Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

I'm starting to suspect that the 99-stamina Rush dungeons are just an excuse for the GungHo devs to use all of their ideas that were deemed too ridiculous for regular descendeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So I'm way behind the times. Why are prongs good now?

I just got light Zhuge Liang and noticed he's got 2 of them (and a bad leader skill).

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

dwarf74 posted:

Hey, welcome back.

2-prongs are good now because they now give a 1.5x bonus to that monster's damage when matching a combo of exactly 4 orbs. And if a monster has two 2-prong awakenings, the monster gets a (1.5 * 1.5) = 2.25x bonus to damage instead.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah, a Goemon team with 3088 rcv.

DaveWoo posted:

I'm starting to suspect that the 99-stamina Rush dungeons are just an excuse for the GungHo devs to use all of their ideas that were deemed too ridiculous for regular descendeds.

Well, they are indeed a challenge. That dungeon ain't that bad with a team that has anti board-fuckery awakenings

dwarf74 posted:

I just got light Zhuge Liang and noticed he's got 2 of them (and a bad leader skill).

Yeah, they are pretty good for the reason DaveWoo mentioned. Lots of damage focused on a single monster. So they make for really nice subs that can deal shitloads of pain. Although they are not that compatible with row teams because you have to clear exactly 4 orbs to active the prong, so a row clear won't do it.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 18, 2014

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I cannot for the life of me S Rank Sword of Flames on my main. I tried Kirin/2*/1*/1*/1*/Kirin and I either died or didn't get my combo count high enough. I guess I didn't combo enough on the turns I cleared dark/hearts. I did Minerva/1* trash/Grodin but the rarity was too high to auto S. Fair enough, surely my 5 star Volcano Dragon will auto S. Nope. I have wasted so much stamina today. I don't even need the Tamadra right this minute.

Maybe I'll try D/D Yomi if an Anubis pops up on my friends list.

On my alt I run DQXQ/1* beasts/DQXQ and usually get the Tamadra first run.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/ninjamagicstone/status/512244240554799104

Let me translate that...

code:
3 encounters in 7 hours (7 million coins) in CoSitA. 0 drops.
Yeah, the drop rate of the skill-up monsters seems like total crap.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

dwarf74 posted:

Light Zhuge is a fantastic sub for all sorts of healer teams (except arguably DQXQ because no extra color coverage), but yeah his Lskill is bad unless you have a bunch of ways to heal up without taking a turn.

Green Zhuge is the new king poo poo of gently caress mountain, though, with an entirely farmable team that can beat basically every dungeon and a great active and LS.

MrPants
Nov 17, 2005

seebs posted:

I sort of want a dark valk, I have DQXQ, and I have sun quan (2x damage for healers), and I have L/L venus (because she's a healer). Leaving me two slots to cover red, green, and dark.

Guess how many monsters there are in PAD which have two of red, green, and dark, and are Healer type? (Hint: One.)

Healer mono type DQXQ teams are a trap that hurt me deep down inside. I could launch into a rant but I will just keep it to the bullet points. Healer mono type DQXQ teams:

A. Will make you lose due to their low HP and not terribly spectacular atk. RCV is the most expensive stat and healer teams super low HP makes it so that you are getting terrible use of that RCV. You are frequently either getting one shotted and RCV is meaningless or other times you absolutely have to have sufficient hearts on the board to survive two moderate hits that most other teams would have no problem with. Sometimes because the board didn't cooperate at the right time, your RCV might as well have been 0.

B. Get additional burst from full teams being affected by healer power up effects... by giving up more consistent and powerful burst that being mono light gets the team. Blowing things up with light rows is where its at with DQXQ. I run Sandalphon or Shynee on the team sometimes but the two DQXQ leaders are the only other healers. But the thing is I don't need more burst than that. Sandalphon's active on top of an enhanced light row DQXQ activation will one shot pretty much anything. Thor's active would do the same thing with his additional light rows.

C. Have subs that won't attack when it is important. Red and dark subs will be sitting around after a DQXQ activation. Those turns that Sun Quan is doubling healer damage are probably going to be where you are using both DQXQ actives to unload on something big. Having subs that only attack when you get skyfalls during that time defeats the purpose of their inclusion on the team and doubly defeats the purpose of them being healers.

