Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
That was an LL thing I think, to let you know you were using MGR if you switched on accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Just beat Metro 2033. Very fun game, although I think when I replay it, I will do it on Spartan although it doesn't seem to make much of a difference since I was buried in ammo by the end.

Like after a certain point, the game just says gently caress it and gives you like 100 and 200 rounds of MGR,

Also, they really want to make it apparent that the bad ending is the canonical one for Last Light. They tell you it about 5 times in the first 2 minutes.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The also have to recap stuff for players coming into the game new.

The game kinda throws chunks of MGR at you near the end because Polis is the last store. Its saying HEY USE ME I AM BULLETS.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
What if I have an air rifle and an auto shotty, game? Ever think about that?!

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
Anybody know a way to rip the soundtrack from these games? I'm not familiar with the .vfs archive file type, but there are a couple songs (maybe redux only?) in game that do not appear on the commercial soundtrack.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
So my computer just had a small stutter during the last second of the Metro 2033 Redux intro, and that's how I learned that the guy in the main menu is Miller. :v:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Just beat Last Light. I think I prefer it over 2033 because it has more interesting characters but the ending could have used a little more work.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

blackguy32 posted:

Just beat Last Light. I think I prefer it over 2033 because it has more interesting characters but the ending could have used a little more work.

I think the whole game would be improved immesuarably if theyd got voice actors that could act, with their voices. It really lets everything else down.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
I think we discussed this earlier in the thread but they did get good voice actors, its just the ones that speak Russian not the ones doing the English VO. If you don't mind walking very slowly through stations and not understanding some of the random background speech running with Russian with Subs is a much better experience.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Dogen posted:

What if I have an air rifle and an auto shotty, game? Ever think about that?!

You're a nub for not bringing an assault rifle into the endgame, so it's all your fault. :colbert:

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Sep 21, 2014

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Turns out the Librarians are no match for two sticky bombs to the face :smug:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Also no match for shambler full of dragons breath and a bunch of arrows

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Wait, is there a Hellsing on Kshatriya?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Azran posted:

Wait, is there a Hellsing on Kshatriya?

In the Metro: Last Light version? Yes there is, but I can't quite remember where I found it.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Sphrin posted:

I think we discussed this earlier in the thread but they did get good voice actors, its just the ones that speak Russian not the ones doing the English VO. If you don't mind walking very slowly through stations and not understanding some of the random background speech running with Russian with Subs is a much better experience.

I feel spoiled since I know Russian because the Russian voice acting is awesome. That's said though I am SO HAPPY they added Russian subtitles to 2033 because my brain sucks and half the time I can't understand what people say in real life-Russian or English-so I need captions in everything, so I really didn't get the whole story in the original 2033.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

StandardVC10 posted:

In the Metro: Last Light version? Yes there is, but I can't quite remember where I found it.

It's in the bathroom of the first set of rooms after the big room with the first librarian.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Is it weird that I never really used the P90/Kalash 1012? I know that in Metro 2003, the AK-74 had a noticeable power difference over the P90, which made the AK-74 the best assault rifle for Ranger Hardcore. I tried the P90 for a bit in Last Light, but wasn't very impressed. Should I give it a shot in my LL Ranger Hardcore run?

Plus, it's Russia; pew-pew space poo poo like the P90 has no room in a world dominated by AKs. :colbert:

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I didn't find out until after I finished Last Light that you can find an RPK very early on in the game, in the prison break level. Which is a shame because it's far and away my favourite MGR-using gun in the game.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

closeted republican posted:

Is it weird that I never really used the P90/Kalash 1012? I know that in Metro 2003, the AK-74 had a noticeable power difference over the P90, which made the AK-74 the best assault rifle for Ranger Hardcore. I tried the P90 for a bit in Last Light, but wasn't very impressed. Should I give it a shot in my LL Ranger Hardcore run?

