Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

muscles like this? posted:

The other lead is supposed to be a woman.
I thought it was gonna be like 2 dudes and 2/3 women in the main cast or something for S2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jack Skeleton posted:

I love that exchange where the rappers talk about their normal clothing, you know, what they wear to the farmer's market.

It's really such an amazing show. I hope it gets another season.

Yeah, Sam is great. He's equal parts Donald Gover, Tyler the Creator, and Frank Ocean. Some reviewers got on the show's case about them but I think Sam's a petty accurate depiction of a modern rapper.

I'm curious to see how the show will go in season two of it gets one. I mean, I appreciate the characters maturing and not being terrible people anymore but I really do enjoy the Draco Malfoy rants and cat stealing antics of the characters as the are currently.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

That's where my conflict lies, yeah, which is worse Hannibal rising or the Hannibal tv show

On one hand Hannibal rising is p fuckin bad, otoh it's only like 2 hours long

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 21, 2014

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Stop trying to cause a thing, Occ.

And yeah, Sam and his posse are the most consistently funny characters in YTW.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Toxxupation posted:

That's where my conflict lies, yeah, which is worse Hannibal rising or the Hannibal tv show

Dude you're sliding under even my absolute dumbest trolling with this, and that's a really low bar. I don't even follow the Hannibal show, but what I've seen was really good, if not for me, or you.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

IRQ posted:

Dude you're sliding under even my absolute dumbest trolling with this, and that's a really low bar. I don't even follow the Hannibal show, but what I've seen was really good, if not for me, or you.

Well, you see, Occ doesn't like shows that use violence to tell a story. This is why he also hates Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, and The Americans.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
And anything else that isn't Last Man Standing.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
So is no one interested in Gotham or what? It premieres tomorrow and yet no one has posted in the thread for like a week.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Barry Convex posted:

So is no one interested in Gotham or what? It premieres tomorrow and yet no one has posted in the thread for like a week.

I wasn't until AV Club gave it a B and favorably compared Jada's performance to Ertha Kitt's Catwoman.

Plus what the hell else am I gonna watch before Sleepy Hollow?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
However good or bad Gotham ends up being I think a lot of people here don't want it to succeed for various reasons.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

hcreight posted:

However good or bad Gotham ends up being I think a lot of people here don't want it to succeed for various reasons.

What reasons?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Batman Babies

(I don't necessarily agree on that front, but that seems to be the number one reason)

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
So, Marvel will have shows in the same universe on ABC and Netflix... The CW has two DC shows, Fox has another, and CBS will have one. Even though the latter two don't cross over with the two CW shows... I remember that the TGIF shows all used to jump into one another, but they were all on the same station.

Has there been cross-network crossovers? (Not including Tommy Westphal or Munch stuff, but long term crossover between two shows on different networks).

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Barry Convex posted:

Interested but not excited. Gotham sounds like the kind of show I can die satisfied having never seen.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Tuxedo Jack posted:

So, Marvel will have shows in the same universe on ABC and Netflix... The CW has two DC shows, Fox has another, and CBS will have one. Even though the latter two don't cross over with the two CW shows... I remember that the TGIF shows all used to jump into one another, but they were all on the same station.

Has there been cross-network crossovers? (Not including Tommy Westphal or Munch stuff, but long term crossover between two shows on different networks).

No direct stories but Buffy and Angel had characters crossover after the WB/UPN split.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

MrAristocrates posted:

Batman Babies

(I don't necessarily agree on that front, but that seems to be the number one reason)

That and they'd rather see people involved doing other things.

A new Batman live action show is something I'd watch. A gritty cop drama starring Ben McKenzie and Donal Logue is probably also something I'd watch. But taking the latter and diluting it with fanservicey bullshit from the former just leaves me with the sensation that I could be watching something better. DC/Warner Bros spent a decade doing this stupid routine with Smallville. I'm not all that interested in seeing it again.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Gotham City is a far more interesting character than Batman himself but the two require being informed by each other, which is why THE DARK KNIGHT is so beloved despite not being about Batman. The premise, the potential is all there, though the implication that Gordon and our protagonists are so damned ineffectual that the cast of villains is all there and will still be free twenty years later looms over what all know to come later and will likely sour people very quickly.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Barnaby Jones and Cannon

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

MrAristocrates posted:

Batman Babies

I'm not wildly enthusiastic about it and think it has a deeply, if not fatally, flawed premise owing to the prequel angle (why not just do a straight Gotham Central adaptation?), but I'm curious to see whether it can somehow overcome that.

