Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WesY2K
Mar 26, 2013
RandomStranger, are you clogging up the release pipe again? :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Actually it's me, sort of.

:ssh: We got a better source video at the last minute.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

WesY2K posted:

RandomStranger, are you clogging up the release pipe again? :)

Hey, I'm clogging things up, too. Though with a bit of luck this one should be ready for checking tonight.

Also, I blame Gascoin for putting so many unmiked people on screen and letting them talk for so long.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!
Rockstars... all of you. Patiently awaits the next deluge :)

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

AD Matsumura's secret shame?
she eats an entire package of frozen chijimi every night before bed

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

"Arino, take this dog for a walk and have a breather, and maybe also learn how to better control a dog."

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I was looking forward to this episode before since I could see it going either way with Arino either doing really well or really poorly. That just makes it look incredible.

Also, preliminary next time guess with no hint: Fire and Ice. :v:

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Fantastic new episode! A game that pushes but doesn't utterly break Arino, he finally makes CEO (of Game Center MSX, but it's a start, right?), and good interaction with dogs/the staff's knees

Next time, the main character is OOOn. So, speculation about characters whose names end in `n`

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

I was looking forward to this episode before since I could see it going either way with Arino either doing really well or really poorly. That just makes it look incredible.

Also, preliminary next time guess with no hint: Fire and Ice. :v:

18 seasons in and they finally give him a therapy dog.

Kakaricho fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 18, 2014

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Oh, and the 'goal' of the MSX segment (with CEO Arino) is to guess why the system was called the MSX based on the games. It'll run for ten parts in total.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Kakaricho posted:

Next time, the main character is OOOn. So, speculation about characters whose names end in `n`

Ecco the Dolphin.

I gotta hold onto hope. :unsmith:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kakaricho posted:

I thought for a second I could stick by my no information guess ("ソロモン" as in Solomon's Key), but the main character's name is Dana.

Well, I'll go for the stupid guess since it worked last time and say that they cheated and the character is Gen-San (which is how he's referred to in the title of the game). That's a series of games that's overdue for appearing on the show, anyway.

NmareBfly posted:

Ecco the Dolphin.

I gotta hold onto hope. :unsmith:

The trick is four characters.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Patapon! :haw:

But seriously tho', I too hope it's Gen-San (Hammerin' Harry). I played the SuperFamicom game some years ago, it could work as a challenge. It's not that long, but the difficulty curve is steep enough to make things interesting.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"
If things with Konami are repaired (Are they? I've been kinda out of it lately) I don't think one of the later Goemon games would be out of the question...

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kakaricho posted:

I don't know the Japanese made a game about Kyoon :sax:

Probably not Coryoon/コリュン, then, since the title has always been romanized.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 18, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Arino plays a Sega.

Episode 181 - Gunstar Heroes

https://mega.co.nz/#!TdlmxK5Z!SMiQj3AGEtimQDxMMaqisaOprX3r0d4GncrKN6ei5Fg

60 fps - does anyone actually need the 30 fps version? I'll do a render if so, but don't know if it's actually necessary.

gunstarheroes
Mar 11, 2013

univbee posted:

Arino plays a Sega.

Episode 181 - Gunstar Heroes

https://mega.co.nz/#!TdlmxK5Z!SMiQj3AGEtimQDxMMaqisaOprX3r0d4GncrKN6ei5Fg

60 fps - does anyone actually need the 30 fps version? I'll do a render if so, but don't know if it's actually necessary.

-looks at username-
Today is the greatest day, thank you GCCX!

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

The gun angle makes me think of that Rob Liefeld drawing of the kid shooting backwards:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

fenix down posted:

The gun angle makes me think of that Rob Liefeld drawing of the kid shooting backwards:

Oops forgot the gun!

There, that fix I just applied certainly does the job. Wheres my check?

