Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Tonight STING MONTH is continuing with the STING on QVC special! See Sting without the face paint selling products to us, the WCW fans! Can Sting top the unexpected greatness of the Buff special? Find out at 8 PM!

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Might not be home in time for Sting. Will there be Lifetime afterward like with Buff?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Might not be home in time for Sting. Will there be Lifetime afterward like with Buff?

Either Lifetime or Thunder in Paradise.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

MassRafTer posted:

Either Lifetime or Thunder in Paradise.

But but it's Gary Strydom's birthday.....

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

Tonight STING MONTH is continuing with the STING on QVC special! See Sting without the face paint selling products to us, the WCW fans! Can Sting top the unexpected greatness of the Buff special? Find out at 8 PM!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Hogan just spent like 30 seconds yelling GIVE ME THE BELT to Sting on Thunder in Paradise

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

We also had what appeared to be a prototype Hulk Hogan raft.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I can't believe I've never watched Thunder in Paradise before STING MONTH. As many have noted it is a Knight Boat meets Baywatch but more ridiculous than Baywatch or a quick Simpsons gag could ever be. The special effects are out of this world, Thunder is the coolest vehicle in TV history, Hogan's backstory is tremendous and you'd never guess it was filmed at Disney World.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

MassRafTer posted:

I can't believe I've never watched Thunder in Paradise before STING MONTH. As many have noted it is a Knight Boat meets Baywatch but more ridiculous than Baywatch or a quick Simpsons gag could ever be. The special effects are out of this world, Thunder is the coolest vehicle in TV history, Hogan's backstory is tremendous and you'd never guess it was filmed at Disney World.

Co-starring the son of Jack Lemmon! Whoever he is!

Discount Trombones
Jan 22, 2014
Thunder in Paradise is great. You should really keep an eye out for the number of different roles Ed Leslie appears in. It's at least four, including an evil pirate.

Red posted:

Co-starring the son of Jack Lemmon! Whoever he is!
Come on, they just said he's Jack Lemmon's son.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Discount Trombones posted:

Thunder in Paradise is great. You should really keep an eye out for the number of different roles Ed Leslie appears in. It's at least four, including an evil pirate.

Come on, they just said he's Jack Lemmon's son.

But just imagine if Hogan's partner was actually played by Jack Lemmon.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Red posted:

But just imagine if Hogan's partner was actually played by Jack Lemmon.

Imagine if that shows was on today. "Don't be Jack Lemmon's son, be a Rose, Bud."

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I really need to pop in and watch that. I genuinely had no idea it was a full series, not just a really bad TV movie.

That means I'm slipping.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

LvK posted:

I really need to pop in and watch that. I genuinely had no idea it was a full series, not just a really bad TV movie.

That means I'm slipping.

I think in the UK it was shown as movies. They would package episodes together and sell them as movies. It's gloriously terrible though. However, how different would things have been for Hogan and WCW if Thunder In Paradise was a success?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Imagine if that shows was on today. "Don't be Jack Lemmon's son, be a Rose, Bud."

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Thunder in Paradise's awfulness is a thing of legend. Having a family call over a satellite phone during a pitched firefight(where no one can hit the broad side of barn), yeah it has that. Its something else.

Discount Trombones
Jan 22, 2014
My favourite thing tangentially related to Thunder In Paradise has to be that interview Hogan did where he was hyping the show to polite apathy. Then, he talks about how an upcoming episode will have STING! The interviewer comes to life for a brief moment, but then Hogan makes it clear he's not talking about musician Sting... aaaand it's back to being disinterested.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Wrong thread

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Discount Trombones posted:

My favourite thing tangentially related to Thunder In Paradise has to be that interview Hogan did where he was hyping the show to polite apathy. Then, he talks about how an upcoming episode will have STING! The interviewer comes to life for a brief moment, but then Hogan makes it clear he's not talking about musician Sting... aaaand it's back to being disinterested.

You know he has to pay royalties to the real Stinger, brother :smug:

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

DrVenkman posted:

I think in the UK it was shown as movies. They would package episodes together and sell them as movies.
Not just in the UK. Worked at a video store from '99-'00, and among the recurring jokes among staff was that we actually had Thunder in Paradise II and III (not I), but they would lay there untouched for weeks, gathering legit dust.

