Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.

td4guy posted:

I seriously doubt that you're gonna find a phone running 4.x that qualifies for the SERO $40 plan. The LG Marquee was, like, the last phone released that qualified. Any 3G phone released after ~October 2011 requires the extra $10 Premium Data just like the 4G phones.

Sprint's site says the HTC One M8 qualifies for the plan. I think it runs 4.4.4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Blakkout posted:

Sprint's site says the HTC One M8 qualifies for the plan. I think it runs 4.4.4.

All phones work under the $40 Sero "Plan" But then the 4G $10 addon is also required.

The $30 Original Sero 500 plan last was usable on the HTC Touch Pro 2 I believe before Sero "Premium" was required for any 3G device afterwards.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I'm on SERO with an iPhone 5, got a couple questions:

1. How can I tell if I have an upgrade eligible? When I go to the page it says something about offering an iPhone for life deal or some other thing. It also lists that I can get the iPhone 6 for $199 so I guess that means I have my 2-year available?

2. Should I leave SERO and go to the $50 unlimited plan? I don't really use even close to the 300 minutes but is it worth the extra :10bux: to not have to deal with SERO-only customer service?

Thanks yall.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I'm on SERO with an iPhone 5, got a couple questions:

1. How can I tell if I have an upgrade eligible? When I go to the page it says something about offering an iPhone for life deal or some other thing. It also lists that I can get the iPhone 6 for $199 so I guess that means I have my 2-year available?

Try here.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Excellent. Thank you.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Outside of the bit of hassle to buy a phone, why leave SERO only customer support? They have been way better than trying to go through the hoops of normal support for anyone else I know that has Sprint without SERO...

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

EdEddnEddy posted:

Outside of the bit of hassle to buy a phone, why leave SERO only customer support? They have been way better than trying to go through the hoops of normal support for anyone else I know that has Sprint without SERO...
I dont loving know that why I'm asking! Ive never had to use customer service aside from ordering phones but I literally dont know what the gently caress!

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I would assume that unless you are going to go 100% iPhone for life, that SERO would still be the better option to stay with in the long run incase you ever want to change to a different phone and not pay more at that point.

SERO support has been nothing but great for me when I have needed it which is few and far between. And God knows what the fine print on "Unlimited" is on the iPhone plan vs the older SERO plan which may not mean much, but still.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Is Sprint dying? I think so. What do y'all think?

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

The Bananana posted:

Good riddance.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
About ready to jump ship and go to T-Mobile. Getting texts an hour late or not at all from work and my girlfriend, completely missing calls, etc.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

The Bananana posted:

Probably.

I've heard rumors Verizon is ditching cdma.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Is Sprint really that bad guys? I'm looking to get rid of Verizon, and if it's as bad as it sounds maybe I should look I to T-Mobile?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Dead Pressed posted:

Is Sprint really that bad guys? I'm looking to get rid of Verizon, and if it's as bad as it sounds maybe I should look I to T-Mobile?

Sprint is extremely area dependent. In some areas (like my area), they're very fast, have good coverage, and everything is great. In other areas, you can basically not use your phone.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Dead Pressed posted:

I live in a market that got 4G relatively early. Prior to 4G the network was awful. 3g data speeds were like dial up. Now that LTE is here the service is much better but spotty and still not that fast. My LTE speeds are roughly on par with other networks 3g speeds, and regular sprint 3g is still as useless as ever.

What I hate most about the network is how spotty and location specific it is. For example I have excellent 4g coverage in my house, but go literally a half mile west of my house and it's a dead zone. You can't ever rely on any streaming service while driving because of the spottiness. I am constantly switching from 4g to 3g and back whenever I drive around, and it's something I've never experienced to this extent when I had AT&T and US Cellular prior to Sprint.

If I wasn't on an employee referral plan then I wouldn't be on sprint. No one should have to suffer Sprints network at full price.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

e.pilot posted:

Sprint will too at some point, eventually everything will go over LTE for all providers.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Don't get me wrong, a Sprint is pretty bad, but it's never been bad enough for me to justify any of the "unusable" hyperbole I read on here from time to time. It must be a very location specific thing.

That being said, I have almost zero complaints ever since LTE launched in my area.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

e.pilot posted:

Probably.