If it errs too far on the side of being a comic-booky Batman-minus-Batman show, it ceases to work as a prequel (though I'd be fine with that, frankly); if it errs too far on the side of being a more grounded, conventional cop drama populated by characters with familiar names, it runs the risk of alienating viewers tuning in for the Batman elements. It's a very difficult balancing act to pull off.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 21, 2014

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

soapgish posted:

Gotham City is a far more interesting character than Batman himself but the two require being informed by each other

Oh Gotham City is a character? Who is it voiced by? :smuggo:

Toxxupation posted:

Dude, enough with this Hannibal lecture. :agesilaus:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

hcreight posted:

I don't care one way or the other if it succeeds, but I'll have to hear that it's absolutely amazing to overcome my inherent prejudice against it. I'm sick of the "Here's someone who will become a supervillain!" stuff from just the promotional material.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Anyone watching The Intruders on BBC America? I've got five episodes on my DVR and with the fall season starting as well as my month long annual unhealthy over consumption of horror films its time for me to decide whether I delete the show I've never really been that inspired to watch or give it a chance.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Rarity posted:

No direct stories but Buffy and Angel had characters crossover after the WB/UPN split.
Were they crossover events though? I think that would not ever be feasible or even allowed if they weren't on the same network. I think that's why people were sad Supergirl is going to be on CBS whereas Flash/Arrow will be on the CW.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

soapgish posted:

Gotham City is a far more interesting character than Batman himself but the two require being informed by each other, which is why THE DARK KNIGHT is so beloved despite not being about Batman. The premise, the potential is all there, though the implication that Gordon and our protagonists are so damned ineffectual that the cast of villains is all there and will still be free twenty years later looms over what all know to come later and will likely sour people very quickly.

To be fair, the criminals keep escaping in the Batman comics too. I'm sure that the GCPD will put away Penguin et. al. during the course of the series, it's just that they'll keep escaping/being let out on parole/whatever from Arkham Asylum or Ravenholm or wherever the heck they put them in the series.

Basically blame the revolving door prison system, not the GCPD.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

hcreight posted:

That and they'd rather see people involved doing other things.

A new Batman live action show is something I'd watch. A gritty cop drama starring Ben McKenzie and Donal Logue is probably also something I'd watch. But taking the latter and diluting it with fanservicey bullshit from the former just leaves me with the sensation that I could be watching something better. DC/Warner Bros spent a decade doing this stupid routine with Smallville. I'm not all that interested in seeing it again.

One of those gets cancelled after 8 episodes.

Guess which.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

lelandjs posted:

To be fair, the criminals keep escaping in the Batman comics too. I'm sure that the GCPD will put away Penguin et. al. during the course of the series, it's just that they'll keep escaping/being let out on parole/whatever from Arkham Asylum or Ravenholm or wherever the heck they put them in the series.

Basically blame the revolving door prison system, not the GCPD.

Honestly the best way to do Gotham, which I am excited for, is to have gordon eventually be the conscious or subconscious cause of all these batman villains, either via a combination of his actions, his own ineptitude, or some misplaced sense of compassion/cruelty that causes these ultimately troubled kids to become the villains they end up being

So what it could do, in its best form, is inform why gordon is so eager to in the nolanverse, help batman: it's partially a sense of guilt and duty of the actions that he took as a rookie which helped cause the crime wave he's so desperate to stop

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Rarity posted:

Actually Season 4 of Angel and Season 7 of Buffy were in lockstep as one group fought Ultimate Good and other fought Ultimate Evil. Some really clever dialogue choices reinforced that.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ravane posted:

Oh Gotham City is a character? Who is it voiced by? :smuggo:
Jennifer Lawrence, last I heard.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

MrAristocrates posted:

Batman Babies

All I know about it is "Batman Babies" and also I think Batman is second only to Superman, albeit a very distant second, in the realm of horrifically boring superheroes (Spiderman is making a strong run for a tie though).

