Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme
Is there any info about Dynamic Super Resolution, is it hardware-based and therefore limited to Maxwell or will it be available for previous architectures?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

The 980 makes me want to replace my ~ 8 month old 780 Lightning... Must resist....

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
EVGA has some of them in stock

http://www.evga.com/Products/ProductList.aspx?type=0&family=GeForce+900+Series+Family&chipset=GTX+980

http://www.evga.com/Products/ProductList.aspx?type=0&family=GeForce+900+Series+Family&chipset=GTX+970

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
This is incredibly hot stuff, and I am elated that NVIDIA decided not to do their usual high pricing (although the 980 is not worth it, the 970 is so close in perf but much lower in price).

I find the reference cooler a little disappointing, though. I feel if they kept the vapour chamber, it wouldn't throttle, and the OC headroom would be even better.

That little annoyance aside, NVIDIA has really pulled out an impressive trick on 28nm, and everyone was who waited for this was 100% right to do so.

The 290 and 290X suddenly moved from competitive to uncompetitive, in my view. Even if the prices were in the right spot, the 970 and 980 consume far less power, thus NVIDIA would still be on top. We're not talking a little bit, we're talking 100W+ of heat in real terms under load.

AMD will be making GBS threads themselves right now, as they simply don't have an answer.

They better forget about that 390X that we saw leaked, too. A ridiculously high power card with a CLC for one GPU just isn't going to be acceptable.

Edit: I'm disappointed with the UK pricing I see right now for the 970. We're talking £260-£320. How is that $329 + 20% VAT (which would be £240, and very reasonable).

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Sep 19, 2014

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I dunno, it's kinda ruled playing every game at max settings for the last entire time I've owned a computer. Priorities and all that but fun time can be badass - it's unfortunate that so many good games today don't tax graphics much (because they've got gameplay or story or both to make them a Good Game), while lovely shovelware big-industry titles look amazing (because they have incredibly talented teams of underpaid artists!) and play exactly like the last version but this time it's BROWNER.

Still, probably going to continue to rule to max settings for the rare game that combines a really fun time with impressive graphics - I'm waiting to see if their fancy new FSAA-alike is backwards compatible with the 700-series Kepler cards, and if I get Borderlands TPS for "free" instead of paying a much smaller sum for just that game which my current setup will run like a motherfucker guaranteed.

Edit: that said it loving sucks that I bought a 780 and then they released the 780Ti right after my step-up ran out and I for some hosed up reason decided to go from a solidly overclocked 780 to a 780Ti. I got lucky with this chip, and if you're gonna buy this time before the real binning of the chips has begun is about your best bet to get a really good chip (but you've got an even shot of getting a not so good one, too; no real binning yet goes both ways). May the odds be ever in your favor :buddy:

Agreed fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Sep 19, 2014

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

I prescribe a dirt bath and a diet of freshwater karp.
From the reactions and reviews so far, it sounds like this would be a very wise upgrade for somebody with something like a 660ti such as myself. I'm heading over to the US in December, would I be a fool to pick a 980/970 up?

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
I was almost sure I was going to grab a 980, since I was almost committed to getting one of the 34" 21:9 screens. But with the price on that 970 I'm now contemplating "settling" with one of those and staying with my K-IPS while I hope Displayport 1.2a with Adaptive sync becomes standard before I cave in to upgrade urges.

norg
Jul 5, 2006
If I'm buying a 970 to go in a Prodigy am I better off getting one with a crappy blower cooler to vent out the back? Or is an ACX/Twin Frozr etc still worth doing?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Welp, EVGA has managed to go backwards with their ACX 2.0 cooler. TPU has it as almost twice as loud as the reference design, and barely cooler. How they managed to do this with a 145 watt card I don't know. Looks like MSI is going to rule the cooler roost yet again. The new STRIX cooler is also quite good on noise on the low TDP cards, if overpriced in Australia at least :australia: (an extra $180 dollars over reference in aussie).

^^Don't buy an ACX card this gen, it is junk. Wait for reviews on the new TF5 from MSI, it is a radical change so it could swing either way. Prodigy's have very good airflow so a non-reference card is very likely ideal.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Is the 980 a full G204 or are parts of it locked?

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Khagan posted:

Is the 980 a full G204 or are parts of it locked?
Full GM204.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Just bought an ASUS STRIX 970 that came up on Komplett 30 mins ago (€350), since I had a nasty accident with my PC 2 weeks ago. :rubshands:

I just discovered that the 900 series existed 90 mins ago thanks to this thread and a jabber channel, while I was searching for a new 780. :shepicide:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

School Nickname posted:

since I had a nasty accident with my PC 2 weeks ago. :rubshands:

That's why I'll never have a case with open top vents.

norg
Jul 5, 2006

BurritoJustice posted:

^^Don't buy an ACX card this gen, it is junk. Wait for reviews on the new TF5 from MSI, it is a radical change so it could swing either way. Prodigy's have very good airflow so a non-reference card is very likely ideal.