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Today is a good day. :unsmith:

About 30 FPS releases: what are the advantages to it? Does it negate screen flicker from game footage?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Mega apparently thinks the file is larger than a gig and is demanding I install their browser extension. Blar.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Allen Wren posted:

Mega apparently thinks the file is larger than a gig and is demanding I install their browser extension. Blar.
Strange; I downloaded it without difficulty. What browser did you use? I'm on Google Chrome.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Firefox.

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

Firefox here, just downloaded it without a problem, maybe it has something to do with having Adblock.

Strotski fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Sep 19, 2014

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I'll start downloading it later before I go to bed, but thank you guys again for doing the newer episodes! I can't wait to watch this even though I already watched the raw (but I do enjoy the translated versions more since I know what everyone's saying :)).

jyrque posted:

About 30 FPS releases: what are the advantages to it? Does it negate screen flicker from game footage?
It's likely related to the file size since I think 60 fps videos are larger than 30 fps ones. Plus, maybe some lower end systems can't handle 60 fps videos as well as 30 fps ones.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Solved it - firefox basically starts chunking on everything once it's eating enough RAM and Mega throws an error if firefox doesn't allow it enough RAM.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I love Gunstar Heroes, it's one of my favourite Megadrive games. Too bad it's getting a bit expensive nowadays like most popular MD titles. Thanks for the release!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I'm sure a classic cart would be expensive, but the numerous modern ports--the ones I know of are on the 360 and Steam--are dirt cheap.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I know, I know. I just have a thing for original games. I had enough trouble convincing myself to buy Symphony of the Night from PSN store on the grounds of it being stupid expensive (for PAL at least) and I can't count on cd-based games working as long as older cart based ones.

e: Also you forgot credits from the episode post.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Sep 19, 2014

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Obeast posted:

It's likely related to the file size since I think 60 fps videos are larger than 30 fps ones. Plus, maybe some lower end systems can't handle 60 fps videos as well as 30 fps ones.

If it's only about file size, wouldn't resizing the video view have same results without effect to FPS itself? Something like a 480p release instead of 720p? That is, if the source video the 60 FPS version is made from isn't a crummy 320p VHS copy of a copy to begin with as some of the very early GCCX raw video files were. :v:

I don't have a bandwidth limit on my home internet so I personally don't mind file size. If 60 FPS is also the original frame rate then I don't mind that either. I think I watched the previous release at 30 FPS and didn't see it making any real difference to the viewing experience.

e:
vvvv: oh, I hadn't thought about that. First I've heard about that though.

jyrque fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Sep 19, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

30fps would be smaller but not by much (like 100-150 megs savings). It's possible some playback devices might not like a 60fps file, which is why I asked.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Obeast posted:

Anyone using a processor newer than a Pentium 3 (even with integrated video) shouldn't have any issues running the 60 FPS versions. Unless Fuji TV starts airing these in 1920x1080 at 60 FPS, no one should have any issues playing either the 30 or 60 FPS files. That being said, isn't the NTSC standard 29.97 FPS? I'm not sure what the 60 FPS videos do, other than double the total number of frames in the files. I've only watched one 60 FPS GCCX episode and it kinda reminds me of watching a 30 FPS video on a 120 Hz TV with auto-motion plus enabled. In any event, thanks for the new episode. Once Gunstar Heroes finishes downloading, I'll have seen every translated episode of GCCX. Time to start over from the beginning or attempt to find and watch the Donkey Kong Country 2 raw episodes.

Also, shoutouts to whoever manages the SA-GCCX and GamingCX sites. I'm particularly fond of GamingCX because I have awful 2 Mbps DSL and don't mind the slightly lower video quality if I can just hop into a video without having to deal with a 1+ GB download or a torrent. Vidbull gives me issues, but the other video hosting provider is excellent.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 19, 2014

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Bloodplay it again posted:

I've only watched one 60 FPS GCCX episode and it kinda reminds me of watching a 30 FPS video on a 120 Hz TV with auto-motion plus enabled.

