Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Kurtofan posted:

I think that's what I'm watching right now (on TF1), but NBC isn't going to air it and apparently no one else in North America seems interested :v:
I assume it got low ratings in the US when it aired, even for NBC.

Unless the second season is a lot better, NBC is actually saving America from bad TV for once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Cardboard Box A posted:

I assume it got low ratings in the US when it aired, even for NBC.

Unless the second season is a lot better, NBC is actually saving America from bad TV for once.

NBC foiled our plans of invading America with bad French television :france:

I'm just surprised to see those things even get made. I can't help but feel bad for the big profile actors playing in them :shobon:

Anyone here ever watches non English language tv shows? I haven't watched any in a long while.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Kurtofan posted:

Anyone here ever watches non English language tv shows? I haven't watched any in a long while.

We kinda all got suckered into watching Les Revenants last year, and some people are still under the mistaken impression that it was good.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
So the goon who went on Millionaire walked away with $63k, a shirt that he sweated through, three passionate hugs with Terry Crews and one really awkward hug with the friend he brought with him as a lifeline. I'm calling it a success.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Did the Terry Crews hugs give him superpowers?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Season finale of You're the Worst today. Also likely the series finale since it's one of the lowest rated comedies on TV.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Hard to say with FX. Critical buzz might be enough to get it another season. Tyrant got neither good reviews nor particularly good ratings and got renewed today.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

hcreight posted:

Hard to say with FX. Critical buzz might be enough to get it another season. Tyrant got neither good reviews nor particularly good ratings and got renewed today.
Can't wait to see how Bassam gets out of his wacky predicament next year!

Daedo
May 5, 2002

Cardboard Box A posted:

Can't wait to see how Bassam gets out of his wacky predicament next year!

Bullet to the head in the opening shot. The rest of the season is Jamal's crazy hijinks as he balances being a dictator with his love of fishing.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Daedo posted:

Bullet to the head in the opening shot. The rest of the season is Jamal's crazy hijinks as he balances being a dictator with his love of fishing.

This needs to happen. I want to watch the weekly episodic adventures of President Jamal & Friends, set amongst a vicious military crackdown against conspiring outside forces.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
If You're the Worst isn't renewed now that Tyrant got the green light... Oh man, there will be stuff with fist and kicking.

It wouldn't be the first time such a well written show got canceled, but man does this show deserve a second season with a better lead in than Married.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I dunno if any of y'all follow Todd Van der Werff's stuff on Vox but he keeps pimping Red Band Society and it's making me irl mad.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
More DC News: CBS has given a full series commitment to "Supergirl".

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Berlanti keeping DC afloat I see.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Acknowledging Superman exists in her world is cool, but it will make the times he doesn't show up a bit silly.

It makes sense when Thor doesn't show up for Iron Man's problems but helping everyone is kind of Superman's deal.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Acknowledging Superman exists in her world is cool, but it will make the times he doesn't show up a bit silly.

It makes sense when Thor doesn't show up for Iron Man's problems but helping everyone is kind of Superman's deal.

I was thinking the same thing. I kind of wish that the show would just say, "There's no Superman. Just her." History has made Supergirl secondary to Superman in the comics, but there's no reason to do that with a fresh start on television.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

I was thinking the same thing. I kind of wish that the show would just say, "There's no Superman. Just her." History has made Supergirl secondary to Superman in the comics, but there's no reason to do that with a fresh start on television.
Yeah, hopefully that will be the case. I'd much prefer to see that instead, actually. Especially if DC doesn't want it interfering with the movies anyway, might as well go full bore in that direction.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I don't think under any circumstances can there exist a supergirl media item that doesn't recognize supermans existence, since he's the most famous comic book character of all time (even though he's desperately boring and stupid) and audiences would flat-out reject anything that tries to create a world within the super(whatever) dc universe where superman never existed

Superman is just too big and too popular

A nightwing show could work, a teen titans show could work, hell were getting a Gotham show with no batman, a spider-girl/ spiderwoman show could work, but a superman show with no superman? Nope

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Sober posted:

Yeah, hopefully that will be the case. I'd much prefer to see that instead, actually. Especially if DC doesn't want it interfering with the movies anyway, might as well go full bore in that direction.

I don't think dc wants to separate their television outings from their movie outings, I think the arrow/flash stuff is a unique case and ultimately dc wants a version of the mcu because the trans media strategy has been huge for marvel, like loving huge

DC's lack of centralized overarcing narrative a la the mcu isn't some difference in vision it's indicative of their completely disorganized, schizophrenic attempts at chasing after marvels money leading to a lack of creative coherency or vision

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Random Stranger posted:

Eh, it's fairly easy to fix that by having her show up superman and prove she doesn't need no man Superman, the only problem with which is that being too perfect ruins any real tension with the protagonist of the week, but that's basically always been the case with SuperPerson for me.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I hope the show goes full on batshit and has Comet the horse that turns into a man, and loves Supergirl.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

If they wanted to make a supergirl tv show without superman they would've made it a power girl tv show since that's essentially exactly what she is

The problem with supergirl as with most to all dc heroines outsider of...Wonder Woman, I guess is that they're all defined by the relationship with and to the male superheroes

Supergirl is the one of the biggest victims of this surreptitiously sexist dc trend of reducing their female heroes so their entire personalities are defined by the male heroes they are around but even power girl gets a lot of that, see also "my boob window is supes 's'" which is just kinda lol

I mean I like power girl as a whole she's fairly progressive esp for dc but boy oh boy she still does feel at time likes "superman but with huge tits"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Superman couldn't work on TV except for the other 4 times Superman worked on TV.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

If DC insists on TV Arrow and Flash not being in the DC movie universe they're trying to create with BvS, then it would stand to reason it would be just as much a good idea to just make Supergirl on the TV show the Super(wo)man instead.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

hcreight posted:

The fact it's the only show on FX to get critical buzz in years means it might get renewed.