D. Will make you throw stones at the REM for subs that won't perform as well as light subs you can farm. I have no idea what kind of ridiculously good sub would ever take Hera-S or Athena's spot on my DQXQ team. Apollo is the only REM sub with a permanent place on the team but running Echidna or L/R Divinegon in his spot is fine. Even the Udon does a pretty good job there with his light row. The last spot is filled by a wide number of subs depending on what I am doing. Half of them are farmable. King Shynee, Verche, Sandalphon, and Valk among others have spent a lot of time in that spot for me.

E. Makes the team harder rather than easier to use. I think this is their biggest crime and why I get most upset about the idea of DQXQ healer mono type. Their combination of stats, color distribution, awakenings, and abilities makes everything harder than it has to be. With mono light DQXQ when I need to do a large amount of damage I know that I need to make a light match or two to kill things. If I have a spare turn to kill trash, I can match non-light and hearts. To do the same with a rainbow team, I would have to match a lot harder to get the same damage I do out of a light match and waste a lot of damage when I didn't need it during stall turns. I have the HP to survive hits when I need to but dual DQXQ leads bring a big amount of RCV to bounce back. Healers are constantly up against a wall where the next turn is going to kill them. This compounds the problem of the rainbow team having to match like a pro to really do serious damage. If I need to burst, I know that I can do a DQXQ orb change make a light row and drop a couple million in damage. If I need 3M+, I can add a light orb enhance to that. But I know that it is there when I need it. With rainbow healer you have to use your healer boost to get close to those numbers and to pull it off you need to match 5 colors which forces you to choose between using DQXQ orb change or having everyone attack.

OK, I still managed to be a little ranty but that only really covers the basics. Soon I will have a DQXQ section in the wiki where I can go on at length about them without remorse. Suffice it to say that I recommend making your DQXQ team mono or 5/6 light, include a couple more light rows on top of DQXQ's and look for some nice light orb change. Valk and verche are totally great subs. Valk will cover your green for a long time. Then just focus on being able to match harder when you need to and make light rows while activating DQXQ. It takes some practice but will pay off more than any team upgrade out there.

MrPants fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 18, 2014

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Light Zhuge is going to be the most batshit insanely good U&Y sub once they get their Healer type. U&Y 2x prongs and Blue creating active, Zhuge 2x prongs and enhances Blue, Sun Quan 2x Healer for 2 Turns and a Delay built in AND he's Blue himself. Jesus.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

DaveWoo posted:

Hey, welcome back.

2-prongs are good now because they now give a 1.5x bonus to that monster's damage when matching a combo of exactly 4 orbs. And if a monster has two 2-prong awakenings, the monster gets a (1.5 * 1.5) = 2.25x bonus to damage instead.
Thanks! Yeah, I've gone non-IAP and have been adjusting. :)

Thanks for the explanation. Wow. Time to start investing in all these riders I pulled. :stare:

And yeah, light Zhuge is going onto my lmeta team, not the other way around. Full life is a bitch.

MrPants
Nov 17, 2005

trucutru posted:

Let me translate that...

code:

Sounds like normal skill up farming to me!

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Reminds me of ye olde tamadra days, you know when we posted all those pictures of tamadra not dropping. Anyone still have that huge image with it?

Also tl;dr, healer teams suck because while you can heal you do poo poo damage and have pitiful hp.

MrPants
Nov 17, 2005

dwarf74 posted:

Thanks! Yeah, I've gone non-IAP and have been adjusting. :)

Thanks for the explanation. Wow. Time to start investing in all these riders I pulled. :stare:

And yeah, light Zhuge is going onto my lmeta team, not the other way around. Full life is a bitch.

I think that guy was made for AA Meta teams. He provides a lot of damage between orb change cool downs with an active that you had to run the craptacular unicorn if you wanted.

He does OK on DQXQ I guess but it is really hard to run him and King Shynee, Sandalphon or Sun Quan on the same team without skipping a color.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

trucutru posted:

Let me translate that...

code:
I'm not surprised! Skillup dudes have to be balanced against stone sink skillups like Fagan or FA Lucifer (though honestly I cannot ever see running Fagan or Legendary Earth being worth it). It seems this is a way of buying skillups where you spend stones on stamina and running the weekend dungeon.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

FrickenMoron posted:

Also tl;dr, healer teams suck because while you can heal you do poo poo damage and have pitiful hp.

