs was kind of hosed by the writers strike, it was originally supposed to be the series finale too.

Drifter posted:

Laverne died?

Jesus it's been YEARS since I've seen the show. Loved what I remember of it, though.

Yes, and then her identical twin sister turned up to replace her. No, I'm not joking.

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

I can't stop watching Californication! Why is David Duchovny so charming!!

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

computer parts posted:

S7 of scrubs was kind of hosed by the writers strike, it was originally supposed to be the series finale too.

Yes, and then her identical twin sister turned up to replace her. No, I'm not joking.
They needed to cut budget and where in the (assumed) final season IIRC. She got brought back (as her sister) in s8 because getting acting jobs was hard at the time and it was possible.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Zedd posted:

They needed to cut budget and where in the (assumed) final season IIRC. She got brought back (as her sister) in s8 because getting acting jobs was hard at the time and it was possible.

Yeah it was a thing where they wanted to kill off a character since it was the final season, but when they were brought back the showrunner created the character for her since everyone enjoyed having her on set. She also wasn't her sister, she just looked the same and only JD noticed it.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Norse Code posted:

I can't stop watching Californication! Why is David Duchovny so charming!!

He really is. Overall the show just ends up being kinda... ok. You can stop at season 4 and not miss a thing really.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
I just binged through Once Upon A Time and I loved it because I'm a dork. :(

Not sure what I'll do next...

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I just started Sleepy Hollow. Its completely batshit in the best way.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

Can somebody recommend me a completely brainless comedy to binge on? I just finished the latest seasons of Workaholics and Archer.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JohnsonsJohnson posted:

Can somebody recommend me a completely brainless comedy to binge on? I just finished the latest seasons of Workaholics and Archer.

Broad City is alright

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Well, I finished up Breaking Bad. I was annoyed with the way they set up the final episodes but otherwise a good show to watch. All of the superlatives the show has gotten definitely apply to its cast and crew.

I'm thinking about watching Community next as a break from all the drama. Is this a good idea?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Broad City is alright

Yep, the wife and I really enjoyed it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Community's really funny. people will tell you about how bad one particular season is, but don't worry about it, and just stop if more than three of them in a row are bad.

I never got back into it after they were cancelled the first time, so I suppose I only watched the first three seasons. Had a grand time.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Drifter posted:

Community's really funny. people will tell you about how bad one particular season is, but don't worry about it, and just stop if more than three of them in a row are bad.

Season 4 was a step down, but there were still some pretty good bits. Season 5 was right back on point, though. I'd say watch the whole thing.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Isn't Community the show where a really good paintball fight episode took place at the school, where one of the teachers enrolled in a class, specifically so that he could enter the paintball fight to end it, because it had been going far too long and got completely out of hand? If so, I'm glad you've reminded me of the title of that show - I only saw that one episode on TV at some stage, but I should really watch the rest.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Major Isoor posted:

Isn't Community the show where a really good paintball fight episode took place at the school, where one of the teachers enrolled in a class, specifically so that he could enter the paintball fight to end it, because it had been going far too long and got completely out of hand? If so, I'm glad you've reminded me of the title of that show - I only saw that one episode on TV at some stage, but I should really watch the rest.

Yup. It's such a funny show. Quite clever.

I just finished watching the entire run of Malcolm in the Middle, and I have to say that I think it's one of the best sitcoms I've watched. Ever. Consistently laugh out loud funny, very silly, an occasional serious theme; it just kept on being funny and creative in its plot beats.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Sep 27, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Having finished the Highlander TV series, I've finally gotten around to starting the Hornblower telefilms.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Trig Discipline posted:

Season 4 was a step down, but there were still some pretty good bits. Season 5 was right back on point, though. I'd say watch the whole thing.
I'd say s4 at least deserves a chance because people have different tastes. If you hate it just watch "herstory of dance" and go to s5.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

I just started Sleepy Hollow. Its completely batshit in the best way.

:hfive:

Trust me when I say you have not seen even the half of it yet.

one sexy loser
Dec 10, 2007

Dating Naked is possibly the pinnacle of reality tv. You get the kind of people who apply for a dating show, then cull them down to the ones who have made such bad life decisions that they'll agree to go naked on camera.

The people are train wrecks. The dates are hilarious. It's so bad but I'm so sad it's done after the season closer of a naked wedding.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
I know two 10-episode seasons isn't much of a 'binge', but I just ran through both seasons of Crossing Lines in a couple of days. Got into it because I saw it had William Fitchner, Donald Sutherland, and Tom Wlaschiha (Jaqen H'ghar from Game of Thrones) in it. It's pretty enjoyable, a police procedural taken to an international level, though the team is small and has that family aspect to it after a while.

For a Canadian, it's weird to watch because in the same episode, the team will split up and have some people at a crime scene in Poland, others in Italy, some in France, and they're all like an hour's train ride from each other if they need to meet up again. I've never been to Europe, so it's easy to forget how small all the countries are in comparison to my provinces.

