Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Dad Jokes! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

I just got this AV and already I'm thinking I should have a Steve Lichman instead. I mean just look at that first panel; it's like a complete comic in itself, with like three punchlines in it. His expressions tell complete stories and none of them even has lips. I was also startled to learn that the expression "gently caress My Life" has a face, which is blue and lacks a nose. I can't stop gushing over Steve Lichman.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

It's basically calendar slacktivism. "We don't want to use religious stuff anymore, buuuut we don't wanna do anything inconvenient like make a new calendar.... *takes out a marker, crosses out A.D., writes C.E.* Brilliant!"

"So what did all mankind suddenly have in common in the 28th year of Augustus Caesar?"

*crickets*

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Byzantine posted:

It's basically calendar slacktivism. "We don't want to use religious stuff anymore, buuuut we don't wanna do anything inconvenient like make a new calendar.... *takes out a marker, crosses out A.D., writes C.E.* Brilliant!"

"So what did all mankind suddenly have in common in the 28th year of Augustus Caesar?"

*crickets*

Is that a problem though? Actually changing the calendar is just not a practical option because it would just mean a small group of people using a different calendar to everyone else, but really not because they'd still have to deal with everyone else still using the old one.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Tiggum posted:

Is that a problem though? Actually changing the calendar is just not a practical option because it would just mean a small group of people using a different calendar to everyone else, but really not because they'd still have to deal with everyone else still using the old one.

Yeah, the transition was pretty rough.

BlockChainNetflix
Sep 2, 2011

Byzantine posted:

*crickets*

I'm so sorry

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

canyoneer posted:

Yeah, the transition was pretty rough.

I like that "Christ, what an rear end in a top hat" works if you assume that the guy is literally mad at christ for loving up his checks.

BLT Clobbers posted:

I'm so sorry

No you're loving not. Don't lie.

BlockChainNetflix
Sep 2, 2011
Fine, I'm sorry there wasn't a Dinosaur Comics about epoch time.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Is that a problem though?

Is A.D. a problem? If it is, then C.E. is still the exact same problem because they're the same drat thing.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Byzantine posted:

Is A.D. a problem? If it is, then C.E. is still the exact same problem because they're the same drat thing.

You know C.E. can stand for "Current Era", right?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Apogee15 posted:

You know C.E. can stand for "Current Era", right?

Common Era is the most common
Christian Era also, so it remains tainted

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Change it to AAD and PAD

ante-arbitrary date and post-arbitrary date

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Let's just restart at Zero and say "AZ." As in, after zero. People could be like "so when was zero?" and we could be all like "well it was *whatever the year is* years ago. Duh!"

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Let's just restart at Zero and say "AZ." As in, after zero. People could be like "so when was zero?" and we could be all like "well it was *whatever the year is* years ago. Duh!"

"What's the significance?"

"That was the year that we commemorate changing the calendar to something less stupid."

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Byzantine posted:

*crickets*

CE and BCE was started by religious Jewish scholars who didn't want to convert between the Jewish and Christian calendars all the time, but wanted to avoid the implied acceptance of Christianity in the term "Anno Domini".

So yes, it was deliberately intended to avoid Christian references while maintaining the convenience of using the dominant calendar system. Congratulations, you cracked the code!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's the Commonly Used Dating Era and it's now used by people for whom the term 'The Year Of Our Lord' (Anno Domini) really doesn't apply because it's not their Lord. So Common Era. It's fine. Deal with it.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Let's call them ADD and Sperg.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

don't

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
oh god

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!
so lesbians like each other's periods? I learned something today.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Moon over June is an accurate representation of everyday lesbian life.

Don't let no one tell you it's not.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Nice job on tricking me into reading a Moon Over June strip without warning. I hope you're proud of yourself. :mad:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

username/post combo

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Really Pants posted:

username/post combo

Yes, please continue mentioning this person's gimmick.

e: vvvv thought you'd never ask :) It's Little Big, the guys who did Everyday I'm drinking, but this is from their With Russia From Love. Both are pro click. Russian punk dubstep kinda thing. With Russians. And dwarfslittle people.

Karate Bastard has a new favorite as of 19:07 on Sep 20, 2014

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Karate Bastard posted:

Yes, please continue mentioning this person's gimmick.

so what's your avatar from

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Rockbear posted:

I would buy hardbound books of Steve Lichman. That Dave guy is crazy talented.

Me too, that panel where The wolf gets bitch-slapped by that Minotaur had me in stitches for hours, I can't get enough of it.

monkeytennis has a new favorite as of 19:53 on Sep 20, 2014

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I had to lean in and squint to read that purple on pink curly-rear end font and I will never, never forgive you for this.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Krinkle posted:

I had to lean in and squint to read that purple on pink curly-rear end font and I will never, never forgive you for this.

If you open it in a new window it lets you expand it more than just clicking on it in the forums. Made it easy to read.

Still wasn't worth it though.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Kenning posted:

Shut the gently caress up you are all cumulatively the most boring person I can imagine.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

monkeytennis posted:

Me too, that panel where The wolf gets bitch-slapped by that Minotaur had me in stitches for hours, I can't get enough of it.

"Is that a chocolate lab?" was amazing.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

MikeJF posted:

It's the Commonly Used Dating Era

I approve of CUD

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Apogee15 posted:

If you open it in a new window it lets you expand it more than just clicking on it in the forums. Made it easy to read.

Still wasn't worth it though.
If you click anywhere in the image it expands partially, if you click on the image dimensions in the upper left it expands to the full size.

Now you learned something from a Moon Over June strip.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

MikeJF posted:

It's the Commonly Used Dating Era and it's now used by people for whom the term 'The Year Of Our Lord' (Anno Domini) really doesn't apply because it's not their Lord. So Common Era. It's fine. Deal with it.

I think we can all agree that whatever the letters stand for is fine, just so long as we're not adopting the dating system of China or some other heathen lands. Society has to have some standards.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Knormal posted:

If you click anywhere in the image it expands partially, if you click on the image dimensions in the upper left it expands to the full size.

Now you learned something from a Moon Over June strip.

My eyes been getting worse. I read an entire Ian M. Banks book on my cell phone last year. I meant after I enlarged the image by clicking on it I still had to lean in and squint. I know all the tricks and that font is still hell to read, and because it didn't have a zoom in on some farcical lesbian's o-face I didn't realize it was moon over june until it was too late.

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic
Install this:

Firefox:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/image-zoom/

Chrome:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/imagezoomer/dhnaagndnllbblbgeimdkknegobbpohk?hl=en-GB

Just do it. Trust me. It's like a SSD HD, or dual monitors. Once you have it you'll never know how you managed without.

Th_
Nov 29, 2008
And these extensions will stop Moon over June comics from rendering?

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic
Look. I'm just providing the tools, how they are used is out of my hands. Not my responsibility.

Quality comix:

Mutant Enemy
May 1, 2007
Grrr, Arrrgh!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!

• Locked thread