I'll probably watch it, just like I'll watch at least a few of the Flash show, even though the Flash is just boring as a concept.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

Anyone watching The Intruders on BBC America? I've got five episodes on my DVR and with the fall season starting as well as my month long annual unhealthy over consumption of horror films its time for me to decide whether I delete the show I've never really been that inspired to watch or give it a chance.

I only watched the first episode, it seemed well made and acted, it was just slow and brooding with mysterious, cryptic storylines and characters, and I wasn't in the mood for something like that.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, Madam Secretary set a new record for me giving up on a show.

For what it was worth it was the husband sitting on a table talking to enraptured students that did it in. Ugh.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 22, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

lelandjs posted:

Well, Madam Secretary set a new record for me giving up on a show.

On a scale of 1 to Aaron Sorkin, how preachy was it? Cause, seriously, it looks like a love letter from Hollywood to Hillary Clinton.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
My folks like "Ray Donovan", but I've never seen it before, so here's my impressions so far:

These accents are bad.
Jon Voight is phoning it in.
This show isn't even as good as Dexter.

Edit: Oh and the only black guys are gangster murderers and the only black woman is a prostitute.

Edit2: A kid just blew the gently caress up. I think because he was smoking weed? It's Jon Voight's fault for sure.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 22, 2014

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

On a scale of 1 to Aaron Sorkin, how preachy was it? Cause, seriously, it looks like a love letter from Hollywood to Hillary Clinton.

I didn't think it was that bad, and that scene mentioned was within the first 15 minutes. I'm on board for a few more at least. There's some of that preachiness throughout but it's really toned down once the introductions were finished and the plot gets moving.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Actually Season 4 of Angel and Season 7 of Buffy were in lockstep as one group fought Ultimate Good and other fought Ultimate Evil. Some really clever dialogue choices reinforced that.

I didn't catch these dialogue choices. What are you referencing?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Roflex posted:

I didn't think it was that bad, and that scene mentioned was within the first 15 minutes. I'm on board for a few more at least. There's some of that preachiness throughout but it's really toned down once the introductions were finished and the plot gets moving.

I find it hard to judge a show only on the pilot, but I dont like the direction the show went in the second half. First of all it's nothing like The West Wing, because of it's sole focus on Leoni's character, Secretary of State McCord. The pilot had a total of 3 scenes in which she was not present with a total runtime of about 1 minute (all of them focusing on the 2 teenagers she rescued from a Syrian prison). While the casting for the supporting cast is excellent, this show is not an ensemble show, which is sad.

As for the main plot of the pilot, the rescue of 2 american teenagers, the solution is very deus ex machina, with McCord using an old acquaintance (russian spy dude) from her CIA past to get them out, which takes about 3 minutes of screentime.

For me the best part of the episode was McCord and her staff preparing for a dinner with the king of Swatziland and his 9 wifes and I hope the next episodes will focus more on this kind of story, which is more "political" and less secret agent/CIA focused, but it seems the serialized storyline will deal with a CIA conspiracy that killed the former Secretary of State and probably the CIA guy that told McCord about it.

I will probably give the show a few more episodes but only because of it's excellent casting (Željko Ivanek from Damages, Sebastian Arcelus from House of Cards to name just 2).

And please everyone, stop saying this is a show about Hilldog. Leoni's character has sex with her husband (atleast on the weekend, but before she got her current job even on weeknights), doesn't care for polling and worked for the CIA. You could argue that to make her less like Clinton she would have to be black and male.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Irish Joe posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4qIyrTGnM0

Taxi Brooklyn as it was meant to be seen: with a laugh track. Courtesy of The Soup.
Holy poo poo what was happening there? Everything was shooting and exploding and falling down and dying all in the span of 60 seconds or so. It was like a parody of a movie or something.

GreenNight posted:

Stargate Universe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67E-_SQLVRo

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Sep 22, 2014

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Is there an Outlander thread? Asking for a friend. :ninja:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Nope. My friend searched for it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The premiere of </scorpion> crept up on me, but the thread is now up if a mod wants to sticky it: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3666797

• Locked thread