For the most part yeah, especially with the older leaders and teams. I&I teams can push 30k HP and crank out a poo poo ton of damage but those teams are 100% REM dependent, and U&Y is going to be real nuts once that's a thing.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

RoboCicero posted:

(though honestly I cannot ever see running Fagan or Legendary Earth being worth it)

10-turn Sakuya would be really nice and if you have nothing else to do running Fagan once a day is a good way to drain stamina.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

10-turn Sakuya would be really nice and if you have nothing else to do running Fagan once a day is a good way to drain stamina.

I feel like I am never touching all the weird 99 stamina dungeons untill 5 min stamina comes for this reason. I never want to waste the whole day.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

Green Zhuge is the new king poo poo of gently caress mountain, though, with an entirely farmable team that can beat basically every dungeon and a great active and LS.

Go on.

I know he's badass but that's about it. I just pulled one last godfest and got him evo'd and up to 80 on Super Emeralds. Just need the Tamadra for him now. I know he wants Ignus Cu Chu and I've got my second highlander in the works for that. I have Michael too but what's the verdict on him and his auto-heal?

What else is on the farmable list?

FrickenMoron posted:

I am totally ready for the All Att required, healer only decended.

escape mechanism
Feb 12, 2012

My monolight DQXQ team still has lovely HP (15700 with two max egged monsters) because it's full of attackers and healers.

Apollo would solve that problem nicely, but I don't have him and I've resolved not to shake the gold dragon's hand until 2015.

Swapping Udon for Echidna is another solution, but its active makes it unattractive unless a preemptive calls for it.

e:

GoodBee posted:

Go on.

I know he's badass but that's about it. I just pulled one last godfest and got him evo'd and up to 80 on Super Emeralds. Just need the Tamadra for him now. I know he wants Ignus Cu Chu and I've got my second highlander in the works for that. I have Michael too but what's the verdict on him and his auto-heal?

ADKZ, Canopus and Zhang Fei.

Hera-Beorc + Canopus + GZL is also a pretty nasty bomb despite the lack of prongs.

e2: Athena, too.

escape mechanism fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 18, 2014

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

So I have over 20 Tamadra sitting in my box with absolutely nothing to do with them...

Oh wait I do have something to do with them, I'm just insane...

Bonus:

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

escape mechanism posted:

ADKZ, Canopus and Zhang Fei.

Hera-Beorc + Canopus + GZL is also a pretty nasty bomb despite the lack of prongs.

I have all those things! Except Zhang Fei but I don't think he's hit the US yet.

What about Michael? Pros are green attacker, mine's already high level; Cons are no prong, auto-heal.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I still can't really bring myself to use my GZL team (which is pretty shamefully, whalefully swole if I say so myself) because I really really hate getting screwed over by a random heart skyfall just before a mob that can oneshot me, or getting hosed from floor 1 because there are like 3 synced enemies.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

AnonSpore posted:

I still can't really bring myself to use my GZL team (which is pretty shamefully, whalefully swole if I say so myself) because I really really hate getting screwed over by a random heart skyfall just before a mob that can oneshot me, or getting hosed from floor 1 because there are like 3 synced enemies.

I figure it'll be a change of pace. My other game has an Ame team that I just can't take places with preemptives.

I think my favorite team to play right now is Freyja/Artemis/Perseus/Michael/Cu Chu/Parvati or Athena.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

GoodBee posted:

Go on.

I am totally ready for the All Att required, healer only decended.

Zhuge/ADK:Z/Ignis Cuchu/Athena/Zhang Fei is the team I was talking about, yeah. Michael can be good as long as you don't have his autoheal, same for Canopus.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

MrPants posted:

Sounds like normal skill up farming to me!

It's a universal, guaranteed skillup. In what universe was it ever not going to be extremely difficult to get?

MrPants
Nov 17, 2005

uXs posted:

It's a universal, guaranteed skillup. In what universe was it ever not going to be extremely difficult to get?

I actually don't have a problem with it. I hope that the dungeon that it drops in is decent rank exp. I am happy that it won't become the way to skill up everything and is instead just for those subs worth the effort. Skilling up every sub the same way would be super boring and would burn me out.

escape mechanism
Feb 12, 2012

uXs posted:

It's not so much the difficulty but the sheer tedium of it. Hours of grinding with nothing to show for it is not my idea of a good game.