Ok cool, I've taken the 3.5" bay out and have a 230mm Spectre Pro as a front intake so hopefully it'll be fine to get the TF card, even if it is making GBS threads hot air right into the case.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Just found a MSI GeForce GTX 980 Gaming about 1300-1600 DKK or 200-300$ below other offerings. There goes my willpower. Fingers crossed they don't catch it before it's confirmed.

webhallen.dk

Note, still more expensive than 970 around these parts, but not by much.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Hamburger Test posted:

Just found a MSI GeForce GTX 980 Gaming about 1300-1600 DKK or 200-300$ below other offerings. There goes my willpower. Fingers crossed they don't catch it before it's confirmed.

Whoa. EUR 390.00 instead of EUR 579.00 at one of the largest online retailers in Germany.
But it looks they don't ship outside of Denmark. drat.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I want a 970 so bad but I have to wait until I get paid again next Friday.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Sep 19, 2014

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I have been kind of wanting to upgrade my 1GB 7850 (despite only having had it a little over a year) and now that I see the figures for the 970 I think that will be a worthy upgrade. Of course then I will to start rolling pennies for a 2560 x 1440 monitor as well...

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Hamburger Test posted:

webhallen.dk

Note, still more expensive than 970 around these parts, but not by much.

Jesus why is that so cheap, must be an error. That is like 60% of reference models on the same site. Only 460 or so AUD. I would honestly pay you to buy me two and ship them to me that is incredible, the cards are like eight hundred dollars over here.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
The original site is Swedish, and on that section the price is at the level of other custom 980s.

I haven't gotten an actual order confirmation yet which I think is when it becomes legally binding. Shops here usually send a "bestilling" confirmation before the the "ordre" confirmation. Both words translate to "order"...

There are some intricacies about "offer" and "invitation to make an offer" in consumer law, but I'm probably not going to fight too hard for it if it falls through.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
Is it wise to wait for a 960 model or should I sell my 660 and cop a 970?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

norg posted:

Ok cool, I've taken the 3.5" bay out and have a 230mm Spectre Pro as a front intake so hopefully it'll be fine to get the TF card, even if it is making GBS threads hot air right into the case.

If you have a prodigy with side vents, a non blower cooler is ideal because it sucks air directly from the outside through the vents - the prodigy with replacement fans has some of the best cooling on the market.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Where is my $40 gtx910 htpc card with HDMI 2 and h265 decoding.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Agreed posted:

No poo poo, if Borderlands the Pre Sequel is included in the 900-series bundle I'm getting a 980. A 970 is clearly a smarter buy, but I guess there is a tradition to keep here... And then I'll have a golden-chip 780Ti to sell, oh god it's happening again

I have a slot in my pc for your 780 ti :p

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

Where is my $40 gtx910 htpc card with HDMI 2 and h265 decoding.

I want a card that has hardware frame interpolation.

I'd buy that poo poo in a heartbeat.

I use SmoothVideo Project all the time, I don't care about the odd artifact; watching video at 60fps is loving intoxicating.

However, doing that on a full bluray remux bogs down my 2500K @ 4.4 to 80% or so, and ramps up my gpu fan like billy-o. Some custom hardware to pull it off effortlessly would be great.

I guess it doesn't help that I also use MadVR to present, it also puts load on the gpu.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Sep 19, 2014

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

HalloKitty posted:

They better forget about that 390X that we saw leaked, too. A ridiculously high power card with a CLC for one GPU just isn't going to be acceptable.

I dunno, speaking as one who stuck a CLC on a GeForce 680, I can definitely see why they'd do that even with a reasonable GPU power draw. Bottom line: it is effective as hell and quiet as heck. Outrageously so. Dual-fan open-air coolers are like the chump brigade next to a CLC. Coming right off of being rightfully blasted for their ineffective leafblower design, a CLC (at least as an option) is the perfect "Lesson learned" gesture and a real kick in the pants to Nvidia, whose noise-optimized 980 reference cooler still rattles around at 47 dBA.

