Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

lelandjs posted:

I'm sure there's an obvious answer but why not use the Gmail app?
Maybe he doesn't like the Gmail app and/or just wants to use built in Mail. Or doesn't know about the Gmail app :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
FYI other apps get push notifications for gmail no problem. I use Boxer and I get them no problem.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Wait, what is this about gmail and push? It had stopped working on my iPhone 5 about a month ago. I don't think its working on my 6 now.

Edit: oh that's right, Gmail exchange isn't working on my 6, period.

Revol fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Sep 21, 2014

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

the kawaiiest posted:

FYI other apps get push notifications for gmail no problem. I use Boxer and I get them no problem.

Gmail used Activesync, and they decided they weren't going to support that anymore.

Why Gmail push works with other apps but not mail.app, I don't understand, I assume its something that Apple and Google can't agree on.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

lelandjs posted:

I'm sure there's an obvious answer but why not use the Gmail app?

japtor posted:

Maybe he doesn't like the Gmail app and/or just wants to use built in Mail. Or doesn't know about the Gmail app :v:

I like using built in mail.app, I like the unified inbox and haven't found another iOS client that I like/has all the features I want.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

xilni posted:

I like using built in mail.app, I like the unified inbox and haven't found another iOS client that I like/has all the features I want.

Hop is pretty good.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Gmail app rules. I was using Mail.app with my Gmail address for the longest time, then I discovered the Gmail app a while back and never looked back.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
The Gmail app is great until it randomly stops pushing emails to you for some reason. I've found that you can "fix" it by going into settings and toggling the new emails notification off and on, but it will spontaneously break itself again in an indeterminate amount of time.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

POCKET CHOMP posted:

The Gmail app is great until it randomly stops pushing emails to you for some reason. I've found that you can "fix" it by going into settings and toggling the new emails notification off and on, but it will spontaneously break itself again in an indeterminate amount of time.
That's only happened to me a couple times, but I believe they were all when I was running a beta version of iOS.

jjef
Jul 25, 2008
Are any of you iphone6 owners using a screen protector? Both of the screen protectors (from different companies) I've tried on my 6 leave a sliver of exposed display on each side. It's like the screen protectors are too narrow by 1 or 2 mm. Reading reviews on Amazon shows many people experiencing this same problem with many different screen protectors.

Anyways it's pissing me off and feel like I wasted money on these stupid things.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

jjef posted:

Are any of you iphone6 owners using a screen protector? Both of the screen protectors (from different companies) I've tried on my 6 leave a sliver of exposed display on each side. It's like the screen protectors are too narrow by 1 or 2 mm. Reading reviews on Amazon shows many people experiencing this same problem with many different screen protectors.

Anyways it's pissing me off and feel like I wasted money on these stupid things.

After deciding that I hate myself I decided to look at the MacRumors forums to see if other people were having this problem. Seems like no one has found a good fitting screen protector yet. One guy had a Ghost Armor installed at a mall but he's not linked it back to the correct product yet.

It looks like we'll have to chance it a couple weeks before we can find a decent one.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Funny how Apple Androidized the Iphone and I'm actually considering one for the first time since 2007.

I'm guessing Google Now/Gmail/Maps/Contacts etc. integration still isn't good on the Iphone (you guys still don't have anything like "intents" on Android, right?)

I guess that would prevent me from switching still, unless Apple has done a real good job replacing those Google services.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Mister Fister posted:

Funny how Apple Androidized the Iphone and I'm actually considering one for the first time since 2007.

I'm guessing Google Now/Gmail/Maps/Contacts etc. integration still isn't good on the Iphone (you guys still don't have anything like "intents" on Android, right?)

I guess that would prevent me from switching still, unless Apple has done a real good job replacing those Google services.

There's a Google Now app and Gmail app on the store that are quite nice. Google contact and calendar sync is built into iOS, using CalDAV.

There is at least some "share intent" functionality now in iOS 8 that will be a big thing once apps get updated for iOS 8.

jjef
Jul 25, 2008

suddenlyissoon posted:

After deciding that I hate myself I decided to look at the MacRumors forums to see if other people were having this problem. Seems like no one has found a good fitting screen protector yet. One guy had a Ghost Armor installed at a mall but he's not linked it back to the correct product yet.

It looks like we'll have to chance it a couple weeks before we can find a decent one.