GoodBee posted:

I have all those things! Except Zhang Fei but I don't think he's hit the US yet.

What about Michael? Pros are green attacker, mine's already high level; Cons are no prong, auto-heal.

The auto-heal is the last awakening, so it's easy to avoid. If he's already awakened, I wouldn't use him, no.

I wouldn't get too perfectionist with subtypes and two prong on GZL subs. Four four-orbs matches of enhanced green orbs will have each Zhuge Liang hitting for 2,5 million damage on the turn his active is used. That's powerful enough to drop almost every boss in the game on it's own. Having perfect REM subs like Marine Rider gives you more wriggle room, but the main role of GZL subs is to feed him green orbs, not to do damage.

Aghama
Jul 24, 2002

We eat fish, tossed salads

Yermaw Zahoor posted:

Is there a way of getting Padlistner to scan my JP account?
I see options for JP servers in the listner settings, but it always just opens the EN app.

It has some nice stuff but gets neglected. If I had it synced I'd use it much more as the language barrier just amplifies my cluelessness and makes me realise just how much I rely on Padherder
Yes it works, you don't have to launch PAD from Padlistener. It may take a little fooling around with the proxy settings.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

uXs posted:

Their mistake was to make them a guaranteed skill up. They should have had the regular 10% chance to skill a particular color. Or be like the baby tamas.

Running the same dungeon for two hours and only seeing one of them will only make the player realize how much he's being gamed, specially if the drat thing doesn't drop. With regular skill up rates (and an adjusted appearance rate) you would instead see 5-6 of them in the same period and maybe grab a couple. So the player would feel like he actually accomplished something.

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009

Aghama posted:

Yes it works, you don't have to launch PAD from Padlistener. It may take a little fooling around with the proxy settings.

Cool, thanks, I'll try it later.

Here's the aforementioned Bastet change changes and confirmation of a new 40 stamina weekend dungeon (screenshot show guy with 400k+ coins)
http://www.puzzledragonx.com/en/news.asp?nid=140

MrPants
Nov 17, 2005

trucutru posted:

Their mistake was to make them a guaranteed skill up. They should have had the regular 10% chance to skill a particular color. Or be like the baby tamas.

Running the same dungeon for two hours and only seeing one of them will only make the player realize how much he's being gamed, specially if the drat thing doesn't drop. With regular skill up rates (and an adjusted appearance rate) you would instead see 5-6 of them in the same period and maybe grab a couple. So the player would feel like he actually accomplished something.

I don't know. Collecting those 5 over the course of a couple hours and then getting 0 skill ups is pretty soul crushing and will happen 1/3 of the time. And if you collect them outside of an event, say because there was nothing else you wanted to run for lack of event dungeons then get nothing in the next event, that also blows super hard.

Basically I am hoping for decent consolation prizes that will keep the dungeon interesting for other reasons. Good rank exp, maybe some helpful drops like moltdras or kings, a decent + egg rate or anything to not have the skill up dudes be the only reason to run it.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Battle Pigeon posted:

Nice coincidence then. I do have a few D/D Haku friends, and a Tama I've been keeping spare for something! I was going to use my stamina after levelling up soon on Pengdra Village but that's boring, so if the Hakus are available I might give the dungeon a go. Thanks for the walkthrough!

Trip report: Only a level 60 D/D Haku was available, on floor two got orb trolled both on colours and hearts, and the masks were synced so I couldn't take three hits at once. Welp :v:

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

MrPants posted:

I don't know. Collecting those 5 over the course of a couple hours and then getting 0 skill ups is pretty soul crushing and will happen 1/3 of the time. And if you collect them outside of an event, say because there was nothing else you wanted to run for lack of event dungeons then get nothing in the next event, that also blows super hard.

Yeah, personally, I think that adding an extra point of failure would make the whole skillup experience more frustrating, not less.

quote:

Basically I am hoping for decent consolation prizes that will keep the dungeon interesting for other reasons. Good rank exp, maybe some helpful drops like moltdras or kings, a decent + egg rate or anything to not have the skill up dudes be the only reason to run it.