Yeah, that's what it looked like to me too, like it doubled the frames and then sped it up, and some of the frames apparently weren't doubled since there are small stretches where the video would play at double speed. The audio never desynced though, so I don't really know. Maybe it was just the player I was using.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah, that's what it looked like to me too, like it doubled the frames and then sped it up, and some of the frames apparently weren't doubled since there are small stretches where the video would play at double speed. The audio never desynced though, so I don't really know. Maybe it was just the player I was using.

I think it depends on how the source is being captured. If it's 29.97 FPS being captured at 60, then the capture card is likely looking for 60 frames, noticing there are slightly less than half available, and making adjustments as it's captured. If that's the case, then the even-numbered frames would just be mixtures of the odd-numbered frames (i.e. frame 2 is just a mixture of frame 1 and 3). Actually, now that I think about it, even if it's being captured at 29.97 FPS and there's software being used to increase it to 60 FPS, it's probably doing the same thing, which is why the video looks like it's being sped up, but the audio is fine. Your media player isn't malfunctioning or anything. Regardless of whether it's 30 or 60, I can't complain because most of my Japanese knowledge is super basic ("gamay overa" and "kowai") and a few people are doing tons of tedious work for zero profit.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Nina has finally met the Chief and keeps posting about all kinds of cool stuff to Twitter. I will console myself with Gunstar Heroes once I return home from work. :3:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Bloodplay it again posted:

That being said, isn't the NTSC standard 29.97 FPS?

The NTSC standard is 29.97 FPS but each frame has two fields (basically a frame with scanlines) which gives you 59.94 unique images a second and persists in the television world, still being used for things which aren't pre-recorded or going for that look, and is most commonly associated in the west with soap operas. This is also why sometimes in the old days if you paused a VHS tape it would jitter between two images; you're locked onto a frame which keeps refreshing both fields (because that's how old CRT's worked). It's also used for basically all Japanese TV, GCCX included, and old video games basically all run at 60fps (even on the Atari 2600) up until they went properly 3D in the N64/PS1 days. It's also why there's a conversation about getting games working at 60fps on newer consoles; if NTSC were truly locked at 30 images a second this wouldn't be a conversation we have. In the PC space it's possible to get >60fps setups (the Hz refresh rate on your monitor is basically your optimal FPS so you can run a game at 120fps on a 120Hz monitor) but this isn't used for TV distribution at all (although filming at higher framerates is how slow-mo is accomplished or certain looks; Saving Private Ryan's opening was filmed at 96fps so the 1/4 of the frames which were kept were much sharper and gave a more chaotic appearance)

PC playback at 60fps should be fine (although a Pentium 3 is probably pushing it since this is x264-encoded at 720p) but I'm more concerned about devices which might be strict about the encoding levels.

King Vidiot posted:

This happens with some versions of I think VLC, switch to MPC-HC if you can or make sure you're all up-to-date.

univbee fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Sep 19, 2014

Major Helper
Feb 18, 2013

Not necessarily
all that helpful
Thanks for another great release, had a blast (dohoho) watching it.

Jakespeare
May 10, 2013
Ahh Gunstar heroes.. one of the few genesis games that I thoroughly enjoyed playing. Most appreciative of this episode.. truly a treasure :D Already looking forward to the next episode. .since I'm a gccx junky

gunstarheroes
Mar 11, 2013
Well i was really sad that they didn't show Arino's reaction to Black throwing out an exploding fake gem after you defeat him in the board game stage otherwise i was thoroughly pleased watching Arino play my favorite game of all time.

Now about Dynamite Headdy and Yu Yu Hakusho...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

gunstarheroes posted:

Well i was really sad that they didn't show Arino's reaction to Black throwing out an exploding fake gem after you defeat him in the board game stage
Yeah, given how low his health was at that point, I was expecting him to get killed by that. But I guess he wasn't standing in the (right/wrong) spot.