Here's a funny thing, I still have my EVO Wimax that I'm still using. As of like a week and half ago, I don't have internet access on it anymore. I guess I need to get off my rear end and get that nexus 5.

DarkestLite
Feb 27, 2007

"Can we fix it?"
"No, it's fucked."
Yeah, I've been fine with Sprint coverage wise, but I live in the SF Bay Area where every phone service is viable, so take that into account.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The only reason why I suffer Sprint is because of how cheap it is for me. $30 a month is really nice for a smartphone plan.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Yeah, that's a good point that I forgot to make. Don't pay full price to be on Sprint. I'm on an old 5 line plan, so I pay $45/month/line for unlimited data/1600 minutes (considering we use ~500 combined/month, it's basically unlimited minutes for us).

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Mahoning posted:

Don't get me wrong, a Sprint is pretty bad, but it's never been bad enough for me to justify any of the "unusable" hyperbole I read on here from time to time. It must be a very location specific thing.

This is typical of my 3g performance on Sprint. It's not hyperbole but I agree it's likely locational.

Phone postin' so I hope this works right.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Grumpwagon posted:

Sprint is extremely area dependent. In some areas (like my area), they're very fast, have good coverage, and everything is great. In other areas, you can basically not use your phone.

Sometimes these areas will be right next to each other.

fake e: I can get LTE on the road at my work, but as soon as I pull in to the parking lot I get unusable 3G.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Blakkout posted:

Let me break it down for you:
$30 SERO: Dumbphones and old Windows Mobile phones.
$40 SERO: 3G smartphones released before October 2011.
$40 SERO + $10 Premium Data: 4G smartphones and all 3G smartphones released after October 2011.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Mahoning posted:

That being said, I have almost zero complaints ever since LTE launched in my area.

It's very location-dependent. Here around Seattle, it tanked some time after they started the Network Vision stuff and never really recovered. I switched to T-Mobile after about six months of them pausing their NV rollout here and couldn't be happier. Meanwhile, a friend of mine's still on Sprint and while he now gets LTE just about everywhere here, he usually has to wait a minute or two just for a YouTube video to buffer. Google Now's voice commands are still hit-or-miss as to whether they can actually send the data over to be analyzed. I don't know what the exact speeds are these days, but when I left, I'd regularly get 0.05mbps down on speed tests with Sprint's LTE, which is actually slower than T-Mobile's EDGE speeds.

Basically, I dropped a SERO plan to switch and I'd do it again. On the other hand, if you're in an area where they have good service, there's really no reason not to stick with them unless you can get a better deal with somebody else.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

e.pilot posted:

Sometimes these areas will be right next to each other.

fake e: I can get LTE on the road at my work, but as soon as I pull in to the parking lot I get unusable 3G.

Yeah, that's largely the case here in Kansas City. I work a few miles away from the Sprint campus and get okay coverage there. But there's some places within the same proximity to the campus where data is basically non-existent, to the point where basic things like google searches time out. If I can pick up an LTE signal it's usually okay, but every once in a while even that is dog slow; 3G is still a crapshoot.

Y2J
Aug 18, 2000

The Ayatollah of Rock and Rollah
The "trade in any iphone for a free iphone 6" (with a new contract) doesn't work with SERO, right? That would be pretty sweet. I dont need a new sprint phone, but I'd love to trade in my 3GS for a new 6 to sell

Hell, it still might be worth getting a new line and free iphone 6, then pay the ETF and sell the phone

From Sprint: "For a limited time, Sprint is offering two special deals: (1) Customers can get a free 16GB iPhone 6, valued at $199.99, after instant credit when they trade-in any used iPhone model at Sprint stores in good working condition5 and sign-up for a two-year agreement."

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Y2J posted:

The "trade in any iphone for a free iphone 6" (with a new contract) doesn't work with SERO, right? That would be pretty sweet. I dont need a new sprint phone, but I'd love to trade in my 3GS for a new 6 to sell

Hell, it still might be worth getting a new line and free iphone 6, then pay the ETF and sell the phone

From Sprint: "For a limited time, Sprint is offering two special deals: (1) Customers can get a free 16GB iPhone 6, valued at $199.99, after instant credit when they trade-in any used iPhone model at Sprint stores in good working condition5 and sign-up for a two-year agreement."