Don't know about drops or +eggs, but the dungeons apparently give ~800 rank exp/stamina, which is a fairly respectable amount. On the other hand, from what I've heard, the dungeons are hard as balls.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

Geekslinger posted:

My Athena is max level and will be ulted as soon as I get a light orb. I leave her up in slot #1 most of the time now until I switch to her full time.

EDIT friends list is full add me if you still need some 364973255, I just added 25 more slots a few days ago.

Oops, sorry about that. The few spots I had filled up pretty quickly.

Freed up another space, though, so I just sent you an invite.

Lavastine
Jul 16, 2007

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

Light Zhuge is a fantastic sub for all sorts of healer teams (except arguably DQXQ because no extra color coverage), but yeah his Lskill is bad unless you have a bunch of ways to heal up without taking a turn.

I just started playing this game an got the Sleeping Dragon, Zhuge Liang duder. What kind of leaders should I look to friend and what subs should I be going for? Currently I'm working on clearing the 1st technical dungeon after castle of satan.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lavastine posted:

I just started playing this game an got the Sleeping Dragon, Zhuge Liang duder. What kind of leaders should I look to friend and what subs should I be going for? Currently I'm working on clearing the 1st technical dungeon after castle of satan.

The best choice for a friend leader would be other Green Zhuge Liangs. Other good choices include Parvati, Freyja (the Green/Green version), and Artemis.

As for subs, the best farmable subs would be Mystic Stone Knight (can be farmed from the Guardian Dragon special dungeon) and Highlander (can be farmed from the Two Heroes special dungeon). Both of these special dungeons come along once every few weeks or so. Also, once your team has powered up a bit, I'd recommend farming the Green Mechdragon and/or Athena from their respective special dungeons.

As for REM-exclusive subs, Marine Rider and Sasuke are probably the best REM-exclusive subs to have in a Zhuge Liang team. Aside from that, pretty much any Green God would also fit nicely, especially if they have an orb change ability, at least one 2-prong awakening, or an Attacker subtype.

GrahamBLY
Aug 3, 2006
Better Luck Yesterday
So what, there were only 2 blue metas in the whole game and they're both gone now?
When does the machine run out of fuu? Fuuuuuuuuuuu

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DaveWoo posted:

Yeah, personally, I think that adding an extra point of failure would make the whole skillup experience more frustrating, not less.

Which reminds me. Time to feed Ronia yet another batch of 5 fruits... gently caress! I am 0/30 or 0/35 now. Goddamn it! gently caress you Ronia, why can't you be more like your sister?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Okay, I think I have a viable team for Sky Prison tomorrow.
-Leader: Divine Flying General Lu Bu
-busty Echidna (only got 2 skill ups out of 15 Naga feeds, tho)
-busty D/D Lilith for poisoning the Dublits in round 2, if needed.
-Corpse Wyrm, Zombie Dragon (he's a devil with a boatload of HP to get me over the preemptive on round 3)
-busty GrOdin with bind immunity (more HP, hopefully bait for the mythlits in round one to waste turns while I stall

Planning on a using a friend Ronia, hopefully hyper maxed ; got 3 or 4 of them on my friend list. Do they have what it takes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrPants
Nov 17, 2005

DaveWoo posted:

Don't know about drops or +eggs, but the dungeons apparently give ~800 rank exp/stamina, which is a fairly respectable amount. On the other hand, from what I've heard, the dungeons are hard as balls.

That is really, really, great news. I am happy about 800 rank exp per sta in chunks larger than 17 sta at a time. I am really pumped that the dungeons will be hard. An easy sub 400xp/sta dungeon would have been the worst case scenario. Just grinding out easy crap hoping for a specific drop suffering boredom in a game that is supposed to be entertainment. That has already been done to death in other games. This gives me the option to always be able to do something difficult and rewarding when I have an hour to play.

Also if it is super hard it will keep me interested and engaged. I want reasons to keep on building my teams and my skills. Lately it has been feeling like there is way too much farm level content that I don't have to really think about. I think that is because this event has had all the trashy descends that aren't worth anyone's time, we have had super easy dragon dungeons around to farm for skill ups for months and interesting difficult content has been kind of scarce lately. I wish there was more permanent zeus vulcan level content around. Failing frequently makes me feel like there is more to learn and my team still needs development.

• Locked thread