Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

hirvox posted:

This is true in the PS4 version too. They could actually use the touchpad for more than a big gimmick button, but.. :effort:

Nah, the touchpad on the PS4 controller loving sucks for mouse movement. War Thunder uses it as a mouse replacer and it's garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Whatev posted:

Haha, wow. Star Fox Command loving sucks. The core gameplay is just really goddamn bad.

Star Fox 64 is still a lot of fun. Sucks that Nintendo kept handing Star Fox projects to outside developers who kept loving up a simple formula.

Also sucks that Command's super ugly art lives on in Fox's Smash Bros. design.

The enemy encounters are either so easy that you'll have gobs of time left over or so insanely difficult that it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume they didn't really want you to succeed at all when they designed them. There's no middle ground.

Tip: if you draw your travel lines quickly with the stylus instead of slowly drawing the path you want, you'll get more range out of the same amount of fuel.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I don't think you can reasonably say that the interface was designed for PC just because of the cursor aspect.

It's a really good thing that I never said anything of the sort then, isn't it?

It just stands out as a poor design choice (particularly on those screens I mentioned before with literally only a single option) in what's otherwise an extremely polished game.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Whatev posted:

Haha, wow. Star Fox Command loving sucks. The core gameplay is just really goddamn bad.

Star Fox 64 is still a lot of fun. Sucks that Nintendo kept handing Star Fox projects to outside developers who kept loving up a simple formula.

Also sucks that Command's super ugly art lives on in Fox's Smash Bros. design.

All I remember from that game is shooting the same missle down over and over. It was not a fun gameplay mechanic.

Ein
Feb 27, 2002

Heavy Lobster posted:

The story of the CoC game is actually really fascinating and complicated, and its PC port even more so. Have a huge image explaining it all, it's really worth the read.

That puts a lot of blame on Bethesda/Xbox. Headfirst made big promises(raytracing!) and farted around with the game for 3-4 years before anything mentioned in that story happened. Before they released CoC they also announced/worked on things like Deadlands, the other two Call of Cthulu games, and developed/released that terrible Simon the Sorcerer 3D game.

They just weren't a good developer and the games they released is proof of that.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Ein posted:

That puts a lot of blame on Bethesda/Xbox. Headfirst made big promises(raytracing!) and farted around with the game for 3-4 years before anything mentioned in that story happened. Before they released CoC they also announced/worked on things like Deadlands, the other two Call of Cthulu games, and developed/released that terrible Simon the Sorcerer 3D game.

They just weren't a good developer and the games they released is proof of that.

DoubleFine just took the money and ran again, this time abandoning their Early Access title Spacebase DF-9 without delivering on the features they promised, so hopefully gamers are going to wise up now that they're the ones getting cheated instead of publishers.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

...of SCIENCE! posted:

DoubleFine just took the money and ran again, this time abandoning their Early Access title Spacebase DF-9 without delivering on the features they promised, so hopefully gamers are going to wise up now that they're the ones getting cheated instead of publishers.

There's actually a post on the forums about how they weren't gonna abandon Spacebase and people need to stop being so paranoid, then 20 days later its done.

Chances are Broken age won't be supported either as part 1 sold very poorly, Massive Chalice is in a pre-alpha state and hasn't had any work done on it for awhile now. They did funding from Indie Cade for 2 other titles, should be interesting to see how that turns out, regardless I hope people stop supporting double fine because they keep loving up.

It also means in retrospect that the CEO of Activision was right in his comments about Schafer. :v:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

They are listed as having five projects going at once (Broken Age, Hack'N'Slash, Massive Chalice, Costume Quest 2, Spacebase DF-9) in 2014. Who does that? Who could act all lassez-faire and make all these niche products at the same time if they're not filthy-rich like Valve?

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

Inspector Gesicht posted:

They are listed as having five projects going at once (Broken Age, Hack'N'Slash, Massive Chalice, Costume Quest 2, Spacebase DF-9) in 2014. Who does that? Who could act all lassez-faire and make all these niche products at the same time if they're not filthy-rich like Valve?
Has there been a Kickstarter funded game successfully released yet that wasn't either forgettable pap or a loving disaster?

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Whatev posted:

Has there been a Kickstarter funded game successfully released yet that wasn't either forgettable pap or a loving disaster?

Wasteland 2 and Divinity Original Sin are good and amazing.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Whatev posted:

Shovel Knight was one of my favorite games this year.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading
Right on. I was asking out of genuine curiosity.