Also, random, Jack Lemmon was actually fairly hot at the time of Thunder in Paradise due to the Grumpy Old Men films (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePRYhNNdzwk). They clearly wanted to cast someone with name value as Hogan's sidekick, and ended up with someone lower in show biz than Frank Stallone or Don Swayze.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
For a moment there I thought you meant Jack Lemon was that low, then I went back a couple of posts and realized it was his son, what a relief. Nobody can ever diss Jack Lemon.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Nitro 102 on the Network is amazing. It's the episode after Superbrawl 6 and has probably one of the best Flair promos where he comes out on a hospital bed covered in a sheet, brought out by Woman and Miss Elizabeth who implies that the 3 of them boned down all night. Then Flair leaps up and cuts an amazing promo.

It's also the one where they realise they shouldn't let Elizabeth speak. She literally forgets her promo and just stands there and smiles as she tries to think of the next line.

Also features the wrestling debut of LOCH NESS, who UK'ers will know better as Giant Haystacks.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DrVenkman posted:

Nitro 102 on the Network is amazing. It's the episode after Superbrawl 6 and has probably one of the best Flair promos where he comes out on a hospital bed covered in a sheet, brought out by Woman and Miss Elizabeth who implies that the 3 of them boned down all night. Then Flair leaps up and cuts an amazing promo.

It's also the one where they realise they shouldn't let Elizabeth speak. She literally forgets her promo and just stands there and smiles as she tries to think of the next line.

Also features the wrestling debut of LOCH NESS, who UK'ers will know better as Giant Haystacks.

Keep in mind Loch Ness was one of Hogan's original handpicked opponents for Uncensored. He only gets better from there!

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Rad R. posted:

For a moment there I thought you meant Jack Lemon was that low, then I went back a couple of posts and realized it was his son, what a relief. Nobody can ever diss Jack Lemon.
Yeah, sorry, that post was horribly-written. I blame the sudden wave of millennial nostalgia.

Flair during the period when he had both Woman and Elizabeth as valets was fantastic. During Savage matches he would come out to ringside and have gourmet dinner at a banquet table. I'm having a hell of a time finding pics or video though.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Can we just replace the OP with this image

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012

Dario the Wop posted:

Yeah, sorry, that post was horribly-written. I blame the sudden wave of millennial nostalgia.

Flair during the period when he had both Woman and Elizabeth as valets was fantastic. During Savage matches he would come out to ringside and have gourmet dinner at a banquet table. I'm having a hell of a time finding pics or video though.

Like a boss. Things like that make me angry about today's product, because today's WWE doesn't know that the most basic premise of any feud is one guy getting into the other guy's head, while they're both pissed off - there doesn't have to be a championship title involved at all.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Jeff Farmer is on the back of the new Sting DVD

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Did they seriously use an nwo japan Sting picture?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's a WCW DVD. Clearly they had to make it as WCW as possible.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Endless Mike posted:

It's a WCW DVD. Clearly they had to make it as WCW as possible.

Hogan gets the royalty check.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

DrVenkman posted:

Elizabeth was making something like $120k not to wrestle or talk. WCW was amazing.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

Jeff Farmer is on the back of the new Sting DVD

It'd be a big mistake if Van Hammer was on the back, but nWo Sting? That's kind of neat. I wouldn't be furious if my Razor Ramon blu-ray had Rick Bogner on the back doing the schtick.

I'm assuming they went through a ton of professional photos as opposed to screenshots for the packaging, and that was something they found. That it's in black and white suggests they didn't have more viable alternatives.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Tony and the rest of the WCW announcers are vindicated for always falling for fake Stings.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Halloween Jack posted:

Elizabeth was making something like $120k not to wrestle or talk. WCW was amazing.

Lanny Poffo got a contract comparable to Jericho's in terms of money and wasn't on TV once.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
It's entirely possible they did it as a rib.

Also maybe they just wanted to send Jeff Farmer a royalty check?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

"The Franchise" Jeff Farmer.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Tonight it is the GO HOME SHOW for STARRCADE 1997! The biggest match in the history of wrestling is a week away! Join us tonight for this legendary episode of WCW Monday Nitro!

it's nWo Nitro.

7:30 for Cowboy Who? 8 PM for Nitro!!!!!

There may be post Nitro content too. Not sure what it will be though.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
I have an entire playlist of U2 set up for just such an occasion.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

If the DVD contains a segment on fake Stings or the nWo storyline having that image on the back makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Lanny Poffo got a contract comparable to Jericho's in terms of money and wasn't on TV once.
One of my favorite 'WCW things'. Employed for nearly two years and didn't do a drat thing in that time. He clearly is a genius.

On the subject of WCW stupidity, wasn't there a released wrestler who got paid for around six months afterwards because nobody bothered to tell the front office that he had been fired?