Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

mfcrocker posted:

Yes because being trans is something that only happens in your room :stare:
and involves pamphlets apparently???

it's not like trans people have to worry about violence or anything, just rocking up to some rando's house not knowing if they're likely to try and cave your head in is a fantastic idea and I say go for it
wanting to be sure you're not going to be beaten to death in your own bed is just so loving entitled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013
More landlord tales of woe.

On Saturday our landlord sent us a new tenancy agreement in which the rent is going up £100 per month per room, accompanied by a letter which amounted to "Yeah the rent's going up, but it's still in line with the local area so button it. Also, I need this signed and returned to me by the 20th."

Thing is he isn't wrong, and the reason he's raising the rent is to pay for several "improvements" imposed on him by the council (such as bars across the windows to stop people falling out and my wonderful fire door with a huge gap at the bottom, which is bound stop me dying from smoke inhalation for sure!). The lovely part is he not only expected us to agree to a huge rent increase in a matter of days, he wants us to start this new tenancy a month before our previous one has actually expired.

We've emailed him to say, first and foremost, we have no intention on signing anything that starts before our previous tenancy is up. Even then we're unsure of the legalities; the 1988 Housing Act stipulates at least six months notice must before given before any rent increases are imposed, but it's not clear if this applies to changes to an existing contract or to a new one. The Citizen's Advice Bureau couldn't tell me for sure, they recommended I attend a drop in session with the local legal advice service the next day. I turn up to be told they're full and to come back next week.

It's a moot point anyway, since we'd be facing eviction should we dig our heels in to negotiate a better deal. I'm willing to risk it, but other flatmates aren't, so the only thing to do is for those of us who aren't willing to pay the increase to move out.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Green Wing posted:

The housing market is bollocks, it shouldn't be this hard to find a place to live, and having to now spend hundreds of pounds to go and few rooms/flats is bollocks. Am I doing something wrong?
commuting back & forth for to see each possible place is the wrong way.
if you're moving long distance don't treat it like you would if you were finding a new flat local to where you are now.
get a room in a cheap hostel for a week or so and blitz it.
take the first decent place you find as a short term option. don't be fussy about living in a box room temporarily - you can put your stuff in a storage locker.
then when you're actually in the right part of the country already start looking for something long term.
if Brighton's proving too expensive and/or difficult look outside of town and commute.

mfcrocker posted:

Yes because being trans is something that only happens in your room :stare:
common expression just means 'your private life'

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

escapegoat posted:

Even then we're unsure of the legalities; the 1988 Housing Act stipulates at least six months notice must before given before any rent increases are imposed, but it's not clear if this applies to changes to an existing contract or to a new one. The Citizen's Advice Bureau couldn't tell me for sure,

Give Shelter a call - despite popular belief that they just focus on homelessness, they're all over bad landlords and seem to know the law pretty well. They were really helpful to my sister with a complex issue she had.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Cerv posted:

common expression just means 'your private life'

I wasn't aware that trans status was considered part of your private life (note: this isn't to say it's of public interest either). If your potential housemates don't give a poo poo, fuckin' a, but it's definitely worth bringing up in case you're likely to get your head kicked in for being you.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Prince John posted:

Give Shelter a call - despite popular belief that they just focus on homelessness, they're all over bad landlords and seem to know the law pretty well. They were really helpful to my sister with a complex issue she had.

Yeah Shelter are a great organization for this kind of thing. Chances are good if they can't help you, they can definitely put you in contact with someone who can.

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

they can't raise the rent during the current tenancy agreement if there is only a month left but they can raise it for a renewal the buggers. if negotiations fail it could take them a couple of months to get you evicted (should you wish to go that route...)

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

vaguely posted:

and involves pamphlets apparently???

it's not like trans people have to worry about violence or anything, just rocking up to some rando's house not knowing if they're likely to try and cave your head in is a fantastic idea and I say go for it
wanting to be sure you're not going to be beaten to death in your own bed is just so loving entitled

Everyone has to worry about violence.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Zero Gravitas posted:

Masters place confirmed! :science: :getin:

Oh god now I really need to find more work :gonk:

People kinda glossed over this, but congrats mate. Sounds like you earned it.