Maybe the 390X will be a hot mess that needs it and it's too late to change it, but then even more it's loving great that they'll offer a CLC instead of their rear end-goblin plastic blower.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 19, 2014

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

I'm flip flopping between 970 SLI and picking up a used 780ti so badly right now. Obviously 780ti sli would be ridiculous, but the power... it's probably going to come down to if I can safely SLI 780ti with 750 watt capstone psu or not. That's gotta be on the edge. edit: I guess I could undervolt, lord knows I wouldn't need to overclock at all. That seems so wrong though

In any case this release gave me the itch, bad

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Sep 19, 2014

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Blah, eVGA is already sold out and Amazon is really just a pre-order.

Does any site actually have anything in stock?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

1gnoirents posted:

I'm flip flopping between 970 SLI and picking up a used 780ti so badly right now. Obviously 780ti sli would be ridiculous, but the power... it's probably going to come down to if I can safely SLI 780ti with 750 watt capstone psu or not. That's gotta be on the edge. edit: I guess I could undervolt, lord knows I wouldn't need to overclock at all. That seems so wrong though

In any case this release gave me the itch, bad

You might as just get a 980 now and add another later, because there is 0% chance you won't end up there eventually.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Factory Factory posted:

Maybe the 390X will be a hot mess that needs it and it's too late to change it

That's kind of what I fear, it'll be a binned and overclocked 290X that needs that kind of cooling, as opposed to using it for extreme silence.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Tab8715 posted:

Blah, eVGA is already sold out and Amazon is really just a pre-order.

Does any site actually have anything in stock?
Newegg? GTX 900 series on Newegg

If there's a specific model you were eying, nowinstock.net will notify you when Amazon gets an item in stock, and Newegg's in-stock notifier is excellent as well.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Hace posted:

You might as just get a 980 now and add another later, because there is 0% chance you won't end up there eventually.

:v:

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Who wants to buy a Titan Black?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Factory Factory posted:

I dunno, speaking as one who stuck a CLC on a GeForce 680, I can definitely see why they'd do that even with a reasonable GPU power draw. Bottom line: it is effective as hell and quiet as heck. Outrageously so. Dual-fan open-air coolers are like the chump brigade next to a CLC. Coming right off of being rightfully blasted for their ineffective leafblower design, a CLC (at least as an option) is the perfect "Lesson learned" gesture and a real kick in the pants to Nvidia, whose noise-optimized 980 reference cooler still rattles around at 47 dBA.

Maybe the 390X will be a hot mess that needs it and it's too late to change it, but then even more it's loving great that they'll offer a CLC instead of their rear end-goblin plastic blower.

I'm not seeing what you're saying. The 980 has such a low TDP that the big cooler can handle it pretty effortlessly. 34DbA is really quiet. Not to mention that the MSI and Asus Strix 980s are REALLY quiet. Both have completely passive operation up to light loads, something a CLC will never be able to do, and also the time when noise will be the most noticeable as there isn't a game to drone it out. The MSI also has crazy dual fan control, where only one fan spins up at moderate loads, or one fan spinning normally and another barely spinning. I don't think a CLC can improve on this, as it always needs to be running and there is the additional sound of the pump.

I do agree however that AMD putting CLCs on their reference models is a huge step up from their stupid past reference coolers.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
I was using AnandTech's numbers.

E: Huh, that's odd...

Why is a 165W card slotting between a 195W card and a 230W card?

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 19, 2014

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

I guess they give you more voltage to play with than before for overclocking.

The is also the very first time I've ever even considered a blower cooler now that the noise levels are reasonable for them, for the sake of SLI. Open air cooler 770 SLI was difficult, to say the least, when it came to top card temperatures

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Since those numbers are for total system power consumption it's conceivable to me that the OCed 980 cranks so many frames that it also demands more CPU power to keep it properly fed.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Factory Factory posted:

I was using AnandTech's numbers.

E: Huh, that's odd...

Why is a 165W card slotting between a 195W card and a 230W card?

As I understand it, the power target can be adjusted on reference models to about 20% or so, depending on mfg and binning but that hasn't ~really~ started yet, apart from the usual likelihood that press got Really Good Samples for the 980 especially. At 22% over its default power target it slots in around 200W.

Edit: Natch, the new features are for new cards only. drat, that new supersampling is some hot poo poo too. Time to start selling some poo poo and get with the idea of putting that old fuckin' box of parts together.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
I was referring to the 980 sitting in between the 680 and 770, though the OC numbers are the same kind of head-scratcher for the +25% power target.

Gwaihir posted:

Since those numbers are for total system power consumption it's conceivable to me that the OCed 980 cranks so many frames that it also demands more CPU power to keep it properly fed.

That's possible, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

This chart means I'd be ok using a 450w PSU with a GTX 980, right?