I do wonder what the rate is for Kickstarter games being released and good versus being funded and canceled or lovely. Developers can be pretty stupid and way overestimate what can realistically be done. I learned that when I was some bitch rear end middle schooler and closely followed the dev cycle of Halo 2, which ultimately cut a crazy amount of planned content and had a much worse graphics engine than earlier builds showed off.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The developer I work for is making seven games at once. Your move, Schaefer. :smug:

(Yes, it's terrible)

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Kickstarter has really had the same ratio of good-to-poo poo games as the regular industry, its just more noticeable because straight-up shovelware produced traditionally tends to disappear while Kickstarters get to be a big public failure.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

1stGear posted:

Kickstarter has really had the same ratio of good-to-poo poo games as the regular industry, its just more noticeable because straight-up shovelware produced traditionally tends to disappear while Kickstarters get to be a big public failure.

Kickstarter games seem to be reversed to the usual, in a way. Usually big games are acclaimed while cancelled projects/shovelware fall into obscurity, but with Kickstarter the decent-sized failures are really noticeable, if only briefly, while the successes just slide quietly into home without much fanfare.

As to good Kickstarter games, I'll add FTL to the pile if nobody else will.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Broken Age is fairly damning though as the whole press surrounding it was how they didn't need publishers and such, instead all DF has done is prove Kotick and Majesco right in firing the guy.

Thankfully other companies picked up the slack and delivered quality products on time and on budget, Divinity, Shovel Knight, FTL, the Rex Murphy game and I'm sure I'm missing a fair bunch.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Whatev posted:

FTL is an awesome game that I have probably put 80 hours into.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Divinity: Original Sin and Shadowrun Returns were pretty well regarded.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I really liked what I played of Expeditions: Conquistador. Haven't gotten terribly far in it but the ten or so hours I've played were a very quality game. I had no idea it even was a Kickstarter project until a while after I had bought it on Steam, though, so I guess it's probably not too high-profile.

A Classy Ghost
Jul 21, 2003

this wine has a fantastic booquet
The Banner Saga has also done very well for itself.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I really liked what I played of Expeditions: Conquistador. Haven't gotten terribly far in it but the ten or so hours I've played were a very quality game. I had no idea it even was a Kickstarter project until a while after I had bought it on Steam, though, so I guess it's probably not too high-profile.

Yeah, this is more or less the thing with successful Kickstarter games; if you turn up after the fact, you won't even notice that a game was funded by Kickstarter. But if it fails, you'll sure as gently caress find out.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm pretty sure both Hoopz Barkley SaGa games were Kickstarted.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I'm playing Dwarf Fortress at the moment and it's a complicated enough game without all the bugs - there's a feature to check if your trade depot is accessible to caravans, and this whole time it's been telling me that not only was my depot inaccessible but the entire REGION was.

Imagine my surprise when a loving caravan shows up at my trade depot with no issues whatsoever.

Less Fat Luke posted:

Shadowrun Returns was a really pleasant surprise for me - I didn't fund it but picked it up later on sale and had a blast.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ryoshi posted:

I'm playing Dwarf Fortress at the moment and it's a complicated enough game without all the bugs - there's a feature to check if your trade depot is accessible to caravans, and this whole time it's been telling me that not only was my depot inaccessible but the entire REGION was.

That's for wagons, which require a three-tile-wide path to the map's edge. They can still come in on donkeys, but can carry way less stuff.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Expeditions: Conquistador was a kickstarted game? :stare:

I missed that too somehow. Great game. As for successful projects I'd point to Knock-Knock. It's the only reason the remake of Pathologic currently being kickstarted is even a thing.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Less Fat Luke posted:

Shadowrun was a little more mixed I thought. But then they went and released Dragonfall which was fantastic.

Lord Lambeth has a new favorite as of 19:11 on Sep 20, 2014

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm pretty sure both Hoopz Barkley SaGa games were Kickstarted.

The first one came out before kickstarter existed and the second, while kickstarted, is still forthcoming.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Destiny has got to have the worst loot system in any game I have ever seen, it makes Diablo 3's early days pale in comparison.

The top loot mostly boils down to grabbing something called engrams, either blue or legendary purple, sometimes you'll see a green engram but that usually just gives you a straight up item, so one would think a blue or purple engram would ID into something of those respective colors and or rarity, but it doesn't.

For reasons I cannot comprehend a blue engram can ID into either a green, a blue or a legendary or a class item(random class to boot), purple engrams can ID into all of the above, as well as an exotic item, so in other words a legendary dips into 6 possible item pools, how does that makes any loving sense given how rare these things are.

But its not all bad, I did finally get a legendary chest piece, for a completely different class that I'm currently using. :iamafag:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Diablo 3 1.0's loot system still takes the cake for the most ball-bustingly miserable, though, because the game itself was also almost completely unplayable.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The one problem with Diablo 3's new loot system is that if you're a sad person who plays by himself like me, you won't get gear for the AI followers with different primary stats than you.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Dr Christmas posted:

The one problem with Diablo 3's new loot system is that if you're a sad person who plays by himself like me, you won't get gear for the AI followers with different primary stats than you.