More than I did at least.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

mfcrocker posted:

I wasn't aware that trans status was considered part of your private life (note: this isn't to say it's of public interest either). If your potential housemates don't give a poo poo, fuckin' a, but it's definitely worth bringing up in case you're likely to get your head kicked in for being you.
I don't know if you're even disagreeing with me. It's not public info defiantly, so if you won't say it's private info what's the third option?

By all means bring it up, but I'd personally wait till further down the conversation. After you've got some idea if you'd want to share with them anyway.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

Cerv posted:

I don't know if you're even disagreeing with me. It's not public info defiantly, so if you won't say it's private info what's the third option?

I'd say it was a form of self identity

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008
It's over, we're staying. Hail the baby.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
As an english person I don't really care either way. It seems annoying to me that we are going to have keep going through this process over and over again though. Just get it over with.

Maybe we can talk about some thing else now for a bit though?

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Jippa posted:

As an english person I don't really care either way. It seems annoying to me that we are going to have keep going through this process over and over again though. Just get it over with.

Maybe we can talk about some thing else now for a bit though?

Cameron is giving a massive speech soon, which going on what various MP's have been saying through the night is going to signal a federalisation of the whole UK. Its going to be a nightmare to work out the detail for it though.

Makes sense for Cameron as it should also destroy a large part of UKIP's appeal as well.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

ukle posted:

Cameron is giving a massive speech soon, which going on what various MP's have been saying through the night is going to signal a federalisation of the whole UK. Its going to be a nightmare to work out the detail for it though.

Makes sense for Cameron as it should also destroy a large part of UKIP's appeal as well.

I said this in the other thread, but this entire concept is surreal to me. I refuse to believe that we've backed England into federation. :psyduck:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I feel like the partner who's stormed out after a row, and are now meekly trying to slip back in the front door the next morning.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Guavanaut posted:

I'm more of a fan of putting basic third-party insurance on fuel, like they do in South Africa. A small increase in fuel prices goes to the Road Accident Fund, which is a state third-party insurer established by statute. That way, if you're hit by an uninsured driver (either as a pedestrian, another driver, or your property is damaged) you're not completely screwed, and you don't need to pay extra for special anti-uninsured driver insurance. It also seems to work out cheaper than the cost of tracking down and penalizing uninsured drivers, but I'm not sure how much the additional fuel price increase would be in the UK.

We already do this via the Motor Insurers Bureau, which a percentage of car insurance payments goes towards.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Serotonin posted:

We already do this via the Motor Insurers Bureau, which a percentage of car insurance payments goes towards.

Which is a shitload more equitable than putting it on the fuel, because the amount of fuel a vehicle burns has almost no relation to it's risk to third parties. Of course the MIB are even bigger bastards than the sum of their parts when it comes to actually claiming from them.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Autonomous Monster posted:

I said this in the other thread, but this entire concept is surreal to me. I refuse to believe that we've backed England into federation. :psyduck:

I'll believe it when I see it. More likely there'll be a few gestures, a lot of vague promises of what's to come after the general election (VOTE TORY) and some general screwing over of Scotland to appease the backbenchers and the braying English masses with their FURY OVER SCOTTISH HANDOUTS

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Autonomous Monster posted:

A FPTP English parliament with a mandate over law enforcement, income tax and the NHS? What's not to love?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

baka kaba posted:

I'll believe it when I see it. More likely there'll be a few gestures, a lot of vague promises of what's to come after the general election (VOTE TORY) and some general screwing over of Scotland to appease the backbenchers and the braying English masses with their FURY OVER SCOTTISH HANDOUTS

*ignores entire statement just given by Cameron about the federalisation of the UK and the plans for Devo max to be in place by November.*

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

Choosing to benefit from an empire of murder and genocide makes you complicit.
:scotland:
lol, nice meltdown

serious gaylord posted:

*ignores entire statement just given by Cameron about the federalisation of the UK and the plans for Devo max to be in place by November.*

They're full of poo poo, it isn't devo max and it's not guaranteed. The question is how far the lies go, will Shetland go independent and take all the oil?