Does Applecare cover scratched screens? I've heard conflicting things about it. If so, I may just forget about using a screen protector.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

suddenlyissoon posted:

After noting the curvature of the screen it got me wondering if all protectors would stop shy of the edge like that due to not being able to gracefully handle the curving.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

kitten smoothie posted:

There's a Google Now app and Gmail app on the store that are quite nice. Google contact and calendar sync is built into iOS, using CalDAV.

There is at least some "share intent" functionality now in iOS 8 that will be a big thing once apps get updated for iOS 8.

Cool, so with iOS 8, I would be able to use Google Now as the default voice app instead of siri and have it do things like turn on timers, put events into my calendar, etc.?

Edit: ah damnit, looks like Apple's being stubborn on this:

quote:

Not all parts of iOS can be changed (or "extended") by third parties. If you wanted to replace one of the default apps with your own or add some kind of toggle to the Control Center, you can't do that. Apple defines a handful of pre-set "extension points" to show developers where they can add stuff. The iOS 8 extension points are as follows:

Mister Fister fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 21, 2014

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
Tech Armor said all their protectors will stop just short of the curve. I would imagine the wet apply protectors will work pretty well.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Mister Fister posted:

Cool, so with iOS 8, I would be able to use Google Now as the default voice app instead of siri and have it do things like turn on timers, put events into my calendar, etc.?

NON STOP VERBAL DIARRHEA, EMERGING FROM MY KEYBOARD, FOREVER

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

NON STOP VERBAL DIARRHEA, EMERGING FROM MY KEYBOARD, FOREVER

God forbid i use the superior personal assistant :smugdroid:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Cortana?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Does the new iPhone support NFC for things other then Apple Pay? I've been using a nexus, and am hopelessly addicted to tasker+nfc tags. Any chance the new iPhone will have similar capabilities (even if it's third party)?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

blugu64 posted:

Does the new iPhone support NFC for things other then Apple Pay? I've been using a nexus, and am hopelessly addicted to tasker+nfc tags. Any chance the new iPhone will have similar capabilities (even if it's third party)?

No. Not presently and nothing you can assume likely for at least a year.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mister Fister posted:

Heh. Apple may have opened up iOS a bit, but I don't think they'll ever let people replace Siri or Safari as defaults.

I haven't missed Google Now too much (I've been able to more or less replicate the cards functionality with widgets) and to be honest the only thing I used the voice for was asking how famous people died while I was drunk.

To be honest, I'm pretty sure that Siri does everything you mentioned anyway. The only other thing I can think of is that you can't search third party music apps with her, but again, I never really used that with Google Now anyway.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

blugu64 posted:

Maybe next year they'll open up the NFC stuff, but I seriously doubt there will ever be anything like Tasker for iOS.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

kitten smoothie posted:

To add, I actually prefer Apple Maps to Google Maps after they unfucked it in iOS 7. I wonder how long Scott Forstall's unbelievable incompentence from iOS 6 will haunt Apple.

At least another product cycle.

Mister Fister posted:

Siri does those things. :confused:

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Mister Fister posted:

Edit: ah damnit, looks like Apple's being stubborn on this:

There is the Google app which has Now functionality and notifies you about stuff like traffic and all that. And I imagine that it will be updated with a widget that gives you info in the Notification Center.

Siri does all that other stuff you mentioned.

heldicus
Oct 27, 2004

:stare:............:byodood:

nickutz posted:

Is there any reason why my contacts don't have their Facebook profile picture after using the Update All Contacts option in the settings app? Googling around makes it look like its just me.

Also a problem for me and it's pissing me off.

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost
I remember in years past, there were tons of people on eBay selling grey-market iPhone unlocks (at least for AT&T-locked phones, they basically had friends that had access to AT&T/Apple's database and would just add your IMEI to the unlock list). I was able to unlock my 5S for about $10, but it looks like either eBay or AT&T (or both) came down and crushed those folks. Does this option still exist for the 6/6+?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

CoasterMaster posted:

I remember in years past, there were tons of people on eBay selling grey-market iPhone unlocks (at least for AT&T-locked phones, they basically had friends that had access to AT&T/Apple's database and would just add your IMEI to the unlock list). I was able to unlock my 5S for about $10, but it looks like either eBay or AT&T (or both) came down and crushed those folks. Does this option still exist for the 6/6+?

I have seen at least two offering iPhone 6/6+ unlocking service but I'm not sure I'd throw my money at them to find out if possible just yet. One offers the service for around $150.