Plus, it's Russia; pew-pew space poo poo like the P90 has no room in a world dominated by AKs. :colbert:

Honestly, I chose the RPK over the Kalash. Its just cooler that way :colbert:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

blackguy32 posted:

Honestly, I chose the RPK over the Kalash. Its just cooler that way :colbert:

I used the RPK in my first run and it loving owns. It's better than the AK-74 in looks and effectiveness.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

How are the DLC missions? I tried the Kshatriya one for a brief moment and I will definitely be going back to that one.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

*The Reich one is a glorified turret section with a buggy end boss.
*The Red Line one is a stealth sniper section which I haven't been able to complete due to being detected constantly. :argh:
*Kshatriya is amazing.
*Pavel is a stealth/action segment which I personally enjoyed a lot. The QTE at the beginning will make you fail it the first time though, since it is not really obvious what you have to do.
*Khan is relatively short but provides some information about his past. I liked it.
*Anna has a sniping segment, followed by combat/stealth. It's basically the Ashes chapter seen through Anna's eyes. I enjoyed it.
*Tower is a really challenging combat simulator.
*Developer Pack is the place where you can gently caress around with all the weapons. I wish the Arena had more variety though.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

I also learned to respect the tikhar this playthrough, something I completely ignored before, but only when you pimp it out with a nightscope and valve. The new railgun derivative is fun too. Disappointed in the bicycle shotgun, I thought it would be more entertaining or something. I mean I love the concept, they did a great job designing almost-plausible junk guns.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yeah the airtight valve really makes the tikhar a good all around gun, although it was a solid "oh I can't hit this guy with a throwing knife for whatever reason" substitute previously.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I just got to Venice last night. I find both 2033 and Last Light are very slow to get started but a couple hours in they start to get good when you don't have to follow NPCs in heavily scripted sequences. Hopefully if they make a third one we get even bigger levels to explore. I would like to see way more stuff on the surface.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Azran posted:

*The Reich one is a glorified turret section with a buggy end boss.
*The Red Line one is a stealth sniper section which I haven't been able to complete due to being detected constantly. :argh:
*Kshatriya is amazing.
*Pavel is a stealth/action segment which I personally enjoyed a lot. The QTE at the beginning will make you fail it the first time though, since it is not really obvious what you have to do.
*Khan is relatively short but provides some information about his past. I liked it.
*Anna has a sniping segment, followed by combat/stealth. It's basically the Ashes chapter seen through Anna's eyes. I enjoyed it.
*Tower is a really challenging combat simulator.
*Developer Pack is the place where you can gently caress around with all the weapons. I wish the Arena had more variety though.

How do I get the Faction Pack now? I have Last Light (not Redux), the chronicles pack and ranger mode, but Steam seems to only carry Redux now? and even that doesn't link to any DLC for it? and searching via google instead of the Steam client gives me a link to what I want but clicking it just forwards to Steam's homepage?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

You are expected to buy the Redux edition right now. You can still get it through trading sites like dispenser.tf, Dotalounge, etc, but normally for retail prices. :(

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

I just got to Venice last night. I find both 2033 and Last Light are very slow to get started but a couple hours in they start to get good when you don't have to follow NPCs in heavily scripted sequences. Hopefully if they make a third one we get even bigger levels to explore. I would like to see way more stuff on the surface.

I really wish there was a way to skip some of this stuff for replays. It's great the first time but wears a little. Playing through the reduxes it reminded me I have had the same issue with Half-Life/2, and that got me thinking they're both pretty good inheritors of that lineage.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Dogen posted:

I really wish there was a way to skip some of this stuff for replays. It's great the first time but wears a little. Playing through the reduxes it reminded me I have had the same issue with Half-Life/2, and that got me thinking they're both pretty good inheritors of that lineage.

I usually pace my playthroughs far enough that I don't mind hanging with Bourbon or Pavel by the time I start a new run, but it's pretty annoying when you're going through a level just to get a specific achievement and you have to wait for your partner to go through the motions first. I don't mind the Baby Dark One because he doesn't gate off any areas, but seriously Pavel, I know exactly what you're going to do; just get it over with and let me get the journal entry I'm missing.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Started reading 2033 and I see the expanded universe has a hell of a lot of short stories, hope those get translated and collected at some point. I'm eager to read about the Petersburg metro system since that was my commute to class once and the stations are gorgeous.