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

We'll take our chances...

serious gaylord posted:

Slight correction, the plans fall far short of devo-max. Agreed on the rest though.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Spooky Hyena posted:

They're full of poo poo, it isn't devo max and it's not guaranteed. The question is how far the lies go, will Shetland go independent and take all the oil?

The laws will be published in January.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

I expect the devolution powers to be far-reaching, because I think senior Tories have realised that anything they can hand off to a FPTP English parliament is theirs forever.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
I made this observation several times in the Scotland thread, but 'full fiscal self-determination' (i.e., devo max) with minimal transfers would be a Tory paradise

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
So basically the outcome of the indyref is that London and the South-East get vastly more money, Scotland's resources remain more or less as they are now, and Wales/Northern England/Cornwall get hellfucked forever.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

LemonDrizzle posted:

So basically the outcome of the indyref is that London and the South-East get vastly more money,
Not so much that as it is they'll burn the English NHS & welfare to the ground, along with income tax if they can get it.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

coffeetable posted:

Not so much that as it is they'll burn the English NHS & welfare to the ground, along with income tax if they can get it.

Would be hilarious if they did and it led to a mass exodus of poor englishpeople moving to scotland and wales

e: whoops, not the gbs indyref thread

Torka fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Sep 19, 2014

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
yup. I do not understand the insistence in the Scotland thread that the Tories won't wholeheartedly embrace federalization, now that New Labour and Lib Dem alike are flatfootedly embracing an awkward double devo of devolved revenue and then further devolved administrative powers below it. The traditional base of support for transfers is collapsing under regional distinctions trumping class and career distinctions - if one opposes transfers from People Like Us to People Not Like Us, now's the best time to strike.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

serious gaylord posted:

I didn't see it, all I can find is vague waffle about nebulous changes and powers, shutting Scotland out of votes, and talk of 'in the next Parliament'. Got a source where he lays all this stuff out?

I mean this is a government that cut funding to local councils and then went after them for daring to try and maintain some revenue by raising council tax or changing bin collections. But no, I'm sure full devolution of the north is surely on its way now!

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

baka kaba posted:

I didn't see it, all I can find is vague waffle about nebulous changes and powers, shutting Scotland out of votes, and talk of 'in the next Parliament'. Got a source where he lays all this stuff out?

I mean this is a government that cut funding to local councils and then went after them for daring to try and maintain some revenue by raising council tax or changing bin collections. But no, I'm sure full devolution of the north is surely on its way now!

Its very early days, its going to take years maybe even decades for all this to be sorted out. Short term is changes to give Scotland full Income tax control, and a few other powers.

Beyond that due to the election looming everything else will probably have to wait till after that. If they do it properly it would mean trying to work out what form the federalization takes place e.g. stick to the countries (completely unfeasable due to Englands size and diversity), regional areas, etc. Then what rules to pass to the areas, its all complicated and a lot of MP's are going to try and stop it as it risks them being out of a job.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
It's just amazing how, after weeks of the Scottish people battling over the power to represent themselves, after terrible pleas from English politicians about how much they love Scotland, as soon as we get a conclusive answers all anybody can talk about on the news is what this means for England.

All this topped of by Nigel Farage revealing that, when it comes down to it, he only really cares about England. I hate this goddamn country

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Answers Me posted:

All this topped of by Nigel Farage revealing that, when it comes down to it, he only really cares about England. I hate this goddamn country
lol why would you care about the colonies

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

ukle posted:

Its very early days, its going to take years maybe even decades for all this to be sorted out. Short term is changes to give Scotland full Income tax control, and a few other powers.

Beyond that due to the election looming everything else will probably have to wait till after that. If they do it properly it would mean trying to work out what form the federalization takes place e.g. stick to the countries (completely unfeasable due to Englands size and diversity), regional areas, etc. Then what rules to pass to the areas, its all complicated and a lot of MP's are going to try and stop it as it risks them being out of a job.

Well that's what I'm saying, I'll believe it when I see it. There's been plenty of vague promises trotted out over this, and Cameron himself barely has any physical substance, never mind the things he says. And he's said a lot of politically expedient things, over the years.

I don't doubt there'll be changes happening, just not in the interests of areas outside the southeast. Right now there's a placating narrative going down, people voted as desired and now they need to hear that yes, you will be rewarded... and yes, areas in England too will get some free power too, because why not... it's only fair... Just be patient...

