Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

At this point, nobody knows what currency Scotland would use much less any particular industry/export segment.

Fair enough, thanks. I suppose I'll just sit back and watch history unfold. :toot:

Edit: I did find this which is basically non-info, but figured I'd post it for those interested...

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/scotland-independence-vote/scotch-whisky-industry-frets-over-independence-vote-n205596

S.W.O.R.D. Agent fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Whatever happens w/r/t to independence will be a drop in the bucket compared to the growth of the Asian market and the long lead time for ramped up production.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
My family is going to Ireland for a little vacation, and my dad (who's not going) wanted us to bring back some sort of "popular" Irish whiskey.

Not necessarily the best, or most expensive, or whatever. But just something that's the most common, popular, beloved, traditional, etc. etc.

Any ideas?

Also should mention doesn't matter if it's single malt, double, blended, whipped, boiled, roasted, or whatever other stuff they do.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Jameson gets a lot of love as an Irish Whiskey. I believe Redbreast is also popular.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jameson won't get a lot of love in this thread I imagine.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I tried and enjoyed Connemara recently, but it's not exactly a shining example of Irish whisky.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
I feel like a dumb tourist buying whiskey (in Ireland) when the same stuff is available local grocery stores in my parent's home town.

Is there any notable difference in purchasing closer to the source rather than anywhere that's convenient?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

KiddieGrinder posted:

I feel like a dumb tourist buying whiskey (in Ireland) when the same stuff is available local grocery stores in my parent's home town.

Is there any notable difference in purchasing closer to the source rather than anywhere that's convenient?

No.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

spankmeister posted:

Jameson won't get a lot of love in this thread I imagine.

I don't think it's very good, but it is "popular".

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

I'm trying to think of something that's not domestically available.
If you can visit one of the distilleries try getting a bottling not normally sold in stores maybe?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
My understanding is that Powers Gold Label is the most popular whiskey in Ireland, and it's pretty good.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Figured.

Nill posted:

I'm trying to think of something that's not domestically available.
If you can visit one of the distilleries try getting a bottling not normally sold in stores maybe?

I was thinking something similar, but the family members I'm going with aren't drinkers at all, and aren't interested in that. :(

So it looks like it'll be a choice of Powers Gold Label, Jameson, or Redbreast.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Powers John's Lane is pretty good. Don't discount Bushmills either, the 16yo 3 wood is relatively cheap and very nice.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Stultus Maximus posted:

At this point, nobody knows what currency Scotland would use much less any particular industry/export segment.

It would impact the blue-collar workers in the supply chain more than the actual distilleries...the local barley growers, truck drivers and other laboriers probably the most. Anyone who takes advantage of government aid...

Remember that most of these distilleries are operated by shifts of fewer than a dozen people and are heavily computerized/automated. Huge international conglomerates hedge their bets with massive portfolios from all corners of the world. Anyway Scotland probably does have a large economy to thrive on its own. Besides whisky, they have a foothold in tech, finance, shipbuilding, tourism and most importantly energy.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Looking for some recommendations for things to take a look at next.

For the longest time I could not stomach the taste of whiskey due to some incidents in my youth.

A year or two back a friend gave us a bottle of Tullamore Dew and I actually enjoyed it on the rocks. Since then I've found that I like Evan Williams, Bulleit (not the Rye variety), Macallan 12 and my most favorite so far has been Red Breast 12.

I've tried Laphroaig and a few other Islays and definitely am not a huge fan of the smoke.

Any thoughts on some others to try given what I am already drinking?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Is there such a thing as bad batches of Scotch single malts? I bought my first bottles of Ardbeg 10 and Highland Park 12, which I think are fantastic. I'd also tried Glenlivet 12 in a little sampler it seemed decent if a little lighter than Highland Park.

Upon buying a bottle the Glenlivet 12 it tastes foul and bitter on the palette, which I don't remember.

If this wasn't WA state I'd just keep buying whiskys as expensive as those first two, but they are typically $70 minimum after tax. Trader Joes has Glenlivet 12, Aberlour 10, Auchentoshan 12 and Glenfiddich 12 for about $43 after tax. Would I have any luck with those other ones or should I not bother?

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Breaky posted:

For the longest time I could not stomach the taste of whiskey due to some incidents in my youth.