That says it better get renewed or I"m going to cut someone. There is no better show on tv about the horrors of relationships and going for your ideal of perfection and failing then You're the Worst. It even showed the horror of what moving in with someone you love is like and the fear of failure in that (Jimmy and Gretchan's fear at the end of the episode as they unpack the car). No other show has ever owned that the same way (I'm sure someone here that watches more TV then I do will have another show like it) more then Lindsay and Paul who both married the ideal mate in their heads then hated the real marriage.

gently caress is it a good show.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

sbaldrick posted:

The fact it's the only show on FX to get critical buzz in years means it might get renewed.

That says it better get renewed or I"m going to cut someone. There is no better show on tv about the horrors of relationships and going for your ideal of perfection and failing then You're the Worst. It even showed the horror of what moving in with someone you love is like and the fear of failure in that (Jimmy and Gretchan's fear at the end of the episode as they unpack the car). No other show has ever owned that the same way (I'm sure someone here that watches more TV then I do will have another show like it) more then Lindsay and Paul who both married the ideal mate in their heads then hated the real marriage.

gently caress is it a good show.

Archer, Justified, and Americans don't get critical buzz?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Sober posted:

If DC insists on TV Arrow and Flash not being in the DC movie universe they're trying to create with BvS, then it would stand to reason it would be just as much a good idea to just make Supergirl on the TV show the Super(wo)man instead.

My point is I'm p sure it's not that, it's a combination of the showrunners not wanting the headache of fitting it in to the dc movie universe and dc not really knowing how

Dc is even half-assing it with bvs being kinda-sorta but not really in the man of steel "universe", a universe that has had exactly one movie in it, I think it's more dc desperately trying to make a ton of money without having any sort of overarcing plan beyond "we gotta beat marvel put out all the TV shows and movies, gently caress it"

I mean have you seen their dev slate into 2020? It's clear that it's just a disorganized mess of " movie movie movie team up movie" that marvel did without realizing that marvel took like 8 loving years to get to the point where avengers 1 made narrative sense and agents of shield, despite its numerous faults, being cohesive to the world they established

Again it's not to me dc trying to keep things segmented, it's time warner insisting they gotta catch Disney and having zero idea how to make any of it make any loving sense

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

sbaldrick posted:

Yeah, that Hail Mary really worked for Terriers...

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah it's really loving terrible and I have no faith any of it is going to be any good, although I really hope Constantine is.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DC now has a show on every broadcast network except the one owned by Disney. That's just weird.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Deadpool posted:

DC now has a show on every broadcast network except the one owned by Disney. That's just weird a drat good business strategy.

I'm impressed...

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Anyway, it seems like it's a foregone conclusion that Superman exists in Supergirl anyway; here's the series logline:

quote:

Born on the planet Krypton, Kara Zor-el escaped amid its destruction years ago. Since arriving on Earth, she’s been hiding the powers she shares with her famous cousin. But now at age 24, she decides to embrace her superhuman abilities and be the hero she was always meant to be.

So it might not even be connected to Arrow/Flash anyway. But yeah, I'm wondering if they entertained the idea of Supergirl = Superman in the show or an exec probably shot it down for something safer.

Daedo
May 5, 2002

timp posted:

I'm impressed...

Nah, I'll be impressed if they get a show on ABC.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Daedo posted:

Nah, I'll be impressed if they get a show on ABC.

Psh, they did that decades ago. :pseudo:

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

bobkatt013 posted:

Archer, Justified, and Americans don't get critical buzz?

I completely forgot Archer and the Americans are on FX.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Sam Elliott and Garret Dillahunt have been cast in the final season of Justified on F/X:

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/justified-casts-sam-elliott-garret-dillahunt-for-final-season-roles

:circlefap: Sam Elliott on Justified! :circlefap:

C'mon Yost...you've got 13 more episodes to surprise me w/ an ultimate casting coup of Ian McShane. :homebrew:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DC currently has 11 shows in some stage of production or development across eight networks. That is insane.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

I hope the show goes full on batshit and has Comet the horse that turns into a man, and loves Supergirl.

Excuse me, but you mean a centaur turned into a horse that turns into a man that loves Supergirl.

Toxxupation posted:

The problem with supergirl as with most to all dc heroines outsider of...Wonder Woman, I guess is that they're all defined by the relationship with and to the male superheroes

Supergirl is the one of the biggest victims of this surreptitiously sexist dc trend of reducing their female heroes so their entire personalities are defined by the male heroes they are around but even power girl gets a lot of that, see also "my boob window is supes 's'" which is just kinda lol

I mean I like power girl as a whole she's fairly progressive esp for dc but boy oh boy she still does feel at time likes "superman but with huge tits"

In fairness to DC, they've spent the past forty years trying to fix this with varying levels of success. Power Girl, for example, was introduced in the 70's to be a feminist Supergirl.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Dead Snoopy posted:

Sam Elliott and Garret Dillahunt have been cast in the final season of Justified on F/X:

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/justified-casts-sam-elliott-garret-dillahunt-for-final-season-roles

Holy Jesus, bring it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Dead Snoopy posted:

:circlefap: Sam Elliott on Justified! :circlefap:

Fine, fine. I'll watch your show.

• Locked thread