Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

It was such a loving piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Random Asshole
Apr 30, 2006

HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS

VikingSkull posted:

Research the "Doomsday Hemi" for further on the engine wars. You can start with the Pontiac Mystery motor and work forward if you want to know the full engine story.

Yeah that whole story is p. lol. Ford was bringing its ridiculous OHC motor to nascar and dodge was like "oh loving really now" and presented that motor which made nascar poo poo its pants and ban both. Legend has it that the motor dodge presented was so hastily slapped together that the presentation model was an empty block with no internals

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Fag Boy Jim posted:

It was such a loving piece of poo poo.
That's almost a direct quote of Kyle Busch after winning the first COT race. People were upset that he was whining again, but I interpreted it as "that car sucked to drive and it won. Imagine what all of the other ones are like."

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Some Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Yeah that whole story is p. lol. Ford was bringing its ridiculous OHC motor to nascar and dodge was like "oh loving really now" and presented that motor which made nascar poo poo its pants and ban both. Legend has it that the motor dodge presented was so hastily slapped together that the presentation model was an empty block with no internals

The best part is that is exactly what Dodge wanted. They had no intention of actually building a DOHC Hemi, but they absolutely didn't want the Cammer running. So they whipped that up to bring to NASCAR to say "hey, this is down the pipeline, think long and hard about your next course of action".

So NASCAR did, and banned the OHV 426, too because Chrysler wasn't actually putting them into street cars like they were supposed to.

Then Chrysler pulled out of NASCAR for '65 and Richard Petty killed a kid.

All because of the Doomsday Hemi.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

This weekend's race is the Osram Sylvania 300.

The last commercial before qualifying was about a class action lawsuit against Osram Sylvania for false advertising of their hot daughter headlights. :lol:

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

Bhester posted:

When cars were yawed out like that during the COT era, the worst offender always seemed to be Sam Hornish's 77.

Well most of the time it was because he had hit the wall at some point so you can't really fault him for that.

LASTCAR posted:

The last commercial before qualifying was about a class action lawsuit against Osram Sylvania for false advertising of their hot daughter headlights. :lol:
I'll click pretty much any link titled hot daughter headlights but this was just a bunch of boring legal mumbo jumbo.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
here, you sick gently caress

Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

If I worked there I'd have freaked out long ago and smeared toner all over my naked body, flopping around to spell out "I TOLD YOU SO!" on the carpet until campus security could drag me away.
:xbone:

LASTCAR posted:

I don't see the grounds for a suit, they are clearly demonstrated as the safest way to travel to and from a mountainside gangbang at dusk.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

This was pretty much the highlight of the CoT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5MrquaBBXQ

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Fauxhawk Express posted:

The best part of this is Larry selling the COT as the reason he lived and not the reason he went through that poo poo in the first place.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Australian Modifieds showing now in the Cytube channel. Link in the OP or in the Winter Heat thread.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

Fauxhawk Express posted:

I thought you were gonna post this. :colbert:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Hey maffew, your boy Suarez is braving the waters of ARCA right now on FOX Sports 1.

We're in #nascar.

Team SRA blew up. Then another car (the Save the US Constitution car) blew up and stalled at the end of pit road. No caution. ARCA IS HAPPENING!

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 20, 2014

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
that ARCA race was good

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Agreed. Good stuff. Rhodes hauled the mail until he knocked the wall down. Back to Cytube?

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010
Speaking of the COT I really enjoyed the Hornish crabcar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jExaCaK5jdU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

CBJSprague24 posted:

Hey maffew, your boy Suarez is braving the waters of ARCA right now on FOX Sports 1.

We're in #nascar.

Team SRA blew up. Then another car (the Save the US Constitution car) blew up and stalled at the end of pit road. No caution. ARCA IS HAPPENING!

I missed this entirely. Why would you caution a blown up car at the end of pit road, you need at least four cars piled up before you need a caution. Waving that flag isn't cheap. Also lol that it was the Save the US Constitution car. Every ARCA race someone doesn't die is a miracle from God.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

maffew buildings posted:

I missed this entirely. Why would you caution a blown up car at the end of pit road, you need at least four cars piled up before you need a caution. Waving that flag isn't cheap. Also lol that it was the Save the US Constitution car. Every ARCA race someone doesn't die is a miracle from God.
Have you seen the ARCA at Pocono crash yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5VC1KoDpyM

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
these are a great introduction to ARCA

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
The guy driving the Save the US Constitution car just got out of jail and is in general not a very good person.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Really dissapointed this LOL ARCA moment isn't in that video: big crash

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Quantrill posted:

Really dissapointed this LOL ARCA moment isn't in that video: big crash

That was quite a crash. What is difference between ARCA and Nationwide?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Waltzing Along posted:

That was quite a crash. What is difference between ARCA and Nationwide?

