Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
New friendlyjordies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26ZCkHgiYk0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blindidiotgod
Jan 9, 2005

http://twitter.com/rpy/status/512392017024778240/photo/1

Phone posting.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

Zenithe posted:

It could refer to those who were found to be not genuine refugees, or who returned home "voluntarily"

Oh sure, but when you hear the term "asylum seeker' you see someone who has fled their home. That byline just screams that "yep, they were fleeing persecution, but we sent them back"

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Zenithe posted:

It could refer to those who were found to be not genuine refugees, or who returned home "voluntarily"

Surely in that case you'd call them something else (illegal immigrants, unlawful arrivals or similar).

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Ler posted:

Man I'm white as can be (loving French-Swedish & German parents) and I get stopped all the drat time across Europe because of my beard. Happens especially in the UK. Hell I even got stopped and searched in Bosnia and Croatia a couple months ago.

Anidav posted:

Today was so loving weird, everyone at University was making Team America Muslim jokes and talking about how they're glad the boats have stopped. Weirdest conversations in a day thus far in my recent times.

I actually had a pretty good day today. I was out from 9.30am to 3.30pm running errand after errand and generally driving all around through the Inner West, inner City, edge of the East, and even the other side of the bridge. Maybe it's just because I was running on no sleep whatsoever, but I don't think I saw a single motherfucker look sideways at me. Might have been different if I'd gone to the Shire or further out West than Strathfield, or further North than Crows Nest, but yeah, Anidav, why the gently caress do you live in Queensland? What is wrong with you as a person that you continue to live in that poo poo hole. Come seek asylum in Sydney, you massive idiot.

i got banned
Sep 24, 2010

lol abbottwon
My inability to grow a beard is finally paying dividends

quote:

Well Done Scott Morrison...you have achieved in 1 year what Labor could not fix in their six years in office. And to all those bleeding hearts...get a reality check. We are bringing into this country people we have no clue who they are who cannot fit in and then take our hospitality and throw it back at us. Its time we looked after our own back yard first.

*slashes welfare to everyone except the rich*

i got banned fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 18, 2014

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
"Hmmm, how can we help Liberal leaders both state and federally in polling...

Eureka!

i got banned
Sep 24, 2010

lol abbottwon
Suspected terrorists planning a potential attack

gently caress those loving weasel words

every day just gets worse

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Tony Abbott posted:

our country is as safe as the professionalism of the police and security agencies.

RIP us

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
this poo poo's gonna get him reelected lol

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

That's the quote of the year

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

i got banned posted:

Suspected terrorists planning a potential attack

We got in the paper? :haw:

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Bloody economic migrants, look at their clean clothes. Poverty and hardship my arse.

Send em back.

Good on ya Morro.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

There are now armed police at QUT with attack dogs due to the terror level, just roaming the campus acting like creeping fascism isn't happening.

Ayy mate they could attack us anywhere. Even in the bathroom.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Ask them for a job

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

Gough Suppressant posted:

Ask them for a job

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
So this whole terror threat level thing is just a late response to all those explosives and targeted maps found last month, right?
Remember, they arrested that white guy with a history of bomb making, for planning actual attacks?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Do you think they'd sign my book?

Endman
May 18, 2010

Palmersaurus posted:

So this whole terror threat level thing is just a late response to all those explosives and targeted maps found last month, right?
Remember, they arrested that white guy with a history of bomb making, for planning actual attacks?

I don't think so, cap.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin
If ISIL actually managed to let off a bomb in Parliament that killed Tony Abbott or Scott Morrison I'd have to give some serious thought to converting to Islam

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

NORTH KOREA IS ONLY KOREA.

Quantum Mechanic posted:

If ISIL actually managed to let off a bomb in Parliament that killed Tony Abbott or Scott Morrison I'd have to give some serious thought to converting to Islam

Given the experiences of the UK thread and the realities of the current situation here, I feel like saying this kind of poo poo is a really bad idea.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Speaking of that book, there's a quote within that I'm sure everyone here would love:

The Anatomy of Fascism posted:

Friedrich Engels, writing a preface in 1895 for his new edition of Karl Marx’s The Class Struggles in France, clearly believed that wider suffrage would inexorably deliver more votes to the Left.

:negative:

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Reminder that in many countries conservative parties have held power for decade after decade using the short of nonsense abbot and crew are pulling off with the villification of ethnic minorities and the like. We're hosed lol

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

duck monster posted:

Reminder that in many countries conservative parties have held power for decade after decade using the short of nonsense abbot and crew are pulling off with the villification of ethnic minorities and the like. We're hosed lol

Also those countries were invariably smarter than Australia simply by virtue of not being Australia so there is no hope for us.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

T-1000 posted:

They already said they raised the terrorscope level because of what turned out to be the (utterly incompetent) terrorist attack on the warship in India.
Have you a source for this?