A year or two back a friend gave us a bottle of Tullamore Dew and I actually enjoyed it on the rocks. Since then I've found that I like Evan Williams, Bulleit (not the Rye variety), Macallan 12 and my most favorite so far has been Red Breast 12.

I've tried Laphroaig and a few other Islays and definitely am not a huge fan of the smoke.

The Redbreast is really amazing stuff. I've heart Green Spot is another great Irish, but I've not found any myself. Given your list, I would try a Japanese malt. They don't go in for a lot of smoke, generally. I've really been enjoying Nikka's Miyagkyo 12 year, tastes like apples. You may also like other Speyside malts if you enjoyed the Macallan.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Caddrel posted:

Is there such a thing as bad batches of Scotch single malts? I bought my first bottles of Ardbeg 10 and Highland Park 12, which I think are fantastic. I'd also tried Glenlivet 12 in a little sampler it seemed decent if a little lighter than Highland Park.

Upon buying a bottle the Glenlivet 12 it tastes foul and bitter on the palette, which I don't remember.

If this wasn't WA state I'd just keep buying whiskys as expensive as those first two, but they are typically $70 minimum after tax. Trader Joes has Glenlivet 12, Aberlour 10, Auchentoshan 12 and Glenfiddich 12 for about $43 after tax. Would I have any luck with those other ones or should I not bother?

It's definitely a thing but usually only with lower volume whiskies because it's harder to make a consistent product if you don't have many barrels to blend from.

Because Glenlivet is such a mass market whisky the production volume is very high and as such the consistency should be very high as well, so I would expect it to happen with any other whisky than glenlivet tbh.

However a possibility is that due to increased demand from the Asian market their production can't quite keep up which results into them having to use lower quality whisky and younger whisky (but never younger than the age statement on the label) to blend their product. This results in an overall drop in quality, but it shouldn't be sudden and it should be across the board and not just one bottle.

Incidentally this is one of the reasons why a lot of manufacturers are marketing whiskies with no age statement. This allows them to use younger whiskies (as young as 3 years) in their product.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Goddamn am I glad I'm not a Jack person. Learning my way around a new ABC pricing scheme after moving and OGD BiB is 8 bucks cheaper while Ezra Brooks 90 is literally half the price.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

spankmeister posted:

It's definitely a thing but usually only with lower volume whiskies because it's harder to make a consistent product if you don't have many barrels to blend from.

Because Glenlivet is such a mass market whisky the production volume is very high and as such the consistency should be very high as well, so I would expect it to happen with any other whisky than glenlivet tbh.

However a possibility is that due to increased demand from the Asian market their production can't quite keep up which results into them having to use lower quality whisky and younger whisky (but never younger than the age statement on the label) to blend their product. This results in an overall drop in quality, but it shouldn't be sudden and it should be across the board and not just one bottle.

Incidentally this is one of the reasons why a lot of manufacturers are marketing whiskies with no age statement. This allows them to use younger whiskies (as young as 3 years) in their product.

Thanks, that's what I'd thought. I may give the Aberlour or Auchentoshan a try, but not before tasting them first. They also have Macallan 10 fine oak for the same price and I liked the 12. Ultimately though I should just save the money for better whiskys.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Breaky posted:

I'd definitely try something out of the Balvenie line. Also try out the Tullamore 10 or 12 year, they're both pretty good as well.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Caddrel posted:

That Aberlour is a solid purchase imo.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
Curious to see how it compares to present day bottlings.

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006

KiddieGrinder posted:

Greenspot is very tasty and isn't as ubiquitous as Jameson/Bushmills/Red Breast they also make Yellow Spot which I have not seen in a US store so maybe try for that.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Mollymauk posted:

Greenspot is very tasty and isn't as ubiquitous as Jameson/Bushmills/Red Breast they also make Yellow Spot which I have not seen in a US store so maybe try for that.

I have both and honestly Green Spot is better than Yellow.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Shugojin posted:

I'd definitely try something out of the Balvenie line. Also try out the Tullamore 10 or 12 year, they're both pretty good as well.

Was at a party last night and got into some Balvenie doublewood 17. It was excellent.