In ARCA drivers try to accelerate past crashes for reasons unknown to many.

Even with frozen fields they do it. Sometimes dipshit backmarkers in Nationwide will do it to, which is even more hilarious because they rip through a pack of cars already slowed up to catch up with the wreck and hit it.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Not being a big fan of motorsports aside from watching Talledega races, am I to assume that ARCA would be my thing

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Cup drivers are smart enough to not race there or they will die.

But specifically nationwide has different cars, slightly smarter drivers, races bigger tracks like cup while arca drives a blend of big tracks and short tracks, Goodyear compared to Hoosier tires.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Also, ARCA is a sanctioning body like NASCAR. ARCA Racing Series is ARCA's top series while Nationwide is NASCAR's "minor league."

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
also their Earnhardt is a dirt track modified guy from the Northeast who's only ever won a handful of races at Daytona and sucks everywhere else

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

And their greatest driver is a veteran who never really advanced beyond ARCA's top series. He made a handful of starts in NASCAR's top three divisions but did nothing.

ayn rand hand job posted:

Not being a big fan of motorsports aside from watching Talledega races, am I to assume that ARCA would be my thing

ARCA is where stupid things in stock car racing happen, as can be attested to by our own resident ARCA personality, so yes.

The replay of the crash Quantrill posted (at the end of the video) wasn't shown until a later race because SPEED wasn't sure of the body count (if there was one; fortunately, everybody walked away) just after it happened. Why the hell everyone piled into that wreck is beyond me. The voice narrating the replay was a driver (Billy Venturini) whose career ended in the crash.

Last night's race was legitimately good, though.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...

VikingSkull posted:

also their Earnhardt is a dirt track modified guy from the Northeast who's only ever won a handful of races at Daytona and sucks everywhere else

He also gets busted for cheating at Daytona or Talladega every year or two and always threatens to leave and never come back. Unfortunately he keeps coming back.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

My favorite part of any ARCA crash is after the initial wreck there's a huge cloud of smoke and in the additional vehicles coming out of it wrecked there's always one that's flipping and on fire

Why anybody sees cars wreck, a shitload of smoke and decides "Well if I just go to the top and accelerate I'll make it past it!" is beyond me. What would it take for ARCA to red flag a wreck, that Daytona 2005 clip looked pretty bad with the entire track blocked with wrecks.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...

maffew buildings posted:

Why anybody sees cars wreck, a shitload of smoke and decides "Well if I just go to the top and accelerate I'll make it past it!" is beyond me.

It worked in a movie one time.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

maffew buildings posted:

Why anybody sees cars wreck, a shitload of smoke and decides "Well if I just go to the top and accelerate I'll make it past it!" is beyond me.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

maffew buildings posted:

My favorite part of any ARCA crash is after the initial wreck there's a huge cloud of smoke and in the additional vehicles coming out of it wrecked there's always one that's flipping and on fire

Why anybody sees cars wreck, a shitload of smoke and decides "Well if I just go to the top and accelerate I'll make it past it!" is beyond me. What would it take for ARCA to red flag a wreck, that Daytona 2005 clip looked pretty bad with the entire track blocked with wrecks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e77ybggTHHg

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I don't know what this intro music is to the Truck race but it sucks.

The anthem singer's name is Krystn. Were they paying by the letter or trying to make her name so it'd fit on a license plate?

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Bhester posted:

The guy driving the Save the US Constitution car just got out of jail and is in general not a very good person.

He also partnered with Eminem to bring a Ron Paul sponsored car to Daytona a couple years ago and wanted to be the guy who got Jeremy Mayfield in a car again. I'd rate his exploits to be at least 4.5 ARCAs.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

The entire ARCA caution modus operandi based on that film clip

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 16 hours!)

ARCA is literally a short track series that sometimes runs Daytona and Talladega.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think ARCA once had a race at the old Atlanta that ended with like four gigantic accidents and someone's arm getting ripped off.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

That was '96 and was played on the video channel a few weeks back.

And Jimmy Horton had a nasty wreck at the ARCA race there the year before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

When did Michael McDowell start driving for Penske in NNS?

• Locked thread