Palmersaurus posted:

This I doubt but he was probably a more realistic threat than anything else I've heard of.

https://twitter.com/corybernardi/status/512381674881949696

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...918-10iltb.html

quote:

'Stupid and ignorant': Cory Bernardi's comments linking terrorism raids with a push to ban burqa slammed

September 18, 2014 - 3:54PM Latika Bourke National political reporter

The politics of terror

The government is benefiting from the threat of terrorism, says Mark Kenny, but that doesn't mean it's orchestrating events.

Comments by a Liberal senator linking terror raids with a campaign to ban the burqa have been described as "stupid and ignorant" and designed to "feed prejudice". As news broke of the mass counter-terrorism operation across Sydney and Brisbane, in which 15 people were arrested and one charged, Liberal Senator Cory Bernardi took to Twitter to rail against the burqa as a "shroud of oppression".

Senator Bernardi has been a long-time critic of the burqa, arguing that it is a "symbol of female oppression and Islamic culture", carries security and identification risks and is "un-Australian". Labor leader Bill Shorten on Thursday criticised Senator Bernardi's remarks, telling Fairfax Media that the last thing the country needed was "stupid" and "ignorant" comments from government MPs. "Why on earth is this out-of-touch, out-of-line senator on a rampage with his ignorant and stupid comments?" asked Mr Shorten. "This senator's comments should have no part to play in public life, fuelling fear and suspicion."

Mr Abbott stopped short of rebuking his backbencher on Thursday when asked about Senator Bernardi's comments at a media conference in the Northern Territory, saying there was no need to "fret about people's faith" or "fret about what people wear. Well this isn't about people's religion, it's not about what people wear, it's about potential terror attacks here in Australia and that's what we've got to guard against," he told reporters in Arnhem Land.

Another senior Liberal, Queensland Premier Campbell Newman, warned on Thursday against racial vilification following the raids. "We must not let what we're seeing with these raids and arrests poison the relationships within our community," Mr Newman said. "If anybody uses what's happened to vilify a group, race or religion they are playing into the hands of these would-be-terrorists. That is, helping the terrorist organisations to achieve what they want to achieve."

Mr Shorten said he had "no time for Senator Bernardi's stupid comments. The last thing we need at a time like this are ignorant comments from government MPs that feed prejudice," he said. "We must refuse to submit to this type of fear and intolerance."

Senator Bernardi hit back at Mr Shorten, saying the Labor leader was in no position to offer criticism. "Given Bill Shorten was part of a government that wanted to facilitate sharia-compliant finance laws in our country, his lack of understanding on this matter speaks for itself," he told Fairfax Media.
Neither Brandis or NTATA are prepared to say he was wrong.

Also in light of these recent developments I'd be very careful what you say on social media.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The replies are pretty good.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Kim Jong ill posted:

Given the experiences of the UK thread and the realities of the current situation here, I feel like saying this kind of poo poo is a really bad idea.

Nah it's okay I'm white, I'm part of #TeamAustralia

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

Kim Jong ill posted:

What happened in the UK thread?

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

spacegoat posted:

What happened in the UK thread?

People got house-calls from the pigs for making off-hand comments about terrorism during the 2012 Olympic games.

Endman
May 18, 2010

:siren: Everybody shut the gently caress up, this is important! :siren:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-19/canberra-public-servant-took-longer-work-breaks-to-get-soy-milk/5755108?WT.ac=statenews_act

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Raise soy milk status to critical.

What's the bet Bernardi wasn't actually referring to a burqa anyway, as they are worn by such a small proportion of women?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Zenithe posted:

Raise soy milk status to critical.

What's the bet Bernardi wasn't actually referring to a burqa anyway, as they are worn by such a small proportion of women?

A journalist should ask Bernardi on the spot if he knows the difference between a burqa, niqab or hijab

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Police also at Roma Street, one with an attack dog, the other holding a video camera.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Anidav posted:

Police also at Roma Street, one with an attack dog, the other holding a video camera.

It's actually the chaser. Chas is the dog.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Is there any law against police pointing a fuckin video camera at your face and asking for ID?

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

i got banned posted:

My inability to grow a beard is finally paying dividends

*slashes welfare to everyone except the rich*

This is for iPhone 6, right?

Endman
May 18, 2010

"Next on Australia's Funniest Home Videos this filthy muzzo is mauled by a dog!"

*wacky sound effects play while jugular is torn out by german shepherd*

*audience laughs*

"I bet he's regretting not joining Team Australia."

*audience is now violently cackling*

*police in video are laughing and exchanging high fives as blood spatters all over them*

"Let's have a hand for our boys in blue, or should I say our boys in red!"

*the laughter gains a fever pitch and several audience members are hospitalised*

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Anidav posted:

Is there any law against police pointing a fuckin video camera at your face and asking for ID?

It seems to be standard for police to have their own person filming at protests and the like now.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Lizard Combatant posted:

It seems to be standard for police to have their own person filming at protests and the like now.

That way they can do a Today Tonight style edit to make it look totally different than what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

CrazyTolradi posted:

That way they can do a Today Tonight style edit to make it look totally different than what it is.

Why would the police lie? They're the police, of course what they say is the truth! If you're upset about this maybe you have something to hide!

• Locked thread