It worked for me on my EPRP plan upgrade. Before this deal announcement, they'd announced that they'd match any carrier's trade-in offer, so I brought an emailed quote from Verizon's trade-in page showing a 4S was $200. Sales guy and manager matched it without any complaint that I was on a discounted employee referral plan. I also got $233 for my 16gb 5, which is what they're going for on Swappa after PayPal fees and shipping.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

Dead Pressed posted:

I'll echo the sentiment that it is pretty location dependant.

On my side of the office I get barely usable 4G. I can't stream anything more demanding than Pandora but Web browsing basically works. However, if I go to the conference room on the other side of the office I'm on 3G and my phone is essentially worthless.

There's no way I could justify paying retail for that but with a decent discount and since 4G is tolerable elsewhere in town it's just good enough that I can't quite justify switching. But it's close.

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...

Dead Pressed posted:

Location, location, location.

And your phone. Had great service in the Boston metro...NYC my iPhone 5 is on 3G half the time. Hoping getting a Spark phone will help fix it. I regret getting rid of Verizon, but I didn't think Sprint could be as bad as it is.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

e.pilot posted:

Probably.

Eventually once VoLTE is the standard for voice. The first VoLTE devices are out in the last few months so it could still be a few years.

Natural Laxative
Aug 20, 2004

With all these new plans and options I find myself confused so I'm hoping for some guidance. I'm on a family plan with my sister right now and I throw her 30 bucks a month for my iPhone 5 on her everything data shared 1500 plan. If I want to upgrade to an iPhone 6 and take advantage of the 200 iPhone trade in they're running right now, would I just renew my contract on her plan or would I need to get one of the new plans? I'm not opposed to getting my own plan, but 30 bucks a month is pretty awesome. I called the sprint store and they said I would need to get a new plan, so I'm double checking with you guys. If I were to get my own account, what's the best way to go, iPhone for life seems to good to be true. Thanks for any guidance.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
I just read about Sprint Spark... you can't multitask a call and a data connection at the same time? Am I reading that right?

So if I'm relying on gps navigation and someone calls me, I'm poo poo out of luck?

I was really looking forward to the note 4...

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Revitalized posted:

I just read about Sprint Spark... you can't multitask a call and a data connection at the same time? Am I reading that right?

So if I'm relying on gps navigation and someone calls me, I'm poo poo out of luck?

I was really looking forward to the note 4...

You can still use GPS NAV as it isn't downloading much after you have locked in your course. Also if the map is already downloaded to your phone then it won't do much at all except when it looks for traffic and alternate routes.

It still sucks no doubt, coming from an EVO LTE which had 2 radios to keep Data while using Voice.. But eh....

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Wait so is spark baked in or can I disable it?

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003
Spark phones only have a single radio inside them, so they are not capable of simultaneous data and cdma voice. This will eventually be resolved by the transition to VoLTE - Voice over LTE, but Sprint hasn't started that yet.

A workaround is to make your calls using a VOIP service. Google Hangouts just recently added support for free outgoing VOIP calls, and incoming calls too if you have one of their free Google Voice numbers.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Well I went against the greater hive mind and am taking an iPhone six for a three day spin to determine if I can drop Verizon. Service is good so far in Knoxville and Internet is baking pretty good so far. Wife was super excited on the YouTube load times in the living room. I've already downloaded a ton of music from my Amazon library and it keeps churning.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Hmm, so on spark, would an incoming call nix the data connection or only upon picking up? I could always just ignore a call if something really didn't need to be interrupted.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Revitalized posted:

Hmm, so on spark, would an incoming call nix the data connection or only upon picking up? I could always just ignore a call if something really didn't need to be interrupted.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/sprints-tri-mode-lte-smartphones-dont-support-simultaneous-voice-and-data/2013-11-19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Dead Pressed posted:

Well I went against the greater hive mind and am taking an iPhone six for a three day spin to determine if I can drop Verizon. Service is good so far in Knoxville and Internet is baking pretty good so far. Wife was super excited on the YouTube load times in the living room. I've already downloaded a ton of music from my Amazon library and it keeps churning.

That's pretty awesome. I get a pretty great 18 mbps about two blocks from my place. But at my place the data is so slow that the speed test ping is in the seconds and I can't even run an actual test.