I'm suddenly reminded of Erofeev's Moscow-Petruski (or Moscow to the End of the Line), a dissident story from the late Soviet period about a guy who falls asleep on the train, misses his much-storied destination, and wakes up while the train is on its way back. Then he wanders around drunk and gets murdered. The use of train tracks and retreading your steps as metaphors for time/history/historical repetition, and of the paradoxical narration-beyond-death, which is one of the endings for Last Light. I'm fascinated by the recurring themes in Russian scifi/fantasy.

TheEffect
Aug 12, 2013
Can't find a 2033 Redux thread so I'll just ask here-

There are a lot of great reviews for this game, but I'm not really into it. Besides the graphics being sort of a let-down even with all settings on max (despite how GPU + CPU intensive the engine is) the gameplay itself seems clunky. It reminds me of Stalker, which I also didn't really enjoy.

I like to play all games on hard because these days games are just way too short, but in this case I'm wondering if I made a mistake. I chose the hardest difficulty as well as Ranger mode. Should I restart without enabling Ranger mode, or if I don't like the game now will my opinion pretty much stay the same?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Did you pick Spartan or Survival mode? Survival mode makes it so the shooting is clunkier, while Spartan makes it slick as Last Light, as far as I know.

TheEffect
Aug 12, 2013

Azran posted:

Did you pick Spartan or Survival mode? Survival mode makes it so the shooting is clunkier, while Spartan makes it slick as Last Light, as far as I know.

I picked survival because I figured that's how the game is supposed to be played.

This is good to know, I'll re-try the game on spartan and see if I like it any better. Thanks!

TheEffect fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 23, 2014

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Survival is, in general, a much harder experience than Spartan. You're shittier at combat, stealth is harder, and everything is much more scarce. Spartan is a little bit easier, mostly because you're great at headshots and enemies are a little bit worse at stealth, mostly because there's a bullet in their face.

Ranger Hardcore is pretty great, but it's basically glass cannon mode. Everything dies easily, including you. you won't super need a lot of bullets, which is good because you'll never easily know how many you have on hand. But if you consider that each ammo pick up gives you 1-3 bullets, you won't be far off. You'll have zero UI elements out of certain things, so if it looks like a QTE, mash the use button (E key by default).

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Spartan Ranger Normal would be good for a first playthrough, probably. Remember also that it's rare that you'll go guns blazing, usually just against packs of nosalises or lurkers. Most of the rest of the time it'll get you killed, at least until you have a better idea of what you're doing.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Personally, i've only played on Normal and Ranger Hardcore. So while I have useful advice for Ranger Hardcore, I'm not sure how much it translates to Ranger Normal. Like I know that in RHC a revolver can OHK Nosalises and Watchmen with a single headshot. Unaware Nosalsies can go down to a single knife and possibly a headshot from the VSV (Though i know that Watchmen go down to a single VSV headshot. They all fall to Shambler and Duplet shots quickly enough, within a fairly close range, though it'll take you a few tries to dial in the distance, the Long Barrel shambler can keep any nosalsies from hoping on Regina in her mission. The Hellsing is one of the best guns you'll find in the game (you can find one part way through the Dead City level with Bourbon in 2033) since it's ammo is recyclable and totally silent.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Speaking of which, I was pleasantly surprised to hear that (Don't read unless you have beaten Metro 2033 and the Pavel mission in Last Light)Bourbon is still alive. :unsmith:

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Both games went on sale again on Steam today. Time to restart Last Light, good thing I wasn't too far into my second playthrough.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Throwing knives are one hit kills to non boss enemies on any difficulty I think. Head shots are from most guns. The main difference in hardcore is the disappearing HUD and body shot damage from Kalash et al, which is generally to the player's disadvantage.

blackguy32 posted:

Speaking of which, I was pleasantly surprised to hear that (Don't read unless you have beaten Metro 2033 and the Pavel mission in Last Light)Bourbon is still alive. :unsmith:

Where'd you hear that? It says the opposite on the ending of LL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Dogen posted:

Throwing knives are one hit kills to non boss enemies on any difficulty I think. Head shots are from most guns. The main difference in hardcore is the disappearing HUD and body shot damage from Kalash et al, which is generally to the player's disadvantage.

Where'd you hear that? It says the opposite on the ending of LL.

Librarians and nosalises would beg to differ. As would the ultra-heavy infantry types. And shrimps too I think. And demons.

• Locked thread