Now the waiting game for whether or not it's renewed for a third season begins.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I haven't started yet but am thinking of binging Brooklyn 99 season 1. Is it funny?

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Pron on VHS posted:

I haven't started yet but am thinking of binging Brooklyn 99 season 1. Is it funny?

It's great and it's one of the few shows that started off strong right off the bat without needing half a dozen episodes to gel.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

The last week I've been clearing some stuff out of my DVR backlog and I ended up watching the first(and only) season of Gang Related. The pilot was great, I thought, and the rest of the season managed to maintain that level of quality for the most part. I ended up enjoying it quite a bit even though it was very predictable and aped The Godfather and Infernal Affairs quite a bit. Anyway, if you're looking for a decent thriller with some pretty good performances by a mostly non-white cast and a good story pace, you could do worse.

I also found how it dealt with the consequences of being a gangster and also leading a double life fairly interesting, like how the hotheaded first son of the boss got paralyzed in the first episode, and the protagonist's trepidation at keeping up a charade while the walls are closing in around him and his family.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Pron on VHS posted:

It's actually very funny, but it has an air of an improv sketch show more than an actual sitcom type thing.

The first time I saw a few episodes it really turned me off because I was expecting an actual TV show where instead it felt a bit amateur with some strange but not necessarily bad pacing on joke delivery and conversation.

But then I picked it back up when I got bored one day and really enjoyed it - I guess the shock was mitigated because I had already seen a few episodes.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pron on VHS posted:

It's great character humor along the same lines of Newsradio. What I mean by that is that the show sets up strong characters from the start and a lot of humor comes from how those types of characters react in different situations.

The pacing is fast like 30 Rock and the show always ends on a kicker. It's a light tone and uses cut away gags like Better off Ted and Andy Richter Controls the Universe. It's brilliant in its stupidity and I have no idea what Drifter is talking about. It doesn't feel like a sketch show at all and has solid written 3 act plots with, so far, actual character development within it's idiocy.

One of the only new comedies I would recommend from last season.

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Oct 1, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

SymfonyMan posted:

One of the only new comedies I would recommend from last season.

It feels amateur. Like everyone's in on, and anticipating in order to riff off of, the joke more than they're actually playing characters. It's a 60/40 split.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Drifter posted:

It feels amateur. Like everyone's in on, and anticipating in order to riff off of, the joke more than they're actually playing characters. It's a 60/40 split.

That's a bit of a strange read to me. It doesn't feel like that at all in my opinion. What would you compare it to that does that? I feel it's fresh and fast paced well written plotted comedy with characters that act more like cartoons than real people.

Shows that I know that actually DO what you are saying don't feel the same. Curb Your Enthusiasm and The League for example are improv until they hit their pre-written plot point lines and both feel completely different in tone and writing than B99 which once again I'd compare to 30 Rock meets Better off Ted (both scripted shows).

I'm now curious on what you think of the other shows I've listed! :D Like if you thought the same of 30 Rock and Ted then maybe we are both describing the thing you don't like that I do. :)

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Oct 1, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Never saw Better Off Ted. I really couldn't get into Curb, and now that you mention it there's a similar type of thing going on, but I love Seinfeld and that certainly has elements of Jerry being in on a joke while lines are exchanged, just not to the same extreme as Samberg delivering his lines. I guess it feels like the show often stops for a joke, and then carries on, and then stops for a joke, and then carries on.

30 Rock was amazing, but it never felt to me like the show had the same type of feel as B99.

I also enjoy the League - in the same dirty way I enjoy South Park (can I just say how amazing the origin story of Rafi and Dirty Randy was). But even the League doesn't seem like it stops to let a joke sift itself through past the conversation - some things might be hit or miss humor-wise, however. Fuckin' Andre.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Thanks, whoever recommended Naked Dating. What a weird trainwreck of a show.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've finished with Hornblower this evening. I regret that there was not more of it; in some respects, it was perhaps ahead of its time, and I imagine it could have slotted in easily enough on one of the big "prestige" drama channels like HBO or Showtime if it had kicked off a few years later. Even stuff like Sherlock is a kind a precedent for it.

That being said, although it would be nice if Gruffudd got his wish to continue the series and pick up where he left off, it would probably feel a bit strange with the cast all a decade older than we left them.

I got the Subspecies box set as a gift the other day, so I'm going to watch camp vampire B-movies next. :haw: Not sure what television series I'd like to try next. Might re-watch something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Metal Loaf posted:

I got the Subspecies box set as a gift the other day, so I'm going to watch camp vampire B-movies next. :haw: Not sure what television series I'd like to try next. Might re-watch something.

You should watch Orphan Black. Not because of what you're watching, but because it's a great loving show done extremely well.

And then watch Season 2 (or 1, but never 3) of American Horror Story, and then watch True Detective.

And then watch Malcolm in the Middle.