Does anyone sincerely take anything these people say at face value?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

baka kaba posted:

Does anyone sincerely take anything these people say at face value?
I do when it's in their (and their mates') own interests to see those things through.

Whatever's devolved to the Scottish parliament will be devolved to the English parliament. Whatever's devolved to the English parliament will be Tory territory for a very long time.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

baka kaba posted:

they 'went after' bin collections by trying to pay councils to conduct bin collections from general revenue

like the US, the struggle for conservatives is how to fund local services for only themselves whilst retaining an appearance of egalitarianism. This is how - local jurisdictions with a larger number of the upper middle class get subsidies and services important to them fine-tuned out of general revenue, and so have their priorities met without becoming sympathetic to the prospect of higher local revenue. Poorer local jurisdictions have to set similar rates, whilst being patted on the head and told that they - like richer jurisdictions - compete on an "equal" basis for revenue to fund local schools and local healthcare. Which is "fair", because nobody wants to live there their cost of living is lower.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

^^^ In the end that's basically the same thing though, no? Local authorities were given funding cuts and told to make savings, but then their specific choices about triage and revenue raising were directly and publicly undermined, by Pickles no less (the person meant to be promoting local autonomy and decision-making). Did councils which decided to cut bin collections end up getting free additional funding as a result?

Answers Me posted:

It's just amazing how, after weeks of the Scottish people battling over the power to represent themselves, after terrible pleas from English politicians about how much they love Scotland, as soon as we get a conclusive answers all anybody can talk about on the news is what this means for England.

Scotland gets jack poo poo. Independence is over, in return they've been promised... what exactly? 'Powers' over taxation etc., but nothing concrete, no agreement on what the give and take will be. If anything the No vote can be spun as a vote for whatever changes Westminster decides to make, and with that mandate they can effectively choose whatever terms suit them. Scotland gets 'powers', in return Scotland loses funding and influence in line with what English politicians have wanted for a long time.

I mean really, what reason is there to assume Scotland will come out ahead of England on this? Their cards have been played and they just have to wait hopefully to see what Westminster decides. That's why all the talk is about what it means for England - the door's been blown open and their are bountiful opportunities to divvy everything up however Westminster desires. And it's an opportunity to finally remake England in ways that would typically face resistance. It's a magical world of possibilities for the people making these decisions!

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Sep 19, 2014

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

baka kaba posted:

Scotland gets jack poo poo. Independence is over, in return they've been promised... what exactly? 'Powers' over taxation etc., but nothing concrete, no agreement on what the give and take will be. If anything the No vote can be spun as a vote for whatever changes Westminster decides to make, and with that mandate they can effectively choose whatever terms suit them. Scotland gets 'powers', in return Scotland loses funding and influence in line with what English politicians have wanted for a long time.

I mean really, what reason is there to assume Scotland will come out ahead of England on this? Their cards have been played and they just have to wait hopefully to see what Westminster decides. That's why all the talk is about what it means for England - the door's been blown open and their are bountiful opportunities to divvy everything up however Westminster desires. And it's an opportunity to finally remake England in ways that would typically face resistance. It's a magical world of possibilities for the people making these decisions!

the bolded would've been true either way

I would say Scotland is likely to get what it wants, most prominently being the OIIIIIIL, since the oil would nicely cancel off the existing public expenditure transfers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

ronya posted:

the bolded would've been true either way

I would say Scotland is likely to get what it wants, most prominently being the OIIIIIIL, since the oil would nicely cancel off the existing public expenditure transfers

Yeah but my point is they've tacitly entered into a de facto open-ended agreement, where some vague powers have been promised in return for... potentially anything. It's basically supermarket sweep for Westminster now. There's no reason for them to relinquish more than they take back, and it will always be spun as 'we gave you what you wanted!'

I mean you can argue Scotland would have been worse off under independence too, but I don't see any reason to assume their position within the union will be anything but a net minus after this. Cameron just doesn't need to make a good or even fair offer - if anything it's in his interests to gently caress Scotland over and broaden his support in his voting base. I'd like my cynicism to be completely misplaced, but I ain't hopeful!

• Locked thread