Also I've seen Green Spot around will look for that and the Tullamore 10/12 next time we stock up

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
It's been a while since I've posted but in the year since I started drinking scotch I've now had Glenfiddich 15, Glenlivet 12 and 18, Talisker 10 and Storm, Balvenie DoubleWood, Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban, HP 12 and 15, Compass Box King Street Blend, Oban 14, Lag 16, Dalwhinie 15, Old Pulteney 12, and Bunnahabhain 12. So far I've enjoyed everything except the Balvenie, and I'm looking for what to explore next. I don't like thin tasting ultra sweet scotches, so I'm going to move towards Islay next. I also want to try a scotch that's heavy on smoke but lighter on peat if that's possible.

My other question is does anyone have a favorite blend for just sitting back and watching TV and drinking? Nothing complicated but also I don't want it to taste like poo poo. King Street was good but cost the same as HP 12 now. I had one good bottle of Teachers and then two poo poo ones. I don't like JWB much, can't get Black Bottle where I'm at so that leaves Monkey Shoulder and Famouse Grouse. Anyone here like either of those two?

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Famous Grouse is real good. Black Grouse is even better.

Col_Klink
Dec 8, 2012

Schultz!
Joseph Finch and Henry Clay very good bourbons. Booker Noe, Bakers, and Blantons is always good on the medium price. Why oh why cant we find IW Harpers much anymore in Tennessee.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Monkey Shoulder is great stuff. It's all malt whisky, and definitely tastes fuller than Famous Grouse

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

rxcowboy posted:

It's been a while since I've posted but in the year since I started drinking scotch I've now had Glenfiddich 15, Glenlivet 12 and 18, Talisker 10 and Storm, Balvenie DoubleWood, Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban, HP 12 and 15, Compass Box King Street Blend, Oban 14, Lag 16, Dalwhinie 15, Old Pulteney 12, and Bunnahabhain 12. So far I've enjoyed everything except the Balvenie, and I'm looking for what to explore next. I don't like thin tasting ultra sweet scotches, so I'm going to move towards Islay next. I also want to try a scotch that's heavy on smoke but lighter on peat if that's possible.

Lagavulin is an Islay so if you liked that then you should definitely check out more of them. I can vouch for Bowmore and Laphroaig in addition to Lagavulin. I'd recommend the rest of them too but they're hard to find around here or crazy expensive so I haven't gotten to try them yet.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Caddrel posted:

Thanks, that's what I'd thought. I may give the Aberlour or Auchentoshan a try, but not before tasting them first. They also have Macallan 10 fine oak for the same price and I liked the 12. Ultimately though I should just save the money for better whiskys.

FWIW, the condition of your palate also plays a huge role in the perception of whiskey flavors, and that might be part of your bad second experience with Glenlivet 12. I know I've gone back to some of my favorite single malts and bourbons at times and found them really bitter and off-putting, probably largely due to what I had been eating earlier, or a stuffed nose, or who knows what else. Come back to the Glenlivet after a couple days and see if you get the same impression. It could be wildly different.

dennis4167
Mar 30, 2008
Where is a good place to start with hard alchohol?

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006

spankmeister posted:

I have both and honestly Green Spot is better than Yellow.

That's what I've heard from people that have had both. I'll second Connemara as one to try but it's a peated Irish so it's pretty atypical and Tyrconnel is pretty good. While not really a whiskey I really enjoyed the Glendalough Poitíns it's malted barley and sugar beet juice kind of like an Irish moonshine.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

dennis4167 posted:

Whisky's pretty good.

dennis4167
Mar 30, 2008

good jovi posted:

Whisky's pretty good.

Any particular brand I should start with? Keep in mind I am going from Natural Light, Bud Light, Budweiser to Whiskey.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

dennis4167 posted:

Any particular brand I should start with? Keep in mind I am going from Natural Light, Bud Light, Budweiser to Whiskey.

Weller Special Reserve, Antique or 12.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

dennis4167 posted:

Consider reading this post of mine to get a sense of how to go about tasting spirits. There's a technique to it!

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

dennis4167 posted:

Four Roses Small Batch. Worked for my brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

dennis4167 posted:

I suggest grabbing some Makers Mark (the only suggestion so far that you'll actually be able to find everywhere), and making some manhattans or pouring it over ice. Work your way up.

If your goal is to enjoy whisky, then get out there and drink some whisky. Maybe you'll end up hating bourbon and only drinking Islay scotches. Then maybe 5 years later you'll be the opposite. Who knows.