There are many which can do older models reliably but I'm not sure about the new models just yet.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Josh Lyman posted:

To add, I actually prefer Apple Maps to Google Maps after they unfucked it in iOS 7. I wonder how long Scott Forstall's unbelievable incompentence from iOS 6 will haunt Apple.
After a few years of avoiding Apple Maps like the plague, I'm tentatively giving it another shot as my default maps app. Don't let me down, Apple!

if it breeds it leads
Jan 3, 2001
Forum Veteran
The surface of the glass on my 6 seems to allow my finger to smoothly glide around, and it feels so much better than my 5s.

When I'm using safari and SwiftKey to type a url and auto complete fills it in, tapping go deletes the completion leaving a url fragment and a space after it.

AOTKPTW
Nov 27, 2011

#nalPlE
I've got a 16GB 6 on the way which should be arriving tomorrow. I'm a bit concerned about how little space I'm going to have. I don't have loads of apps, and I use iTunes Match but I'm keen to use the camera a lot and I just know those slo-mo videos are going to fill the space up fast!

I've had a 16GB 4s since release and had no problems with space but on a few occassions I've had to delete all of the stored iTunes Match songs to free up a bit of space, not a problem but I was never particularly trigger happy with the camera before.

Does anybody know roughly how much space the videos take up per minute approximately?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

AOTKPTW posted:

I've got a 16GB 6 on the way which should be arriving tomorrow. I'm a bit concerned about how little space I'm going to have. I don't have loads of apps, and I use iTunes Match but I'm keen to use the camera a lot and I just know those slo-mo videos are going to fill the space up fast!

I've had a 16GB 4s since release and had no problems with space but on a few occassions I've had to delete all of the stored iTunes Match songs to free up a bit of space, not a problem but I was never particularly trigger happy with the camera before.

Does anybody know roughly how much space the videos take up per minute approximately?

Don't quote me on this but I read somewhere it's like 200mb per minute. There's probably a more definitive answer out there.

AOTKPTW
Nov 27, 2011

#nalPlE

spongeworthy posted:

Don't quote me on this but I read somewhere it's like 200mb per minute. There's probably a more definitive answer out there.

At that rate I'll definetely need to swap for a 64GB I think.

I ordered online, am I able to reserve one online for instore pickup and do a swap paying the difference plus restocking fee (if applicable?). I'm in the UK if that matters. I'll give my local store a ring tomorrow but I'm working at the minute.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Anybody in here that upgraded from using an iPhone 5? Curious of your impressions. Most notably, with the jump going to a 6+.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

AOTKPTW posted:

At that rate I'll definetely need to swap for a 64GB I think.

I ordered online, am I able to reserve one online for instore pickup and do a swap paying the difference plus restocking fee (if applicable?). I'm in the UK if that matters. I'll give my local store a ring tomorrow but I'm working at the minute.

So I just did a test recording of one minute length at 60fps and it was 196mb, so it's just about right then.

I have no idea about trading up at the store, it probably depends on their stock..

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
You can unlock an iPhone for $50

davestones
May 7, 2009
Regarding family sharing. Does it work 'both ways'? My wife and I both have separate music etc purchases, if I made my phone the master device would I be able to access her previous purchases or would they remain hers and only hers forever?

AOTKPTW
Nov 27, 2011

#nalPlE

spongeworthy posted:

So I just did a test recording of one minute length at 60fps and it was 196mb, so it's just about right then.

I have no idea about trading up at the store, it probably depends on their stock..

Thanks for that, I'd imagine slow mo video at 240fps is going to use up considerably (4x?) more space, assuming that's how it works.

I think I'll just ring up and see if there's a 14 day time period for returns or something, I may as well see how I get along for a few days but I'm pretty sure 16GB just isn't going to cut it. Every day that passes should make reserving one that little bit easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Is anyone else having problems logging into their Google account for mail/contacts/calendar with 2-Step Verification enabled on their 6? When I set up my 6 I restored it from a backup of my 5s. I can log into my Google account in the YouTube app and in Safari, but it keeps telling me my password is incorrect when I try it in the Settings menu. I had 2-Step enabled on my Google account, and even generating new App Passwords wouldn't go through. Eventually I tried disabling the 2-Step on Google, and now my iPhone accepts my password. Has anyone else had the same problem and been able to fix it? Something tells me it might be because I set it up as a restored version of a different iPhone model, and it would work if I reset my 6 and set it up as a new phone. I'd really prefer not to have to do that, though.