That problem is alleviated when you realize that your follower's damage output is absolutely irrelevant regardless of if the stats line up.

My Templar rolls with Intelligence gear all the way down but he's tossing out pulls and debuffs left right and center. His attacks don't actually move the enemy's health meters at all, but that's not what I drag him along for.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Follower stats are capped so you could deck out your dudes in insanely strong stuff and it won't matter.

Giving the templar int stuff isn't actually that bad as it gives him some all-res, seeing as his primary role is tanking it works out quite well.

Ghaz
Nov 19, 2004

kazil posted:

A recent Terraria patch added fishing to the game.

No video game ever has benefited from having fishing in it. Fishing is a boring as gently caress chore and has no place in video games.

I felt it was pretty raw that I would have to grind fishing to fight the new boss... yawnnnn

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Aside from never being able to get the hang of looking at the map and knowing if I need to turn left or right to zoom over to a new Field, I don't like how much grinding is involved in Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3.

You've got like 54 characters in it and if you want to use a skill with them you have to purchase it as them instead of buying it once and being done with it. And you've got to play most of the characters too if you want to be able to use all of the Mobile Suits as well.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The flight controls in Lego: Marvel loving suck

IronMan flies in three speeds: No forward momentum, too-slow-to-finish-timed-races, and impossible-to-control.

So naturally there are little flight courses scattered all over the city that he needs to finish.

Is there any other character that flies better than him? It's such a pain in the rear end.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Unfortunately no. All of the flying characters control that way.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Thankfully most of the races in general are just for gold bricks, and the only thing they get you after a certain point is credit towards 100% completion.

From what I could tell as I struggled through the few you do need to do to unlock actual stuff, there is a kind of sense to the flight controls, but when combined with the unresponsive camera it turns into a complete clusterfuck. One or the other could've made it salvageable, maybe, but gently caress both at once.

I played through it on M+KB. I assume a controller doesn't really fix the problem. Though it might've made the goddamn go-kart race not take 30 tries...

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

Thankfully most of the races in general are just for gold bricks, and the only thing they get you after a certain point is credit towards 100% completion.

From what I could tell as I struggled through the few you do need to do to unlock actual stuff, there is a kind of sense to the flight controls, but when combined with the unresponsive camera it turns into a complete clusterfuck. One or the other could've made it salvageable, maybe, but gently caress both at once.

I played through it on M+KB. I assume a controller doesn't really fix the problem. Though it might've made the goddamn go-kart race not take 30 tries...

Nope, go karts handle like poo poo. I've got a standard 360 controller plugged in and I can't beat any races. They wouldn't e so bad if the races themselves weren't so long. Why does the flight one next to the helicarrier take so loving long to finish? I made it through what I thought was 90% of it before realizing that there was double that length to go. I still didn't reach the end. I don't even know if it was the end.

Go karts still handle like poo poo, too. But at least that is relatively nicer.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Alteisen posted:

Destiny has got to have the worst loot system in any game I have ever seen, it makes Diablo 3's early days pale in comparison.

The top loot mostly boils down to grabbing something called engrams, either blue or legendary purple, sometimes you'll see a green engram but that usually just gives you a straight up item, so one would think a blue or purple engram would ID into something of those respective colors and or rarity, but it doesn't.

For reasons I cannot comprehend a blue engram can ID into either a green, a blue or a legendary or a class item(random class to boot), purple engrams can ID into all of the above, as well as an exotic item, so in other words a legendary dips into 6 possible item pools, how does that makes any loving sense given how rare these things are.

But its not all bad, I did finally get a legendary chest piece, for a completely different class that I'm currently using. :iamafag:

Actually it's even worse for purple/Legendary engrams as they can also turn into high level crafting material. I got my first purple yesterday and it turned into 2 Motes of Light. They really need to cut the drop down a rarity level stuff because it's just frustrating. Especially when you're first getting those drops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Scribblenauts Unlimited is mostly pretty fun (even if it doesn't quite live up to the potential of the concept) and there isn't really much in the way of challenge, it's just fun coming up with novel solutions and seeing if they work. But the prison escape... There are a bunch of things that just kill you in one hit and every time it happens you have to start from the beginning again. And the suggested solutions don't even really make use of the core game mechanics, they're just stuff like "move fast" and "get the timing right to avoid the spikes". It's like it came from a different game.

I'd also like it better I think if the scenarios were more mundane and realistic and it left it to the player to introduce the wackiness. When the game presents you with a scenario where a vampire, a Viking, a computer hacker and a chef are all just hanging out in the same area it doesn't feel like there's much you can do to introduce humourous incongruity to the situation.